Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-04-2013, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Default VX-II VS. Vari-X II

Whats the differance between the
VX-II 3-9x40 compared to the Vari-X II 3-9x40 ?

Last edited by hylander; 07-30-2013 at 8:07 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 6:51 AM

Not sure there is?
Old 06-05-2013, 7:56 AM

VX scopes are newer and have the same coating on their lenses as the Vari-x 3 models. I own both and can't tell the difference.
Old 06-05-2013, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Trapper has it correct. There is also a difference in the adjustment in some models. The Vari-X models are no longer made but still are good.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

This doesn't sound quite right, but I guess it depends on which VX (III or 3) the OP is asking about.

If memory servers me, the Vari-X III were made years ago (I owned a couple back in the 90's), since then Leupold's come out with the VX-III and currently the VX3. There's quite a difference in glass and coatings between the Vari-X III and newest VX3.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

right, which is consistent with what trapper said. The old Vari-X-III is supposed to have the same coatings as the new VX-2. Frankly, the old Vari-X-II is also very good, and an outstanding value on the used market. So much so IMO that I had a CDS dial put on mine, rather than buy a new VX-2
Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
right, which is consistent with what trapper said. The old Vari-X-III is supposed to have the same coatings as the new VX-2. Frankly, the old Vari-X-II is also very good, and an outstanding value on the used market. So much so IMO that I had a CDS dial put on mine, rather than buy a new VX-2
Again, this thread is confusing. I may be misreading it but it appeared the OP never said which Vari-X (II or III) or which VX model (II, III, 2 or 3) he was asking about. This could mean several answers.

As for which 2 series received an upgrade to the old Vari-X III technology I'm thinking it was probably the VX-II not VX-2. The VX-2 has indexed matched lens coatings which were not available when the Vari-X (I, II, or III) were available.

http://www.leupold.com/about-us/100-...upold-history/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/

By the way I had a VX-II in 4-12x40 for awhile and I thought it was a fine scope and very good power range choice for where we hunt.

Last edited by zio707; 06-09-2013 at 5:08 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

I am particularly thinking the
VX-II 3-9x40 compared to the Vari-X II 3-9x40

Last edited by hylander; 07-30-2013 at 8:06 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

VX-II is supposed to have better glass. Vari-XII is supposed to have the glass now used in VX-I scopes.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my Vari-XII 3x9x40 for anything. It's clear and in amazing condition. So much so I sent it back to the factory and had a CDS dial installed. no issues shooting out to 700 yards at SLOSA with the barnes bullets and one sighter on the man sized targets and a simple hunting rifle.
Old 07-30-2013, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
VX-II is supposed to have better glass. Vari-XII is supposed to have the glass now used in VX-I scopes.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my Vari-XII 3x9x40 for anything. It's clear and in amazing condition. So much so I sent it back to the factory and had a CDS dial installed. no issues shooting out to 700 yards at SLOSA with the barnes bullets and one sighter on the man sized targets and a simple hunting rifle.
I just read that the Vari-X has friction dials and the VX has click adjustments ?
What is the CDS dial ?
Old 07-30-2013, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

oh yes, that too. My Vari-X II has friction dials (I actually prefer it), the VX is supposed to have click adjustments.

CDS is basically an adjustable turret. No removing the cap and finding a coin. But low profile. Good for a scope that will be used for hunting, no crazy abortions sticking out of the turrets.

Reminds me again, the Vari-X II will adjust 12 MOA per revolution, the VX-II I am pretty sure (but not positive) is 15 MOA per revolution. When I got the CDS put in I "got upgraded" to the VX-2 adjustment system.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
oh yes, that too. My Vari-X II has friction dials (I actually prefer it), the VX is supposed to have click adjustments.

CDS is basically an adjustable turret. No removing the cap and finding a coin. But low profile. Good for a scope that will be used for hunting, no crazy abortions sticking out of the turrets.

Reminds me again, the Vari-X II will adjust 12 MOA per revolution, the VX-II I am pretty sure (but not positive) is 15 MOA per revolution. When I got the CDS put in I "got upgraded" to the VX-2 adjustment system.
So you now have click adjustments ?
What did this run you and what was the turn around time
Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Calguns Addict

for elevation I have clicks, but I didn't have them put in a CDS on the windage, just elevation. So for windage, I still have the friction dial, which is fine.

Last time I needed windage was at SLOSA with a 15mph cross, and I had plenty of time to pull the cap and find a coin. Though maybe in the future I may want a CDS there too with a zero stop on rotation i'd be good to 1000 yards in a 10mph wind or 700 yards in a 15.

Anyways, cost was in the $60-90 range, and the turnaround was a couple weeks or so. good money spent.

Keep in mind I was already thrilled with my scope's performance and quality. Not like I was starting out with a Vari-XII that had been beat up, was dying, had scratches, coatings coming of, etc. No, this thing was and still is cherry.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 PM

This thread is making me all warm and fuzzy since I just bought a Vari-XII for $40
Old 08-01-2013, 1:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
This thread is making me all warm and fuzzy since I just bought a Vari-XII for $40
Score!
Old 08-01-2013, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

people see that they have "vxi" glass then assume they are vxi quality. They don't realize what it's worth (or are just charging market prices to get it gone.)

go hunting in the snow sometime and you'll really see what that is worth. You scored.