Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 AM

I can be a harsh critic when it comes to documentaries but this film hit the target. The socio-pollitical position, the pace, lines and filmography were simply excellent. It exceeded my expectations. Sadly, it won't appeal to most of brain-dead America. But it's an inspiration to the rest of us. Pay it forward.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Loved the film, the historical context was illuminating. Several people in the audience even gasped in surprise and seeming amazement to the Katrina footage. You all know the scene I'm talking about. Overall I think the film was well put together and including 2A issues of people of all backgrounds was a great idea. I think if people know open minded fence sitters this movie could help them understand pro 2A views.

Btw, loved Ice-T and his credit closing comment!
Old 06-21-2013, 5:38 AM

Thumbs up Liked It! -- A Lot!

So I must have missed the closing credit comment by Mr. Ice-T.

Might have to go watch it again.

Any of you who have gone shooting with me, knows that I am a bit of a .308 snob. In fact I don't own any rifles that shoot .223. As we are walking out of the theater my wife (who is not a gun nut, but does qualify with her .38 at least once per year) turns to me and says, "I want an AR-15."

I explain to her that AR-15s are technically a controlled weapon in CA, but that I can get her an off-list gun with a bullet button and 10 round magazines. And she's got a birthday coming up!

See, taking your wife to the movies can have unintended benefits.

Great Movie!

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.
Old 06-21-2013, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Like Kaligaran, I've been a fan and kickstarter backer from the very start.
I just saw the San Jose release... and I thought that what was there was really well done. This was all a great history lesson, but then it ended. It ended rather abruptly... just when I was expecting to see a big chunk of "the current battle in California" that was just not there.
Sen. Yee was present for 1/10th of a second in a still photo only... when there was talk months ago about how this would show the big gun rights fight going on in California. That's pretty much it for anything CA recent.
To me, it felt like there was a LOT missing, a lot that was originally described to me that this documentary would feature. What was there was great, I'll be sending the DVD to friends... but this was not a snapshot of what has been unfolding rapidly in the last year or two.
A lot of the things from early early pre-trailers was absent. I guess the focus for the film shifted in the last 6 months or something. (i.e. the entire SB249/bullet button fiasco was completely absent)
This was me. I thought given the big donations from CAL GUN members and where and when it started it was going to focus on California for the most part.
It was good but I dunno about for the movies. I dont see Anti's going to see it at a movie setting. Im a gun guy so I pretty much knew all that was said. This needs to reach Anti's and I think Amazon/ netflix, TV is its best chance. Just IMO.

Free Food.
Free Housing.
Free Spending Money.
Free Healthcare.
Free Phone.
Free Weed.
All you have to do is vote for more free stuff.
Old 06-21-2013, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I realize there was a LOT of information to cover in such a short time frame, but I was a little surprised there was no mention of the silliness of the bullet button, the "safe handgun" roster, seven round limit in NY, etc. I think this film started as a California film, then at some point along the line they decided to encompass the whole country, changing the graphic on the movie poster, even.

One thing I did greatly appreciate, and I know my liberal friend that I brought with me appreciated as well, is that the film did not rip on the current administration the whole time. He was really expecting to be an anti-Obama movie, but was pleasantly surprised by how much history was covered.

Two of my friends proclaimed that they were going to buy AR-15's after seeing the film.

Overall, WAY TO GO Assaulted Team! I'm happy to say that I contributed to this fine documentary.
Old 06-21-2013, 8:05 AM
Übermensch
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The movie did a pretty damn good job of trying to straddle the line that divides California from the rest of the country, as well as the choir, from everyone else. There is room for improvement and for further in-depth analysis of issues, but I think they did a very good job of presenting the civil rights case. I feel that is the best avenue to take when addressing gun rights issues as a whole because it removes the gun owner stereotype from the equation, as mentioned early in the film.

This film will serve as a catalyst and a starting point for people who are on the fence, which I believe are the most important group to try and ally with. I personally have tons of friends and acquaintances who aren't exactly anti-gun, but they respond to terms like "reasonable regulations" and this film does a great job of unmasking how political language like that is used to mask the true meaning and impact of a lot of legislateion.

I hope it picks up more steam, I'd like to get more people in to the theater to watch it. I'll definitely get a few copies of the DVD when it comes out to keep on a constant lending circuit.

