Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Bad Weekend at Oaktree

I guess they had a small fire in pistol bay 3 yesterday. It was still closed and there was quite a wait. Today (Sunday morning) someone went down and was not breathing - fire department again. Hope that person recovers.

I wandered over to the reloading store and was pleased to find out they got in a large order. Scored 8lbs of Unique. As of 10:30, he still had 2 8lb kegs remaining. Nothing smaller in Unique but looked like he had lots of other stuff in inventory.

Edit - I hadn't been there in a month or so. Now .22lr rifles are no longer allowed in the steel bay. It seems some dork shot at one of the 10yd targets, which were prohibited to shoot at with a .22lr rifle, hit one of the supports and had a ricochet which caused injury to another person. One jerk ruins it for all of us again. We can only hope they don't get sued out of existence!

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.

Last edited by Aldemar; 06-23-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Too bad. I was going to take my dedicated .22 rimfire AR to plink at steel. Once again the rights of many are trampled because somebody doesn't follow the rules.

Randy
NRA Life Member
Old 06-23-2013, 4:36 PM

You can thank the LEO's for shooting tracers through their M4s.

I was paintballing right down the street that day, it was a close one. I am really good friends with the owner of the paintball field and he told what happened. He got the word from a friend/employee at Oaktree, but don't quote me.
Old 06-23-2013, 5:12 PM

awesome, why do they even need tracers?
Old 06-23-2013, 7:11 PM

So they can see where their misses are going... Ha ha
Old 06-23-2013, 8:46 PM

Was there today. To confirm, the kid behind the counter at the restaurant said it was a tracer that caused the fire.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 06-24-2013, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassburnz View Post
Too bad. I was going to take my dedicated .22 rimfire AR to plink at steel. Once again the rights of many are trampled because somebody doesn't follow the rules.
FWIW, you can still use it in the paper bays.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

I was jonesing to go shooting yesterday, but got sidetracked. Kind of glad I didn't now. Hope the fire didn't damage too much.

The .22 on the steel range ban is silly though. Because of one injury? That's why they have people sign waivers, no?
Old 06-24-2013, 1:37 PM

I was there when the fire started, Saturday, about noon. However, I had just left the rifle range, and sat down to watch the first clay shoot, with the kids, and the 5 direction launchers.
Someone said, oh, they have a fire going over there, and the flames were lapping up the first ridge, beyond the pistol range. At least we thought it was beyond the pistol range, just to the north, and it looked like that, also, not in the range proper at all.
At that point about half the shooters packed up and left, as did I.
It was going strong at that time, and so I suppose it burned a few acres before they got it out.
dc
Old 06-24-2013, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post
You can thank the LEO's for shooting tracers through their M4s.

Uh....gonna call BS on that. I don't know a single agency that has or uses tracers....there's no point.
Old 06-24-2013, 1:55 PM
CGN Contributor

Yeah, super bummed about the no .22lr rifles policy in the metal shooting gallery. It's one of the main reasons I joined (in addition to the skeet, trap and sporting clays). I hope they reverse that policy once everyone learns to NOT fire at the first two rows of metal targets!

Additionally, my buddy, who's been going there for a few years now, mentioned Oaktree use to allow all pistol caliber RIFLES to be shot in the metal gallery....then it became only .22lr...and now this. Argh.

Was there Sunday shooting clays and everything was opened again.

Last edited by kdruff2; 06-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Fixed verbiage to alleviate confusion
Old 06-24-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Uh....gonna call BS on that. I don't know a single agency that has or uses tracers....there's no point.
Didn't I specifically say, Do not quote me?..

Trust me, I called BS as well when I got the word. I thought it was a regular joe that was responsible for the fire.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post

Additionally, my buddy, who's been going there for a few years now, mentioned Oaktree use to allow all pistol calibers to be shot in the metal gallery....then it became only .22lr...and now this. Argh.
Wait..what? You cannot shoot pistols at the steel gallery unless its a .22?
Old 06-24-2013, 9:20 PM

not to threadjack OP, but did you happen to see if they had any pistols in stock in the pro shop? last time i went there a few months back there wasn't anything on the shelves but dust.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Wait..what? You cannot shoot pistols at the steel gallery unless its a .22?
Yikes! Let me clarify: Oaktree once allowed folks to shoot pistol caliber RIFLES in the metal gallery section. Now, no rifles in any caliber.

