Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-29-2013, 5:17 PM
Banned

Exclamation UPDATE! Which bills will stand a chance and why/why not?

I think there will be quite a few veto's. Those that are not are clearly taking by the government without due process.

Quote:
SB 47 by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco: bans so-called "bullet buttons" used to get around existing laws banning detachable magazines

SB 53 by Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles: creates new state permits that require background checks for buyers of ammunition

SB 374 by Sen. Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento: bans detachable magazines in rifles

SB 396 by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley: prohibits possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition

SB 567 by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara: changes the definition of certain kinds of shotguns to make them assault weapons

SB 683 by Sen. Marty Block, D-San Diego: requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate

SB 755 by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis: increases the number of crimes - including drug addiction, chronic alcoholism and others - that result in a 10-year ban on being allowed to own a gun

My predictions:

47 dies Its a Yee thang. If passes, Yee will be responsible for putting hundreds of thousands of AW's on the streets too. (Merged with 374)

53 dies at the hands of the Governor. (been there done that Kevin) (back to committee probably dead) DEAD

374 dies at the hands of the Governor. Or is met with an injunction via NRA (waiting till end of day) VETO!!!

396 dies at the hands of the Governor. Pure and simple, illegal taking.(dead)

567 toss up (passed awaiting gov sig) VETO!!!

683 May withstand scrutiny (passed awaiting gov sig) Passed governors desk

755 May withstand scrutiny (passed awaited gov sig) VETO!!!

Last edited by taperxz; 10-11-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 5:28 PM
CGN Contributor

Thats rosy thinking. I say they all get signed. If not, remember this post and make me eat crow.
-- I love the mythological significance given to Dum Dum Bullets. As if they're little tactical nukes, stacked up in "Assault Clips" ready to be "sprayfired" "from the hip" by pistol grip equipped "bullet hoses" instead of early variations of the softpoint bullets people have been using to take game with (and use for self-defense) for the last century.
Old 05-29-2013, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you're right with those predictions.
Old 05-29-2013, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

they will all stand. why wouldnt they?
Old 05-29-2013, 5:45 PM

I figure there's no chance in hell ALL of them will get vetoed, and pretty likely that all of them will be signed.

Even if we could be sure a couple of the more odious ones got vetoed, what remains is still intolerable.
Old 05-29-2013, 5:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
they will all stand. why wouldnt they?
Certainly anything the government "takes from you" that was legally yours to begin with is a taking of property.

Mags for instance will be a taking with no compensation. (completely illegal)

Banning semi autos and creating an AW out of them with no ability to transfer is also a taking. (completely illegal as is the current AWB which has not met its real day in court)

The biggest problem with these bills for the most part is forcing an American to part with their legally owned and purchased possessions. I don't see how almost any of these bills can stand up in court. JMO
Old 05-29-2013, 5:48 PM
Banned

I also predict that the NRA will take each and every one of these bills if passed into law to court and asking for an immediate injunction based on taking of property.
Old 05-29-2013, 5:58 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Taperxz, that's a good list.
Some of these bills (shenanigans)have been tried before and failed.
Many never made it to court, but they will now if they do go through.
Brown would be ill-advised to sign them all, because one by one they will be shot down based on existing case law and all he will get is bad publicity.
We wlll see if logic and law prevails.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I generally agree with taperxz.

And Gov. Brown won't ban guns he owns. :-)

I think he'll see/be shown that Dickinson's Roster bill also stops legitimate transfers of the bulk of handguns in CA, making any practical disposal for cash near-impossible. [It would also make it difficult for him to transfer his dad's (Pat Brown's) legacy Colt 32 revolver. ;-)]

Brown recognizes that semiauto stuff is "in litigation", plus I believe he owns some one or two semiauto rifles at his ranch in NorCal. I don't see him signing anything confiscatory. He's a good lawyer with a good legal mind - we may not always agree with him, but he does understand problems with takings, compensation, etc.

Unsure about the "revolving shotgun matter". That could be argued as a 'clarification' of past law confusing cylinder vs magazine and shotgun/rifle. The actual worry is the details leaking out to affect other gun classes, not just a single weird Taurus/Rossi rifle shooting 410.

I see him signing as a "split the baby" + "public safety" issue the SB683 training bill (Block) - the 'average Joe' nonanalytically sees that as a "good thing".

I see some handwaving on Wolk's 10yr ban given due process arguments - I think some even in legislature see this as issue. (Adjudication? Rights restoral? etc.) If this were addressed somewhat rationally Brown may sign.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:02 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

SB 683 by Sen. Marty Block, D-San Diego: requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate
and how will this stop another mass shooting and really ....Im a former Marine I think I can shoot safely
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:24 PM

Taperxz and bwiese, I sure hope your both right, since my current career is in firearms, this could literally put me out of work.

