Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Angry Bad experience at SLOSA

Well I guess slosa changed their policy to discriminate against rifled shotgun slug shooters. I was not allowed to shoot my 870 their today. Whichever idiot was the RSO would not allow it even though he allowed muzzleloaders. I shoot the same (practically) sabot out of my ml as my shotgun! Thanks for forcing me to take a 600 mile trip this weekend to find a decent range!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Where you in the rifle or pistol area? Paper or steel targets? I don't know why they would care if you were shooting paper.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Rifle area paper targets. Some people are just ignorant I guess. Oh we'll looks like its a roadtrip up to chabot.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingwithguns View Post
Well I guess slosa changed their policy to discriminate against rifled shotgun slug shooters. I was not allowed to shoot my 870 their today. Whichever idiot was the RSO would not allow it even though he allowed muzzleloaders. I shoot the same (practically) sabot out of my ml as my shotgun! Thanks for forcing me to take a 600 mile trip this weekend to find a decent range!
Your "870" (rifled or not) has absolutely nothing to do with it. What exactly sort of "sabot" were you shooting?

If you were shooting at paper on the long gun side, how did your rifled barrel and ammo even happen to come up?

FWIW, there are plenty of "decent" ranges far closer than 600 miles to SLO/MB.

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Is the back stop dirt it should not matter then.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Your "870" (rifled or not) has absolutely nothing to do with it. What exactly sort of "sabot" were you shooting?

If you were shooting at paper on the long gun side, how did your rifled barrel and ammo even happen to come up?

FWIW, there are plenty of "decent" ranges far closer than 600 miles to SLO/MB.
You are correct, it has nothing to do with being an 870, it has everything to do with it being a shotgun shooting slugs. I guess people have a bad rep of destroying target stands with them with smoothbores and beads so I think that is where the hate comes from.

I shoot a federal load with a 300 grain sabot. It is very similar to my muzzeloader's barnes TEZ 290 grain sabot.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ll.aspx?id=995

The subject of what I was shooting came up because they asked me what I was shooting when I went to sign in. I brought up the ammo to point out to them that my ML and shotgun sabots are practically the same. Somehow the muzzleloader is good to go, but not the slug. Makes no sense to me. The best argument they had was "thats the way we have always done it mumble fumble harumph harumph."

My trip to chabot today was 600 miles round trip from santa barbara. And no, Winchester canyon gun club does not allow shotgun slug either. It must be a socal thing, both chabot and livermore were a bit puzzled "of course we allow shotgun slug" they said. Funny how I have to drive over to the liberal east bay regional park district to be able to shoot my slug gun

If you know of ranges that ALLOW SHOTGUN SLUG (50, 100), inline muzzleloader (50, 100) and rifle paper from (100, 200, 300 yards) on their rifle range closer to sb than LA or chabot please let me know, I am all ears. If they don't allow shotgun slug I don't care and I won't give my business to such places. I regularly hunt FHL so I like to have the option of hunting slug or ML only areas. LPNF does not count they usually close the forest around here to shooting during the summer months.

And for the record I shot better groups with my slug and ML than the wannabe mall ninja with a doped out AR next to me.

Last edited by hikingwithguns; 06-23-2013 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Moar QQ
Old 06-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

600 miles to a range that'crazy some times I don't want to drive 5 minutes down a dusty dirt road to my private range to shoot.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
600 miles to a range that'crazy some times I don't want to drive 5 minutes down a dusty dirt road to my private range to shoot.
Yeah I agree. I would have looked into some of the LA ones but I was already in slo, so chabot seemed the better option.
Old 06-23-2013, 4:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
Is the back stop dirt it should not matter then.
Yes it is.

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 06-23-2013, 4:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are correct, it has nothing to do with being an 870, it has everything to do with it being a shotgun shooting slugs. I guess people have a bad rep of destroying target stands with them with smoothbores and beads so I think that is where the hate comes from.

I shoot a federal load with a 300 grain sabot. It is very similar to my muzzeloader's barnes TEZ 290 grain sabot.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ll.aspx?id=995
There's no "hate" of shotguns shooting slugs at SLOSA. Something ain't right - we're not getting the whole story. I'm surprised the RSO was even aware you were shooting a shotgun, much less cared. There's certainly no rule that prohibits them at SLOSA

Quote:
The subject of what I was shooting came up because they asked me what I was shooting when I went to sign in. I brought up the ammo to point out to them that my ML and shotgun sabots are practically the same. Somehow the muzzleloader is good to go, but not the slug. Makes no sense to me. The best argument they had was "thats the way we have always done it mumble fumble harumph harumph."
That's not the way the do it at SLOSA. Again, why even talk about what sort of ammo you're shooting at that moment? The only thing they (rightly) get hot about are morons shooting rifles and magnum pistols at steel on the left side.

