Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-08-2013, 7:58 PM

That's on the outside, how about the bore of that rifle! Scrub, Scrub, Scrub!
Old 06-08-2013, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

ZCORR Gun Storage Bags.
I use them and they always have worked. No need to be anal about what goes on the weapon. Grab n go.
Wow! They even work without a safe and or electricity! Sarcasm off.
Carry on.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Change your name to rusty monkey.
Old 06-09-2013, 1:34 AM

EEZOX. /end thread
Old 06-09-2013, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Monkey View Post
So I decided to play around with my AR15 and 1911. Just to clean and inspect. I haven't been out shooting in a few months, due to the whole ammo situation. Well I clean my guns after every range trip. a few weeks ago, i cleaned and inspected my guns, just to get it ready for another range trip next month. When I went for my guns, they all had surface rust and flash rust... I don't know what caused it, so what can I do to clean it all up? Is there a place I can go to get it re-coated in orange county ca? I threw some frog lube on it, hoping to whipe it all away...

OUCH!
Dude, Kroil and steel wool. Spray the kroil on there and let it soak in for an hour, that rust will come off with light scrubbing. After that coat with oil. Frog Lube is the latest and greatest right? Well I'll take tried and true over the latest and greatest any day.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 06-09-2013, 8:19 AM

Another reason besides price that I will never use F.L.
Old 06-09-2013, 9:05 AM

Agree with the other guys. Get a safe and use a dehumidifying rod to pull the moisture out. I usually wipe the guns down with a silicone coated cloth before storage and use gun socks coated in silicone, which helps draw away the moisture.

Had a little rust on a few guns a long time ago, when I stored my guns in my Dad's safe. He was using the old cans of silicone beads that you need to bake in the oven, but he forgot to do it for several months. I was able to get it off with CLP.

You may want to take them to a gunsmith to pull the guns apart to make sure there isn't any rust on the internals.
Old 06-09-2013, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Play with your guns more often. Then you can keep an eye on em'

[CENTER][B]
THE ONLY TRUE CONSERVATIVE IN THE RACE

DONATE www.TEDCRUZ.ORG <--official donation link .ORG
Old 06-09-2013, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

It really depends upon environment and what you do before putting your firearms away.

I religiously wipe my firearms down with silicone gun cleaning cloths after any handling. I recommend that practice highly. My house is temperature controlled year round. I've had blued firearms in cases for YEARS without developing any rust although I usually leave the cases slightly unzipped so they can breathe.

If you live in an area of high humidity, have a swamp cooler, allow wide variations in temperature and/or don't wipe down your firearms with a protective oil you will have problems if leaving them in cases.

On your AR it looks like you got the barrel good and hot from shooting which burned off any protective oil it had then put it away dry with the unfortunate result.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
OUCH!
Dude, Kroil and steel wool. Spray the kroil on there and let it soak in for an hour, that rust will come off with light scrubbing. After that coat with oil. Frog Lube is the latest and greatest right? Well I'll take tried and true over the latest and greatest any day.
+1 for Kroil. Can't go wrong.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
Play with your guns more often. Then you can keep an eye on em'
If only all the ammo hoarders or paranoid people will calm down with the ammo grabbing. Than I can go back out on the range. before the ammo crisis, I would go every month or every couple of weeks when i get paid . But since the ammo crunch and the RISE of ammo, I had to hoard and sit back. \

As for the barrel its completely fine, I scrub and frog lubed it before storage. I coated the whole gun with Frog Lube and used a bristle brush. every thing came off and now the gun is nice and shinny. It wasn't Frog Lube that caused the rust. It was more or less the place I stored the gun.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 06-09-2013, 1:08 PM

great...i have a mini14 sitting in storage now im worried its covered in rust...
Old 06-09-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
You never store steel items in foam or cloth containers. It will hold moisture and cause the rust you see. You neec to store them in a safe with a golden rod in it, or a bag of decassent. I would also leave them a coat of CLP on them. Not dripping wet, but wiped down with a patch with CLP on them.
I have stored my rifles, shotguns and handguns in foam lined cases for decades with no issues whatsoever. I make sure I put a light coating of oil on them, close them up and forget them. I do live in a dry climate part of California (which is the most important factor for potential for rusting other than finger and hand prints).