Old 05-29-2013, 6:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
Taperxz and bwiese, I sure hope your both right....
Me too, but we must remain vigilant.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Taperxz and bwiese, I sure hope your both right, since my current career is in firearms, this could literally put me out of work.
Once I got over the initial shock at the scope of all these bills, this is my second thought. They are going to pretty much kill gun business in this state, at least anything ebr or the like related, which is pretty much everything these days.

Solidworks drafting
Old 05-29-2013, 6:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Governor was the California AG prior to being Governor (again) I find it hard to believe he will spend money on losing in court laws created by the ignorant.

Regardless of your opinion of him, he is not stupid! HE IS ALL POLITICAL! Not stupid. If i am wrong then maybe age has set in on the old guy. His ranch is right down the road from mine so....
Old 05-29-2013, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't trust the guy period. actions speak louder than words. if he vetoes the bills that are worming their way through the legislative process then I will think otherwise. until then I don't trust him at all.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
and how will this stop another mass shooting and really ....Im a former Marine I think I can shoot safely
that law won't stop anyone period.

while I think training is a good thing I believe it should be strongly encouraged not mandated by government.

besides what good is that law if you can't get any ammo for the class.

I've been in the Army for more than 20yrs. I don't need a safety class to have a firearm.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-29-2013, 7:23 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
that law won't stop anyone period.

while I think training is a good thing I believe it should be strongly encouraged not mandated by government.

besides what good is that law if you can't get any ammo for the class.

I've been in the Army for more than 20yrs. I don't need a safety class to have a firearm.
and your right I havent bought ammo in months

Im also a Rifle shooting merit badge counselor and I cant even find 22 for my boys to train with. Have to resort to BBguns and they suck
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 05-29-2013, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveohmike View Post
Thats rosy thinking. I say they all get signed. If not, remember this post and make me eat crow.
Fiveohmike, I hate to say it (not because of you) but I agree with you. The assembly will pass all of them and brown will sign all of them. Plus, there are more coming and those will all be passed and signed as well.

I'm just wondering if we can get a class action suit going for several of these? I know that several of these bills will prohibit me from using several of my firearms.
Old 05-29-2013, 7:50 PM

I think he'll sign AT LEAST 2 of the bills...his record sides with the anti's and uninformed.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 05-29-2013, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very sad how there is so little debate in California media on this. For the most part it is either silent, or tacitly endorsing them. Highly frustrating the lack of critical thinking on civil rights, that people are so willing to put blindfolds on and just jump into the abyss.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 05-29-2013, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does anyone have any info on whether there is a chance of a recall of these individuals?
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-29-2013, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Very sad how there is so little debate in California media on this. For the most part it is either silent, or tacitly endorsing them. Highly frustrating the lack of critical thinking on civil rights, that people are so willing to put blindfolds on and just jump into the abyss.
I will side on the silence in the media being on purpose.

and people in this state do not care for their rights they have no problem giving them away. in some twisted way I hope it does happen because once they are gone people will wonder why they are getting arrested for something that they thought they had a right to do.

and im not referring to our gun rights I would love to see the 1rst Amendment go here. then people will care.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:26 PM

Hmm? Glad I load my own. I'll probably have to start picking up components out of state and bring them back here. 1 hr 20 min to Reno from here.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:30 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Does anyone have any info on whether there is a chance of a recall of these individuals?
Existing thread on that; summary: the people that elected the current legislators like them and what they are doing - if one could be successfully recalled, the replacement would be similar in behavior.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-29-2013, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Existing thread on that; summary: the people that elected the current legislators like them and what they are doing - if one could be successfully recalled, the replacement would be similar in behavior.
Yep. They are interchangeable. Talking heads. Ultimately, their name means nothing. Merely actors playing a role. Don't forget that.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 05-29-2013, 8:33 PM

Default Mostly vetos

I agree with traperxyz on the bills with taking without compensation - the state and the embarassment the legislature would suffer and could not stand having to payout to gunowners a reasonable value of the taken 'article' bottomline Brown will not waste his money on those.

The certification will pass, the other one NEEDS to address restoration in order to be signed.

And finally, brown is a smart politician going along with the anti's will not make his legacy, there is an equal opportunity that if he did sign all of them he knows they will be tied up in court for years so again no legacy.

Additionally Brown is seeing the blowback in the other states that were quick to act and the citizens have responded - Dems should have listen better to Willyboy (Bill Clinton) he gave due respect to the gun community and the NRA. Obama bet his hand they he could beat them, his boots soiled his house and then all the past shenanigans 'broke'. Obama's legacy is s***. Brown will not get close too the mess the legislature is trying to give him.

