Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-31-2013, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

"passed by the senate" is currently making the rounds as "passed waiting for signature"

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 05-31-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Did everyone flunk government in high school?
Are insults really necessary?
When it becomes necessary to seek protection from your protectors because they've substituted their judgment for clear, standing principles they've sworn to follow and have done so to the extent of attacking the protected, to characterize their actions as justified in furtherance of some nebulous greater good is to align yourself with and endorse criminal wrongdoing. - Author unknown
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Didn't all 10 of these bills just pass the Senate?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM
"Dickish" Juggernaut
CGN Contributor

I think a prayer from all of us is in order here.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM

call email donate.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
When? I see in the Senate, they still have the supermajority as of 5/22.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/130529955
Except for tax and revenue bills, all they need is a simple majority to ram these laws down our throats.
Old 05-31-2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGirlsHusband View Post
Except for tax and revenue bills, all they need is a simple majority to ram these laws down our throats.
True, but should the Governor veto, they would need 2/3 to override the veto.
Old 05-31-2013, 3:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
True, but should the Governor veto, they would need 2/3 to override the veto.
Do you have any idea how damaging over riding a veto can be to a politician who objects to the Governors Veto? Over riding Vetos is not very good politics for other bills a politician that may need the Governors help on the next go around.

Furthermore the vacancies you have shown i believe have been filled by an R. Just last week or so. The super majority is not what you think it is when the actual over ride were to be attempted. Extremely unlikely in these cases.

The assembly isn't even close in gun bills when it comes to the stuff the Senate passed either. I doubt the Senate will even get half the bills past the assembly.
Old 05-31-2013, 4:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
this is the worst list of stuff i've seen since i moved to this great state. BY FAR.

if you like what you have, consider taking 2 minutes to click the link in my above post and express your concerns to your representatives
Yeah this is pretty much Armageddon right here. People in rather restrictive countries like France/Germany will be able to own 'cooler' guns than we can if this passes, which is nuts.
Old 05-31-2013, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SB 47 by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco: bans so-called "bullet buttons" used to get around existing laws banning detachable magazines

SB 53 by Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles: creates new state permits that require background checks for buyers of ammunition

SB 374 by Sen. Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento: bans detachable magazines in rifles

SB 396 by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley: prohibits possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition

SB 567 by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara: changes the definition of certain kinds of shotguns to make them assault weapons

SB 683 by Sen. Marty Block, D-San Diego: requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate

SB 755 by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis: increases the number of crimes - including drug addiction, chronic alcoholism and others - that result in a 10-year ban on being allowed to own a gun

All of this is coming from Democrats. What percentage of calgunners vote Democrat?

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 05-31-2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee-pete View Post
Some of you who think you are being "realistic" are ver negative and shortsighted. These bills are written by people who don't care about our civil rights at all and are completely ridiculous. While some or even most may pass, they'll have their day in court and I truly believe will be shot down. Especially the ones that re-classify our semi-auto rifles into AW's and don't allow us to transfer our guns to our children. That affects way to many people to stand up in court.
The people who write these bills do not care about our civil rights. The catch is the court system won't care either. If it gets better at all ( it may not) it will get much worse first.
Vortex optics
Old 05-31-2013, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
All of this is coming from Democrats. What percentage of calgunners vote Democrat?
What percentage of Republicans are electable in urban areas of California?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 05-31-2013, 9:36 PM

Sorry if I am repeating any previous posts...
The California Senate lost its Democratic super-majority earlier this year due to vacated seats. However, they regained it after special elections were held in those districts where the seats were vacated. So yes, Dems still hold a super-majority in both the Assembly and the Senate.

This whole thing just stinks. I'm hoping for the best, planning, well just waiting I guess for the worst.
Old 06-01-2013, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Very sad how there is so little debate in California media on this. For the most part it is either silent, or tacitly endorsing them. Highly frustrating the lack of critical thinking on civil rights, that people are so willing to put blindfolds on and just jump into the abyss.
The ca media is a joke. They focus on celebrities, they play up any shootings, tell us how great the weather is and give us fluffy stories. It keeps the masses minds numb.
Old 06-01-2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdchivalry View Post
Yes.

