Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-30-2013, 7:56 AM

My opinion is that they ALL get signed. Brown is a dem, supermajority is dem, bulk of the voters in California are Dems. This will be seen by most California residents as a Public Safety issue in the right direction. At first glance to the uninformed (typical Californian) these all look like "common sense" laws that most would say "I thought we already had these laws and why didn't they exist already".

I hope I am wrong. I'll keep fighting, emailing , calling, informing etc. But I think this State is lost.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 05-30-2013, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Certainly anything the government "takes from you" that was legally yours to begin with is a taking of property.

Mags for instance will be a taking with no compensation. (completely illegal)

Banning semi autos and creating an AW out of them with no ability to transfer is also a taking. (completely illegal as is the current AWB which has not met its real day in court)

The biggest problem with these bills for the most part is forcing an American to part with their legally owned and purchased possessions. I don't see how almost any of these bills can stand up in court. JMO
They are being very careful to disguise the "taking away" aspect. Its actually the opposite - I mean, technically, they are permanently binding us to our firearms. No selling, trading, gifting, handing down....When you die, they are buried with you or returned to the state. The long term goal of eliminating the problem over the next couple generations while they brainwash the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy64 View Post
Considering SB47 and SB347 invariably go after the same class of guns with 347 being all encompassing, I can see one of the two going through. If I were to guess, 347 gets vetoed with 47 going through and all the antis get their "compromise" without actually having to compromise with anyone. At least that is the thought in my head
^ completely agree...47 is the one they expect to pass.

The only one I see having a chance of passing outright with no opposition could be the Firearm Saftey Certificate bill....That is, until I read that it requires everyone to actually physically attend a class for the cert. Teachers and classes cost money, and if this "requirement" isn't paid for by the state and expected of us, then we've got problems. That said, If the current HSC test was amended with a dozen or so new questions in regards to long-guns, and we could take it at the counter of the gun shop (like we do with the HSC)..same price, etc....then i could see that one passing w/out much hassle...But an actual class? US Marines sitting next to middle-aged housewives?.. Yeah right...
Old 05-30-2013, 8:37 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that all these collective bills are being touted as the "Life Bills," meant to save lives where the Federal attempts fell short.

I just bout threw up in my mouth, as the liberal media is really pushing these as well.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 05-30-2013, 8:51 AM

Most of these are so silly.

Do all of these include grandfathering of existing firearms, or are they expecting me to turn what I have in?
Old 05-30-2013, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Just heard ABC radio (who is usually very liberal and was pushing the Democrats gun control memes) just run a story questioning whether all these bills would actually stop mass shootings.

This could be nothing, but IMO its very telling...could be a sign that the lapdog liberal media is noticing how damaging all this gun grabbing push will be for the Democrat party in 2014-16. I've never heard ABC radio ever question the Democrat push to grab guns, in fact for weeks all they did was use the term "assault" rifle...at every chance.

IMO I think some on the left are becoming worried..seeing how the backlash in CO, IL etc are starting to awaken the masses to the gun grabbers, and those in the Democrat party who've tried to exploit a tragedy for partisan political power.
Old 05-30-2013, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Keep calling, emailing, writing until we know for sure what gets vetoed and what doesn't. After that then it's going to be time to decide what to do.
Old 05-30-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwaggon View Post
Whatever happened to that bill that taxes each cartridge component 5 cents??? That POS bill basically doubles the price of any 22LR round....
Failed to clear assembly appropriations committee one week ago -
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 05-30-2013, 9:19 AM

I have never felt so helpless. I've been writing for months and this crap still turns into ABs and SBs. I'm afraid I'm on a few lists.

What do we do now? Wait to see if they pass senate and Brown?

I think I agree with Hotwls13...this state is lost. And it sucks, because aside from politics, I love this state. Second generation Californian here.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94T03W20130530

This is an interesting twist. Apparently the Assembly in CA is not willing to accept and pass the laws created by the Senate. We'll see.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

This is an interesting twist. Apparently the Assembly in CA is not willing to accept and pass the laws created by the Senate. We'll see.
I read this yesterday and it makes me feel hopeful. But I still won't hold my breath. I think our best chance stands in court after the libs passed their crazy laws. Who knows, maybe the assembly or Brown will actually see these bills for what they really are, garbage bs.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:

From the article:

The Assembly Democratic Caucus is more moderate on this issue because it has members from rural and swing districts," said Steven Maviglio, a spokesman for Assembly Speaker John Perez, a Democrat.

Perez himself is a gun owner, Maviglio said.

"It's the same issue the Democrats face nationally," said David Mark, who edits the California-based policy website Politix. "Not all the members represent super-liberal areas."