Brown wants a legacy in the bullet train and the new aqueducts, not being know as the Gov that got beat-up on guns.

Last edited by majtom94; 05-29-2013 at 8:37 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Weird, who could have predicted the NRA would hang California gun owners out to dry yet again?

Brown will sign them all and let it get worked out in the courts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:57 PM

I foresee CA losing it’s super Dem majority next voting cycle over this if all these bills get passed. I’m pretty sure all the CA politicians have their eyes on Colorado to see what happens with the recall efforts. Only the big metro cities are mostly blue but overall there is a lot of red in this state that will take action if their rights are threatened. So we will see... maybe it is just wishfull thinking on my part but we will see how it plays out.
Old 05-29-2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majtom94 View Post
I agree with traperxyz on the bills with taking without compensation - the state and the embarassment the legislature would suffer and could not stand having to payout to gunowners a reasonable value of the taken 'article' bottomline Brown will not waste his money on those.

The certification will pass, the other one NEEDS to address restoration in order to be signed.

And finally, brown is a smart politician going along with the anti's will not make his legacy, there is an equal opportunity that if he did sign all of them he knows they will be tied up in court for years so again no legacy.

Additionally Brown is seeing the blowback in the other states that were quick to act and the citizens have responded - Dems should have listen better to Willyboy (Bill Clinton) he gave due respect to the gun community and the NRA. Obama bet his hand they he could beat them, his boots soiled his house and then all the past shenanigans 'broke'. Obama's legacy is s***. Brown will not get close too the mess the legislature is trying to give him.

Brown wants a legacy in the bullet train and the new aqueducts, not being know as the Gov that got beat-up on guns.
HIS MONEY? when did Brown started to issue his own currency?

most of CA electorate either don't care, don't know or support him, so there's little to no risk for him and his legacy...
Old 05-29-2013, 9:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8dragon88 View Post
HIS MONEY? when did Brown started to issue his own currency?

most of CA electorate either don't care, don't know or support him, so there's little to no risk for him and his legacy...
There is no more importance to a politician than his LEGACY! All Politicians view their impact on the world after their death or term in office.
Old 05-29-2013, 9:45 PM

Considering SB47 and SB347 invariably go after the same class of guns with 347 being all encompassing, I can see one of the two going through. If I were to guess, 347 gets vetoed with 47 going through and all the antis get their "compromise" without actually having to compromise with anyone. At least that is the thought in my head
Old 05-30-2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
Weird, who could have predicted the NRA would hang California gun owners out to dry yet again?...
Care to expound upon this?
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 05-30-2013, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I think there will be quite a few veto's. Those that are not are clearly taking by the government without due process.

My predictions:

47 dies Its a Yee thang. If passes, Yee will be responsible for putting hundreds of thousands of AW's on the streets too.

53 dies at the hands of the Governor. (been there done that Kevin)

374 dies at the hands of the Governor. Or is met with an injunction via NRA

396 dies at the hands of the Governor. Pure and simple, illegal taking.

567 toss up

683 May withstand scrutiny

755 May withstand scrutiny

My prediction: Even if Brown vetoes, it doesn't matter. Democrats have a supermajority in BOTH houses. They can override any veto.
Old 05-30-2013, 6:49 AM

I pray to god you are right.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd be in favor of 683 if passing their lame tests allowed me to have a carry license, but that will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
You're kidding, right?
I work in the media, and aside from the small percentage of conservatives or people who actually work for a firearms magazine or the Sportsman Channel, they are a very hard left gang of fools...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams

Last edited by Full Clip; 05-30-2013 at 7:14 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 7:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
My prediction: Even if Brown vetoes, it doesn't matter. Democrats have a supermajority in BOTH houses. They can override any veto.
No they don't. they lost that recently.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:35 AM

Whatever happened to that bill that taxes each cartridge component 5 cents??? That POS bill basically doubles the price of any 22LR round....
Old 05-30-2013, 7:45 AM

Some of you who think you are being "realistic" are ver negative and shortsighted. These bills are written by people who don't care about our civil rights at all and are completely ridiculous. While some or even most may pass, they'll have their day in court and I truly believe will be shot down. Especially the ones that re-classify our semi-auto rifles into AW's and don't allow us to transfer our guns to our children. That affects way to many people to stand up in court.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
No they don't. they lost that recently.
When? I see in the Senate, they still have the supermajority as of 5/22.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/130529955
Old 05-30-2013, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
When? I see in the Senate, they still have the supermajority as of 5/22.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/130529955
Further:

State assembly
Party As of May 2013
Democratic Party 54
Republican Party 25
Vacancy 1
Total 80

68%

State senate
Party As of May 2013
Democratic Party 27