Apologies for the confusion!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

Sucks to hear about the recent events. I was there about a week and a half ago and was pretty disappointed that they no longer allowed 22 rifles in the steel gallery. It was a lot of fun with my 10/22.

Speaking of pistol bays, where the heck is the pistol bay 1? Which they advertise on their site as a pistol/rifle range of up to 60 yards?

Every time I go I only see two paper bays and the steel gallery.
Old 06-25-2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon04GT View Post
Sucks to hear about the recent events. I was there about a week and a half ago and was pretty disappointed that they no longer allowed 22 rifles in the steel gallery. It was a lot of fun with my 10/22.

Speaking of pistol bays, where the heck is the pistol bay 1? Which they advertise on their site as a pistol/rifle range of up to 60 yards?

Every time I go I only see two paper bays and the steel gallery.
I think it's the very first pistol bay next to the shotgun range. Every time I visit Oaktree, it's either closed or reserved for a private group.
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 06-25-2013, 6:49 AM

They used to use bay 1 for rifles, except on Fridays when they would open the "police" rifle range. Since they put in the new and inferior rifle range all the damn way at the opposite end, bay 1 seems to be what they use for a private bay. I've been told that you can still use it, but they prefer to send people to the rifle range with rifles, or to bay 2 or 3 with pistols.
Old 06-25-2013, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGofWar View Post
not to threadjack OP, but did you happen to see if they had any pistols in stock in the pro shop? last time i went there a few months back there wasn't anything on the shelves but dust.
I just did a quick walkthru as I am on the prowl for a 686+. It's better than it has been recently but not as good as pre-December 2012. They are heavy in revolvers (not sure if they are new or on consignment though). Lots of Beretta M9's and a few 1911's. At least 2 dozen lowers although they were expensive. Addax Tactical were $319.00 if I remember correctly. Last year I bought 2 Noveske N4 gen 2 for $225.00 each.

Last edited by Aldemar; 06-25-2013 at 7:08 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 7:43 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post
Didn't I specifically say, Do not quote me?..

Trust me, I called BS as well when I got the word. I thought it was a regular joe that was responsible for the fire.

You thought it was BS yet you post it online, lending credibility to it? Having worked in LE for more than a decade and doing lots and lots of on-duty AR shooting & training, I have never seen a tracer round in use. LE agencies are well aware of fire hazards involved with the use of this stuff.

It seems far more likely that any tracer use and resulting fire that occurred was caused by some d-bag GI Joe wannabe and his secret stash of surplus tracer rounds.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Went back there last night. Pistol Bay 3 still is closed. There were a couple of small bulldozers in it. They said they were going lengthen it and do some other non-specific things.

Wife and I decided to burn up some ammo in the Arcade. Only 2-3 others on that side.

Old 06-28-2013, 5:43 PM

I was there last night as well and chatted with Brian about the fire. He said they don't know what caused it, but that it started just up the hill from the steel pistol bays. I think we can put the LE using tracer rumor to rest, unless anyone thinks they'd have a reason to suppress that info...

In any case, happily it was contained pretty quickly, especially since I live just the other side of the preserve and fires often roll right over the hills. Evacuating is no bueno.
Old 07-05-2013, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldemar View Post
I guess they had a small fire in pistol bay 3 yesterday. It was still closed and there was quite a wait. Today (Sunday morning) someone went down and was not breathing - fire department again. Hope that person recovers.
What happened to the person mentioned above?

I was there about 4 weeks ago when a non-shooter took some shrapnel to the forehead, but a nurse (who happened to be shooting a few bays down) said the guy was fine and they were taking him to the hospital just to be safe.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:29 PM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post
Yikes! Let me clarify: Oaktree once allowed folks to shoot pistol caliber RIFLES in the metal gallery section. Now, no rifles in any caliber.

Apologies for the confusion!
WOW no .22 long rifles at the pistol shooting gallery?

ya im not going there anymore.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaGuy View Post
What happened to the person mentioned above?

I was there about 4 weeks ago when a non-shooter took some shrapnel to the forehead, but a nurse (who happened to be shooting a few bays down) said the guy was fine and they were taking him to the hospital just to be safe.
I was told that he didn't make it. Heart attack apparently.