Here is how my handguns have been stored for 35+ years:

They all look brand new including my 37 year old Super Single Six Convertible:

Dan
Old 06-09-2013, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Frog Lube is terrible for rust prevention

The best i have found are:

EEzox

Barricade

Corrosion Stop
Old 06-09-2013, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dub View Post
buy one of these

and put this in there
That's what I do and don't have rust issues. I also live within 2 miles of the beach, where everything else rusts but my guns.
Old 06-09-2013, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the for the great info.

Apprehensive, I took all my handguns from their nylon or suede cases...disassembled them, oiled them up, and put them in induvidual plastic bags. Sprayed twice with Rem oil and closed the plastic bags...then into their single cases.

Plan to order the gun racks and humidfer tomorrow and store them properly.

Luckily, no signs of rust.

Side note. I took my M&P 9mm full size to an 8 hours handgun course a while ago. Forgot to clean it. Got some surface rust (I think). Cleaned it with my finger nails and a wood toothpick. Ran a silicone cloth over it. This was 3-4 months ago. Inspecting it today, I notice all the surface rust are gone EXCEPT one spot measuring about 3mm diameter.

How do I get of it? Oil with fine wool? What grade or grit of wool? Where can I get the wool? Oil? Recommendations?

Also, recommendation for a battery operated humidifiers? Are the cans of dissicants good? Don't want a humidifier that has a cord unless necessary.
Thank you.
Old 06-09-2013, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post
thanks for the for the great info.

Apprehensive, I took all my handguns from their nylon or suede cases...disassembled them, oiled them up, and put them in induvidual plastic bags. Sprayed twice with Rem oil and closed the plastic bags...then into their single cases.

Plan to order the gun racks and humidfer tomorrow and store them properly.

Luckily, no signs of rust.

Side note. I took my M&P 9mm full size to an 8 hours handgun course a while ago. Forgot to clean it. Got some surface rust (I think). Cleaned it with my finger nails and a wood toothpick. Ran a silicone cloth over it. This was 3-4 months ago. Inspecting it today, I notice all the surface rust are gone EXCEPT one spot measuring about 3mm diameter.

How do I get of it? Oil with fine wool? What grade or grit of wool? Where can I get the wool? Oil? Recommendations?

Also, recommendation for a battery operated humidifiers? Are the cans of dissicants good? Don't want a humidifier that has a cord unless necessary.
Thank you.
If you're oiling them down, and bagging them before putting them back in the fabric cases, that's fine since moisture can't get to them. If you want to actually get to your guns, that can be a problem, plus it's a little unrealistic for long guns unless you love taking up tons of space for no reason.

Battery operated dehumidifiers(I assume you meant this, since a humidifier would be horrible) as far as I've ever seen don't exist. The cordless models like eva-dry are basically containers of dessicant with a heating coil that you take out of the safe and plug into the wall every once in a while to dry out.

Plain old bags/cans of dessicant work, but they need to be replaced or dried out in the oven periodically.

A typical safe dehumidifier like a "golden rod" works by keeping the air in the safe warm enough(doesn't take much) that the moisture in the air doesn't want to condense on the firearms in the safe, as does not require maintenance other than to make sure it stays running
Old 06-09-2013, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

Merc,

Thanks for info, especially the Dehumidifier. The cord option sounds great..plug it in only periodically.

Sugesstion where and what grade/grit of fine wool?
Old 06-09-2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:
coating the gun with frog lube and using a bristle brush got the job done. Thank you for all your inputs.
Post an after pic........

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 06-09-2013, 3:42 PM

Some of the coating on the barrel came off, but i actually like the battle use look.
Old 06-09-2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
^ lol no, It's in my Rifle bag. Like I said, I take care of my guns, But have not clue when they rusted like that. So I want to re-coat it, just in case. Yes, I love frog lube, it works very well. The last time I cleaned my gun, I didn't wipe the exterior of the gun down with it. Thats probably why it rusted this time around.
So what you're really saying is you didn't take care of your firearms. LOL. Gun safe is for storing, and a case is for travel.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Love me some tube steaks.