Democratic Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner said the assembly was less likely to support measures that go beyond closing loopholes in existing laws.

"In the assembly you've got a really large number of new members," Skinner said. "If they represent an area that has high gun-ownership numbers they're nervous about that."

Skinner is very much of an anti, so the fact that she's saying the Assembly probably won't do much beyond closing existing loopholes is a good sign, as it seems the votes are not there.

The fact that the Assembly members from swing districts are nervous about a backlash tells me that phone calls and emails to those people are already having an effect.

Along with calling the governor's office, this is where pressure from our side can be applied most effectively. We need to crank up the calls and emails to an even higher now that the Senate has passed their garbage, as the Assembly will be under pressure from their Senate counterparts to pass those bills.

The more of the bills that we can knock out at the Assembly level, the better.

Last edited by Skyhook; 05-30-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Does anyone have any info on whether there is a chance of a recall of these individuals?
Git real.

With the alternative being the CA GOP - easily regarded as biblethumpers and gay bashers, and who are unelectable because of that - you think that remotely would have a chance?

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM

We are screwed. Too few gun owners and way too many sheep that have never held a gun. All they see is guns kill people. The sheep outnumber us. California Democrats push these bills, because they think their political career will suddenly take off. In actuality they will just be voted out in some areas outside the big cities or get unseated by someone more liberal and the senate will still be Democratic. A few of these bills will probably be amended, California has been lost. I'll probably be forging east to Texas in the coming years. It's a shame California was/is such a beautiful state. I'll just send what they ban back east.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post
From the article:
Skinner is very much of an anti, so the fact that she's saying the Assembly probably won't do much beyond closing existing loopholes is a good sign, as it seems the votes are not there.
I will note Skinner's aide is the famous Alison Merrilees, formerly of DOJ.

I do note that Perez while in no way progun is not really anti and also is smart/not crazy and works "for his caucus".

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco33 View Post
We are screwed. Too few gun owners and way too many sheep that have never held a gun. All they see is guns kill people. The sheep outnumber us. California Democrats push these bills, because they think their political career will suddenly take off. In actuality they will just be voted out in some areas outside the big cities or get unseated by someone more liberal and the senate will still be Democratic. A few of these bills will probably be amended, California has been lost. I'll probably be forging east to Texas in the coming years. It's a shame California was/is such a beautiful state. I'll just send what they ban back east.
Of all the bills, SB47 appears to be the most heinous and the one with the highest likelihood of passing. It is being sold as "closing the bullet-button loophole".
What's worse is that it forces you to register if at any point in time your AR had features, even if today your AR is 100% featureless.
And you can't sell the AR, even out of state. This amounts to "taking".

I don't think we are "screwed" yet, but we will be if law-abiding gun owners abandon this state. There is hope here, but we need to get together and help the NRA fight back.
Old 05-30-2013, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

I saw in today's OC register all these bills passed? Does that mean they are law now? The way I read it in the paper makes it seem i am now in possession of an illegal rifle...?
Old 05-30-2013, 1:23 PM

This is just all bad!

C2
Old 05-30-2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd4ever View Post
And you can't sell the AR, even out of state.
Where is this stated in the Sb 47 Bill?
Old 05-30-2013, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Too much FUD
Old 05-30-2013, 1:46 PM

It is not explicitly stated but the wording has serious impact. It states:

30680. Notwithstanding the meaning of “assault weapon” under Section 30515, as amended by the act that added this section, any person who possessed an assault weapon prior to January 1, 2014, is exempt from punishment pursuant to Section 30605 until July 1, 2015, if all of the following are applicable:
(a) During the person’s possession, the person was eligible to register that assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 30900.
(b) The person lawfully possessed that assault weapon on January 1, 2014.

No new registration of any existing AW is possible after Jan 1, 2014 since you have to have lawfully possessed it on or before that date. So, effectively it blocks you from any transfer after that date since the transferee (the potential new owner) did not lawfully possess it.
Old 05-30-2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd4ever View Post
It is not explicitly stated but the wording has serious impact. It states:

30680. Notwithstanding the meaning of “assault weapon” under Section 30515, as amended by the act that added this section, any person who possessed an assault weapon prior to January 1, 2014, is exempt from punishment pursuant to Section 30605 until July 1, 2015, if all of the following are applicable:
(a) During the person’s possession, the person was eligible to register that assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 30900.
(b) The person lawfully possessed that assault weapon on January 1, 2014.

