Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-24-2013, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default Russian "Peter the Great" M91's.

I was admiring another member's Westinghouse M91 when the subject of Russian "unFinned" M91's came up, with the implication that they were not all that common. It made me recall that I have a couple of "unFinned" M91's that I believe are referred to as "Peter the Great" M91's, although I'm not sure why.

I dug them out of the safe this afternoon to take a closer look and a few pictures.

One is dated 1914 and the other 1915.

Stocks look solid, bores are decent, a few, but not many matching parts, not an "SA" anywhere to be found.

I need to get these out andshoot them.

Last edited by Mustang; 09-07-2014 at 8:41 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice rifles!

They are called "Peter the Great" because that is apparently what the markings translate to.
I believe because that was what the Tula arsenals full name was at that point. "Tula Emperor Peter the Great Ordnance Factory"

Quote:
Tula "Peter the Great" Imperial
M91
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-24-2013 at 4:14 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 4:13 PM

Nice! Love the Russian text on the receiver. Shoot it at the next silhouette match and show Paul or Vern how it's done the Russian way.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Chaos...that clears up the mystery.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
Nice! Love the Russian text on the receiver. Shoot it at the next silhouette match and show Paul or Vern how it's done the Russian way.
What? And risk forever more being mocked by you if I don't score a 40?

I couldn't take that chance...
Old 06-24-2013, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Thanks, Chaos...that clears up the mystery.
Yup! That has long been one of my favorite markings. I'd love to have one like that on a 91/30 let alone an original 91... let alone two! hah

Quote:

LOL
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 06-24-2013, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Nice M91's.

The factory was indeed Tula. The reason why they put "Peter the Great" on the barrels with an enlarged eagle was due to Tula Ordance being renamed.

It was known by that name from 1912 to 1918.

1912 was the 200th Anniversary of the of founding of the Tula Ordnance factory by Czar Peter I the Great in 1712. It was renamed in his honor. That's the theory.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:00 PM

Mustang, beautiful rifles my man! One of my dream guns, so if you ever decide to part with one, you know who to call. Chaos is 100% on the translation, but the literal translation would be "weapons factory".

Side note, how do you guys post pics in the thread, not as attachments?
Old 06-24-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:

As you know I'm not a fan of these rifles but do appreciate the very cool markings on the receiver.

There would be no risk whatsoever of not scoring a perfect 40 as it is a sure thing from these sub MOA rifles.

We missed you and your sons shooting your Ljungman or Hakim at the semi auto match Saturday.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Edvil an dawg.

I appreciate the backstory on these rifles.

edvil...you can post direct images by loading the images onto Photobucket and then click on the "image link" and paste in your post.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
Nice M91's.

The factory was indeed Tula. The reason why they put "Peter the Great" on the barrels with an enlarged eagle was due to Tula Ordance being renamed.

It was known by that name from 1912 to 1918.

1912 was the 200th Anniversary of the of founding of the Tula Ordnance factory by Czar Peter I the Great in 1712. It was renamed in his honor. That's the theory.
Ah yea now I remember reading about the 200 year anniversary being the reason of the name change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvil91 View Post
Mustang, beautiful rifles my man! One of my dream guns, so if you ever decide to part with one, you know who to call. Chaos is 100% on the translation, but the literal translation would be "weapons factory".

Side note, how do you guys post pics in the thread, not as attachments?
Well the photo I posted was hotlinked from a website on the web.
Right click a photo and select "copy image URL"
Then in the quick reply box click the little yellow square with a mountain icon and then past the address into the box that pops up (Or just use the image tags [ IMG] URL [ /IMG] without the spaces)

If you need to upload a photo I suggest http://tinypic.com/
Go thru the steps it tells you and then at the end it will even give you the url with the IMG tags all ready to be pasted into your post

Old 06-24-2013, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
As you know I'm not a fan of these rifles but do appreciate the very cool markings on the receiver.

There would be no risk whatsoever of not scoring a perfect 40 as it is a sure thing from these sub MOA rifles.

We missed you and your sons shooting your Ljungman or Hakim at the semi auto match Saturday.
Thanks, Juanito. There was a family reunion on Sunday and I wasn't able to make the semi auto match. I'll be there for the next one though

Just "Joshing" about the "risk". I've never shot these and will do so and let you know if they are sub MOA or not.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:08 PM

Use the IMG tags. [ img ] url.jpg [ /img ] no spaces
Old 06-24-2013, 5:10 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice pair Steve. They are not as common as the Finnish property stamped ones. Too bad they scrubbed the eagles on yours, but that's just part of the history... it's very common for that period.

