Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Thumbs down 10 GA. autos being discontinued

Seems like all the 10GA. autos are/or have been discontinued...
Though I would get back into waterfowl hunting, and get a big 10 auto, but all my searches come up with used guns only.

Really wanted a Browning Gold w/o the camo, but even the last camo version appears non-existant.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM
I'd like my state back.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Close enough to see it but not close enough to smell it.
Smile

3.5 inch 12 gauge filled that need a while back.

Check the History Channel for what used to be standard equipment.

Let me know if you find an Ithaca Roadblocker though...

For a country founded by the average man rising up against an oppressive government, we sure have an obsession about not giving up our guns.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM

Can you even find 10ga shells on a regular basis?

I've been tempted on a couple used 10ga for giggles, but as a practical gun? Nope. Have a Citori with 3.5" chambers, plenty to knock a goose out of low orbit, and it doesn't feel like you're humping in an artillery piece getting to the blind.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
artillery piece
Hahaha... yeah.

Two years ago there was in the "previously-pwnt" longrifle aisles at Retting a 10 ga bolt gun. Would that have been a single-shot? (I don't recall a mag well) Thing must have had a 36+" barrel! It was awesome.

I wondered what it'd be like with the barrel cut down to 20" for use as a "camp defender". Sacrilege! some might say. I forget what they were asking for it.

Pardon the thread detour.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 PM

^Marlin 59 goose gun 2shot mag 1 in the pipe. Remington SP10

http://www.remington.com/en/products...gnum-camo.aspx

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+10g+26%22+INF

Last edited by 11011500a; 06-23-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
3.5 inch 12 gauge filled that need a while back.

Check the History Channel for what used to be standard equipment.

Let me know if you find an Ithaca Roadblocker though...
I disagree, and have reached out and dropped the same target after my buddy with a 3.5" 12 just scratched its tail. Plus, 3.5" 12's actually have worse recoil than the 10's. Being about 2/3 the weight is better to carry, but not for recoil!
Old 06-24-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalGSG View Post
I disagree, and have reached out and dropped the same target after my buddy with a 3.5" 12 just scratched its tail. Plus, 3.5" 12's actually have worse recoil than the 10's. Being about 2/3 the weight is better to carry, but not for recoil!
More recoil, yes, but not unmanageable recoil, and your goose gun can be used for things other than geese, big plus IMHO. As far as effectiveness, hard to judge with a shotgun, since it "just scratched the tail", you sure he didn't just miss? What velocity shells was he shooting vs. you? What choke an how does it pattern compared to your gun? What size shot? Both steel shot, or was he shooting a different material? How much time was there between your shots?

Not being argumentative, just playing the Devil's advocate, as a single goose, or even multiple geese aren't really that great of a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11011500a View Post
^Marlin 59 goose gun 2shot mag 1 in the pipe.
The Super Goose! Coolest name for a shotgun ever, or at least a strong top 10. That's one I want to own simply because it's got a cool name, and they're cheap.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11011500a View Post
SP-10: Click on specs and you will see that it is listed as discontinued.

Thanks for the Bud's lead! Checking the limit on my credit card...
Old 06-24-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Not legal on any of the refuges I hunt; I don't think it's legal on ANY California refuge. If you're lucky enough to have you own blind in a club or something, well, the cost of running a 10 instead of a 12 probably doesn't bother you either.

All things being equal, the 10's should pattern better than 3.5 inch 12s. For my money I'll stick with 3 inch 12 gauge after I finish off my box of 3.5 inch shells.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:48 PM

http://www.remington.com/en/products...10-magnum.aspx

^Found it, when looking at Rem site I read it was still in production. Enjoy & cry later .
Old 06-24-2013, 9:54 PM
CGN Contributor

I have a Remington SP-10. It's exactly the same gun as Ithaca used to make. I bought mine with 30" and 26" barrels with 3 chokes each for turkeys and geese. I still ended up buying a Pattern Master choke and it works great. Recoil is not really much worse than a 12 gauge auto with 3-1/2' shells. The gun is pretty heavy which helps with recoil but kinda heavy for long hikes.

Only advantage I see with the gun is that you are putting close to 30% more shot in the air at roughly the same speed for steel (#2 @ 1450 FPS) compared to a 12 gauge w/3-1/2". I don't believe it reaches further, although it might. I just don't take a lot of long shots because we have rules about sky scraping in my duck club.

Ammo is available for steel and lead but I would not make this my primary shotgun for ducks and geese because ammo is pretty expensive.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:58 AM

I'd rather shoot a 10 than a 3.5 12 ga. Having done both, the long 12 was a nice package of misery in a little hull.

A place not far from here had some 10ga buckshot loads and even slugs. Wonder if you could SEE those slugs fly? they gotta be big enough.
Old 06-25-2013, 1:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For all you 10 gauge guys who aren't recoil sensitive, you can still buy the Browning BPS in 10 gauge.

I had the unfortunate experience to shoot a 10 ga side by side while goose hunting. First mistake was picking it up, second mistake was pulling both triggers simultaneously. Once I gained my senses back, 2 honkers were stone cold and one cripple that the dog made an awesome retrieve on. It was a success in one way and misery in another... I hope I never see that gun again!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Not legal on any of the refuges I hunt; I don't think it's legal on ANY California refuge...
Legal in all National Wildlife Refuges, that I can tell.
Don Edwards/ SF-Bay and Salinas River are ones I would hunt. I'm not waiting in some line for the privilege to hunt the central valley.
Horrible memories of hunting Los Banos W.A., in my youth.
I'm aware of the pros/cons of a 10GA. over 3.5" 12GA.

Last edited by JohnCCW; 06-25-2013 at 9:57 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

The Browning light 10 is still listed on the Browning web page as are extra barrels are listed. I can say that the light 10 is a dream to shoot.. though even if you reload, they are a bit pricey to feed.. but then the premium 12 ga ammo can get prohibitively expensive if you feed it the more esoteric stuff like heavy shot, bismuth, etc.. Steel hunting ammo is a bit easier to find for the 12 over the 10.. but if you reload, there are ample components available for the 10.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
Legal in all National Wildlife Refuges, that I can tell.
Don Edwards/ SF-Bay and Salinas River are ones I would hunt. I'm not waiting in some line for the privilege to hunt the central valley.
Horrible memories of hunting Los Banos W.A., in my youth.
I'm aware of the pros/cons of a 10GA. over 3.5" 12GA.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...54748&inline=1
Page 31, section 551(b) paragraph 2
"(2) Except as otherwise provided, no shotguns larger than twelve gauge and no rifles, pellet guns, combination rifle-shotguns, pistols, archery equipment, or revolvers shall be possessed in the field or discharged on any Type A or Type B areas. All legal firearms and archery equipment may be used on Type C areas unless prohibited (see subsection 551(q))."

There doesn't seem to be any specifics allowing anything larger than 12 gauge on any of the Type A or B areas, with the interesting proviso that at least one area explicitly re-prohibits anything larger than 12 gauge.

So, technically I was still wrong, 10 gauge is illegal on Type A and Type B areas, but not Type C (which is what I usually hunt, Don Edwards in fact, I'll probably see you out there in the upcoming season).

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 06-26-2013 at 9:35 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

If you're in Madera county aren't there any Type C or B areas around you that hold ducks closer than Salinas or DE? Don't get me wrong, I like hunting DE, but I live 20 minutes away and don't have a problem eating ducks that have been eating mussels.