Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
What a crock.. You spend hundreds of $$ on a hunting gun and can only load 3-5? No wonder fish and game hates the Siaga mag fed.
it isn't 3 to 5 - it is literally 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Anymore and you are breaking the law.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-22-2013, 8:20 PM

Take the damn dowel out and your fine for the range or whatever. Just don't loose it like I did! I have to make one so I can take mine out here soon.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up one of their free paint dipsticks. You can probably easily modify one to be a mag block.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-23-2013, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Why do they even have this law? It's not like I can't load any more shells anyway.

I'm just not sure I follow the logic here.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Look, if you want some HD-Mall Ninja blaster, take the damn plug out and have at it. That configuration is worthless for hunting anyway. Hunting is not about blasting a lot of rounds. Its about using as few as possible.

When shotgunners want a lot of trigger time, we play clay games - trap, skeet or sporting clays. BTW, whoever posted they load 4+1 at each trap station - at any club or range I have ever shot at, that would get you a stern warning the 1st time and thrown off the range if you did it again. Safety is paramount and you are not permitted to load you weapon until its your turn to shoot.

If you want to hunt birds or game in the US, 3 rounds including the one in the chamber is the law. It always has been (and wardens know all about the 4th "ghost" round in the older Benellis). Anyone who argues that 3 rounds is insufficient either has very little if any hunting experience or they are not very good at it. The 3rd shot is usually a hail mary anyway. For waterfowl, you can only have 25 shells in your boat/blind/person, anyway. When that's gone, you go back to your truck and get 25 more - usually that's a long walk. Most guys can get a limit with fewer than 25 rounds. The reason they instituted the 25 round rule is because guys would go out and skybust all day, crippling birds and ruining the hunting for everyone around them.

Too many rounds in the gun or on your person (waterfowl hunting) are probably the most common tickets written. I think anyone who has hunted a refuge or a dove opener has seen guys get nailed for that.

If you want high volume, no limit shooting, book a dove hunt in Argentina.

Last edited by ScottB; 06-23-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 AM

The 2+1 rule for hunting shotguns should be well-known. I'm a city boy and even I know it.

That said, I've two 1980 Wingmasters; one came w/ a 28" cylinder choke vent rib and no mag plug. The other was found w/ a 26" skeet choke vent rib and a mag plug.

The first 870 now wears a 18.5" barrel and is one of my HD guns. The second I keep as found and I'm using it to learn to shoot skeet.

:-)
"I know how painful it was when I taught in the Army, going from my awesome trigger on Sunday back to a crunchy bag of turds Monday morning. Ultimately the purchase of a good trigger will save you money on ammo, frustration, and generally make your life easier." - Clay Martin
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Why do they even have this law? It's not like I can't load any more shells anyway.

Have to agree there. I get range safety, but hunting in the wild makes no sense. If you get eight clean shots, take them.

Someone just got pissed you can deliver more, faster. It's my dinner table/freezer that controls how many shots.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

If it takes you "eight clean shots" to bring down a (fill in the blank) you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Have to agree there. I get range safety, but hunting in the wild makes no sense. If you get eight clean shots, take them.
Quote:
If it takes you "eight clean shots" to bring down a (fill in the blank) you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

"I know how painful it was when I taught in the Army, going from my awesome trigger on Sunday back to a crunchy bag of turds Monday morning. Ultimately the purchase of a good trigger will save you money on ammo, frustration, and generally make your life easier." - Clay Martin
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Someone just got pissed you can deliver more, faster. It's my dinner table/freezer that controls how many shots.
Classic example of someone who does not "get" hunting or even plain common courtesy.

You've never been hunting have you? I mean real, big boy hunting, not picking off sparrows in the backyard.
Old 06-23-2013, 8:38 PM

From my understanding, it stems from the Migratory Bird Act of 1918; the round limit was a conservation measure. The limit is mentioned in hunter safety class and the DFG (DFW) regs:

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/cu...dregs.aspx#311
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/cu...rfowlregs.aspx
Old 06-23-2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post

Quote:

The law dates back to late 1920's or early 1930's.
It is a federal law was passed to combat market hunting for waterfowl.
Most states (but not all) also adapted that law for all bird hunting.
The market hunters were using the latest technology in shotguns, the Browning A-5 and Remington model 11's with mag extensions.
I noticed both of you are from so cal, so I bet nether of you have never seen a grind of thousands of geese coming into a field like we have up here.
If you had ever put a successful sneak on a pond or field full of ducks or geese you would realize how many you could kill with 8 or 10 shots out of a semi-auto.

For example this happened this season with only 3 shells per gun. http://www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/huntin...p?Hunting=6785

Market hunting is also the reason you can't use any thing larger than 10 gauge.
For more info look up punt gun.

Last edited by Huntsprig; 06-23-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I've had a warden check my shotgun in the field once while dove hunting.

Couldn't blame him, since I was using my Benelli M1 Super 90 with 18 inch barrel and super extended magazine.
He just inserted 2 shells, and tried a third- to verify it was legal.

When it's really hot weather, I prefer the lightweight auto instead of my Browning Citori Trap O/U.

Last dove opener I got two doubles with the O/U, that day I wish I could have tried for a triple with an auto.

Last edited by JohnCCW; 06-23-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 6:49 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
fun fact: that limited 2 shell capacity is full capacity for a UK legal Mossberg 500 and our standard 18 inch barrel is considered a SBS in the UK.
Fun fact: a standard 14" shotgun in Canada is considered an SBS in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
In before someone blames President Obama.

Last edited by Mitch; 06-24-2013 at 6:58 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Last few times I got checked by Mr. Green Jeans he asked me for my gun, emptied it, loaded two in the mag and tried to put the third one in. Upon failure he examined the shells for lead handed me an empty shotgun and three rounds and told me where he last saw birds working.

My 870 Express security gun from Big 5 did not come with a plug. My fiance's duck gun came with a plug which I had to install.