Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Default Do not patron Gander Mountain with your business.

I cannot explain in words my frustration with Gander Mountain right now. After ordering a rifle from them which was in stock, and paying in full, they sold the rifle that I was told by their rep was on hold for me until the paperwork could finish, and was told it would take several weeks to restock. Below is a copy of the complaint I posted to their customer service form.

I am writing this to express my great disappointment with your company. Last week, I had ordered a Ruger 10/22 takedown which was shown to be in stock and was told it was by your customer rep for delivery to an FFL here in California. I paid for the order and was told specifically that a rifle would be held until you could actually ship the weapon to my FFL. When calling today to check on the status of my order, your customer service rep told me the rifle was now on backorder, apparently sold to another customer, and would take several weeks to get back in stock and ship to my local FFL. My order # was (XXXXXXXX). I immediately canceld my order and requested a refund. This was unacceptable. I will not be doing business with your company again and will be referring my issue to other firearm owners on the forums that I frequent.
The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value. -R.A. Heinlein
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Free Mustache Rides
CGN Contributor

God forbid someone makes a mistake. Sh*t happens and gander mtn is a great place. I understand being mad but no need to stop doing business with them. Have you ever made a mistake? ??
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Really? I pay in full for a serialized product and they sell it to another customer? I would understand a mistake if it was an off the shelf item. But for something that has a significant amount of paperwork and being told TWICE by two different sales reps that the rifle was on hold, is more than a mistake for a company that sells firearms.
The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value. -R.A. Heinlein
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Yeah that would get me angry real quick... You did good OP. Mistakes happen but not when he technically owns it since he paid for the rifle and there's paperwork on it started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

You mad bro?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Yes, he (me) mad.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Free Mustache Rides
CGN Contributor

The company also sells all kinds of sporting goods and probably has some pretty stupid employees who don't know there a** from there face, the dumb blonde employee probably sold your rifle. I understand being pissed off because i would be too. Every company Fu*KS up now and then. You don't own that rifle until you take possession of it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm mad at a cloud, but I'm an older man.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM

I'd think you be more pissed about Gander charging at least 15%-20% more than anyone else.

But everyone knows that is par for the course for Gander.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Surprisingly, the price was fair. $399 when Ruger lists retail for the model I wanted at $415 (i think).
Old 06-13-2013, 2:24 PM

Look, it is another they made one mistake so don't shop there post. I guess we should not go anywhere that makes one mistake, if we did that there would be no where to shop.

I bet 99% of the people that complain about a single mistake have never owned their own company or never made a single mistake in their own lives.
Old 06-13-2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Look, it is another they made one mistake so don't shop there post. I guess we should not go anywhere that makes one mistake, if we did that there would be no where to shop.

I bet 99% of the people that complain about a single mistake have never owned their own company or never made a single mistake in their own lives.

So how many mistakes does it take then before you stop using a vendor, or do you need more facts?

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you, but have they actually changed the price of the item on their website or is this an assumption on your part.

I like to know all the facts before I stop using any vendors.
Old 06-13-2013, 5:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

This.

Calguns Community Chapters (C3) - San Diego
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Bro, do you even operate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 06-13-2013, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Its actually $329 this week at turners...

Get your money back if you can and buy from Turners...

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-13-2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Its actually $329 this week at turners...

Get your money back if you can and buy from Turners...

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php
Or at least ask Gander to price-match, as they generally do.
Old 06-13-2013, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=661875

Read this and read what Wes (CGF board and owner tenpercentfirearms) has to say regarding gun sold during the wait. Post #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 06-13-2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=661875

Read this and read what Wes (CGF board and owner tenpercentfirearms) has to say regarding gun sold during the wait. Post #23
I have seen that post before. It is correct that I do not have title to the firearm. It wasn't mine when I paid for it. However, as he mentioned in the post, there was a contractual duty. Article 2 UCC, merchant seller of goods plain and simple.

Needless to say its a waste of my time to do anything about it. And I know it. I'm not talking about suing anyone or claiming stolen property, merely expressing my frustration. Yes, their business will not suffer. Evidently clear by the fact that they sold the rifle that I had paid for to another customer. But I will not let it slide either, and taking the few minutes to post about it was worth the time in my opinion and made me feel better. After all, this is a public forum.
Old 06-13-2013, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdc View Post
Or at least ask Gander to price-match, as they generally do.
Yes, i would do that. And tell them to throw in a case or some ammo for wasting my time

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-13-2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog650 View Post
I'd think you be more pissed about Gander charging at least 15%-20% more than anyone else.

