Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-11-2013, 5:27 PM

Default Wife: "Why do you need more guns?"

After spending our entire marriage gun-free (she was always uneasy about having guns in the house with kids), my wife finally relented and consented to getting a gun earlier this year. Purchased a Ruger GP-100. And I got the bug. So for father's day I got myself a 9mm Beretta PX4 storm. She was a little less comfortable with that one, asking why if the latter is such a great gun, why do we need to keep the Ruger. Well, I got past that one. Today, a co-worker who is moving offered to give, yes give, me three handguns (I think a 380, a 22 pistol, and some other small handgun). Even though it won't cost anything (other than ppt fees), I anticipate some major hesitation on my wife to going from a life of no guns to being so well stocked. I don't need this many guns, but I certainly want them!! So help a brother out and give me some ideas for answering the wife's question and getting her on board.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:30 PM

Sneak them in the house bro. You do what you got to do. She doesn't need to know about the other guns. My wife has got on me for the same thing. I just say I traded this gun for that gun.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Tell her you won't object when someone wants to give her 3 nice kitchen utensils.

Compare them to her purses or shoes...

Different equipment for different situations/uses.

And great score on those pocket pistols!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Keep up the name calling, insult and BREAKING THE RULES and you'll prolly get banned hellla quick bro..

Good luck. Maybe a new wife who likes gun.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:34 PM

There is no getting her on board. I went from having no guns in our house to having 2 ARs, 2 9mms, 2 .22s, and 1 shotgun in less than 6 months. Granted I had 1 .22 and the shotgun since before we were dating, but I finally realized that I wanted to bring them out of hiding from my dads house. Discussions on gun control and 2A rights often got heated at our house. She's not anti-gun in general, bit she's anti-gun in our house. I think she finally just reached the point that I'm going to do as I please and arguing about it does nothing but grow resentment. All my firearms are locked up out of sight. When I take them out to clean or put new pieces on the AR I do it after our 4 year old has gone to bed. He knows I have guns in the house and he can not get to them and he knows not to touch them.

Everybody's situation is different. I wish you the best of luck. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:40 PM

Tell her your are getting the 22 for her. I cost more in ammo fees but the best way of getting around this "bug" is by inviting her to go shooting with you every now and then. My wife has named my 9mm Kimber...Kimberly. (She thinks it's hers)
Old 06-11-2013, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Answer: you don't.

you don't need more than 1 car

you don't need one car

you don't need smoke detectors

you don't need a fire extinguisher

you don't need LE response like local police or sheriff

you don't need a stove, kitchen, sink, or even indoor plumbing

guns are tools.

like hammers, screwdrivers, and the above (appliances are a form of tool IMO)

they are specific to what they do within their specifications; a long barreled skeet shotgun with birdshot could be used for self defense, albeit poorly

a snub nosed .44 magnum revolver can be used to shoot skeet as well, albeit poorly

a .22LR pistol could be used for self-defense against grizzly bears and charging wild boars... good luck with that

a .50BMG can be used as a special ops flyswatter by a really, really good marksman... at 400 yards

point being, different guns for different purposes

consider that guns are also a hobby, and people enjoy owning, learning, and shooting different types of gun

I went through years buying all different types of actions, sizes, brands, etc.

then I looked and realized they were mostly safe queens that were brought out to be shown off, but never really shot

realized which ones I liked to shoot, liked to carry, and liked for sentimental value; got rid of the rest. BUT

I know for a fact that I like and have what's best for me at this point in time.

Also hate cheap, crappy guns, hit or miss on reliability which is unacceptable IMO.

I also don't like "new" guns as they usually have bugs to be worked out. Usually hear the gunsmith I have work on it ***** that they should have done "XYZ" at the factory. I like guns now that come from the factory reliable. Old 1911s were never very good from the factory for a long time. The Colt Gold Cup was an amazing gun

Get what you want simply because you want it and it doesn't break the family budget.

Save up some money for a GREAT holster and good training. PM me if you want suggestions.