-Immortal Technique

Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 AM

Default I may as well write a law about water polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
SB 683 by Sen. Marty Block, D-San Diego: requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate
and how will this stop another mass shooting and really ....Im a former Marine I think I can shoot safely
+1 except Army. I've helped teach hundreds of Soldiers to shoot and/or shoot better while my rep, Yee, probably has never shot in his life. How he's qualified to write crap like this blows my mind.

I know it doesn't add to the topic so to bring it back: I'm guessing they all pass and the courts will decide on the property related ones. That way no legislator or governor has their hands dirty.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
What percentage of Republicans are electable in urban areas of California?
In my area (San Francisco)? Zero. You'd have to be a libertarian on a democratic or green ticket.

I'm a calgunner who voted for a couple dems but mostly because I'm upset at the GOP for unrelated issues. Now I'm rethinking that call...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLT View Post
In my area (San Francisco)? Zero. You'd have to be a libertarian on a democratic or green ticket.

I'm a calgunner who voted for a couple dems but mostly because I'm upset at the GOP for unrelated issues. Now I'm rethinking that call...
Yup. Time to become a single issue voter.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I will side on the silence in the media being on purpose.

and people in this state do not care for their rights they have no problem giving them away. in some twisted way I hope it does happen because once they are gone people will wonder why they are getting arrested for something that they thought they had a right to do.

and im not referring to our gun rights I would love to see the 1rst Amendment go here. then people will care.
No, there is no conspiracy there.

It's just that this is about the city/rural divide in California (and in the country in general). The huge majority of media professionals don't live in rural California - they live and often were raised in cities or cozy suburbs. They had little to no exposure to firearms.

It's a subject they know very little about, and they don't really understand what's going on. Furthermore, most gun enthusiasts hate the media. So it's not like they feel much motivation to really investigate or understand what's going on there.

So in the end, it's very much a chicken-and-egg thing.

The media doesn't want to be part of a conspiracy. What the media wants is to sell ads and subscriptions. And those bills right now don't make for a very interesting story to them they can sell ads against, because to them those potential laws are obscure and technical. They don't really understand what's going on.

Which is why we need to keep pressuring officials, but also write to the local and national media. We have to educate them to counter the Brady propaganda, and stop *****ing about conspiracies or bias. Otherwise they'll keep ignoring us.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
SB 47 by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco: bans so-called "bullet buttons" used to get around existing laws banning detachable magazines

SB 53 by Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles: creates new state permits that require background checks for buyers of ammunition

SB 374 by Sen. Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento: bans detachable magazines in rifles

SB 396 by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley: prohibits possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition

SB 567 by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara: changes the definition of certain kinds of shotguns to make them assault weapons

SB 755 by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis: increases the number of crimes - including drug addiction, chronic alcoholism and others - that result in a 10-year ban on being allowed to own a gun

of these evil bills, sb374 is the most evil of them all.

beside expanding the aw definition/registration, it also establish new registration for all handguns purchased before 1/1/91, and all rifles with detachable mags including C&R like Enfields, and regardless of caliber.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLT View Post

If you don't mind, what were the unrelated issues? If you do, not a biggie.
Old 06-02-2013, 8:15 PM

If you want to change the tune of the CA democrat party so these bills will not show up as often it will take time. I grew up in the Bay Area and lived there for 20+ years, the best option would be running on a moderate ticket that is socially liberal and moderately fiscally conservative. Running on a Republican ticket is not politically feasible at the moment. It will take a while to win the votes of the people. Over a grand scale you could eventually socialize the public and media to guns but remember that it will be in incremental.
Old 06-02-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind, what were the unrelated issues? If you do, not a biggie.
I don't mind but doubt others want to hear it. PM sent.
Old 06-03-2013, 5:51 AM

Jefferson, “Laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the general progress of the human mind”. Since the average California voter doesn’t seem to know or care other than politically correct ideals, our leaders will then take advantage of our freedoms and do what they want without repercussions. Until the average voter once again takes freedom seriously we few have to deal with the tyrants and do gooders as best as we can.
Old 06-03-2013, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

While we all hope those which make it to the Gov's desk get vetoed, what, historically, is the highest number of vetoes a CA governor has ever issued?

