Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-19-2013, 7:34 AM

Default Official ASSAULTED Movie, AAR.."Reviews and Discussions"

Well, the day is almost here....We open Nation Wide tomorrow.

We are looking forward to everyone seeing and enjoying the movie.

Let's use this post as the official "Reviews and Discussion" Thread.

Thank you for your support, now go enjoy the movie.
Old 06-19-2013, 9:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just came back from the showing. I really liked it, especially the fact that, the film wasn't just spewing facts and propaganda, but educated why our Bill of Rights is so important. Focusing almost entirely on the 2nd Amendment, it shows facts from recent events in history, proving that everyone has the right to defend themselves. Especially when society falls apart, police can not and will not protect you.

Great job on this project! I wish you could buy up entire Superbowl commercial time and show the film during those breaks

Oh yeah, and Ice-T's line at the end, is one for the books!

Saved for 1st reply review

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz

Last edited by Elwood_Blues; 06-20-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just returned home from the San Jose TUGG event.

It was nice to see so many people turn out for the movie. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. It was also nice to see so many others also wearing their 'CREW' Kickstarter shirt.
So onto my review. Bear with me as I've never reviewed a movie before.

The movie is about 1 hour and 20 minutes. So it covers a lot of information in a rather short amount of time.

There was a very good history lesson on the roots of gun control in racism as well as an overview on what spawned the gun control legislation in 1934 and 1968. It also gave in-depth details on both Heller and McDonald.

The interviews were well crafted and to the point. It was very clear and easy to follow.

Before I get into the criticisms, I want to point out that I am a fan. I was a Kickstarter backer and proud to have supported this film. I will be doing everything in my power to see to it that as many of my non-gunnie friends see it as possible.

While the movie did explain that ARs are NOT machine guns and that the 223/556 round is not as powerful as a traditional 'hunting' round, there are plenty of myths that I think the movie had a unique opportunity to dispel which I was disappointed not to see.
Such as the fact that gun violence and violent crime in general has been declining the last few years. There was also no mention that I recall of the 1994 AWB and the results of it during its run. There was a brief mention that rifles make up a small portion of gun violence and crime and especially the so called 'AW's but it was not elaborated on in much detail.

There was no explanation of the current laws on the books both at a federal and state level and how they have impacted (or failed to impact) crime in those states. Since we live in CA and knowing what we know about the laws and hoops here, I think that's very relevant to the discussion.

Considering that the ideal viewers of this documentary are 'on the fence' citizens, I would have preferred to see more statistics and really drive home the point that the anti-gunners big push is for rifles and AWs and go from there.

Oh and last note, Ice-T did a great job with the script. The 'off script' comment by him at the end of the credits drew a lot of laughs from the people left in the theater.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 06-20-2013 at 9:21 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Official ASSAULTED Movie, AAR.."Reviews and Discussions"

Sweet, in for third! And IBFP!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Screw you guys, I'm live tweeting it!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokoloso View Post
Screw you guys, I'm live tweeting it!
Hey bro, we're gonna be at the same show.. I better not see your phone's light on in the theater... haha
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Is there a central listing of the showing places and times?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I already saw it! I think it was great. Gene Hoffman had a lot of great lines that really hit home. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can quote them. Or maybe I will pay a little better attention tomorrow. It was hard to take it all in at once.

Of course Darin Prince is the best looking guy in the whole movie, only to be topped by the best looking girls in the movie, his daughter and wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Is there a central listing of the showing places and times?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=774118

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 06-19-2013, 2:02 PM
┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

When is the blu-ray/dvd release?
Old 06-19-2013, 4:40 PM

LA Times Review...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2714817.story

LA Weekly Review...

http://www.laweekly.com/movies/assau...-fire-2091470/
Old 06-19-2013, 6:40 PM

If there's anyone that lives in the Coachella Valley, there's a Tugg listing for Rancho Mirage: http://www.tugg.com/events/4619

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993
Old 06-19-2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURVIVOR619 View Post
Hey bro, we're gonna be at the same show.. I better not see your phone's light on in the theater... haha
I have my tricks! Haha
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow! So stoked for this!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

So guys, I will be working until 8 or 9, are you planning anything afterwards?

VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4463589767_99f967084c_o.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 1:57 PM

No local showings here, but the reviews from the LA Times & LA Weekly look very optimistic. Sounds like Kris & Co. did a great job being reasonable, and not coming across as extremely lopsided like Michael Moore's POS "documentaries".
Unless you are from the Brady Bunch.
Old 06-20-2013, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I already saw it! I think it was great. Gene Hoffman had a lot of great lines that really hit home. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can quote them. Or maybe I will pay a little better attention tomorrow. It was hard to take it all in at once.