As in a ruin where violets grow
In moss covered fields
On cold marble stone
Love sometimes steals into a heart...
Old 06-21-2013, 8:10 AM
CGN Contributor

Was at the Tustin screening last night. My only beef is why the producers felt the need to attack the South in a racist way and perpetuate the lie of Southerners being racist? Um there were racist gun controls laws in the North as well?

It was a good flick. I think it would have been more effective by cutting about 20 minutes of it out.

Old 06-21-2013, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
Was at the Tustin screening last night. My only beef is why the producers felt the need to attack the South in a racist way and perpetuate the lie of Southerners being racist? Um there were racist gun controls laws in the North as well?

It was a good flick. I think it would have been more effective by cutting about 20 minutes of it out.
While talking about the black codes, the first picture the movie displayed was the black codes of Illinois. While not mentioning the racism of the North, the movie did not completely overlook it. Of course, it did explain how the North segregated their black soldiers and, after the war, those segregated soldiers were allowed to take their issued firearms home, it did not mention the fact that there were 10,000 black Confederate soldiers who fought in the same ranks as their white brothers in arms. But, the movie wasn't focused on racism during the War of Northern Aggression. There just wasn't enough time to go off on all the tangents they could have yet, while you point out a few of these tangents, you also think it should have been shorter??? I thought the movie was captivating and was surprised that it was over so soon.

For those who thought it was going to be a CA 2A film, I'm with you but, at the same time, I'm glad it wasn't. This way the citizenry of the entire country can view it and not dismiss the underlying premises as a Crazy Ca only thing.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 06-21-2013, 8:36 AM
Banned

Rancho was almost full capacity. Just a few empty seats. Small theater Though. Holds maybe 85?
Old 06-21-2013, 8:38 AM

This movie exceeded my expectations. The historical context was on point and the filmography was amazing!
Old 06-21-2013, 8:57 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Awesome turnout in Tustin, theater was nearly full. I thought the movie was VERY well done, and I like that it will appeal to a national audience. Even though I hate Michael Moore, I still watch his movies so that I can understand the other side’s viewpoint, and then poke holes in it (after all, how can you criticize it without seeing it?). I just hope the anti-crowd actually sees this before attempting any attacks. It was a very good balance/response to Bowling for Columbine. We deserve to be heard, too.

By the way, great editing on the Brady campaign chair’s comments. The careful placement put his views in the proper ridiculous context. And although I was aware of the race/class discriminatory origin of gun control laws, this film portrayed it in a way that really got the message across. The more things change (i.e. silly arguments that the 2nd Amendment is "obsolete" with modern times/technology), the more they stay exactly the same (current laws still seek to restrict the 2nd Amendment to rich white folks).

One criticism, although I personally loved Ice-T’s comment at the end of the credits, I’m afraid it may serve undermine the objectivity of the film. Not that this isn’t a propaganda piece, but like Michael Moore does with his propaganda, “Assaulted” managed to maintain a good “documentary” feel throughout, until the verrrrry end.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.

Last edited by BumBum; 06-21-2013 at 8:59 AM..
Old 06-21-2013, 9:02 AM

I don't know how much experience the producers of this film have, but from a kickstarter project, they did exceptionally well. I would just like to have seen another segment added showing explicitly all the ridiculous legislation we've got to deal with in California. Someone who isn't in the know might say, "Gee, you only had to deal with the NFA and GCA, what are you complaining about?"
Old 06-21-2013, 9:08 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
While talking about the black codes, the first picture the movie displayed was the black codes of Illinois. While not mentioning the racism of the North, the movie did not completely overlook it. Of course, it did explain how the North segregated their black soldiers and, after the war, those segregated soldiers were allowed to take their issued firearms home, it did not mention the fact that there were 10,000 black Confederate soldiers who fought in the same ranks as their white brothers in arms. But, the movie wasn't focused on racism during the War of Northern Aggression. There just wasn't enough time to go off on all the tangents they could have yet, while you point out a few of these tangents, you also think it should have been shorter??? I thought the movie was captivating and was surprised that it was over so soon.
Just disappointed they chose that route with Southerners. Could have been more tasteful. Although we all know hoffmang is a huge Lincoln lover and heavily supports that tyrant!

I think for us 2A nuts the time was perfect and I could have watched more, but as an appeal to the masses and the message they need to cut it shorter.

Can someone post what Ice T said at the end or PM it to me? I left as it ended. Also why didn't they show Ice T busting some caps?