I just don't see Brown throwing that many vetoes, regardless of the content of the bills.

Hopefully, he'll have other means of preventing them from landing on his desk, including influence in the Assembly.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM

The days of riding on our forefathers coat tails as far as gun ownership goes is over we need to take action ourselves to protect our gun rights for not only us but future generations before its to late ( if its not to late already ) to many people point fingers or say they think this will or won't happen instead of taking any action write your representatives tell your family and friends to do the same heck tell the guy at Walmart or Big 5 waiting in line for ammo next to you to do so - make them hear us since without our 2A rights we are all bark and no bite if we lose them at least don't let it be without a fight!

FOR SALE ! STREAMLIGHT TLR-1 HP W/ REMOTE SWITCH & MAGPUL STOCK & KYDEX SIG P228 / P229 HOLSTER : CLICK HERE ! : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18089758
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
i would like to know why you have so much hope and faith in that the NRA will come to the rescue of some of these bills.. they pick and choose there battles and anyone who tries to battle California over common sense will surely loose.
you just cant stoop to a retards level...
You must have joined just about the time this was happening. AB962 was somewhat similar to the new bill that got dropped (53 I think). Don't lose hope even if the governor signs them into law. It is not the most desirable way to win, but its a win so Ill take it.

Passed and signed into law in 09 and repealed in 11.
http://www.wegc.org/wordpress/?p=2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
YES! When people are posting false, misleading info, or are so lazy to not read the thread or Google to get info.

Next thing we will hear is "These bills are on the Gov's desk to be signed cause I read it on the bathroom wall at a chevron station yesterday."
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
Next thing we will hear is "These bills are on the Gov's desk to be signed cause I read it on the bathroom wall at a chevron station yesterday."
Actually Brown just signed all the bills into law 2 hours ago. I heard that from a very reliable source at McDonald's.

Just kidding, but I couldn't refuse.

C2
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I've been thinking about SB 374 for a while and I think it is important that Brown signs it. We need SB 374 to be reviewed by SCOTUS. The goal is to use Heller to define long guns with detachable magazines a common weapon that the 2nd Amendment protect making the ban on them unconstitutional. Ultimately SB 47 would not even matter as long as the ban on detachable magazine is recognized as unconstitutional.

This is a stretch but it might be our chance to hit a homer.
Old 06-04-2013, 6:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i don't know what %, but from what i was reading in this forum prior to the 2012 elections, there would be a significant amount of Californians who voted Democrat. why one member even challenged me and said "what has obama done to curtail my gun rights?"
Old 06-04-2013, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
YES! When people are posting false, misleading info, or are so lazy to not read the thread or Google to get info.

so inform them...this is the divisiveness of CA on this issue. all i hear is speculation. no one really knows what is going to happen.
Old 06-04-2013, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robidouxs View Post
If you want to change the tune of the CA democrat party so these bills will not show up as often it will take time. I grew up in the Bay Area and lived there for 20+ years, the best option would be running on a moderate ticket that is socially liberal and moderately fiscally conservative. Running on a Republican ticket is not politically feasible at the moment. It will take a while to win the votes of the people. Over a grand scale you could eventually socialize the public and media to guns but remember that it will be in incremental.
exactly....this state will always be liberal.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
No, there is no conspiracy there.

It's just that this is about the city/rural divide in California (and in the country in general). The huge majority of media professionals don't live in rural California - they live and often were raised in cities or cozy suburbs. They had little to no exposure to firearms.