Of course Darin Prince is the best looking guy in the whole movie, only to be topped by the best looking girls in the movie, his daughter and wife.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=774118
I am bringing a camcorder to release it to the usenet tonight when I get back, want me to make you a dvd?

Don't worry though, I will have it on a tripod with a dolby shotgun mic so it will be level with good sound and no movements...

If anyone else wants a copy I will be the guy with the purple lakers jacket and REALLY baggy yellow pants... $10 each and I can make them in my minivan...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitare

Last edited by stilly; 06-20-2013 at 3:02 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 5:42 PM

Awesome Job. It was kind of sad to see only 12 people in the theater here in Phoenix. That was the 5pm showing so I bet the 7pm will have a bigger pull.

Great job of hitting the big points and mixing a lot of different angles. It kept me enthralled throughout and I had heard and read most of the information before.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:36 PM
First Rule of Gunfighting
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhands32 View Post
Awesome Job. It was kind of sad to see only 12 people in the theater here in Phoenix. That was the 5pm showing so I bet the 7pm will have a bigger pull.

Great job of hitting the big points and mixing a lot of different angles. It kept me enthralled throughout and I had heard and read most of the information before.
Free State, what can you do. Awesome turnout here in Sacramento. I thought the movie was great, but I am not the one that needed to see it. I want the 40% or so (my guess) who do not have a strong opinion to have a look. I can't believe how well the movie was shot and edited with the budget they were working with. All of the "experts" were intelligent and articulate. The personal stories were powerful.

Great job.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Just got from seeing the Bakersfield showing and needless to say the movie was great!

I'm glad that the film stayed out of the right vs. left agenda and kept things to the point. It really hit home the right and the need to keep and bear arms and that right shall not be infringed upon.

Wes of 10% did a good job introducing the film as well as the calguns organizations that are out there to promote, educate, and defend the 2ndA.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:42 PM

The movie was bad*****. You guys/gals did a great job and the effort that you put in the movie showed. Thanks for putting some like this together for us to watch. I really liked Ice-T's remark during the credits. It was very informative and straight to the point.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just got back from the 7:30 screening in San Jose. Don Kilmer, Bill Weise and MANY of our gun show customers were there. It's always a complete pleasure to say hi to Bill. The documentary, or better yet, the educational presentation was very well organized, presented, and loaded with historical and present day FACTS!!

I didn't catch the gentleman's name but we were one ticket short and this very generous stranger with an extra ticket handed it to me and walked away before I could offer to pay for it. Whoever you were, I thank you!!

Thordo
Old 06-20-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob86 View Post
I really liked Ice-T's remark during the credits.
Ha, that was awesome. Seemed to have caught everyone off guard.

Overall, very well done Assaulted Team.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:04 PM

Great, great, great film. Helps shed light on the most necessary reason.

2 thoughts of disagreement though. I thought it painted the black panthers as if they didnt use the firearms to commit crimes and voter intimidation...could easily be an antis arguement
Second, absolutely could not believe chengs background check comments. I understand those involved in the process felt the need to include that but it certainly undermines the whole premise of the movie.
Feedback rant over, loved apart from that.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Even though our schedule was reallllly tight, we made it just in time and didn't miss a word. Great job presenting the facts and history of gun control. My only real criticism would be that some early parts of the film almost seemed to highlight incidents of gun violence to a point where I could see the possibility of an "on the fencer" having negative thoughts implanted in their head from an early point in the movie.

I think my favorite part was the examples of law makers that don't even understand what they are trying to ban or how things work.

I too would like a DVD/Bluray

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood

Last edited by Meety Peety; 06-20-2013 at 9:38 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 9:17 PM
Banned

Well done!!!!

Just wish the guy that showed full auto M16 vs AR 15 wasnt so confusing rattling off numbers that wouldnt make any sense at all to non gun people... "this is a 223 or 556, this is a 30.06 this is a 22 cal, this is a 30 cal...." Of course us gun people know what he's talking about... but to a non gun person, this is Greek....

