Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-06-2013, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Advantage Arms Conversion kit for Springfield XD's

I ordered one yesterday should be here tomorrow. Hope it works better than the Kimber kit I tried on my Rock Island Armory Tactical, we'll see.

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=
Old 06-06-2013, 8:41 PM

Is this a. 22lr conversation kit? Let us now how it goes. My kimber conversation kit sucks. I need to use cci mini mags to reduce ftf or fte.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:22 PM

If it works as well as my glock kit, it'll be a winner...
Old 06-06-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Wow! Never saw this before... Let us know if you go that route.. Thanks either way for the link!!
Old 06-07-2013, 5:40 AM

Wow, thanks for the link! I've been wondering for years when someone would finally produce one of these. Range report when you get it?
Old 06-07-2013, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 06-07-2013, 5:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I've seen some of these at the range. Some worked well and some had feeding issues.

I am of the opinion that for 300+ beans just to purchase a dedicated .22 pistol.

I had a neat .22 conversion kit for my 1911. (made by Colt). It ran almost perfect but didn't like lead bullets. Only plated. It was manufactured in the 1970s.

Either way, give us a serious range report.!

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-07-2013, 6:22 AM

Holding my breath for an XDM fit version...
Old 06-07-2013, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Is this a. 22lr conversation kit? Let us now how it goes. My kimber conversation kit sucks. I need to use cci mini mags to reduce ftf or fte.
Yep it's a 22lr kit and it fits these XD "Calipers 9mm, 40sw, 357sig, and 45gap." I'm almost certain they meant "Calibers" though.
Quick shipping, got it today, has adjustable sights, and went on my XD9 like it was meant to be there! Unlike my Kimber experience, thank goodness Midway has a great refund policy! They do recommend CCI Mini mags 40gr high velocity but no Hypervelocity rounds and there is a list of non recommend brands as well. Last round hold open so you don't have to count and dry firing is NOT recommended either. I'll see about getting the photos up and I may get to shoot it Monday.

PHOTOS ADDED

Installed on my XD9

Last edited by aghauler; 06-07-2013 at 2:26 PM.. Reason: ADD PHOTOS
Old 06-07-2013, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I've seen some of these at the range. Some worked well and some had feeding issues.

I am of the opinion that for 300+ beans just to purchase a dedicated .22 pistol.

I had a neat .22 conversion kit for my 1911. (made by Colt). It ran almost perfect but didn't like lead bullets. Only plated. It was manufactured in the 1970s.

I had really thought long and hard about adding another pistol to the stable. I also thought a kit would fit my needs if it worked (we'll see). Plus, no DROS FEEs, No FFL fees ($75 here) or 10 day wait, etc. So I'm hoping this kit works as anticipated, it certainly fit ALOT better than the Kimber Kit I tried on my RIA Tactical, I was very disappointed with that effort. So the pistol is packed and ready to go if Mondays plans hold. I've got the Mini Mags, some of that German 40 grain stuff from Graf & Sons, and some misc rounds to try out for function.
Old 06-10-2013, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ok here is the "mini" range report. I just wanted to see if this kit actually worked and I knew time would be short (alot shorter than anticipated), I only took one of those reactive orange squares targets with me.

Function flawlessly with CCI Mini Mag 40 gr, the 40 gr SK stuff from Graff and Son made by Lapua. So I tried 36 gr hollow points from American Eagle. One failure to fire out of 50 rds. I reloaded that cartridge and it fired just fine. The orange thingie was bouncing around so I know I was hitting it or at least scaring it.

Next time out I'll take my table, and targets.

Knowing what I know now would I buy one of these kits, yes I would. I'm very happy with it so far and I saved on DROS, Dealer FEEs and no 10 day wait.

Added: The last dealer quote for a SR22 I had from the local FFL was $456.
Range time was shorter than anticipated due to the lightening strikes getting within a half mile.

Last edited by aghauler; 06-10-2013 at 7:36 PM.. Reason: info
Old 06-10-2013, 5:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the report!
Old 06-10-2013, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post

With your kimber kit, try turning the recoil spring around. They are designed to be used one way only.
Old 06-10-2013, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post

I am of the opinion that if you buy the dedicated pistol but really want the kit for your favorite gun, you end up always wanting the kit and therefore your never really satisfied. Just buy the kit!
Old 06-10-2013, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
With your kimber kit, try turning the recoil spring around. They are designed to be used one way only.
Spring wasn't the issue, with the take down lever installed IF you actually GOT through to the other side of the frame the slide would not move, with the take down lever out of the bbl block the slide moved freely. I decided I wasn't going to mess with it and ruin the opportunity for a refund. It was sent back to Midway for refund sometime ago. This Advantange Arms kit fulfills my needs/wants for a 22 semiauto pistol.

Sorry Smitty, I just realized you were advising another Forum member not relating to my Kimber kit issues. Duh!

Last edited by aghauler; 06-10-2013 at 7:54 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am of the opinion that if you buy the dedicated pistol but really want the kit for your favorite gun, you end up always wanting the kit and therefore your never really satisfied. Just buy the kit!
I agree, now that I have this kit I'd don't even want one for my RIA 1911. BUT someday I may try a Advantage Arms kit for it. However that has gone to below the bottom of my priority list while the purchase a few more AA 22lr Mags has shot to the top of the list!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
I agree, now that I have this kit I'd don't even want one for my RIA 1911. BUT someday I may try a Advantage Arms kit for it. However that has gone to below the bottom of my priority list while the purchase a few more AA 22lr Mags has shot to the top of the list!
I have several 22 conversion kits for various guns and I even have an alloy frame 1911 that is a dedicated 22 with the kimber kit. I like all of them much better than any of the common 22 pistols. My favorite is the kimber kit on the alloy frame, it's my perfect 22 pistol!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM

I think I may buy the kit!