Quote:
My trip to chabot today was 600 miles round trip from santa barbara. And no, Winchester canyon gun club does not allow shotgun slug either. It must be a socal thing, both chabot and livermore were a bit puzzled "of course we allow shotgun slug" they said. Funny how I have to drive over to the liberal east bay regional park district to be able to shoot my slug gun
It's not a SLOSA thing either. Did you try Angeles in Slymar? That's closer to you than SLOSA.

Quote:
If you know of ranges that ALLOW SHOTGUN SLUG (50, 100), inline muzzleloader (50, 100) and rifle paper from (100, 200, 300 yards) on their rifle range closer to sb than LA or chabot please let me know, I am all ears. If they don't allow shotgun slug I don't care and I won't give my business to such places. I regularly hunt FHL so I like to have the option of hunting slug or ML only areas. LPNF does not count they usually close the forest around here to shooting during the summer months.

And for the record I shot better groups with my slug and ML than the wannabe mall ninja with a doped out AR next to me.
I have to call BS. Drive 600 miles to shoot slugs? How about you buy some targets and go to the Glass Factory?

Old 06-23-2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
There's no "hate" of shotguns shooting slugs at SLOSA. Something ain't right - we're not getting the whole story. I'm surprised the RSO was even aware you were shooting a shotgun, much less cared. There's certainly no rule that prohibits them at SLOSA

That's not the way the do it at SLOSA. Again, why even talk about what sort of ammo you're shooting at that moment? The only thing they (rightly) get hot about are morons shooting rifles and magnum pistols at steel on the left side.

It's not a SLOSA thing either. Did you try Angeles in Slymar? That's closer to you than SLOSA.

I have to call BS. Drive 600 miles to shoot slugs? How about you buy some targets and go to the Glass Factory?
1. Your getting the whole story. The guy at the sign in asked me what I was shooting, I said ML and shotgun slug and he said no shotgun slug.

2. I talked about the sort of ammo I was shooting because he said no slug guns, so I said I shoot practically the same sabot as my ML. Not sure what you are not understanding. I brought up ammo as a defense of the slug gun as I had just driven an hour and a half to get to the range and the RSO's rule made no sense to me. I guess next time I won't even argue my case, is that what you are saying I should do?

3. Yes it is closer to SB. I was already in SLO though so chabot seemed the better option/same travel range and I had been there before so thats what I picked. I will def be trying angeles in the future though.

4. Closed for fire restrictions. Scroll to the last post.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=727117

Last edited by hikingwithguns; 06-23-2013 at 7:47 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM

IVE allows slugs, I think.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Just an observation, but technically couldn't a rifled barreled shotgun shooting
a sabot be considered a "Rifle"?
Next time someone asks, tell 'em Rifle.
Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.
Apocalypse Now!
Quote:
"The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."
Sir Robert Peel
Old 06-23-2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply115 View Post
IVE allows slugs, I think.
Thanks, I will check them out.
Old 06-23-2013, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I asked today. No such rule exists at SLOSA.

Old 06-30-2013, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have also been told no slugs at SLOSA about 6 months ago. RSO told me people hit the wood target frames and destroy them. If no such rule exists they might want to start educating their staff on this. Seems to have happened to more than the OP.
Old 06-30-2013, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had slosa tell me no slugs through my 870 before.

I thought it was odd at the time but had other stuff to shoot
Old 07-01-2013, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

There is creative RSOing at times at SLOSA. I remember once where an older gentleman threw some clay pigeons onto the 100 yard berm on the right side of SLOSA's public range.

The RSO went nuts "we don't allow trash on this range!!", yet there is absolutely no rule against shooting biodegradable clays as the gentleman planned to do.

Banning the slugs is hogwash.

Old 07-07-2013, 7:05 PM

You know what's even weirder?
San Leandro ONLY allows slugs, and nothing else.
While LEO shoots anything they want there. That logic is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaw View Post
I'm Greek and I don't even understand it fully..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia
The AK, Millions of wannabe warlords cannot be wrong!