I have had a few of those over the years but I prefer the Finnish versions; M-24, M-28, etc, so I've traded off the ones that don't do it for me. Here's an old crusty Remington though... no Finn stamps, beat to hell, left out in the cold

Old 06-24-2013, 6:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tula,_Russia

In 1712, Tula was visited by Peter the Great, who commissioned the Demidov blacksmiths to build the first armament factory in Russia. Several decades later, Tula was turned by the Demidovs into the greatest ironworking center of Eastern Europe. The oldest museum in the city, showcasing the history of weapons, was inaugurated by the Demidovs in 1724, and Nicholas-Zaretsky Church in the city houses their family vault. The first factory to produce samovars industrially was also established there in the course of the 18th century. After the Demidovs moved the center of their manufacture to the Urals, Tula continued as a center of heavy industry, particularly in the manufacture of matériel.
In the 1890s, Ivan Savelyev, a medical orderly, became the founder of Social Democracy in Tula, and set up a workers' study circle[12]
The city grew rapidly in the early 20th century as a result of arms production during the 1905 Russo-Japanese War and World War I. Tula's factories also manufactured weapons for the Red Army during the Russian Civil War of 1918-1921.
During the Great Patriotic War (World War II) of 1941-1945, the city was important in the production of armaments. Tula became the target of a German offensive to break Soviet resistance in the Moscow area between October 24 and December 5, 1941. The heavily fortified city held out, however, and Guderian's Second Panzer Army was stopped near Tula. The city secured the southern flank during the Battle of Moscow and the subsequent counter-offensive. Tula was awarded the title Hero City in 1976. It is home to the Klokovo air base.
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 06-24-2013, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
Nice pair Steve. They are not as common as the Finnish property stamped ones. Too bad they scrubbed the eagles on yours, but that's just part of the history... it's very common for that period.

I have had a few of those over the years but I prefer the Finnish versions; M-24, M-28, etc, so I've traded off the ones that don't do it for me. Here's an old crusty Remington though... no Finn stamps, beat to hell, left out in the cold

Thanks, Brian.

I like long rifles and that may explain why I like the M91's. I've got a Finn'd Westinghouse, an "unFinned" Remington, and a number of Tika, VKT and B barrel Finnish M91's. Even a stepped barrel 1927.

They are great rifles and like you, I'm partial to the Finnish variety.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Here is my pre-war Tula M91. This is what one looks like before the 1912 models were introduced.

Old 06-24-2013, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tula,_Russia

In 1712, Tula was visited by Peter the Great, who commissioned the Demidov blacksmiths to build the first armament factory in Russia. Several decades later, Tula was turned by the Demidovs into the greatest ironworking center of Eastern Europe. The oldest museum in the city, showcasing the history of weapons, was inaugurated by the Demidovs in 1724, and Nicholas-Zaretsky Church in the city houses their family vault. The first factory to produce samovars industrially was also established there in the course of the 18th century. After the Demidovs moved the center of their manufacture to the Urals, Tula continued as a center of heavy industry, particularly in the manufacture of matériel.
In the 1890s, Ivan Savelyev, a medical orderly, became the founder of Social Democracy in Tula, and set up a workers' study circle[12]
The city grew rapidly in the early 20th century as a result of arms production during the 1905 Russo-Japanese War and World War I. Tula's factories also manufactured weapons for the Red Army during the Russian Civil War of 1918-1921.
During the Great Patriotic War (World War II) of 1941-1945, the city was important in the production of armaments. Tula became the target of a German offensive to break Soviet resistance in the Moscow area between October 24 and December 5, 1941. The heavily fortified city held out, however, and Guderian's Second Panzer Army was stopped near Tula. The city secured the southern flank during the Battle of Moscow and the subsequent counter-offensive. Tula was awarded the title Hero City in 1976. It is home to the Klokovo air base.
Thanks for the background, glennsche
Old 06-24-2013, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
Here is my pre-war Tula M91. This is what one looks like before the 1912 models were introduced.
Nice Dawg.

The scrubbed Imperial eagles got me checking some of my other M91's. My Remington has some pretty intact birds...

Old 06-24-2013, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Those are pretty big birds too.