It's a subject they know very little about, and they don't really understand what's going on. Furthermore, most gun enthusiasts hate the media. So it's not like they feel much motivation to really investigate or understand what's going on there.

So in the end, it's very much a chicken-and-egg thing.

The media doesn't want to be part of a conspiracy. What the media wants is to sell ads and subscriptions. And those bills right now don't make for a very interesting story to them they can sell ads against, because to them those potential laws are obscure and technical. They don't really understand what's going on.

Which is why we need to keep pressuring officials, but also write to the local and national media. We have to educate them to counter the Brady propaganda, and stop *****ing about conspiracies or bias. Otherwise they'll keep ignoring us.
what conspiracy in my post? have you seen these videos on the stupid people of this state? apparently you have not. now while the person giving the so called petitions are fake it shows how people are so will to give it up. so flame away oh ignorant one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
More

Asks Californians to support "door to door gun confiscation" and an "Orwellian, Nazi, Russian police state"

Asks Californians to support repeal of the Second Amendment

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 06-04-2013 at 7:34 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 8:26 AM

Quote:

Insults are still not necessary and serves to divide at a time when we need to be united.
When it becomes necessary to seek protection from your protectors because they've substituted their judgment for clear, standing principles they've sworn to follow and have done so to the extent of attacking the protected, to characterize their actions as justified in furtherance of some nebulous greater good is to align yourself with and endorse criminal wrongdoing. - Author unknown
Old 06-04-2013, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Insults are still not necessary and serves to divide at a time when we need to be united.
Exactly. Now is the time to stick together and educate, not talk down to others who are trying to be involved in the pro-gun fight, many for the first time. Let's not scare them away, teach them how it works so they can spread the correct information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:54 AM

All this is saddening. Asked the Mrs. this week, so, which state do you want to move too. Both of us are CA born and raised. Beautiful State... f'd up politicians and media!

We need to split the state!!! East and West (aka Blue and Red) Why can't the CAGOP sponsor propositions like that? How how about a proposition about 2A? Or How about a proposition to change our electoral college, so my fricken vote is represented? Is it 100,000 signatures to get a proposition on the ballot? I'll stand infront of Safeway and collect signatures. Where do I sign up to do that?

Instead our CAGOP sucks ballz. Have you seen their FB page? https://www.facebook.com/CARepublicanParty look at the depressed people in the banner picture. No wonder we can't attract voters!

:frustrated!!!:
Old 06-04-2013, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I think there will be quite a few veto's. Those that are not are clearly taking by the government without due process.

My predictions:

47 dies Its a Yee thang. If passes, Yee will be responsible for putting hundreds of thousands of AW's on the streets too.

53 dies at the hands of the Governor. (been there done that Kevin)

374 dies at the hands of the Governor. Or is met with an injunction via NRA

396 dies at the hands of the Governor. Pure and simple, illegal taking.

567 toss up

683 May withstand scrutiny

755 May withstand scrutiny
Even if it's vetoed, won't 2/3 votes of both houses make the bills become law?
Check this out
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bil2lawx.html
Old 06-04-2013, 9:21 AM

Quote:
When? I see in the Senate, they still have the supermajority as of 5/22.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/130529955
Based on ca gov website there are 11 rep out of 39 senators which means 28 deems which is over 2/3.
25 rep out of 79 assembly members again 2/3 is deems.
Old 06-04-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
According to Discount Gun Mart in San Diego the following bills are sitting on the governors desk waiting to be signed/veto. Hopefully he veto's them all.

(pasted from the email)
List of bills:
SB 47 (Yee) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 53 (de Leon) Ammunition: purchase permits - passed as amended
SB 293 (DeSaulnier) Firearms: owner-authorized handguns - passed as amended
SB 374 (Steinberg) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 396 (Hancock) Firearms: magazine capacity - passed
SB 567 (Jackson) Firearms: shotguns - passed as amended
SB 683 (Block) Firearms: firearm safety certificate - passed as amended
SB 755 (Wolk) Firearms: prohibited persons - passed
What happens next