Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
What happens next
Assembly votes on them. Do not go to governor until they pass out of assembly That email is wrong (which is the topic of the last few pages of posts in this thread).

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM

When does the Assembly vote on SB47?
Old 06-04-2013, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
When does the Assembly vote on SB47?
http://legiscan.com/gaits/search?state=CA&bill=SB47
Old 06-04-2013, 2:30 PM

The number of signatures required TO QUALIFY A PARTICULAR RECALL IS AS FOLLOWS: 1. If an officer of a city, county, school district, county board of education, or resident voting district is sought to be recalled, the number of signatures must be equal in number to not less than the following percent of registered voters in the electoral jurisdiction: (a) Thirty percent if the registration is less than 1,000. (b) Twenty-five percent if the registration is less than 10,000 but at least 1,000. (c) Twenty percent if the registration is less than 50,000 but at least 10,000. (d) Fifteen percent if the registration is less than 100,000 but at least 50,000. (e) Ten percent if the registration is 100,000 or above I am willing to go door to door and ask for signatures to recall senator de leon since he is in my district, but I don't know much about having someone recalled so anyone that is really trying to do something I am more than willing to receive your help

Last edited by perezjc2006; 06-04-2013 at 2:43 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 6:50 PM

I know this isn't going to be taken well here, but I don't mind the last two pieces of legislation. Post panic, I didn't go to the range for weeks because of how many idiots were shooting for a first time and breaking all the rules. I was really worried I was going to get accidentally shot. I think a safety class is acceptable (with exemptions for military, LEO, or some other group I'm missing) to push prior to owning a firearm. The brief safety demonstration I think is lame. My only concern would be the cost of the class. For the last one, I realize the 2nd amendment is a right but I think we can all agree not everyone should own a gun. I don't want a known crack head to own a gun or an alcoholic to be at the range shooting. That worries me. I'm sure I'll get hated for this but those last two bills, I may not vote for them if I had the power but I wouldn't be upset if I saw them pass. I will say my biggest concern would be the slippery slope.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM

So many of my fellow firearms owners do not understand California Politics as they are today. It is up to the courts now, Brown has said he will sign all the bills passed by the Senate. He praised them. Whoever thinks Moonbeam isn't going to sign these bills is sadly mistaken. The Assembly is a shoe-in too. We need to fund the 2nd amendment foundation for the fight ahead.

I am happy to report my Democratic State Senator, Galgiani, voted "NO" on all these anti-firearm bills. In addition, Republican State Senator Cannella, also from the Central Valley, voted "NO" on all these bills. I just wish all these liberal districts would leave us out of their dreamed up Utopia's. But enough of this, I have many semi-auto rifles to purchase before December 31st.

Last edited by fireguymfd; 06-05-2013 at 6:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguymfd View Post
So many of my fellow firearms owners do not understand California Politics as they are today. It is up to the courts now, Brown has said he will sign all the bills passed by the Senate. He praised them. Whoever thinks Moonbeam isn't going to sign these bills is sadly mistaken.
Source?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Stuff like this makes me sick...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 AM

So frustrated.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I hope you're right with those predictions.
Me too

-Sheriff Bud Boomer-
Old 06-05-2013, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness68 View Post
All this is saddening. Asked the Mrs. this week, so, which state do you want to move too. Both of us are CA born and raised. Beautiful State... f'd up politicians and media!

We need to split the state!!! East and West (aka Blue and Red) Why can't the CAGOP sponsor propositions like that? How how about a proposition about 2A? Or How about a proposition to change our electoral college, so my fricken vote is represented? Is it 100,000 signatures to get a proposition on the ballot? I'll stand infront of Safeway and collect signatures. Where do I sign up to do that?

Instead our CAGOP sucks ballz. Have you seen their FB page? https://www.facebook.com/CARepublicanParty look at the depressed people in the banner picture. No wonder we can't attract voters!

:frustrated!!!:
North Korea just needs to nuke Sacramento and LA, and this states problems will be solved!
Old 06-05-2013, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Brown has said he will sign all the bills passed by the Senate.
Cite?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-05-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21Shooter View Post
North Korea just needs to nuke Sacramento and LA, and this states problems will be solved!
Screw that, I live in Sac (well, just south). I don't want a nuke in my backyard.