No new registration of any existing AW is possible after Jan 1, 2014 since you have to have lawfully possessed it on or before that date. So, effectively it blocks you from any transfer after that date since the transferee (the potential new owner) did not lawfully possess it.
Well, a transfer to another Californian, yeah. But If you sell it to someone out of state, CA isn't involved at all.
Old 05-30-2013, 1:53 PM

There is nothing that says you can't sell it out of state. California can't control Oregon laws for example.
Old 05-30-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:

i would like to know why you have so much hope and faith in that the NRA will come to the rescue of some of these bills.. they pick and choose there battles and anyone who tries to battle California over common sense will surely loose.
you just cant stoop to a retards level...

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-30-2013, 2:15 PM

Progressives are on a roll in the states I think Brown will sign them all. When that happens I would hope ppl would once and finally get a set and push for a recall election against him not over guns but the states debt etc etc too... there is more than enough to get it going. Problem is the people everywhere including here lack taking action. All I see everywhere I go is people venting online or within those they are safe speaking freely.

Thats the problem and it will continue until everyone gets off their azz and start engaging the radicals destroying this country. STOP BEING NIE, STOP TRYING TO BE THE GUY?GAL EVERYONE LIKES! You want someone to blame for everything going on go look in the mirror!

Based on what I have seen this is nothing but a wet dream for those of us who actually speak out in public! I dont have many friends and get bad looks in public b/c I walk the walk....
Old 05-30-2013, 2:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
i would like to know why you have so much hope and faith in that the NRA will come to the rescue of some of these bills.. they pick and choose there battles and anyone who tries to battle California over common sense will surely loose.
you just cant stoop to a retards level...
First and foremost, what you quoted and what you are asking are two different things.

The bills passed in the CA Senate, have only passed the Senate and must now be voted on in the CA Assembly which is not a sure thing as noted in what you quoted with the link. Even if the Assembly passes something then the Governor must sign it which also is not a sure thing.

Your questions about the NRA. The NRA employs a full time lobbyist in Sacramento. He is the only NRA lobbyist employed to such a job. The NRA has no other lobbyists in any other state capitol in the nation.

The job of a lobbyist is get what is best for his boss (NRA) I assure you that this NRA lobbyist is knocking on doors and relaying the message for all of us. He is also warning of the possible blow backs to these bills and how it could affect the politicians political furture, especially if this new law costs millions to enforce because of a losing court battle in the SCOTUS.
Old 05-30-2013, 3:15 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

tape, I'm hoping and praying that your predictions come true. I'm a bit concerned about the shotgun bill as I have a semi-auto and pump that both have pistol grips. Haven't read the bill to see what it entails. I am very concerned about Yee's bill and the 10-round magazine capacity bill. I've got lots of 10/30's and a bunch of pre-ban 30's, along with my hi-caps for my CCW pistolas. And I'm not really looking forward to registering my AR15 and LR308.
Old 05-30-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
First and foremost, what you quoted and what you are asking are two different things.

The bills passed in the CA Senate, have only passed the Senate and must now be voted on in the CA Assembly which is not a sure thing as noted in what you quoted with the link. Even if the Assembly passes something then the Governor must sign it which also is not a sure thing.

Your questions about the NRA. The NRA employs a full time lobbyist in Sacramento. He is the only NRA lobbyist employed to such a job. The NRA has no other lobbyists in any other state capitol in the nation.

The job of a lobbyist is get what is best for his boss (NRA) I assure you that this NRA lobbyist is knocking on doors and relaying the message for all of us. He is also warning of the possible blow backs to these bills and how it could affect the politicians political furture, especially if this new law costs millions to enforce because of a losing court battle in the SCOTUS.
then i stand corrected.
sir

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 05-30-2013, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I highly doubt brown signs them all, assuming they all make it to his desk.

He'll likely sign some. Hell, he might sign most. But I doubt he signs them all.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 05-30-2013, 6:06 PM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:

The job of a lobbyist is get what is best for his boss (NRA) I assure you that this NRA lobbyist is knocking on doors and relaying the message for all of us.
This Ed Worley is great. I met him earlier this year. He is very smart, articulate, and dedicated to his work.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 05-30-2013, 9:18 PM

Did anybody think about the fact that registering ammo will only increase the amount of robberies by criminals so they can get around purchasing it. At that point who will be held responsible for the committed crime? The lawful purchased ?
Old 05-30-2013, 9:34 PM

This will all come down to the governor. I tend to think that the anti-gun forces are approaching his limit. He has been willing to stand up for the 2nd Amendment before when he would have been better off politically to have not done so. The question is, "What gun laws does Gov. Brown believe violate the Constitution?"

My guess is that we are about to find out. Sadly, as the numbers above show, the Dems could very well override his veto......
Old 05-30-2013, 9:35 PM

I think we should all funnel our funds into ONE party (NRA?) that can take on California. Instead of splitting up funds amongst 10 different parties. Even if's small amounts $5-100 at a time. it adds up.