Old 06-21-2013, 9:09 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

If the California segments were actually filmed, I would hope the producers would include this as bonus material on any DVD release.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 06-21-2013, 9:09 AM

@postal- it was well over 100 at Rancho- 15 rows of 15 almost filled
Old 06-21-2013, 9:10 AM

when is the dvd coming out? we need to send copies to the polititicians
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerkp View Post
@postal- it was well over 100 at Rancho- 15 rows of 15 almost filled
Oh. I didnt actually count.... The room just seemed really small...

Of course Sean Casey should have the actual count checking everyone in.

Thanks for all your work Sean.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220RR View Post
when is the dvd coming out? we need to send copies to the polititicians
This. Can anyone buy a dvd, or is it only for those who pitched in for the film?
I couldn't make the show last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum
F--- you and F--- Gold Bond!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
Just disappointed they chose that route with Southerners. Could have been more tasteful. Although we all know hoffmang is a huge Lincoln lover and heavily supports that tyrant!

I think for us 2A nuts the time was perfect and I could have watched more, but as an appeal to the masses and the message they need to cut it shorter.

Can someone post what Ice T said at the end or PM it to me? I left as it ended. Also why didn't they show Ice T busting some caps?
Should we send Gene a copy of "Forced into Glory" to read?

Lets just say that Ice T's closing comment made the film go from PG to R.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have to disagree. It was a very good question, delivered the right way.

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Like Kaligaran, I've been a fan and kickstarter backer from the very start.
I just saw the San Jose release... and I thought that what was there was really well done. This was all a great history lesson, but then it ended. It ended rather abruptly... just when I was expecting to see a big chunk of "the current battle in California" that was just not there.
Sen. Yee was present for 1/10th of a second in a still photo only... when there was talk months ago about how this would show the big gun rights fight going on in California. That's pretty much it for anything CA recent.
To me, it felt like there was a LOT missing, a lot that was originally described to me that this documentary would feature. What was there was great, I'll be sending the DVD to friends... but this was not a snapshot of what has been unfolding rapidly in the last year or two.
A lot of the things from early early pre-trailers was absent. I guess the focus for the film shifted in the last 6 months or something. (i.e. the entire SB249/bullet button fiasco was completely absent)

I have to agree with you on this point about CA.
I felt the film has a hole somewhere where the CA was left out. I think that NY and CA should have been mentioned a bit more, especially CA because of all of the hollyweird actors here. How they all talk smack and then turn around and enjoy using guns themselves. They take stands against guns and then take parts in tv and movies where they use guns illegally too. Yeah okay, but then the politicians here are just as dumb and turn around and write laws just for the sake of shotgunning them to the walls. At the end, I heard the happy music starting, like, you just died and are on your way to heaven music and I was like, damn I think this is nearing the end of the movie. All in all, my attention was mostly captured by a documentary which speaks volumes because I HATE documentaries. Just not enough action and violence/ special effects in them...

I give the movie an 87 out of 100 or an 8.5 out of 10.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
I agree with Elwood, that was great
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rock View Post
This. Can anyone buy a dvd, or is it only for those who pitched in for the film?
I couldn't make the show last night.
The film is showing in selected AMC theaters all weekend. Go. Bring a friend. It's an important film.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

im in afghanistan so unfortunetly I cant go see it. Hopefully I can do so in few months since I see all this talk about it.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior40er View Post
im in afghanistan so unfortunetly I cant go see it. Hopefully I can do so in few months since I see all this talk about it.
If anyone from the crew is reading this Ill be happy to buy this guy a copy if I can get it.

Free Food.
Free Housing.
Free Spending Money.
Free Healthcare.
Free Phone.
Free Weed.
All you have to do is vote for more free stuff.
Old 06-21-2013, 1:52 PM
Stop Cilantro Herbicide
CGN Contributor

Sorry for quoting myself, but I had posted this in the San Jose thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carb1a4h View Post
Great documentary and great turnout. Wife and I were sitting in the waaaay back. Kind of a throw back for us since we don't go to movies often and it was like we were back in high school (yes we're high-school sweethearts).
I'm glad there wasn't 20 minutes of pre-roll trailer BS and got straight to the doc.

Although my wife supports me and my rights regarding 2A, she had bought into the leftist, anti propaganda out there and was surprised the Pro-2A community was more than just the face of LaPiere. After hearing the parts of the 911 phone call, and the points made regarding women and self defense, she has asked me to take her to Templar on Sunday to take her HSC test. She thanked me for taking her I'm glad I was able to open her eyes to views we all have been shouting.
Old 06-21-2013, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
I never said that it was bad or I didn't like or agree with it. But, it was the only place I remember hearing that kind of language during the movie.

