Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

View Poll Results: Do you believe it is immoral to raise your kids in an area where you can't carry?
Yes 11 23.91%
No 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

Question Do you believe it is immoral to raise your kids in an area where you can't carry?

Do you believe it is immoral to raise your kids in an area where you can't carry a firearm legally to protect your family should the need arise?

*Please don't bother posting all the exceptions of not being able to move due to jobs etc, in this question we assume you have the ability to move to AZ versus CA for example, and still be able to survive, even if there is difficulty involved in making the move.

ie: You and your wife are recently married and planning on having kids, you know that you live in a particular region that is not going to allow you to carry legally.

Your choices then become:

Carry illegally and risk everything, prison time etc.

Move to some other area that allows you to carry legally.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM

I'm more concerned with living in an area that is safe for kids, has good schools, etc. There is other criteria that weighs just as much if not more than being able to CCW. I would find an area that meets everything on my wish list, but you don't always get what you want and being married, you're not the only one making the decision.
If I was mobile at the moment, looking for a place to move to, it would certainly be one of the criteria on the list, but it won't be the only one. I would not go so far as to call it a morality issue, after all, we are still living in California.
Carrying illegally is a whole other issue. If you're willing to do that, then moving to an area that doesn't allow CCW doesn't make sense for you and is a deal breaker.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

As much of a gun nut as I am I am blown away by questions like this.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM

I am almost offended by the question. What does being able to carry have to do with morality?
This article sums it up nicely, if you have the right and ability to carry, then it comes closer to a moral/ethical question...
http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/...sheepdogs.html
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP45TACTICAL View Post
As much of a gun nut as I am I am blown away by questions like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA300 View Post
I am almost offended by the question. What does being able to carry have to do with morality?
This article sums it up nicely, if you have the right and ability to carry, then it comes closer to a moral/ethical question...
http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/...sheepdogs.html
I don't see the difficulty...

If there is nothing stopping you from moving to an area that would allow you to carry and therefore allow you to better protect your family, and you make the choice not to do so...
Old 06-12-2013, 1:06 PM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

I'd be more concerned about living in areas so dangerous that you either carry illegally or move. Even if I could carry legally I'm still not moving to South Central LA.
Old 06-12-2013, 1:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz la Nuit View Post
If there is nothing stopping you from moving to an area that would allow you to carry and therefore allow you to better protect your family, and you make the choice not to do so...
Then you make the choice to do so.

Or even better - you fight to make shall issue Statewide, rather than this bullcrap system of individual county Sheriff control by political hacks.

What is this thread about again???

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 06-12-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz la Nuit View Post
I don't see the difficulty...

But, again, what does that have to do with morality?
Old 06-12-2013, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA300 View Post
But, again, what does that have to do with morality?
The poll add location into the mix, when in reality its more or less this:

Is it immoral for a parent to NOT carry a firearm in protection of his/her family? Particularly when knowing they would not be able to prevent a violent situation without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 06-12-2013, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

People have different priorities.

Physical security is only one aspect of life.

Social, financial, emotional security are important as well in terms of security.

Education, music, art, creativity, etc.

Do what works for YOU and your family.

The problem is when what works for YOU doesn't work for your FAMILY.
Old 06-12-2013, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
What is this thread about again???
The OP is obviously looking for support in beating his wife into submission to move. Not going to happen because your question is flawed.

Where you choose to live isn't a moral question.

Choosing to do something illegal is the only moral question here
Old 06-12-2013, 2:40 PM

Just cause you can carry doesn't mean the area is safer and better for kids....
Old 06-12-2013, 2:43 PM

I think immoral is the wrong word. There is an elevated risk though. I don't plan on having kids until I'm settled down, and part of being settled down for me, is living in a free state.
Old 06-12-2013, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

No.
Old 06-12-2013, 6:11 PM
Banned

Old 06-12-2013, 6:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Immoral? No.
Old 06-12-2013, 9:32 PM

A moral question is do I have the right to defend myself and my family from the BGs. What is not a moral question is what am I allowed to use to defend myself against a BG. For most of human history, rulers have imposed restrictions on the weapons that can be used and at times say defense is not allowed.

Martial arts developed in China because the rulers said the peasants could not have swords. So some of them figured out how to use common items as weapons to defend against those with swords. Most of the martial arts weapons we are familiar with today developed from farming tools and other commonly found items in the household.

There are ways to defend yourself and family without a gun. Now it takes years of study and practice and ultimately in old age those that were great can no longer handle the physical stress. Firearms are the great equalizer.

The real question is then should I only rely on one way to protect myself and my family. What are you going to do when you really need that gun but do not have it for whatever reason? Right now, even CCW permits have limits if you wish to stay legal and not have the government interfere with your life and liberty because you made the choice to carry when and where the law said you could not. That roll of the dice will mess everything up no matter if you win or loose.

Learn other ways of self-defense as well as ways to get out of harms way.

Finally ask, is it moral for me to risk the future of my family just so I can stick to my guns but get caught carrying where the law says you cannot and have it end with the slamming of the steel doors and weekend visits with your family?

Being responsible for family means sometimes exercising caution to prevent having to fight a battle you might loose. After all, we all hear how violent crime is down even though there are more guns in circulation. By that logic, you are less likely to be a victim of violent crime and more likely to get caught doing something stupid to get yourself labelled a criminal.

I can think like the liberal anti crowd because I grew up around them and I have been around them all my life. I have also spent time in places where LOC is the accepted norm and nobody blinks an eye. There are still places like this, they are off the beaten path. I have no problem with the concept of carrying. I I do believe it is a natural right for a person to select the weapon they wish to carry for protection. If I could, I would get my CCW. The law abiding will always be and the criminals will do whatever they want in spite of the laws.

Finally, as an older family man, I have many other factors to consider before moving. The main one is do I still want to see my kids on a daily basis because my wife is not going to leave. Secondly, I have successfully defended myself twice from BG with guns when I did not have a gun. That is why many martial arts experts say the mind is the weapon. BG are generally only going to attack if they believe you are weak. They will strike when you do not have the gun. You can use that against them.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM

Definition of IMMORAL
: not moral; broadly : conflicting with generally or traditionally held moral principles