Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-28-2013, 3:55 PM

Default 460 S&W Compensator

I just bought a S&W 460 XVR. It has two compensators, one for lead the other for jacketed ammo.

Why are there two different ones? Can I shoot either lead or jacketed using one type of compensator only? Which one?

.460 XVR owners or those in the know, please chime in.
Old 05-28-2013, 4:01 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I believe the shorter one that has the holes next to the front sight is used for jacketed bullets. The longer one that has the port in front of the sight is for lead bullets. They say that if you use the shorter one with lead bullets, it will cause a bunch of lead fouling on your front sight.
Old 05-28-2013, 4:57 PM

If you shoot lead rounds using the comp made for jacketed bullets it might cause the compensator to "weld" itself to the barrel and make it nearly impossible to remove. That is why the lead comp doesn't have the holes on top, to discourage lead fouling.

WTB: Saiga 7.62x39 and .223 barrel / barrel assemblies or parts kits, AK100 GB and FSB
Old 05-28-2013, 7:03 PM

I read a while back that using the lead comp for both types is just fine.
I've almost always shot heavy cast out of my 460V with a few jacketed in for practice. I've never had any issues using the lead comp for jacketed bullets or lead free Barnes bullets.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 PM

As everyone said, you can use the comp meant for lead with both lead and jacketed rounds but don't shoot lead rounds with the comp for jacketed rounds.

The comp for jacketed rounds should reduce muzzle flip more than the lead one because of the holes on top.

Haven't done a side by side comparison yet. Something to try next time I get to take the beast out.

Last edited by Bartin; 05-29-2013 at 8:44 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Thank you all for the response. I mostly use hard cast lead (cheaper) so I'll just leave the "lead" comp in place when I go to the range. I just hate to carry both of them at the range and lose one by accident.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM

If you do some research you'll find that at one time someone made an insert that eliminated the comp altogether. I've searched far and wide, can't find one.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-29-2013, 1:12 PM

Found it. Forgot it was just fabricated for personal use. Someone should make these, I'd buy one in a second.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...on-460v-review

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-29-2013, 1:21 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44fred View Post
Found it. Forgot it was just fabricated for personal use. Someone should make these, I'd buy one in a second.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...on-460v-review
There was an un-ported insert sold by S&W for a short period, but it's discontinued now. It was made for hunters who wanted to reduce sound at the expense of more recoil.

See post #6
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smi...ml#post1017746
Old 05-29-2013, 3:53 PM

I remember calling Smith about this a while ago. They acted like the holeless comp was never produced.
Wonder why they stopped producing it? Must of had "issues".

-- Thomas Jefferson