Now, if you said, LA and Berkeley, that's some thing I'd be ok with. LOL J/K.. sorta.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM

I've written, called, faxed, e-mailed and donated all the money I can afford. And still we lose. I fully expect the assembly to vote yes on all of these and that moonbeam will sign them. Even of he doesn't, the libs have a veto proof majority. I don't have the $$$ to hire the lawyers needed to fight this, but I'll join a lawsuit as a plaintiff. Who is going to sue, CALGUNS or the NRA? Someone had better, or I won't be donating anymore- I'll just buy the rifles I want before January 2014 and wait until my grandson is old enough to fly on a plane alone so he can come visit me in my new home- which is potentially any state that has a more gun friendly atmosphere. Too bad, I was born here and I feel like I'm giving up.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock7 View Post
i don't know what %, but from what i was reading in this forum prior to the 2012 elections, there would be a significant amount of Californians who voted Democrat. why one member even challenged me and said "what has obama done to curtail my gun rights?"
unfortunately it was a lot more than one person
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I rememember when Moonbeam came up for election as Govenor. Some on this board cited his staunch support of 'gun rights', his support of the 2nd Amendment and his one little brief. Question folks, how's this working out for you now? Brown is trying to secure his 'legacy'. Well that Legacy of failure is very secure IMHO.
Old 06-07-2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
All this is saddening. Asked the Mrs. this week, so, which state do you want to move too. Both of us are CA born and raised. Beautiful State... f'd up politicians and media!

We need to split the state!!! East and West (aka Blue and Red) Why can't the CAGOP sponsor propositions like that? How how about a proposition about 2A? Or How about a proposition to change our electoral college, so my fricken vote is represented? Is it 100,000 signatures to get a proposition on the ballot? I'll stand infront of Safeway and collect signatures. Where do I sign up to do that?

Instead our CAGOP sucks ballz. Have you seen their FB page? https://www.facebook.com/CARepublicanParty look at the depressed people in the banner picture. No wonder we can't attract voters!

:frustrated!!!:
Heh, splitting the state, as far as ideaologies are concerned would be a great idea. We would get to still have the awesome scenery, weather and diversity but without the stupid laws.
Old 06-08-2013, 6:20 AM
Veteran Member

God be with us...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 AM

I feel like I'm going to be forced to move out of California. How depressing, the most beautiful state run by the most illogical lunatics.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaker8390 View Post
I feel like I'm going to be forced to move out of California. How depressing, the most beautiful state run by the most illogical lunatics.
Well put, but you may be insulting the run of the mill lunatics by using the word to describe our legislators.

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 06-08-2013, 3:57 PM

SB47, SB374, and SB53 are guaranteed to be signed into law now.

Old 06-08-2013, 8:24 PM

I'm not slamming you for thoughts, but I do want to mention some possible scenarios where the state can label you an alcoholic under SB 755 and take your gun rights. It isn't clear to me how far back the state can go to find two crimes in three years where a person was intoxicated, nor is it clear to me how long a person would remain prohibited.

A. Get a DUI with a gun in your glove box without a permit. Done.

B. Solicit a prostitute while drunk in public. Done.

C. Toilet paper a house while drunk and get nailed for trespass and vandalism. Done.

I could go on, but you get the idea. What if someone was once a problem drinker, but has been clean and going to AA for 20 years? One bad night now potentially makes someone a prohibited alcoholic, if this passes. To me, this is only systematically stripping people of their rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsguy87 View Post
I know this isn't going to be taken well here, but I don't mind the last two pieces of legislation. Post panic, I didn't go to the range for weeks because of how many idiots were shooting for a first time and breaking all the rules. I was really worried I was going to get accidentally shot. I think a safety class is acceptable (with exemptions for military, LEO, or some other group I'm missing) to push prior to owning a firearm. The brief safety demonstration I think is lame. My only concern would be the cost of the class. For the last one, I realize the 2nd amendment is a right but I think we can all agree not everyone should own a gun. I don't want a known crack head to own a gun or an alcoholic to be at the range shooting. That worries me. I'm sure I'll get hated for this but those last two bills, I may not vote for them if I had the power but I wouldn't be upset if I saw them pass. I will say my biggest concern would be the slippery slope.
Old 06-08-2013, 9:36 PM

With California having so many legislators, how many of them are nearing the end of their careers vs. just up for re-election? The reason I ask is those that are at their career end have nothing to lose, they can be the swing vote. The legislators that have a lot of career life in them will vote as their party line dictates or end up committing political suicide from lack of party support and re-election funding. From a cursory look the majority of legislators still have a good amount of career life in them, so I see them voting on all of the new laws.
The reality of it is is that we are still in a recession and when times are bad the liberals will always get their way. The other reality is any bill passed under the guise of revenue earned to battle firearm related crimes will go straight into the general fund, just like our gas and road taxes.
I guess it is time to talk to a lawyer and see about setting up a trust ( maybe that way I can hand down my heirlooms to my children that way)
Old 06-08-2013, 9:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpreusser View Post
I'm not slamming you for thoughts, but I do want to mention some possible scenarios where the state can label you an alcoholic under SB 755 and take your gun rights. It isn't clear to me how far back the state can go to find two crimes in three years where a person was intoxicated, nor is it clear to me how long a person would remain prohibited.

