Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-06-2013, 6:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
So is SSD not laminating them any more? They're just giving you the rice-paper?

For those that have laminated cards, there's nothing that says you can't cut down the lamination, to make it fit your wallet. Just leave some around the edges, so it doesn't come a part.
The size of the permit is large enough that even trimming the laminate won't get it to fit where your license or credit cards go. I just carry it in with the paper money.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_madeiros View Post
I reduced mine to 80% and laminated it folded in half. It just right size as a credit card. Kinko's has a great copier it gets the finger print on there. I also have a full size copy in the glovebox. The police officer can verify through the computer. The original stays at home
I sent Amber at the Sheriffs office an email asking this exact question. Here is her response:

Quote:
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do regarding the size of the permit.. Itís done on a form thatís issued by the state of CA for use. If itís modified in any way itís deemed non-valid.

~Amber

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

ALWAYS carry the original permit.

I fold mine in half, and paper clip it to my CDL.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
ALWAYS carry the original permit.

I fold mine in half, and paper clip it to my CDL.
Mine is 1/2" wider than a drivers license or CC. You'd have to fold it by width and length both to fit behind the license.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
Mine is 1/2" wider than a drivers license or CC. You'd have to fold it by width and length both to fit behind the license.
I'm assuming that this is a Sacramento County issued permit by SSD?

If so, it fits perfectly behind my CDL with one fold. If looking at the permit right side up, fold it from left to right, turn it 90 degrees, and it fits just fine behind my CDL. I can take a picture of it if you don't believe me.

The permits are big, but they're not that big.
Old 06-06-2013, 3:31 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

You Sac guys are lucky!
Old 06-06-2013, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm assuming that this is a Sacramento County issued permit by SSD?

If so, it fits perfectly behind my CDL with one fold. If looking at the permit right side up, fold it from left to right, turn it 90 degrees, and it fits just fine behind my CDL. I can take a picture of it if you don't believe me.

The permits are big, but they're not that big.
Your permit is different than mine. First off, mine is taller than it is wide (5 1/8" tall by 3 7/8" wide), so folding it left to right and turning it 90 degrees would mean your CDL slot is 5 1/8" wide. I replaced my wallet with the largest I could find, and it still only allows 3 3/8" wide card or CDL to fit, and that's snug.

To make it worse, mine came laminated and the actual laminated part is 4 1/8" wide and about 3" tall. It's really not a biggie, just don't carry it in the CDL or CC section of your wallet. It appears some of you have smaller permits than the ones that Sac County is handing out today.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I sent Amber at the Sheriffs office an email asking this exact question. Here is her response:
Mine was not issued from the Sacramento Sheriff. I was told that I could laminate it. I will clarify on the copy and reduced size being valid.
Old 06-06-2013, 4:19 PM

When I got my first license in 2011, I went to Kohl's and bought a new wallet, one that has a slot behind the credit cards, separate from the money compartment. Cost me anout $15, IIRC. Simple solution to a very small problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Your permit is different than mine. First off, mine is taller than it is wide (5 1/8" tall by 3 7/8" wide), so folding it left to right and turning it 90 degrees would mean your CDL slot is 5 1/8" wide. I replaced my wallet with the largest I could find, and it still only allows 3 3/8" wide card or CDL to fit, and that's snug.

To make it worse, mine came laminated and the actual laminated part is 4 1/8" wide and about 3" tall. It's really not a biggie, just don't carry it in the CDL or CC section of your wallet. It appears some of you have smaller permits than the ones that Sac County is handing out today.
Mine is SSD issued and I live in Sac County. The permits are 4"x3". This is both the old and new ones. Not sure why yours is any different.
Old 06-06-2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:

I think yours might not have been folded in half before it was laminated based on the dimensions you're saying. Does your permit have anything on the back? Mine is a single piece of paper folded in half with half the info on front and the other half on the back. (Issuing Agency info/Section A and name address/etc. on front, Section B/firearms info on back)