I think the American contract rifles were based off of the Peter the Great models.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, please put my name in the hat for your giveaway.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 AM

Very nice! Your 1915 looks just like mine!
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV & CA

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 06-25-2013, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenax View Post
Very nice! Your 1915 looks just like mine!
Thanks, jigenax.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Never even heard of these before, learn something new everyday. Thanks, Mustang, for posting.

Rifles look great!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Happy to do it, Gutz.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

A pic of my Remington M-91.

A genuine unmolested rifle.

Another M-91
With intact eagles and Austrian property marks "AZF". It's also Finn'ed with the boxed "SA" marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM

gents,

do the PtG mosins ever have the brass trimmings? does anyone know why some of the mosins have em in front of the rear sight and at the end of the lower handguard near the front sight, and others dont?

after this thread i put this type of mosin on my list of things to get... *sigh*.. a list that never shrinks..

aaaaand as usual, SVT wins the thread. absolutely superb rifle.
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM

The handguards with the 2 brass end caps are a late dragoon item that was designed around late 1926 to replace the then current version of the dragoon handguard that had a brass endcap at the front and wooden "ears" at the back that wrapped around the front of the rear sight base. These dragoon handguards were rather fragile at the bak, so the ears were deleted and the brass endcap added.

This style was used on the 91/30 also, up until 1942, when the brass endcaps were replaced with steel. Late dragoon and early 91/30 brass endcaps are identifiable by the large and visible copper, then brass, rivets that hold the end caps on. Later versions of the brass end caps had smaller brass rivets, then went to a crimped on style.

Model 91 handguards do not have the metal endcaps, but do have the little metal "fingers" that go under the bands to hold the hand guard on. Early original M91 handguards have brass or copper rivets holding the fingers on, later replacement handguards have white metal rivets.
Old 07-19-2013, 5:41 AM
Calguns Addict

when my mosin frenzy started a found a 1907 TULA M-91. it had nice metal and the wood was ok for a 100 year old rifle. the commies scrubbed off almost all the imperial markings. after cleaning it i decided i would never shoot it so i used it for shooter trade bait.
you have some very nice rifles their.
Old 07-19-2013, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
The handguards with the 2 brass end caps are a late dragoon item that was designed around late 1926 to replace the then current version of the dragoon handguard that had a brass endcap at the front and wooden "ears" at the back that wrapped around the front of the rear sight base. These dragoon handguards were rather fragile at the bak, so the ears were deleted and the brass endcap added.

This style was used on the 91/30 also, up until 1942, when the brass endcaps were replaced with steel. Late dragoon and early 91/30 brass endcaps are identifiable by the large and visible copper, then brass, rivets that hold the end caps on. Later versions of the brass end caps had smaller brass rivets, then went to a crimped on style.

Model 91 handguards do not have the metal endcaps, but do have the little metal "fingers" that go under the bands to hold the hand guard on. Early original M91 handguards have brass or copper rivets holding the fingers on, later replacement handguards have white metal rivets.
great info sir. thank you.
Old 07-19-2013, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

Mustang, you better clean up that rust (I mean patina) on the second one.
Old 07-22-2013, 2:43 PM

i bid and lost on one of these this morning. once it went north of 250 i kinda loss interest.

is that what they go for now? i thought only the minty westinghouses were at that level now.
Old 07-22-2013, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
i bid and lost on one of these this morning. once it went north of 250 i kinda loss interest.

is that what they go for now? i thought only the minty westinghouses were at that level now.
I don't think I have seen many M-91s for sale recently at less than $250, especially if it is one that survived in the wild without having gone to Finland
Old 07-22-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

I think minty M91's of any stripe go for more than $250.

I got mine some time back and have not been following the market.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

$300 and up seems to be the pricing nowadays.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:32 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Very nice, thanks for the pic's. -g
Old 07-23-2013, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

The serial numbers on the sides of the receiver are likely added by the importer. I'm guessing there are small import marks on the end of the barrel near the muzzle?

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 07-23-2013, 1:37 PM

SVT-40, your collection never ceases to amaze. I only have my humble M91 Remington contract, with intact Imperial Russian iconography:

Old 07-23-2013, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
I'd love to have one like that on a 91/30 let alone an original 91... let alone two!
Actually no 91/30 rifles have "Peter The Great" markings. as the 91/30 did not appear until 1930.