Old 06-21-2013, 8:50 PM

The update from Kris just went out from Kickstarter.

Quote:
Finally, DVD and downloads will be ship/available in the fall. This delay is caused by the theatrical contract restriction of 90 days before the film can be released on DVD or VOD (video on demand).
Old 06-21-2013, 9:05 PM

Is no one else bothered by chengs background comments?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Great turnout in Sacramento, and an excellent film. The theater is just a couple of blocks from the state Capitol. Wonder how many senate and assembly lackies were there watching and then reporting back to their bosses this morning???
Old 06-22-2013, 6:58 AM

I hope they can bring the DVD out at a low price. I'll be handing them out like candy to people I know that have some pliable political views. Might be cool to use them like business cards. Can we getting some custom printed?
Old 06-22-2013, 7:17 AM

Is the movie ok to take our 10 year old son to? We are a law enforcement family but he is not necessarily exposed to graphic details of work. He sees PG-13 movies and sometimes plays games like Call of Duty. I was concerned if the realism would be scary for him.
Old 06-22-2013, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiechips View Post
Is the movie ok to take our 10 year old son to? We are a law enforcement family but he is not necessarily exposed to graphic details of work. He sees PG-13 movies and sometimes plays games like Call of Duty. I was concerned if the realism would be scary for him.
The movie is fine for a well grounded 10 year old or any child. Sheltering a 10 year old from this movie would be wrong. As far as I remember, the F word was only used once at the very end. Other than that, it is a very family friendly movie.

Old 06-22-2013, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerkp View Post
Is no one else bothered by chengs background comments?
People will hate me for saying this but I actually agree with cheng's comment. As much as I hate that 10 day jail time, I believe it is one of the restricting gun laws that actually keep the bad guys from getting a legal gun. I would much rather hear an illegal gun used to kill than a legal gun used to kill.

Quote:
Movie was rated PG-13 which means they have one use of the F-bomb or any strong language. And I thought that even though may have been unnecessary, it was a nice tension reliever for those who took the movie extremely serious.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 06-22-2013, 9:53 AM

Quote:
No. There are some graphic images of lynching.
Old 06-22-2013, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The only thing that is any different from a daily news show is the stills of people who were lynched and the rather sophomoric f-bomb during the ending credits, otherwise there is nothing that your son has not seen before. If he has questions after the movie it would be a great teaching moment. I hope that you take him with you and you all enjoy the film. if you are worried about the language leave as the credits start rolling. My guess is that he has heard that word many times already.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Took wifey to the 7:00 showing in Antioch last night. Including us, only 7 people in the theater! That was a little disheartening.

However, both of us loved the film. I lived in LA through the riots (I was in high school) and had no idea what the people living in Koreatown had to do for themselves. Very enlightening, inspiring, and frightening all at the same time. My wife was more angry than I was when we left. The main Katrina scene really sunk in for her.

I agree that it might not be suitable for younger viewers. Many images of lynches, the KKK, and other violence. Could be good for starting a conversation with your child, but just be ready for it.

Overall a great movie. I am glad their focus was not solely on CA. I think that if they had gotten into all the stuff with Sen Yee that it could be dismissed as just another "finger pointing" flick. I have no problem recommending this to any of my friends (regardless of their political views). Just hope more people see it, are educated, and that it begins to silence some of the lies that are being perpetuated.

THANKS ASSAULTED TEAM!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Question for the Assaulted Team...

There seemed to be almost no mention of the film leading up to its release in the usual conservative media. This is in particular contrast to Dinesh D'Souza's movie "2016" which garnered widespread recognition. Anyone know why?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Xenos- it really seemed to undermine the entire premise- "reasonable, expanded background checks" is a trojan horse just as much as any of the other "reasonable gun control laws". Who will determine what is reasonable? Whoever is in charge, that is who. It will include mental health, thus, Dr.'s and Politician's agendas can focus on whoever they want- 2a people could quickly become "paranoid, delusional (personal protection), etc." It is just as slippery as the examples cited in the movie itself- nfa tax, loaded open carry by reagan, etc.
Old 06-22-2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWest View Post
There seemed to be almost no mention of the film leading up to its release in the usual conservative media. This is in particular contrast to Dinesh D'Souza's movie "2016" which garnered widespread recognition. Anyone know why?
$2.5M marketing budget....