But everyone knows that is par for the course for Gander.
I was at the grand re-opening of one of their locations when they converted it to a firearm only store about a month ago. The ammo prices were lower than anywhere else I've seen in the past 6 months including online. The gun prices were pretty good too. Not sure if it was just for the opening, but there were no "sale" tags on anything, leading me to believe they were regular price. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many guns (for sale) in one place. 3 walls ~75' each, line with rifles and shotguns, and cases in front, completely full of handguns! I can't wait to move back to the Midwest and make GM my LGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.

Last edited by Agent 0range; 06-13-2013 at 7:37 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 7:25 PM
Banned

Tagged
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdabaker23 View Post
God forbid someone makes a mistake. Sh*t happens and gander mtn is a great place. I understand being mad but no need to stop doing business with them. Have you ever made a mistake? ??
You must be joking. A "great place" does not make a simple mistake like that, and "sh*t like this" shouldn't happen with any "great place".
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdabaker23 View Post
The company also sells all kinds of sporting goods and probably has some pretty stupid employees who don't know there a** from there face, the dumb blonde employee probably sold your rifle. I understand being pissed off because i would be too. Every company Fu*KS up now and then. You don't own that rifle until you take possession of it.
OP paid for the rifle, and you the joker said he doesn't own it? The rifle that has a serial number that belong to him??
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Every company (and every person) occasionally messes up. I think the sign of a good company is how they react to the mistake and attempt to resolve the issue. But, it doesn't even look like you gave them a chance to make it right.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix168 View Post
OP paid for the rifle, and you the joker said he doesn't own it? The rifle that has a serial number that belong to him??
He is right on that point. I do not own the rifle, but I have a contractual right to receive a rifle of the type I ordered. Reason being the customer that bought it was almost certainly not aware that the rifle in question was technically sold to me at the time, if it is even possible to identify the rifle that I ordered or if they just put one on a shelf somewhere. Thus the new owner has obtained proper title, and I cannot compel him to give me the rifle if I wanted to. All I could do is attempt to find a replacement and If I really wanted seek the difference in price from Gander for breaching the contract. See my post above.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell View Post
Every company (and every person) occasionally messes up. I think the sign of a good company is how they react to the mistake and attempt to resolve the issue. But, it doesn't even look like you gave them a chance to make it right.
I should have made it clear that their attempt to resolve the issue was to put one on backorder for me and told me it would take approximately 4-10 weeks. If I wanted to do that, I would have ordered one from my LSG and had them make the order for me instead.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanse Davion View Post
He is right on that point. I do not own the rifle, but I have a contractual right to receive a rifle of the type I ordered. Reason being the customer that bought it was almost certainly not aware that the rifle in question was technically sold to me at the time, if it is even possible to identify the rifle that I ordered or if they just put one on a shelf somewhere. Thus the new owner has obtained proper title, and I cannot compel him to give me the rifle if I wanted to. All I could do is attempt to find a replacement and If I really wanted seek the difference in price from Gander for breaching the contract. See my post above.
I will have to disagree, and even I will disagree with that guy from tenpercent. Think along the line that "if the buyer cancels the purchase for any reason, including a failed DROS, the buyers is subject to a restocking fees".

Anyway, good luck with your rifle search.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 AM

I have ordered a few firearms online and don't ever recall getting a serial no. on it despite having paid in full.

As far as I am concern, it does not belong to me till I take possession of it!
Old 06-14-2013, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

I had dealt with Gander Mountain and it was quite negative. I saw a gun on sale in their weekly ad, a Walther PPQ, and dropped by their Fredericksburg store to see the gun when I was returning from an IPSC match. Well, they had the gun in stock, and the price was $499, lower than I had seen it at the local gun shows. The salesman at the gun counter showed me the gun and I looked it over. Maybe it's because I already had 2 Walther P99's or maybe I just didn't want to spend the money at the time, but I passed on the deal. It was an agonizing move for me because I thought I had passed up a nice gun, so I posted here on Calguns asking if anyone had experience with this model. My suspicions confirmed, the sale ended and I missed out. Gander Mountain didn't try hard enough to separate me from my money and I missed out on a good deal. They didn't lie to me, make up stories about the gun being rare or becoming unavailable next week, or how SOF operators used these as their personal sidearms, otherwise I would have bought the Walther. Instead, they just let me decide for myself. Gander Mountain had lower prices on their sale guns than what you'll find at local gun shows and they had them in stock. What a bad business practice, I should never go there again.

Last edited by dwtt; 06-14-2013 at 4:28 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 9:37 PM

Agreed!