One reliable pistol + a few good training courses and practice

is greater than

pistol + AR rifle + badass gear + no training

IMHO

Can't tell you how many guys show up at an ADVANCED training course with a $2,000+ custom gun, the latest and greatest equipment and gear, decked out in $350 combat pants...

but their guns aren't lubricated, they don't know safe gun handling, and need handholding for every step of the way when it comes to their gear

with that kind of money available to them, they could get a box stock pistol, a cleaning kit, lubricant, a decent holster and gear, electronic ears, ammo, and spend the rest on training

with great training, you learn that the mission drive the equipment. you don't get "badass stuff", then learn how to use it

I asked a guy why he had a 4x ACOG on his AR when he never shoots past 100 yards, and he replied that it was "the best".

I loaned him an Aimpoint H-1 with no magnification and he agreed it fit his CQB, 100 yards and under shooting needs better.

That ACOG would be great out in the sandbox with targets 300 yards away though...

sorry, rambling, type at dictation speed. sorry
Old 06-11-2013, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsel83 View Post
Sneak them in the house bro. You do what you got to do. She doesn't need to know about the other guns. My wife has got on me for the same thing. I just say I traded this gun for that gun.
Bingo!
Old 06-11-2013, 5:56 PM

INVESTMENT they hold and increase in value more than gold.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:57 PM

DON'T LIE. If she dislikes them somewhat already imagine what will happen when she finds out you lied to her about getting more. I call B.S on any one who says there wife wont find out. She will, then your up Sh** creek without a boat. Talk to her and let her know it's something you enjoy and something you have fun doing. I know that sounds all sappy but its going to be your best chance of having her maybe not "like" guns but put up with them.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Look, don't bankrupt the family over it. Have at least one for defensive purposes, get training.

after that, budget it out just like anything else

she has her wants, you have yours

"You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
voiceofreason
Old 06-11-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemocracyEnaction View Post
INVESTMENT they hold and increase in value more than gold.
^ this and take her shooting.
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's just like having a tool box with many different type of tools for many different types of jobs.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms. Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
I need a LIFE!!

You can give them to me! I not married, and still have room in my safe. They'll have a good home!

BTW, tell her 5 guns is merely a rest stop along the way to being well stocked!

Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 06-11-2013 at 6:15 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 6:25 PM

You are going to need a safe...
Old 06-11-2013, 6:27 PM

"For fun!" Is the only honest answer.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Since when is 5 guns = well stocked. I have 3 large safes full and still need another 2 rifles.

Grow a pair. If you cannot stand your ground you probably should not have them.
Take her shooting with a 22RF and try to get her interested or at least not afraid. Sometimes another person instructing her works better than yourself.
It is a hobby. Would she rather your hobby be spending money out drinking and chasing other gals? Maybe drugs? Also guns usually increase in value as does ammo.
My first wife told me I had to get rid of my guns. I came into the marriage with most of them. She was packed(by me) and out the door in 30 min then I changed the locks.
Life is too short to give up firearms and the enjoyment you can get from them.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:31 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Tell her she is limited to just one pair of shoes then.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:33 PM

Ask how many earrings she owns and then promise not to have more guns than she has earrings.

My wife has a california ccw and just got her Nevada permit in the mail. My problem is keeping the guns I have. She has a way of thinking if she fires it once it is hers.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:39 PM

Glad my wife married a Marine. Non-issue in our home. When she married me, she married the 2A. If she ever develops an issue, I'll really miss her.
Old 06-11-2013, 6:41 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Haha I was in the same situation back in 2009 !!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=171605

Well, it is a done deal now, no more resistance.

Good luck!

