Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-07-2013, 8:57 AM

Default Briley Choke Installation - Reviews?

Hello. Has anyone ever had Briley install chokes on your guns? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'm thinking to send an O/U to them that currently has fixed chokes - Full and Modified.

Thanks for your time!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Just had mine done. One barrel choke originally mod.

I called to confirm that they could do my model, then we talked about the types of choke inserts, which I settled on skeet, IC, and Mod. The gentleman advised me to go with the steel chokes for $30 extra, which would allow me to shoot steel shot as well as lead in the advent that California outlaws lead shot. With that info he told me to write in my own words what I settled on and send in my barrel with my address and phone# and I would get a call when they were ready to thread. I had also asked that the chokes be marked for lead, as that is what I shoot.

3 Weeks went by and the phone call came in. We confirmed what I had written, and within 2 weeks my barrel came in with the chokes. On inspecting the chokes, they had laser engraved the steel pattern instead of lead, which I had indicated on my letter. I called customer service and got the big honcho, and he apologized and suggested if I could send them back, and he would personally instruct the chokes to be additionally laser engraved with the lead patterns on the opposite side, which they did.

Don't know why the hardened ones are not marked that way for both lead and steel but they are not.

The 3 chokes come in a small plastic case, as well as a wrench. I installed one of the chokes with grease, tightened it, and discovered I could store the wrench in the case but had to trim the length of the handle and the protrusion above the handle. Now it fits perfect as I worried it would get lost. The entire service with hardened chokes(17-4 stainless steel) cost about $240.

Used the skeet choke and shot some skeet last weekend, but alas still cannot hit ****.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!

Last edited by shovelon; 06-07-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
Just had mine done. One barrel choke originally mod.

I called to confirm that they could do my model, then we talked about the types of choke inserts, which I settled on skeet, IC, and Mod. The gentleman advised me to go with the steel chokes for $30 extra, which would allow me to shoot steel shot as well as lead in the advent that California outlaws lead shot. With that info he told me to write in my own words what I settled on and send in my barrel with my address and phone# and I would get a call when they were ready to thread. I had also asked that the chokes be marked for lead, as that is what I shoot.

3 Weeks went by and the phone call came in. We confirmed what I had written, and within 2 weeks my barrel came in with the chokes. On inspecting the chokes, they had laser engraved the steel pattern instead of lead, which I had indicated on my letter. I called customer service and got the big honcho, and he apologized and suggested if I could send them back, and he would personally instruct the chokes to be additionally laser engraved with the lead patterns on the opposite side, which they did.

Don't know why the hardened ones are not marked that way for both lead and steel but they are not.

The 3 chokes come in a small plastic case, as well as a wrench. I installed one of the chokes with grease, tightened it, and discovered I could store the wrench in the case but had to trim the length of the handle and the protrusion above the handle. Now it fits perfect as I worried it would get lost. The entire service with hardened chokes(17-4 stainless steel) cost about $240.

Used the skeet choke and shot some skeet last weekend, but alas still cannot hit ****.
Thanks for the review, Shovelon.

I don't understand - why would you want to engrave your chokes with "lead" when they're rated for steel shot? I'm assuming if chokes are rated for steel, then shooting lead would be a no-brainer OK. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

When you stated engraved "steel" and "lead" patterns, are these the words "steel" and "lead", or are they symbols or markings that stand for "steel" and "lead"?

Thanks again! Looking forward to sending my barrels to them.
Old 06-10-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ika-kun View Post
Thanks for the review, Shovelon.

I don't understand - why would you want to engrave your chokes with "lead" when they're rated for steel shot? I'm assuming if chokes are rated for steel, then shooting lead would be a no-brainer OK. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

When you stated engraved "steel" and "lead" patterns, are these the words "steel" and "lead", or are they symbols or markings that stand for "steel" and "lead"?

Thanks again! Looking forward to sending my barrels to them.
The lead rated chokes can handle lead only and will self destruct otherwise.

The hardenened chokes can handle lead and steel/tungsten shot. But the patterns are different. Since I shoot lead, I wanted the lead pattern lasered on the choke. They messed up and laser engraved the steel pattern on it. The markings are just letters, "LEAD-SKEET" STEEL-IC"

Sooooo I called them up and they pulled the order and confirmed the mistake and agreed to add the lead pattern on it for no charge. Now I don't have to do the conversion. Same choke, different patterns.

From what I gather both style chokes are the same, but for an extra expense they harden them to handle steel/tungsten. I am sure there is more to it than that, but it was confirmed to be the same material.

Anyway I have a great set of chokes marked for both lead in one pattern and steel/tungsten for the other. The guy that took my order said that it is just a matter of time before California bans lead altogether so he recommended I upgrade right off. $10 extra for the hardening per choke seemed like a bargain.

