Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-15-2013, 4:25 PM

Default Assaulted Movie - Reviews (LA Industry Premiere)

A conversation on Guns in America - "Assaulted" by Rob Morse

The movie “Assaulted- Civil Rights Under Fire” is not the last word about guns in America, but it is an excellent place to start the conversation. The conversation they chose is about rules and rulers. The right of self-defense exists to protect us from our government as well as against criminals. “Assaulted” shows us where the government violates civil rights to suit those in power. The film showed a dozen embarrassing examples, spanning the whole of American history.

The government wrote discriminatory gun laws after the Civil War so freed blacks could not defend themselves. It is one thing to know this as a historical fact. It is another to see pictures of a city street filled with men dressed in white sheets and black men hanging from trees as ordinary citizens look on. I wish that sort of bigotry were unthinkable now.

More recently, the behavior of the government during Hurricane Katrina broke the social contract between the government and the people. Politicians seemed ineffective during the emergency. The politicians ordered law enforcement officers to disarm honest citizens who needed firearms for their own protection from looters. The politicians protected their image in the news media and sacrificed public safety.

There are dozens of examples in between, and they’re not easy to watch. “Assaulted” is not politically partisan. Neither political party can rest comfortably on its record. The producers deliberately avoided the polarized claims of battling statistics over crime rates. They showed incontrovertible examples where the government denied the inalienable rights of citizens.

Yes, it happened in America. It happened in my lifetime. It could happen again when the government serves itself and ignores the rights of the minority. You could argue that it happens now in Chicago and Detroit.

The way to avoid repeating the past is to learn from it. “Assaulted” includes short pointed examples of politicians and infotainment-journalists demanding that citizen be disarmed. According to these self serving celebrities, only government is trustworthy. Yikes. Some of us learn from history and some of us refuse to learn.

Go see the movie. You can find out where it is showing by going here and clicking on the Theaters link (http://www.deadpatriotfilms.com). Bring your friends and plan on talking after you’ve seen the movie. Start the conversation.

Disclaimer- I tossed about 200 dollars into the Assaulted KickStarter project.. and drank with two of the producers. I also got to meet interesting people at the screening party.
Old 06-19-2013, 5:36 PM

More reviews LA Times and LA Weekly:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2714817.story

http://www.laweekly.com/movies/assau...-fire-2091470/
Old 06-19-2013, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Really great post. I'm interested in the film now.
Old 06-19-2013, 6:03 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
Did those two reviewers watch the same movie?

LATimes:
Quote:
The almost-complete absence of dissenting voices will likely limit its audience...
LAWeekly:
Quote:
..well-researched attempt to give both sides of the argument respect...
Guess I'll just need to watch it and make up my own mind. Which is exactly what I plan on doing tomorrow!

See you there!
Old 06-19-2013, 7:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Did those two reviewers watch the same movie?

LATimes:
LAWeekly:

Guess I'll just need to watch it and make up my own mind. Which is exactly what I plan on doing tomorrow!

See you there!
Its a pretty fair analysis depending on the views of the critic. Limited would be a heavy dose of a true anti from the Brady bunch. (see the movie to find out)

It does favor the right to keep and bear but since the right has been established where else could the movie go? You'll see. Kris did a really good job on this.
Old 06-19-2013, 9:01 PM

I find it interesting that anyone who makes a living utilizing the First Amendment would have a difficult time giving each affirmed right within the Bill of Rights equal weight... but some do.

The documentary is clearly pro civil rights - not only the 2A - and I didn't find a political bent at all. In fact, as stated, the film shows culpability on both sides of the political spectrum regarding infringing on the rights of the citizen.

This is the USA. We don't elect kings, we rebel against them!

Last edited by mt4design; 06-20-2013 at 5:15 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can't wait to see the film.

To those of us who funded this, I say thank all of you.

For those who didn't step up, I say, go see the film, see what a few of us did and then imagine what we could do if everyone just did something and be the person that does something.

I am going on a limb and I am going to say this will be a great film and I am glad I threw some skin into the game.

Those two newspaper reviews IMHO were pretty good consider which Newspaper they were.

Now if Kris's film does 1/10 as well as "Fatboy's" propaganda garbage, then we have a classic.

Nicki