Quote:
Mine is SSD issued and I live in Sac County. The permits are 4"x3". This is both the old and new ones. Not sure why yours is any different.
Same here. Mine is 4"x2.8" after some trimming on the edges of the laminated plastic. Sac SD issued last summer.
Old 06-06-2013, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I got mine on the very first day that the Sheriffs started handing them out at the final interview. Maybe they're using a new larger permit. The dimensions are for the entire permit unfolded. They do fold it in half and laminate it, but it's still 4.125" by 3" tall . At 4"+ wide it doesn't fit in the standard wallet DL and CC slots.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown View Post
I think yours might not have been folded in half before it was laminated based on the dimensions you're saying. Does your permit have anything on the back? Mine is a single piece of paper folded in half with half the info on front and the other half on the back. (Issuing Agency info/Section A and name address/etc. on front, Section B/firearms info on back)

Same here. Mine is 4"x2.8" after some trimming on the edges of the laminated plastic. Sac SD issued last summer.
Same as mine, my dimensions were of the permit unfolded. Where did you get a wallet that handles a 4" wide permit? I went to Kohls and looked at everything they had, they're all the same slots. My contractors license, drivers license, and every other membership card, lunch card, credit card is one size, this is 1/2" wider and will not fit the standard slots in a standard wallet.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
I got mine on the very first day that the Sheriffs started handing them out at the final interview. Maybe they're using a new larger permit. The dimensions are for the entire permit unfolded. They do fold it in half and laminate it, but it's still 4.125" by 3" tall . At 4"+ wide it doesn't fit in the standard wallet DL and CC slots.
They're still the same size they were in June 2011. They don't fit in a standard credit card slot, but they do fit in this wallet I got at Kohl's in June 2011:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370583190.096487.jpg
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
They're still the same size they were in June 2011. They don't fit in a standard credit card slot, but they do fit in this wallet I got at Kohl's in June 2011:
gotcha, thanks.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Are you not understanding what I'm saying? I'll walk us through this again.

Quote:
If you fold the permit, it fits perfectly fine behind a CDL.

Then you started giving out measurements that are bigger than what my permit is, so maybe you typed it incorrectly.

Then I reiterated that I live in Sac County and have an SSD issued permit. Again, a single fold of the permit fits the permit perfectly behind a CDL. I also mentioned that I had the permits when they were still mailing them out in a couple days ("older" ones) and when they issue it to you same day ("newer" ones). Since I recently modified my permit, I got mine "after" you.

So, what exactly is the problem here?

Fold the permit, stick it behind your CDL. Done deal. It fits.
Old 06-07-2013, 5:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Are you not understanding what I'm saying? I'll walk us through this again.

If you fold the permit, it fits perfectly fine behind a CDL.

Then you started giving out measurements that are bigger than what my permit is, so maybe you typed it incorrectly.

Then I reiterated that I live in Sac County and have an SSD issued permit. Again, a single fold of the permit fits the permit perfectly behind a CDL. I also mentioned that I had the permits when they were still mailing them out in a couple days ("older" ones) and when they issue it to you same day ("newer" ones). Since I recently modified my permit, I got mine "after" you.

So, what exactly is the problem here?

Fold the permit, stick it behind your CDL. Done deal. It fits.
I don't think you understand what I was saying. My state issued drivers license, my state issued contractors license, a state issued ID card, a credit card, an lunch card from a local restaurant, etc. are all the same basic size. They will all fit in the credit card slot of a normal wallet, or the drivers license slot with the clear plastic window.

This permit will not. This was brought up by other members who wondered the same thing, and then we got on the "reducing the size and re-laminating" deal so it would be the same size.

When you say "Again, a single fold of the permit fits the permit perfectly behind a CDL." that makes me believe that by folding it in half it's the same size or smaller than a CDL, which is NOT true in my case. Folded in half will NOT let me put it behind my CDL in the same slot with a clear window that the CDL is in. It WILL let me put it behind my CDL in a different section, either where the money is or if your wallet has a separate slot behind the credit card/drivers license area, but it's a separate section.

I understand what you're saying, it fits in my wallet. My only point was addressing why they don't make it the same universal size they use for every other state issued ID and license so it could literally fit behind the DL (as in back to back touching) since in our county we need to hand both when stopped by a LEO.

You are correct, it's no big deal, just curious that they made it an oddball size. Others were wondering the same, and even others were Photoshopping theirs to reduce the size to fit in the normal area that the CDL or credit card would go instead of behind it.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM

IIRC the current license was designed in the 30's and has not changed since. There were obviously no Visa cards back then. If you look at a DL from that era it appears to have a similar dimension as the current LTC.

