Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-06-2007, 6:18 PM

Default Mossberg 500 Forend Removal

I just got a mossberg 500 and I want to put a hogue forend and stock on it since the originals feel like junk. Before I order them I want to know how to remove the forend. Is it only held on by the retaining clip or is there a nut I'm not seeing. I'm stumped!
Old 12-06-2007, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arib View Post
I just got a mossberg 500 and I want to put a hogue forend and stock on it since the originals feel like junk. Before I order them I want to know how to remove the forend. Is it only held on by the retaining clip or is there a nut I'm not seeing. I'm stumped!
first, remove the forend from the action. you will see 2 notches in the metal at the front. you need to use a square edged piece of metal to turn that nut off. thats it.

ive sucessfully used the tang of a file to turn that nut in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.
Old 12-06-2007, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Actually you need to remove the barrel. to do this slide the fore end towards the back ( as if you were pumping in a round and i know this is obvious but make sure its unloaded) leave the slide towards the back. dont pump it back forward.) on the end of the mag tube there is a nut with knurled sides. remove the nut. Once you remove the nut the barrel shoudl slide free of the receiver. it may take some wiggling. once barrel is removed you will be left with the mag tube and the receiver. if you look at the tip of the foregrip there will be a large nut with two notches . I usually use a long screwdriver with a small flat head tip. i wrap the screwdriver in tape so i dont scratch the gun. then unscrew the nut. the forend will simply slide off once you take off the nut but in my case I had to really work at getting the forend off. Removing the barrel makes it easier to do the swap
Rob
Old 12-06-2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
Actually you need to remove the barrel. to do this slide the fore end towards the back ( as if you were pumping in a round and i know this is obvious but make sure its unloaded) leave the slide towards the back. dont pump it back forward.) on the end of the mag tube there is a nut with knurled sides. remove the nut. Once you remove the nut the barrel shoudl slide free of the receiver. it may take some wiggling. once barrel is removed you will be left with the mag tube and the receiver. if you look at the tip of the foregrip there will be a large nut with two notches . I usually use a long screwdriver with a small flat head tip. i wrap the screwdriver in tape so i dont scratch the gun. then unscrew the nut. the forend will simply slide off once you take off the nut but in my case I had to really work at getting the forend off. Removing the barrel makes it easier to do the swap
Rob
better to remove the forend from the frame. removing that nut while the forend is on the mag tube is asking for complications. specially in a new gun thats never been apart before.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, be sure to measure the action slide tube (the thing the forend is attached to) before you order your new forend grip. Mossberg has two different sized tubes. The one that came on my 500A is 7 5/8". I ordered a Choate forend pistol grip and also an ATI grooved forend grip and both are designed for the 8 7/8" action slide tube. I was able to cut down the Choate grip to make it work with the shorter slide tube, but the ATI wasn't able to be modified to work.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 12-06-2007, 7:03 PM

The tip of the forend is totally solid- there is no place to stick a screwdriver. Looking at the exploded view in the manual I see where everything is, but it doesn't correspond to the gun. The forend is directly on the mag tube so I don't know wtf is up. I have an 870 so I know what your talking with the forend nut, but I'm just not seeing it.
Old 12-06-2007, 7:13 PM

Quote:
The tip of the forend is totally solid- there is no place to stick a screwdriver. Looking at the exploded view in the manual I see where everything is, but it doesn't correspond to the gun. The forend is directly on the mag tube so I don't know wtf is up. I have an 870 so I know what your talking with the forend nut, but I'm just not seeing it.
i will digital videotape disassembly if you want. its very easy once you know how. just lemme know if you need that.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 7:27 PM

Sloguy if you could viedotape it that'd be awesome. I'm looking at the gun right now and there is no "action slide assembly" and no "action slide tube nut" like there is on the diagram. There is a clip at the back of the forend that fits in the notches on the action bars. The forend rides directly on the magtube so I'm still stumped. Its a brand new big 5 combo if it matters.
Old 12-06-2007, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sloguy if you could viedotape it that'd be awesome. I'm looking at the gun right now and there is no "action slide assembly" and no "action slide tube nut" like there is on the diagram. There is a clip at the back of the forend that fits in the notches on the action bars. The forend rides directly on the magtube so I'm still stumped. Its a brand new big 5 combo if it matters.
Can you take a picture of it and post it? That doesn't sound right.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 12-06-2007, 7:35 PM

yeah i'll try with my cell phone
Old 12-06-2007, 8:04 PM

i can only figure out how to get an extremely small pic so if anyone can enlarge it or even see what i'm talking about please chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mossy.jpeg (2.2 KB, 465 views)
Old 12-06-2007, 8:54 PM