I'm willing to donate.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I think there will be quite a few veto's. Those that are not are clearly taking by the government without due process.

My predictions:

47 dies Its a Yee thang. If passes, Yee will be responsible for putting hundreds of thousands of AW's on the streets too.

53 dies at the hands of the Governor. (been there done that Kevin)

374 dies at the hands of the Governor. Or is met with an injunction via NRA

396 dies at the hands of the Governor. Pure and simple, illegal taking.

567 toss up

683 May withstand scrutiny

755 May withstand scrutiny
Is that all that went through ?

What about 293,299,108,585? I thought those passed the "safety com" and were off to appropriations ... no?

And is there or there not a super majority for demoquacks? I've read several posts arguing both ...

Thanks.

Saiga
CZ
Buck/TOPS
Hayabusa,Hadjiev,Isami,Merrells,Tactical Tailor,Condor
Old 05-31-2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post

What about 293,299,108,585? I thought those passed the "safety com" and were off to appropriations ... no?

And is there or there not a super majority for demoquacks? I've read several posts arguing both ...

Thanks.
They do have a supermajority in both houses. You can verify at the sites below.

http://assembly.ca.gov/assemblymembers

State assembly

Democratic Party 54
Republican Party 25
Vacancy 1
Total 80

68%

http://senate.ca.gov/

State senate

Democratic Party 28
Republican Party 11
Vacancy 1
Total 40

71%
Old 05-31-2013, 6:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
They do have a supermajority in both houses. You can verify at the sites below.

http://assembly.ca.gov/assemblymembers

State assembly

Democratic Party 54
Republican Party 25
Vacancy 1
Total 80

68%

http://senate.ca.gov/

State senate

Democratic Party 28
Republican Party 11
Vacancy 1
Total 40

71%
These bills are only about bills that passed the Senate. Most of these bills will not pass in the assembly in their current form. There is no way a veto override on any of these bills occur. There is not enough support in the assembly to override a JB Veto.

Even trying to think that far ahead at this point is being intellectually dishonest with yourself and the system. I have no idea why so many of you think that just because then senate passes something, both assembly and governor will also pass the same language.

On the gun issues here is appears the assembly is not comepletely falling in line with the senate and doubt the governor is either.

Last edited by taperxz; 05-31-2013 at 8:09 AM..
Old 05-31-2013, 6:45 AM

Any idea when we'll see these bills start making their way through the Assembly committees?
Old 05-31-2013, 8:05 AM

Everyone MUST do a Gun Trust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-qll-_QgU
http://www.thelawcollaborative.com/gun-trusts.htm

You'll protect yourself and your guns against stupid lawmakers and stupid laws.
Old 05-31-2013, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

I for one really like your thinking and wished I agreed with you 100 percent.

I think that the bills are way to far over reaching(all of them) to go through without a huge public out cry. We need to get the word out to the gun owners who don't keep up with this stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 9:05 AM

According to Discount Gun Mart in San Diego the following bills are sitting on the governors desk waiting to be signed/veto. Hopefully he veto's them all.

(pasted from the email)
List of bills:
SB 47 (Yee) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 53 (de Leon) Ammunition: purchase permits - passed as amended
SB 293 (DeSaulnier) Firearms: owner-authorized handguns - passed as amended
SB 374 (Steinberg) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 396 (Hancock) Firearms: magazine capacity - passed
SB 567 (Jackson) Firearms: shotguns - passed as amended
SB 683 (Block) Firearms: firearm safety certificate - passed as amended
SB 755 (Wolk) Firearms: prohibited persons - passed
When it becomes necessary to seek protection from your protectors because they've substituted their judgment for clear, standing principles they've sworn to follow and have done so to the extent of attacking the protected, to characterize their actions as justified in furtherance of some nebulous greater good is to align yourself with and endorse criminal wrongdoing. - Author unknown
Old 05-31-2013, 9:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdchivalry View Post
According to Discount Gun Mart in San Diego the following bills are sitting on the governors desk waiting to be signed/veto. Hopefully he veto's them all.

(pasted from the email)
List of bills:
SB 47 (Yee) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 53 (de Leon) Ammunition: purchase permits - passed as amended
SB 293 (DeSaulnier) Firearms: owner-authorized handguns - passed as amended
SB 374 (Steinberg) Firearms: assault weapons - passed as amended
SB 396 (Hancock) Firearms: magazine capacity - passed
SB 567 (Jackson) Firearms: shotguns - passed as amended
SB 683 (Block) Firearms: firearm safety certificate - passed as amended
SB 755 (Wolk) Firearms: prohibited persons - passed
Did everyone flunk government in high school?