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device. ΜΟ;;ΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ;
Old 06-11-2013, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

I would love a 22 conversion unit for the HK P2000 or for the Browning Hi Power---I know Ceiner makes one for the P35, but reports are largely negitive. I wish HK would just make a 22 pistol on the P2000 frame---would cost a lot, but I'm willing to pay...
Old 06-11-2013, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have several 22 conversion kits for various guns and I even have an alloy frame 1911 that is a dedicated 22 with the kimber kit. I like all of them much better than any of the common 22 pistols. My favorite is the kimber kit on the alloy frame, it's my perfect 22 pistol!
I had wished the Kimber would have been my "perfect fit" for a 22 conversion.
Had it been I never would have looked at the AA kit. BUT something musta been guiding me there and it's worked out well, so far, fer me.
Old 06-11-2013, 2:26 PM
Calguns is my Facebook!
CGN Contributor

aghauler - is your XD stock or did you mod the trigger? I have the PRP drop in kit and the AA site says

"COMPATIBILITY OF OUR XD CONVERSION KITS
Our XD Conversion Kits are made to work on FACTORY STOCK XD frames.
Note: Aftermarket parts such as trigger bars or trigger jobs can adversely affect the function and reliability of your conversion kit"

Wonder if should wait a bit and see the reviews come in. I already have dedicated 22 pistols but a kit might be cool if it works with my trigger.

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 06-11-2013, 6:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegtalon View Post
aghauler - is your XD stock or did you mod the trigger? I have the PRP drop in kit and the AA site says

"COMPATIBILITY OF OUR XD CONVERSION KITS
Our XD Conversion Kits are made to work on FACTORY STOCK XD frames.
Note: Aftermarket parts such as trigger bars or trigger jobs can adversely affect the function and reliability of your conversion kit"

Wonder if should wait a bit and see the reviews come in. I already have dedicated 22 pistols but a kit might be cool if it works with my trigger.
XD is "stock" all the way no mods of any kind. I'd like to see more indepth reviews than mine soon I hope but these just started selling June 1st I think.
Got 2 more mags coming USPS Priority tomorrow, 2 day shipping for the kit or the mags. Kit only via UPS the mags will come through the USPS.
Old 06-12-2013, 1:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A further ammo report:

Had a few minutes today to test some more ammo:

Winchester 36gr 1280 fps hollow point functioned fine

Remington 36 gr 1280fps Golden Bullet hollow point functioned fine

WESTERN 1220 fps 36gr hollow point by Olin-Winchester NO GOOD! To many failure to feed, will fire and eject though once it's chambered. Apparently according to a note I wrote on the box my Buckmark won't feed these either. So they'll be reserved for the revolvers and bolt actions. The bullet is a little different shape than the others so I'm guessing that is the issue. The liturature that came with the kit mentioned ANY Winchester ammo as NOT recommended but I had to see for myself.

Last edited by aghauler; 06-12-2013 at 1:40 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 06-12-2013, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Your follow up is most appreciated aghauler!
Old 06-12-2013, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURVIVOR619 View Post
Your follow up is most appreciated aghauler!
If I find any more random brands, I think I have some 20+ year old stuff buried in the garage, I'll try that out and report.

Hopefully others will chime in soon also.
Old 07-07-2013, 2:47 PM

I am interested in this conversion and have come across a used one and a new one in the past 2 weeks. I tried to research as much as possible, but can't find any prices. What did you pay for yours and do you know what used should go for?
Can't wait to get it and practice all day for a few bucks. Then I can add to the range reports as a comparison for everyone.
Old 07-07-2013, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhaxor_3 View Post
I am interested in this conversion and have come across a used one and a new one in the past 2 weeks. I tried to research as much as possible, but can't find any prices. What did you pay for yours and do you know what used should go for?
Can't wait to get it and practice all day for a few bucks. Then I can add to the range reports as a comparison for everyone.
Price direct from Advantage Arms (google for website) for a new one was $285+ S&H + Tax total was around $315 I think. I have no idea what a used one goes for, there aren't too many out there yet I think. This one works so well I will be getting one for my Rock Island 1911A1 Tactical.

Glock conversion kts have to be ordered through a dealer.
Old 07-07-2013, 3:17 PM
40 ounce sipper
CGN Contributor

Looks great! I regret selling my xd9 now so triste
Old 07-07-2013, 3:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_mike View Post
Looks great! I regret selling my xd9 now so triste
I like it so much right now I'm just leaving the XD9 in the 22 lr configuration. Sits right next to my boat anchor Ruger P89 stainless so I've got a 9mm ready to go anyway.
Old 07-07-2013, 3:58 PM
40 ounce sipper
CGN Contributor

Congrats op glad you had success on the upper. I rember when they first gauged interest in xd talk like man 2 years ago?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM

My glock conversion works just Fine. Even with cheap bulk ammo. Maybe you should tarde you xd for a glock. Lol.
If it cant shoot cheap bulk ammo What is The point. Buying a Box of CCI 22lr is Almost as much as 9mm.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_mike View Post
Congrats op glad you had success on the upper. I rember when they first gauged interest in xd talk like man 2 years ago?
I had to go to Carson City this AM for an appointment so I took the XD and a Sentinal along for shooting afterwards. Got ot the range was packed and it was getting hot so I just drove home.
I might try again this week but you have to be there before 0630- 0700 to beat the locals.