A. Get a DUI with a gun in your glove box without a permit. Done.

B. Solicit a prostitute while drunk in public. Done.

C. Toilet paper a house while drunk and get nailed for trespass and vandalism. Done.

I could go on, but you get the idea. What if someone was once a problem drinker, but has been clean and going to AA for 20 years? One bad night now potentially makes someone a prohibited alcoholic, if this passes. To me, this is only systematically stripping people of their rights.
I suspect that is just the tip of the iceberg. I would not be surprised if huge numbers of arrests were intentionally made for trivial things with full knowledge the District Attorney wouldn't bring the case to trial. It might even be citations instead of handcuffs and people would willingly plea bargain thinking it was nothing. Later they would find out that they were now disqualified from owning firearms. Yeah I'm paranoid but look at the outrageous gun grabbing moves that have already been made.

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
I would not be surprised if huge numbers of arrests were intentionally made for trivial things with full knowledge the District Attorney wouldn't bring the case to trial.
Street cops and their supervisors would have to along with that idea, full well knowing the ultimate intention, and as scared as I am of CA, I don't think that would happen.

Something else I find scary is the idea, one day, arrests and not convictions, will start to count. There is already some judgement going on only on arrest basis. Being arrested, convicted or not, casts a negative light. Think CCW in relaxed counties where the sheriff has discretion and the records.

From what I've read, it seems the state can't find the disposition of some arrests and a ten day wait can run a long time waiting for the state to figure it out.
Old 06-09-2013, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So many of my fellow firearms owners do not understand California Politics as they are today. It is up to the courts now, Brown has said he will sign all the bills passed by the Senate. He praised them. Whoever thinks Moonbeam isn't going to sign these bills is sadly mistaken. The Assembly is a shoe-in too. We need to fund the 2nd amendment foundation for the fight ahead.

I am happy to report my Democratic State Senator, Galgiani, voted "NO" on all these anti-firearm bills. In addition, Republican State Senator Cannella, also from the Central Valley, voted "NO" on all these bills. I just wish all these liberal districts would leave us out of their dreamed up Utopia's. But enough of this, I have many semi-auto rifles to purchase before December 31st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher L View Post
Source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Cite?
Well man? Show me where he said that.....
Old 06-09-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
if he vetoes the bills that are worming their way through the legislative process then I will think otherwise. until then I don't trust him at all.
Veto the bill?? No way..He will sign into law what ever gives him a political advantage. Vetoing any gun control bill would be committing political suicide. He could give a crap less about the semi-auto guns he has on his ranch or the old gun that was his fathers. One thing to keep in mind is that these laws would only apply to us, not him or any other politician. Politicians don't care about anything but self promotion and power, if they "save a few lives" along the way then that's an added bonus. Do you think for a minute that anyone would mess with him if he was carrying or shooting a banned gun on his ranch?? I don't think so.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 06-09-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
I suspect that is just the tip of the iceberg. I would not be surprised if huge numbers of arrests were intentionally made for trivial things with full knowledge the District Attorney wouldn't bring the case to trial. It might even be citations instead of handcuffs and people would willingly plea bargain thinking it was nothing. Later they would find out that they were now disqualified from owning firearms. Yeah I'm paranoid but look at the outrageous gun grabbing moves that have already been made.
I could see that in cities with extremely anti-gun law enforcement officials in charge. Like, zero-tolerance, arrest everybody sort of policies just to get peoples' names in the ledger type of thing. However I doubt it would happen on any large scale.

However I do get a kick out of the people saying that cops "won't enforce" these hypothetical laws. Plenty of cops line up to give people tickets for 6mph over, gleefully arrest your kid for having allergy pills in his pocket (and argue that they thought they were Xtacy or whatever) you think they aren't going to enforce a new AWB? Bet your *** they will.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
Veto the bill?? No way..He will sign into law what ever gives him a political advantage.
I don't know about that but I do think it is perfectly plausible for him to sign a new 'AWB'. After all it's just "...closing a loophole" as the antigunners put it.
Old 06-09-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
Veto the bill?? No way..He will sign into law what ever gives him a political advantage. Vetoing any gun control bill would be committing political suicide.
He vetoed some of the gun control bills last session. Take a look at his veto statements. He isn't a rubber stamp, and he vetoes a fair number of Democrat-supported bills.
Old 06-09-2013, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Screw that, I live in Sac (well, just south). I don't want a nuke in my backyard.