MF

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 06-11-2013, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"Well at least you know what hobby I'm spending my money on, I can't afford hookers and blow after the cost of ammo at the range"
Old 06-11-2013, 6:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

same reason you need more shoes
Old 06-11-2013, 6:52 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

"Because I am in charge of the securiy in our house".
Old 06-11-2013, 6:54 PM

Tell her it's for your funeral expense, she can sell it when you die. {JOKE}
Old 06-11-2013, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickterscale View Post
After spending our entire marriage gun-free (she was always uneasy about having guns in the house with kids), my wife finally relented and consented to getting a gun earlier this year. Purchased a Ruger GP-100. And I got the bug. So for father's day I got myself a 9mm Beretta PX4 storm. She was a little less comfortable with that one, asking why if the latter is such a great gun, why do we need to keep the Ruger. Well, I got past that one. Today, a co-worker who is moving offered to give, yes give, me three handguns (I think a 380, a 22 pistol, and some other small handgun). Even though it won't cost anything (other than ppt fees), I anticipate some major hesitation on my wife to going from a life of no guns to being so well stocked. I don't need this many guns, but I certainly want them!! So help a brother out and give me some ideas for answering the wife's question and getting her on board.
LoL. Your name reminds me of a wicked AWPer I used to fight side by side with in RxP...

Good for you on getting the guns, tell your wife to shut her piehole and she does not have to touch them if she does not want to.

Okay, you can also be diplomatic about it and inform her that guns are tools. You might want to take the .22 out plinking with the kids or family one range day or mountain hiking day and the .380 could be nice to carry or keep in the car or as a shtf backup gun. Every tool has a different use, you do not keep a shotgun on you when you go walking around the block with a dog, you pack a small pistol or muy thai fighting sticks. the shotgun is a good home defense weapon that anyone can use so you should have one for the house. Training on these guns is not easy and the skills DO depreciate much like in CS 1.6 so you should always keep your skills up when you can. Perhaps having unloaded firearms around the kids might allow them to be more comfortable with them and maybe less likely to want to play with them, since they are ALWAYS out. (I am not a psyche so do not quote me here, it could be an interesting experiment though). Why does your wife need so many purses or shoes or whatever she has a lot of? She only has TWO arms or hands or feet. Maybe it is your hobby also and you enjoy the mechanics involved. Finally, really? you got hooked on guns after buying a RUGER? Come on now. And THEN a PX4?? Okay, I call BS here. You are buying the WRONG guns. Bring home a $1400 Springfield Operator and she will be all over you. I could be wrong, but then again, if you bring home a $1400 springfield operator then GOOD FOR YOU! Another thing to keep in mind, The Supreme Court of the US (SCOTUS) ruled (I think it was the SCOTUS) that the POLICE have NO OBLIGATION to PROTECT YOU so you have to do that yourself AND you just like to have the best weapons available that you can get and if it means getting some others that you can sell off for a better piece, then so be it. Guns are investments anyways. You buy them and they will go up in value if you take care of them. In 1994 my dad purchased a Colt Kodiak 44 mag limited edition SS revolver with a smooth cylinder for $694 from Turner's Outdoorsman. It was for me but I was only 20 and it was on sale for $599 or something like that. They had them for quite a while though. Later on they came out with a Colt Grizzly .357 revolver to match since it was also in SS and had a smooth cylinder. I figured they would not run out of those so I waited, when I finally went down there to get one they were OUT. GONE and it REALLY was a limited edition gun because you only see one or two on Gunbroker from time to time. Well, I sold off my Kodiak for $2800+ on gunbroker (started bidding at $600) and got a Deagle, Loaded MC Operator, and Equinox in .40. BEST gun sale I ever made. I love my Deagle. It got me into reloading because $8.72 a box of 50 shots is WAY cheaper then $42 a box of 50.

For guys it is all about trading up. Let your wife know that women have an expiration date on their body and it starts on their 30th birthday. From then on it is downhill and since their looks tend to go first, men start looking and if they do not have a kind attitude and are very enjoyable to be around, then they will get the boot and be replaced by an 18 year old trophy wife...
Old 06-11-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
You can give them to me! I not married, and still have room in my safe. They'll have a good home!

BTW, tell her 5 guns is merely a rest stop along the way to being well stocked!
Beat me to it!

I'll be happy to "hold" them for you. I'll store, clean, and work them out regularly for you free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.
Old 06-11-2013, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

Do it smartly - don't try to hide them, she'll find out......eventually
Def get a.22 idea and get her to the range, if you can.

Like I tell my wife; in 10 years what will be your shoes worth?