Last edited by shovelon; 06-10-2013 at 8:55 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 7:07 AM

I have an Ithaca model 51 that had a 30" full barrel. I had Briley cut it to 28 and threaded for chokes. They do excellent work, and it made the shotgun much more useful.
Old 06-12-2013, 5:59 AM

My experience with Briley was wonderful. Their customer service was excellent and I love my chokes.
Old 06-12-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
From what I gather both style chokes are the same, but for an extra expense they harden them to handle steel/tungsten. I am sure there is more to it than that, but it was confirmed to be the same material.

Anyway I have a great set of chokes marked for both lead in one pattern and steel/tungsten for the other. The guy that took my order said that it is just a matter of time before California bans lead altogether so he recommended I upgrade right off. $10 extra for the hardening per choke seemed like a bargain.
Ah, so the chokes will pattern differently, even if you're shooting lead out of them both? In other words, lead through the "standard" choke will pattern differently than lead through the "hardened" choke, everything else being equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I have an Ithaca model 51 that had a 30" full barrel. I had Briley cut it to 28 and threaded for chokes. They do excellent work, and it made the shotgun much more useful.
Was it necessary to cut it to 28" to choke it? Or did you just want a shorter barrel? I've got a 28" O/U that I want choked, but I don't want to shorten the barrels...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ah, so the chokes will pattern differently, even if you're shooting lead out of them both? In other words, lead through the "standard" choke will pattern differently than lead through the "hardened" choke, everything else being equal?

Was it necessary to cut it to 28" to choke it? Or did you just want a shorter barrel? I've got a 28" O/U that I want choked, but I don't want to shorten the barrels...
It is typically not necessary to cut a barrel before installing chokes. The only circumstance where it would be required would be if your barrel didn't meet the minimum thickness requirement to drill and tap for chokes. Then a gunsmith may cut the barrel down to a thicker portion of the barrel taper to do the ream and tap.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
It is typically not necessary to cut a barrel before installing chokes. The only circumstance where it would be required would be if your barrel didn't meet the minimum thickness requirement to drill and tap for chokes. Then a gunsmith may cut the barrel down to a thicker portion of the barrel taper to do the ream and tap.
Good to know. Thank you! The last thing I want is a shorter barrel.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
No, The chokes are made the same. Only they harden them to handle steel. That is what I reckon the guy told me.

So my hardened IC pattern choke for steel shoots a skeet pattern with lead. Follow me?

My hardened modified pattern choke for steel shoots an IC pattern with lead.

My hardened full pattern choke for steel shoots a mod pattern with lead.

I will try to get some photos with the laser engraving tonight for you.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

A Mod choke for lead, is a Full choke for steel.
On some fixed Full choke guns, there isn't enough barrel wall left when the end of the barrel is reamed out for screw in tubes. The barrel is cut back behind the choke constriction to where the barrel has more meat. Most O/U's won't need this done. Briley pioneered and specializes in thin wall choke tubes for SxS and O/U guns that might have this problem.
Jess Briley is a close personally friend and huntin buddy with my BIL. He did a barrel for my BIL that he later gave to me for my S&W 1000. First time I could consistently bust 25/25 with that gun!
I had the pleasure of meeting Jess at the Vegas Shot Show shortly after that. We had a long conversation about everything that makes a scattergun shoot it's best. To say the very least, I was impressed with his knowledge, and his commitment that the work done there, is the best you can find.
You can get tubes installed cheaper somewhere else, but chances are pretty slim you'll get better results for your money.
I recommended Briley before I used his tubes and I met him, now I don't recommend anyone else.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
No, The chokes are made the same. Only they harden them to handle steel. That is what I reckon the guy told me.

So my hardened IC pattern choke for steel shoots a skeet pattern with lead. Follow me?

My hardened modified pattern choke for steel shoots an IC pattern with lead.

My hardened full pattern choke for steel shoots a mod pattern with lead.

I will try to get some photos with the laser engraving tonight for you.
Got it! Makes a lot of sense now. Thank you for pulling out the whiteboard for that one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the engraving!
Old 06-13-2013, 8:50 AM

Here is a pic of one of them for reference.

Old 06-13-2013, 9:13 AM

That's a great idea, Shovelon!

$10/choke extra for steel. How much was the engraving, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-13-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
That's a great idea, Shovelon!

$10/choke extra for steel. How much was the engraving, if you don't mind me asking?
Briley sends them engraved, but since they put the wrong pattern on they added the second pattern for free. Honestly I don't know why they just don't put both patterns on the hardened chokes to begin with.

Anyway if I had to do it again, I will ask for both patterns to avoid conversion confusion.