Old 06-09-2013, 5:06 PM

I live by the beach. I've stored for many years at a time with only a light coat of oil and inside one of these http://www.borestores.com/ without any issues. Like what everyone else said, the carry cases are what causes the problem.
Old 06-09-2013, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

i bought a QT of mobil 1 80-90 diff oil, i wipe my rifles down with it every week. i got a little surface rust on my Romanian M-44 using a stack on in my attached garage last summer before i started wiping them with heavy viscosity oil.
Old 06-09-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
^ lol no, It's in my Rifle bag. Like I said, I take care of my guns, But have not clue when they rusted like that. So I want to re-coat it, just in case. Yes, I love frog lube, it works very well. The last time I cleaned my gun, I didn't wipe the exterior of the gun down with it. Thats probably why it rusted this time around.
Not wiping it down with lube after cleaning will contribute. Storing it in a rifle bag is a big no-no. Some of mine even have a label on them that warn against using the bag to store guns. Rifle bags are for transporting your guns, not storage.
Old 06-09-2013, 8:12 PM

Some people have "rusting hands" you are likely one of them . Did you put away your gun holding by the barrel ?
Old 06-09-2013, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you leave it open (no container or case) in the gun safe?
Each one in it's own Bore-Stores, in the safe with a golden rod.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 06-09-2013, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
"Rifle Bag"????

Do you mean you left it in a fabric case... for months?

There's your problem, right there. The fabric draws moisture from the air, and holds it next to the gun's surface.

I learned the hard way too, but I figured I was a lone ignoramus. I believed "It's a gun CASE, that's what they're FOR, right?" Well, NOT right as it appears you have learned also. Get yourself a safe or gun locker. Don't store the gun in a case or "sock".

Sorry this happened to you. Live and learn, right?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
i've long termed guns in bags before and even foam, never an issue as long as they are properly coated in oil.

That is serious rust. Where do you live, a jungle?
Seriously, Ive seen guns stored in range bags and plastic cases with foam liners for years that never had that type of problem...Unless you live in a super humid area, get some silica and keep your guns lubed and you shouldnt have a problem. That barrel looks like it was sitting in a rain gutter for a season

Ive read that frog lube reacts with other oils and causes surface/flash rust.

But seriously, moth balls work wonders...They have anti rust properties. They smell funny but they prevent rust from forming.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 06-09-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Some of the coating on the barrel came off, but i actually like the battle use look.
Damn so much better!!! Im so happy for you

What brand of barrel is that anyways? Do you live in a humid area?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-10-2013, 1:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Sugesstion where and what grade/grit of fine wool?

Bronze wool ... much safer on bluing than steel wool for rust removal
Old 06-10-2013, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I've used Ballistol on my handguns for years...now that I have a M&P 15 I figured to coat it with the same stuff...any advice on that?

The Ballistol has worked fine with my handguns...I just dab some onto a cloth and work it in...would that be a mistake?

I have handguns over 20 years old that still have an immaculate finish on them

I remember when we used to laugh at comedians and listen to politicians...now we laugh at politicians and listen to comedians

Last edited by TeddyBallgame; 06-10-2013 at 6:29 AM..
Old 06-10-2013, 8:21 AM

Take a piece of steel, leave it out in the garage over night, and heat it with a torch. You will be amazed at how much moisture pools to the surface before it evaporates. Wether you can see it or not, moisture condenses on cold surfaces. I pull out my guns once a month and wipe em down with oil. I have never had anything rust.
Old 06-10-2013, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Some folks in here are saying that it is OK to store firearms in cloth or form lined cases. Don't do it. Those people who don't have a problem are just lucky or live in a very arid micro-climate.

