Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-13-2013, 9:22 AM

Default TruGlo Red dot for $50 or Bushnell TRS25 for $90

Guys, help me decide. Is 3 MOA vs 5 MOA worth almost double?

I don't know much about either of these other than what's out on the web, but they both seem decent. The TruGlo has a lifetime warranty which is nice for a low end scope since i'm sure i'll have a problem some day.

I'm mainly an OC indoor range shooter. 5 MOA? is this decent?

it'll be going on an AK, so accuracy isn't of supreme importance, but i'm imagining myself trying to look through a 5moa and seeing nothing but a giant red dot.

Your opinions are welcomed

Bushnell

or

Truglo
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM

TRS-25 for sure. I have one and works great for the price. I am sure plenty of people use truglo but I wouldn't use it on anything other than a 22. The TRS is inexpensive and reliable.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM

MP: do you suppose the TRS25 is worth almost double? That's the question i'm asking. I have never convinced myself to buy once cry once. Just can't stomach paying 400 bucks for an optic. 50....90....all those are reasonable. Just trying to decide if that Bushnell is that much better.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

the dot size doesn't matter at all. You admit you are shooting paper targets. You tailor your target for the dot if need be. The human eye is REALLY good at aligning circles. Easily possible to shoot FAR smaller groups than the dot size when you use the right target.

For red dots, I prefer a target with a black round center slightly larger than the dot is, whatever the size and range. This yields me the best groups.

so, 1 moa, 3 moa, 5 moa, 10 moa, it's all good for target shooting, indoors or out, 5 yards or 100 yards. Plenty of folks here claim they can hold at 200-300 yards just fine with a red dot too.

Anyways, the tru-glo is not what you want. The on/off knob will loosen under recoil, and it'll happen pretty quick.

You can buy cheap (no need for a $1500 red dot), but I suggest prioritizing sturdiness above all else (including dot size). You'll be better off with the Bushnell.

---------------------

If you only trust opinions from people who talk about personal experience (the "trust me, I know" argument), then I could tell you I owned a matchdot that allowed me to change the dot size from 2moa to 8moa in 2moa increments. 8 moa was not too large, and it was ideal for indoor range shooting or 25 yard shooting. 2moa was rarely used as it was difficult to find the dot in a pistol and washed out frequently at 100 yards in bright daylight. I did most of my shooting (50 and 100 yards) using the 4 moa dot.

Good luck. If 5moa worries you THAT much, I suggest you look at a vortex or ultradot option @ $120-150 price point for a smaller dot.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 06-13-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 PM

ive run the truglo on everything from a 12ga to AR platform. it works,its just ugly. and no,it wont loosen under recoil,mine never did.

i also have the bushnell. im rough on it and its still going strong. great budget optic
Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Odd. My buddy's didn't last long on a mossberg 500. I finished the job with a big bore revolver.
Old 06-13-2013, 1:15 PM

What about Primary Arms? Don't you have one? Did it meet your expectations?
I can see spending $$ on scopes, but dot sights, I can't justify $500 vs. $100.

Last edited by autoduel; 06-13-2013 at 1:18 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 1:18 PM

I like my PA's. Good stuff. That's in the TRS-25 price range. I suppose i'm splitting hairs. Difference in price between all these options is the cost of ammo for one range trip.
Old 06-14-2013, 8:12 AM

I don't have a TruGlo but I did cheap out on my first rds... A Leaper's. Put it on my AK and first time at the range the covers flew apart. It won't hold zero between trips, either. The TruGlo looks almost identical...would not surprise me if they were made in the same factory. Leaper's warranty service was good but what's the point if it can't hold up?

I replaced it with a Vortex Strikefire and am quite content.
Old 06-14-2013, 9:23 AM

I am going the other way. I got a vortex sparc which I like and I'm going progressively cheaper

If this sub hundred optic sucks, the next one will be an aimpoint

Sent From My Phone
Old 06-14-2013, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

If you're shooting at 100 yards and up, then I'd definitely choose a 3 MOA over 5 MOA dot. If shooting at 50 yards then either would be fine since the difference at closer distances is less noticeable.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I am going the other way. I got a vortex sparc which I like and I'm going progressively cheaper

If this sub hundred optic sucks, the next one will be an aimpoint

Sent From My Phone
so you bought a Sparc? The sparc isn't sub 100.00. Maybe I am not understanding your post.

Calguns Community Chapters (C3) - San Diego
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Bro, do you even operate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpants View Post
so you bought a Sparc? The sparc isn't sub 100.00. Maybe I am not understanding your post.
what i mean is, i started with the most expensive optic i own (sparc) and appear to be going progressively cheaper each new optic i get.

i hope this next one (under 100 bucks) is decent
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

I would go with the Bushnell. Personally I have a Bushy holosight that is bombproof. It's the same as an eo tech minus the awsome battery life. I don't have the type your looking at but I know 5 different guys who run those exact sights on their working guns. These guys work in Afgahanistan doing contract security and training work. They all run AK's of some type, ultimaks or tws rails and that very bushnell your asking about. They trust them.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 06-17-2013, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 06-17-2013, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

bushnell or primary arms

Old 06-18-2013, 1:48 PM

I may end up with one of each. That's always the best solution

Sent From My Phone
Old 06-19-2013, 8:05 AM

Trs fans, does your optic have an obstruction in the lower right corner ? I know it's the electronics, but it sticks out far enough to be annoying. Just wondering if it's just this one or if they're all that way.