Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-12-2013, 2:03 PM

Default Cleaning a new rifle...

I am a new firearm owner getting ready to take my newly aquired rifle to the range for the first time. It's a Remington 597 .22lr. I also bought a boresnake and cleaning solvent and oil. Should I strip the gun down prior to it's first use? Cleaning the bore is easily done in a matter or seconds. After watching various YouTube videos, takedown and re-assembly aren't too complicated. But, should I be using a "dry lube" in the receiver? Or is hoppe's sufficient? Should this be done prior to it's first action, or after? Or both. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-12-2013, 2:10 PM

Also, the owners manual (yes I read it cover-to-cover) states the barrel and chamber should be cleaned before first firing. So I guess I am asking if I need to take the gun apart to clean the chamber? Or I guess the boresnake probably does the trick?? Thanks again!!

So far my collection includes the 597, and a Mossberg 500.
Old 06-12-2013, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The bore snake will do it for you. When you buy a "cleaning kit" do not buy a kit with a Alum 3 piece rod. You will do more damage to the barrel than if you never cleaned it. Spend the money for a one piece rod like a Dewey or Pro-shooter and buy the other pieces you need seperately.
PS: there are many better solvents than #9.
Old 06-12-2013, 9:14 PM
Just Be Yourself
CGN Contributor

Cleaning before and after would not hurt.

Now stay safe and enjoy!
Old 06-12-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes take the firearm apart and clean it before you shoot it.
You will learn the inner workings of it which is good to know and remove the thick packing oil in it and any manufacturing debris.

Hoppes 9 is not a lubricant its a solvent.

Hoppes does make good oils though I have used their "Elite Oil" for years, mostly because its easy to get at Walmart.
Generally 22LR do not like to be run wet so do not use too much oil.

Yes use a bore snake. Because of the design of most semiautomatic 22LR receivers you can not put a traditional rod down them from the chamber end. But I believe you can use a rod on the 597 if you remove the bolt buffer and use that hole as a rod guide if I remember correct. But a bore snake is going to be much easier.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 PM

My 597 was a jam-o-matic untill I polished my bolt and guide rods like described in this guys vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mhGxRcbED3E take a look at the video on how to polish the parts that need it and how tight to adjust the rods. Mine was way off from the factory. Now she's a real good shooter. I use to hate my rifle, but not anymore.
Old 06-13-2013, 7:41 AM

The Dewey one piece rods are good. The handle is made, so when you push the rod with brush through the barrel, the rod turns(with brush or patches)as it goes through the barrel rifling. Also the rod is Teflon coated so it cant scratch the inside of the barrel.
you can go to their website: dewey cleaning systems or something like that.