Quote:
i can only figure out how to get an extremely small pic so if anyone can enlarge it or even see what i'm talking about please chime in.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 9:13 PM

I have a Mossberg 500A and have a 6 3/4" forend tube (5+1) and had to buy a forend adapter nut when I bought a Hogue forend.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...889&t=11082005
Old 12-06-2007, 9:15 PM

Thanks for the pics sloguy. Looking at them I can definitely tell mine is different. On mine, there is no gap or nut at the tip of the forend. The forend sits directly on the magtube and is directly attached to the action bars. I was just at big 5 and the other combo models were the exact same, but the 8 shot ones (with the forend like sloguys) had the nut and everything you guys describe. I don't know if thats just the new mossy design or if its just put together wrong (I don't think its defective cause it fires with snap caps and cycles shells fine). I'm gonna try and shoot it on Saturday and hopefully it'll be fine, but at this point I feel like I should've just got another barrel for my 870.

edit: shinigami does that adapter nut screw onto anything? if your forend is like mine and rides directly on the magtube please tell me how the @#$% you got it off because this is driving me crazy.

Last edited by arib; 12-06-2007 at 9:20 PM.. Reason: new question
Old 12-06-2007, 9:58 PM

The nut is recessed, there is a tool that you can buy called a forend wrench, it's a good tool to have if you're worried about scratching your gun or damaging the threads.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...227&t=11082005

If you don't have the tool (I didn't) I fabricated a metal bar that fits the slots on the nut. Then used a monkey wrench to turn the metal bar. It took me a few minutes to take it off. Once it's off, you'll see that the forend nut screws into the action slide tube assembly.

#5 in this diagram
http://www.nrapublications.org/TAR/MossbergExView.asp

The Big 5 Mossberg combo has a bigger (fatter?) forend than the 8 shot version. But basically it's the same thing.

Can you take a bigger picture file of it?

Last edited by shinigami; 12-06-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 PM

i just used a regular hex key that fit the slot

Last edited by Jaiofspam; 12-06-2007 at 10:11 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try to get a bigger picture of it sometime because it seems odd that my new gun marked Mossberg 500a would not match Mossberg's own schematic in the owner's manual. I know I'm a noob here but I have enough mechanical and previous gun experience to see that there is no forend nut/action slide assembly (#5/#6 on linked schematic) on this particular gun (at least like there is in that picture) so I don't know what to think. As long as it shoots fine and the forend doesn't break I guess I'll be fine with it.
Old 12-07-2007, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try to get a bigger picture of it sometime because it seems odd that my new gun marked Mossberg 500a would not match Mossberg's own schematic in the owner's manual. I know I'm a noob here but I have enough mechanical and previous gun experience to see that there is no forend nut/action slide assembly (#5/#6 on linked schematic) on this particular gun (at least like there is in that picture) so I don't know what to think. As long as it shoots fine and the forend doesn't break I guess I'll be fine with it.
We don't need a picture of your gun. We know what a Mossberg 500 looks like and you don't have the one mossberg that is built differently than the other 100,00 0 of them floating around.

Your problem is you are confused about the BASIC disassembly process. For gods sake, you keep talking about how the slide is on the magazine tube. You must FIRST take the entire slide off the damn mag tube so you are just holding the slide assembly and not the entire gun. Then, things might be more clear for you. If you are unable to remove the forend assembly from the magazine tube and action (the WHOLE slide assembly comes off as one piece with the action bars), then you can't do this yourself. It is a basic operation to release the action bars from the action. Spend more time tinkering around with it than typing at the keyboard. Don't you have a manual for your gun?

Last edited by ohsmily; 12-07-2007 at 1:42 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 8:54 PM

ohsmily...I know exaclty what you're syaing...and I may seem retarded...but there is not- I repeat not a forend nut or slide tube assembly on this Mossberg 500. I understand gun disassembly perfectly fine. On this particular gun the forend is held onto the action bars by a two pronged clip that fits into a slot on each action bar. The action bars are physically slid into the forend. There is nothing between the forend and the magtube...it rides DIRECTLY on it and I can see that the blued metal magtube clearly through all of the holes on top of the forend. If you don't believe me go to Big 5 and take a look at the 500a combo...They have a completely different forend assembly than the 8 shot ones. There is no forend nut and there is at most a 1mm gap at the tip of the forend. In fact, the tip of the forend is completely enclosed unlike sloguys pics where the top is open. On the top of the forend there are 6 crossbeams that are there for strength and the forend (one molded piece) is on the magtube. And I already said this gun does not match the exploded view diagram in the manual that came with it!