There's worse hobbies to have....
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 06-11-2013, 7:19 PM

Just tell her you're getting them "FREEEEEEEE".
No one passes up free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
We are surrounded by insanity. We are outnumbered by idiots.
Old 06-11-2013, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior40er View Post
Tell her you won't object when someone wants to give her 3 nice kitchen utensils.
If she's cross enough , all she need do is dial the authorities and claim her husband makes her scared with his massive gun collection. I've known women to phone the police for less then that.

To ensure the OP doesn't get Lautenberg'd, perhaps some negotiation is in order here? Worst case scenario he can establish what makes her angry about firearms if nothing else. The wrong thing to do is to sneak them in and hope she won't notice. That sort of thing can piss off the wife- and hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-11-2013, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickterscale View Post
Wife: "Why do you need more guns?"
Simple answer: "I don't need more guns"

...and leave it at that.

Enjoy your new guns
Old 06-11-2013, 8:06 PM

Why does she need:

more make-up, shoes, dresses, shirts, pants, to have her hair and nails done every week, to go shopping and buy miscellaneous crap from the Mall all the time.

It's your hobby just like the above might be her's. Could be worse, your hobby could be watching Porn on the the 84 inch HD Plasma with surround sound at full volume all week-end long.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
If she's cross enough , all she need do is dial the authorities and claim her husband makes her scared with his massive gun collection. I've known women to phone the police for less then that.

To ensure the OP doesn't get Lautenberg'd, perhaps some negotiation is in order here? Worst case scenario he can establish what makes her angry about firearms if nothing else. The wrong thing to do is to sneak them in and hope she won't notice. That sort of thing can piss off the wife- and hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Very wise words.

Maybe she has a few things in mind she would like to get. Start negotiations with "I'm able to get these for free. So with that money I did not use, let's get you a few things you want".
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
We are surrounded by insanity. We are outnumbered by idiots.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:09 PM

wait wait wait....

if theres dishes in the sink and shes *****in about guns we gots a problem... and when the dishes are done...there is plenty of other stuff she can be worried about...other then your guns

on a serious note, take her shooting, try to introduce her to the sport, if she is just dumbfounded by the idea of having a "collection", then she simply doesnt need to know, you arent hurting anyone, you are not finically doing anything that is of any of her concern.

But you will need to have this ideological split HASHED out at sometime, your kids will one day want to shoot probably? What will she do then?

people who think it just goes away are mislead, you gotta confront the beast.

and by beast I mean conversation...not your wife

Last edited by Norsemen308; 06-11-2013 at 8:13 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 8:13 PM

You: "Why do you need 50 different pairs of black shoes?"

Her: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..."

You: New gun, sleeping on the couch for a week. Buy her a new pair of black shoes, all is good again...
Old 06-11-2013, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post
You: "Why do you need 50 different pairs of black shoes?"

Her: "MY SHOES don't KILL PEOPLE. Who NEEDs a deadly weapon?This isn't the wild west! What are going to do with that, kill SOMEBODY?!"

You: "......"

Her: "If I see another gun in the house, we're getting divorced/Im calling the cops/etc. Nobody needs a semi automatic."
Edited for accuracy.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:22 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Default Wife: "Why do you need more guns?"

You have a safe right?

OK, here's the approach:

- Don't tell her unless she brings up the subject. You are not lying.

- If she asks, tell her the truth that you have just acquired more guns. Avoid confrontation. Keep the conversation short.

- Buy her a pair of shoes and surprise her the next day.

- Then finally tell her that these new acquisitions are for her.

Last edited by tbc; 06-11-2013 at 8:30 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you have a gun safe? If not, make sure you get one that would fit rifles/shotguns.. with kids it is great peace of mind for the wife... and the gun bug with eventually get to where you need the space. Tell her you can trade the ones you got for a shotgun.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
That's not my wife. We have a good relationship. Hence my preference to win her support as opposed to either lying, as suggested by some here, or playing caveman and basically telling her "I do what I want; accept it or get out," as suggested by some others. And she isn't anti-gun or anti-2nd amendment. Just may need some persuasion.