Love the AR shown with the "modern musket" engraving on the inside of the dustcover, and the young girl shooting an AR. Would've been a great place to smack down crazy uncle joe with his "get a shot gun, they're easier to shoot than an 'assault rifle'".
Old 06-20-2013, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Outstanding! I thoroughly enjoyed the show and everyone I brought with me, including one anti friend enjoyed it as well.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:24 PM

What were ice t's comments at the end? I had a couple of drinks before the showing and raced to the restroom when it ended.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp View Post
What were ice t's comments at the end? I had a couple of drinks before the showing and raced to the restroom when it ended.
Something like, "it's the law but it's subject to reasonable restrictions? What the **** does that even mean?"
Old 06-20-2013, 9:33 PM

Job well done! Tustin was pretty packed.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:49 PM

just got back from the Rancho Cucamonga showing. My wife and i enjoyed the movie very much! It was very informative for both of us, me being a newer gun owner and my wife not knowing anything, came away with a lot!

I would definitely love to purchase this movie as soon as it is available just so i could take it in again and again..

Great job!
Old 06-20-2013, 9:51 PM

I was at the AMC in orange at 7, it was good except for the crying baby behind me. There weren't that many people though, maybe like 15-25. I'd like to know what the attendance was like at other showings.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

Like Kaligaran, I've been a fan and kickstarter backer from the very start.
I just saw the San Jose release... and I thought that what was there was really well done. This was all a great history lesson, but then it ended. It ended rather abruptly... just when I was expecting to see a big chunk of "the current battle in California" that was just not there.
Sen. Yee was present for 1/10th of a second in a still photo only... when there was talk months ago about how this would show the big gun rights fight going on in California. That's pretty much it for anything CA recent.
To me, it felt like there was a LOT missing, a lot that was originally described to me that this documentary would feature. What was there was great, I'll be sending the DVD to friends... but this was not a snapshot of what has been unfolding rapidly in the last year or two.
A lot of the things from early early pre-trailers was absent. I guess the focus for the film shifted in the last 6 months or something. (i.e. the entire SB249/bullet button fiasco was completely absent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Took the lady to the AMC Orange at the Block myself. She hears me talk a lot about this stuff on a regular basis, so she felt kind of unsatisfied with the talking points as she has heard most of it.

We both agreed however that I don't think the movie is going to change anyone's mind about the subject. It would be nice to get this out there to those who do not have a view one way or another on the subject, and I think Netflix and Amazon would be a great way to do that. However, it is highly unlikely that anyone seeing this film was of their own doing without someone on the pro gun side taking them to see it. I myself invited over 20 people that I know (Who I would put in the undecided category) and offered to pay their ticket price, but everyone was too busy with other things.

As others also mentioned on this thread, it did not talk at all about the failure of the 94' ban, but I also think too much pro side arguments would turn the target audience off. (And by target audience I mean those who are undecided). People like Ted N. are awesome, but I don't think it helps winning people over.

/end2cents.

The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value. -R.A. Heinlein
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt520 View Post
Job well done! Tustin was pretty packed.
It was, I showed up just as it started and a quick scan showed me I had to sit in one of the first 3 rows. Great turn out for an excellent documentary. Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-ray so I can highjack people that come to my house for a visit!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

When do donors get their "free downloads" and DVDs?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

SD turnout was awesome. About 100 people (guesstimate).

Great job everyone. My fiance who has always liked guns but never been too big into them now wants her own gun lol.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

My three non-gun owner friends enjoyed the movie in sactown tonight. Theybwere into it the whole time. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM

My party thought it was very good although one friend felt it was a little choppy, needed some polishing
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh and BTW, I think gun sales will spike over the weekend a bit

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

I really liked the film, and my girlfriend, although not a big shooter enjoyed it very much too. There will always be criticisms. However, the subtitle of the film was not 2A rights under attack, it was "Civil rights under attack".

IMO It did a really good job explaining that 2A gives us the means to protect our other rights. My one critique is that when they explained that 2A, 4A and 5A were violated in Katrina, they should have taken a few moments to talk about 4A and 5A as most people do not even know what those amendments were. This is the PERFECT example to show the importance of the bill of rights. If 2A did not exist, who is going to stop the "law" from taking over your house? maybe they could have thrown something in about 3A too.

As someone who is on calguns often I already knew most of what was presented, including the battle of Athens but it was still very enjoyable to watch it on the big screen with Ice Tea narrating the whole thing.

I learned some new things too. I understand that current laws, and ESPECIALLY the proposed laws in California will attack the civil rights of the poor or less wealthy, but I suppose I did not realize how much racism was a factor in our existing laws.

Thanks for putting this together.

If you have not seen it yet, stay for the credits.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 06-21-2013 at 12:02 AM..