Quote:
I don't think you understand what I was saying. My state issued drivers license, my state issued contractors license, a state issued ID card, a credit card, an lunch card from a local restaurant, etc. are all the same basic size. They will all fit in the credit card slot of a normal wallet, or the drivers license slot with the clear plastic window.

This permit will not. This was brought up by other members who wondered the same thing, and then we got on the "reducing the size and re-laminating" deal so it would be the same size.

When you say "Again, a single fold of the permit fits the permit perfectly behind a CDL." that makes me believe that by folding it in half it's the same size or smaller than a CDL, which is NOT true in my case. Folded in half will NOT let me put it behind my CDL in the same slot with a clear window that the CDL is in. It WILL let me put it behind my CDL in a different section, either where the money is or if your wallet has a separate slot behind the credit card/drivers license area, but it's a separate section.

I understand what you're saying, it fits in my wallet. My only point was addressing why they don't make it the same universal size they use for every other state issued ID and license so it could literally fit behind the DL (as in back to back touching) since in our county we need to hand both when stopped by a LEO.

You are correct, it's no big deal, just curious that they made it an oddball size. Others were wondering the same, and even others were Photoshopping theirs to reduce the size to fit in the normal area that the CDL or credit card would go instead of behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 06-08-2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Same as mine, my dimensions were of the permit unfolded. Where did you get a wallet that handles a 4" wide permit? I went to Kohls and looked at everything they had, they're all the same slots. My contractors license, drivers license, and every other membership card, lunch card, credit card is one size, this is 1/2" wider and will not fit the standard slots in a standard wallet.
I bought my wallet at Wilsons Leather in the Folsom Premium Outlets. It was 15 bucks if I remember correctly.

This wallet isn't a folder type wallet. There's two credit card slots along with an elastic band for cash on the front. The back has an ID/CDL clear plastic slot. In the middle is another larger slot that is the same dimensions of the overall wallet. My LTC goes in the larger slot and barely fits after some slight trimming around the edges of the LTC with scissors.

Here's a pic.

Last edited by SacTown; 06-08-2013 at 8:48 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Exactly. And if one folds that bad boy in half, it fits perfectly behind a CDL. Easy as that.

I don't even trim mine since it's getting folded anyway.
Old 06-09-2013, 4:02 PM

I got my first California CCW permit in 1990 and they don't seem to have changed since then. Back then, the staff at the S/O would type the weapon info on the back side (if you had more than 3 or 4 guns) so you couldn't laminate them.

I think Stanislaus Co. is producing a credit-card-style CCW and they give you both it and the paper one, since the paper one is technically the only "legal" state document.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 PM

Correct. The back of the SSD issued permit has info for up to three firearms, thumbprint, and a legal notice of your permit's validity around alcohol, and to show/notify LEOs during a contact when armed. Although I have not had a contact, I will always present the card and/or notify the LEO during a contact. It's the more prudent thing to do.
Old 06-12-2013, 7:06 PM

Had my final/issuance appointment with Sac County today and left with permit in hand (wallet). They folded the paper in half and laminated it. I folded it in half and slipped it in behind my CDL.
Old 06-22-2013, 8:33 PM

Does anyone know if this applies for remodifications? Like adding a gun?

Will the hand the permit in hand too? Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.
Old 06-23-2013, 6:26 AM

Thanks ...
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Old 06-23-2013, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

be happy that they aren't issued on "official ID" looking cards. it would likely require some stupid law to be written addressing it and would open up new scrutiny on the ltc subject.

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 06-26-2013, 1:38 PM
CGN Contributor

Was handed LTC on the spot at renewal appointment yesterday. Nice not having to wait for certified mail...
Old 06-26-2013, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did an address change on mine yesterday for Sac County, and they said to wait for the laminating machine to warm up so they could give me my modified CCW before I left...!

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 06-26-2013, 7:48 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Damn, that is nice. I'm on my first renewal. Pain in the *** going to the P.O. both times to sign for certified mail.
Old 06-27-2013, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Pain in the *** going to the P.O. both times to sign for certified mail.
But ironically humorous in that you can't carry a concealed weapon into the facility to pick up your license to carry a concealed weapon.