Last edited by arib; 12-07-2007 at 9:01 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 12-07-2007, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Are you sure you're looking at the right end of the forend? I enlarged the photo you posted, and you didn't even have the nut in the picture. I have a 5 shot 500A combo from Big 5, this is what it looks like:

Old 12-07-2007, 9:19 PM

ok, here's a pic of my forend. That's a Hogue forend, and you can see the action slide tube. Compare it with your's, I tried enlarging your pic but it was too blurry.

Last edited by shinigami; 12-07-2007 at 9:50 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 9:24 PM

I kinda enlarged your pic, just a bit. Looks different from mine or wilit. There's that cross beam which you can clearly see, which I don't have, even with my factory forend.

Last edited by shinigami; 12-07-2007 at 9:42 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 9:53 PM

Alright thanks for the new pics guys. I can definitely say that our forends are completely different. My action bars are molded directly into the forend, which if I have read correctly is the way the Maverick 88 (cheapo mossberg) is made. So either the new mossberg combos (my receiver is marked 500a) use this type of forend, or I got screwed and got one assembled with the Maverick 88 style forend. Either way I think I'll just get a new "slide tube assembly" off gunbroker and convert mine because I really want that hogue forend!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, sounds like you got hosed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...76#post3723776

If you want, you can buy the Mossberg action slide tube from www.e-gunparts.com for $32. But it looks like they're out of stock at the moment.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Would Mossberg replace it for free? seeing that it was stamped as a Mossberg 500A and not a Maverick? Try contacting them first and see what they can do.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

dude, the way to take the forstock off is at the front of the forend assembly. why are you looking at the rear near the action rails?

Quote:
Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy View Post
dude, the way to take the forstock off is at the front of the forend assembly. why are you looking at the rear near the action rails?
Yup, I know that, I'm just showing the forend for comparison.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Yeah I definitely got hosed. I'll try to contact Mossberg and see what they'll do but I found a slide assembly on gunbroker for $25 so I may just skip the BS and buy it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Triple Unobtainium Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

An excellent video on how to disassemble and reassemble a Mossy 500...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI
Old 12-08-2007, 1:17 PM

I sent an email to Mossberg explaining the issue. If I don't get a response by Monday or Tuesday I'll call them up. I really don't fee like paying extra for their screw up.
Old 12-08-2007, 8:49 PM

how is it different exactly?

Quote:
Old 12-08-2007, 9:33 PM

The forend and action bars are all molded into one piece, instead of the traditional 500A forend/forend tube/tube nut. The action bars are slid directly into the forend and are held there by a two pronged clip. This whole assembly sits directly on the magtube.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The forend and action bars are all molded into one piece, instead of the traditional 500A forend/forend tube/tube nut. The action bars are slid directly into the forend and are held there by a two pronged clip. This whole assembly sits directly on the magtube.
can you take pics of this? im having trouble understanding what you have. or any pics from online?

Quote:
Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy View Post
can you take pics of this? im having trouble understanding what you have. or any pics from online?
The best pic I was able to get is on page 3 of the thread that shinigami blew up for me. You can see those crossbars (for strength maybe?) that enclose the top of the forend, and can barely see the two prong clip near the back. I did a yahoo search for Maverick 88 and apparently this is how the Maverick forearm is.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Tried to show the clip in the fuzzy pic. Take a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mossy Clip.JPG (12.9 KB, 247 views)
Old 12-13-2007, 9:45 PM

Was this issue resolved? Did Mossberg reply to you?
Old 12-19-2007, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
Was this issue resolved? Did Mossberg reply to you?
The issue is resolved....but Mossberg didn't reply to me. I ended up buying a forend tube off gunbroker, and I got the Houge grips installed yesterday. I love the way they feel but still have a sour taste in my mouth from Mossy's crappy customer service.
Old 01-25-2008, 1:48 PM

Well after a month and a half I finally got a response from Mossberg. I emailed them the serial number of my particular 500A and their response was:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, this model should have this forearm pins attached , This are the new models that we have. So it's normal. If you need further assistance contact us again. Thank you. "

If you want aftermarket grips make sure that the particular 500A you buy has the standard forend assembly!
Old 01-25-2008, 3:08 PM

So I am still a little confused here. What model 500 did you buy that now comes with this forend setup? Is it a Maverick version? I just want to make sure I don't buy the same one!
Old 01-25-2008, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic214 View Post
So I am still a little confused here. What model 500 did you buy that now comes with this forend setup? Is it a Maverick version? I just want to make sure I don't buy the same one!
I got the 18"/28" barrel 500A combo from Big 5. It is marked 500A just like the rest of them, and is not a Maverick. It seems like the ones that come with one barrel still have the old setup, and the combos come with the new crappy assembly.