Where I live (Sonoma County) if I put a gun in a gun case or gun bag and leave it, it will rust. Period. Anywhere where you allow cloth or foam to remain touching metal, it will rust, guaranteed. It doesn't matter how much oil you soak it with. Sure, maybe it won't where you live, but is it worth the risk? Heck no. And obviously it is a problem where the OP lives.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Some folks in here are saying that it is OK to store firearms in cloth or form lined cases. Don't do it. Those people who don't have a problem are just lucky or live in a very arid micro-climate.

Where I live (Sonoma County) if I put a gun in a gun case or gun bag and leave it, it will rust. Period. Anywhere where you allow cloth or foam to remain touching metal, it will rust, guaranteed. It doesn't matter how much oil you soak it with. Sure, maybe it won't where you live, but is it worth the risk? Heck no. And obviously it is a problem where the OP lives.
I live 6 miles from the beach with %50-%80 humidity on most days...But then again, I keep my guns lubed and use moisture eaters and moth balls..

Old 06-10-2013, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

I never have rust issues but I guess we dont have that issue really in the high desert.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I've been learning alot recently related to use my 870 Express is getting.

All my others guns are pretty much all just safe queens, the 870 gets shot once to twice a week and I noticed it was getting handled and was getting rust while the others never do.

I've learned there are a few reasons for this:

The first, when I handle the other guns I check for lube and before ready to return to safe wipe them down with a gun rag.

The second, the finish of my other guns is much better than the 870 Express which is loaded with pits and microscopic pockets for rust to get into

And third, the 870 almost always requires exterior and interior light lube. I've used Rem-oil (spray), liquid wrench (try it, it's great!) and Break Free. They all work, but you need to play around with quantity to find a happy medium between protection and an oily mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

way better!!
Old 06-10-2013, 4:43 PM

Left my parkerized 1911 in a bag for a couple of days years ago.It got quite a bit of surface rust on it surprised me at the time.

I used some steel wool and oil to clean it up worked well.Never left in bags again for extended times.

As far as home and safe i dont have a dehumidifier i just leave guns in safe without rust problems.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM

Unused diesel engine oil is a good protectant in a situation where you have nothing at hand it has high alkalinity which will protect steel very well.

Most gun oils are repacked hydruilic oil and have minimal rust protection IMHO good gun oils should have an ASTM humidity hours to fail number, but I do not think I have ever seen one that has this but they should.

Thats the only way to know if you are getting any rust protection at all, just saying.
Old 06-11-2013, 8:49 PM

dude- frog lube melts rust off just about anything! Skip the hairdryer and make sure rub it on the metal and rub it until it is so hot that you can't stand it. If it doesn't hurt, you aren't doing it right- not hot enough. Don't worry about burning your hands, the hotter it gets the more it penetrates at a micro level AND as an added bonus, it will soften your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvtactical View Post
FrogLube is non-toxic, biodegradable and smells like mint. It is designed to clean, lubricate and prevent rust without any petrochemicals. FrogLube has a 700 F degree flashpoint, too.

From my experience, with Hoppes and M Pro-7, the smell and runny liquid have always been an issue. FrogLube Paste, stays where you put it. FrogLube liquid has a consistancy similar to dish soap. It is not messy to work with. You can clean your guns with your bare hands.

My 33 year old Colt 1911 slide is smoother than ever, and there is NO OIL in the gun. Same with my Stag AR-15, no oil but better lubricated then before.

I eat FrogLube as part of my demonstration. You can't do that with M Pro-7

I can also use FrogLube to waterproof boots and melt rust off of just about anything.

It does soften skin, too. It can be used as a first aid ointment, and as an added bonus, it crystallizes ants.

More important: "it just works"

I'll be demonstrating and eating FrogLube at the Del Mar Gun Show on Dec 18-19. Look for the banner with the FrogLube & ROK Strap logos.

Our FrogLube kit makes a great stocking stuffer!

I answered -

"12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployable people on food stamps; 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico and 535 fools in the U.S. House and Senate.”

I replied “What... am I missing someone”?

Last edited by Mezcalfud; 06-11-2013 at 8:55 PM..