Now, if you said, LA and Berkeley, that's some thing I'd be ok with. LOL J/K.. sorta.
Hey, man, I live in Berkeley! The people here may be seriously ignorant about guns, but they aren't evil. They're just afraid of things they don't understand (like a lot of people are).
Old 06-09-2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
SB47, SB374, and SB53 are guaranteed to be signed into law now.
Is that a Colt New Army? Odd that he'd be using an "old west" gun.

Does anyone know if his rifle was an RAW? I'm really curious if he obtained it legally, given how many "high capacity" mags are shown in the picture below. Some of them look pretty new to me. If he obtained all of these outside of California Law (as I suspect he did), it might be a decent argument for how ineffective and pointless the AWB and related legislation are.

Old 06-09-2013, 4:04 PM
CGN Contributor

It's odd in that they have a box for a rifle and that they left the handgun loaded.
Old 06-10-2013, 3:55 PM

SB567's danger is not just a Taurus or Rossi revolver, but that it classifies as a shotgun any handgun for which shot ammo exists in that caliber, revolver or pistol.
Old 06-12-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
It's odd in that they have a box for a rifle and that they left the handgun loaded.
I noticed that. If it's a non-converted New Army, though, they may have just removed the percussion caps.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
With California having so many legislators, how many of them are nearing the end of their careers vs. just up for re-election? The reason I ask is those that are at their career end have nothing to lose, they can be the swing vote. The legislators that have a lot of career life in them will vote as their party line dictates or end up committing political suicide from lack of party support and re-election funding. From a cursory look the majority of legislators still have a good amount of career life in them, so I see them voting on all of the new laws.
The reality of it is is that we are still in a recession and when times are bad the liberals will always get their way. The other reality is any bill passed under the guise of revenue earned to battle firearm related crimes will go straight into the general fund, just like our gas and road taxes.
I guess it is time to talk to a lawyer and see about setting up a trust ( maybe that way I can hand down my heirlooms to my children that way)
This is part of the problem with term limits. Everyone just sees the “corrupt people can't stay forever" part. We fail to see the possibility of extremists on either side coming in and only having to worry about elections for 12 years: 3 senate terms, 6 in the assembly, or a mix. This leaves us with ideologues with agendas, since level headed people would rarely leave their careers for short stints in goverment (since term limits means they can't try making a career out of it by listening to the people and winning elections). I learned this viewpoint from a professor in college (poli sci major, woo!).

Last edited by radgokart; 06-12-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgokart View Post
This is part of the problem with term limits. Everyone just sees the “corrupt people can't stay forever" part. We fail to see the possibility of extremists on either side coming in and only having to worry about elections for 12 years: 3 senate terms, 6 in the assembly, or a mix. This leaves us with ideologues with agendas, since level headed people would rarely leave their careers for short stints in goverment (since term limits means they can't try making a career out of it by listening to the people and winning elections). I learned this viewpoint from a professor in college (poli sci major, woo!).
Uninformed voters vote on name recognition and incumbents, if they have to choose a new person there is a better chance they will try to get some info on them instead of just staying stupid and going on with their life. It isn't perfect and anywhere near foolproof but it is at least a shot that isn't possible otherwise.

politics was never designed to be a career anyway but it has turned out that way with fat paychecks and pensions. If they got no money and it was just a civic duty we would have a part time legislature (as it should be) with people that REALLY want to effect change and not just come up with crap to protect their phone bologna jobs.
Old 06-13-2013, 2:02 AM

Politics has always been designed to be a career. Trying to hold influence has been around since the beginning of time. It's why kings existed and why the NRA will always have lobbyists.
Old 06-13-2013, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If brown vetos all of the anti 2A bills I will...sell my company, go on wellfare, divorce my wife, marry an illegal immigrant, and re-register from R to D, if you can't beat them join the scam. LOL, nah, I will just move to another FREE state.
I think I am safe and will not have to become an "everybody is a winner" leach, dbag. I used to love being born and raised here...now...not as much, too many democrats.
Old 06-13-2013, 9:25 AM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley82 View Post
If brown vetos all of the anti 2A bills I will...
You must mean if the Governor does NOT veto all of the anti 2A bills. (Veto = prevent bills from becoming law)

But hold your horses - we're still not at that stage yet. The SBs have to make their way through the Assembly, and the ABs have to make their way through the Senate (the latter being more likely to sail through than the former). Inevitably, one or more of the SBs in the Assembly will get held up in committee, compromises and amendments will be made, etc. Given the party makeup of the Assembly, the process might seem like a formality, but please focus your letter/e-mail writing, and phone calling efforts on your representatives. There's still a chance. What the Assembly allows to pass, we'll lobby the Governor, what the Governor allows to pass, we'll litigate.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.