Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-27-2013, 8:01 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Challenge Coins?

Was anybody else into challenge coins? Unit, mission, or otherwise?

Post'em if you got'em!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I always carry one in my wallet. I only have 12 or so. Mostly from units I was in, and a couple given to me as a guberment contractor for units I did work for. The one I carry in my wallet is an Air Force Top Three (senior NCO's) coin.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM

I traveled for three years as an instructor and was given coins by several students.
Old 05-28-2013, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

A few of us in my former unit have [current] POTUS coins (from Ft. Hood incident). I personally don't carry coins, never had a desire to collect them either.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM

I had five at one point but gave them to lower enlisted when I got out. I had one from the 4ID ADSM at a field problem when we are Blue force. While OPFOR was getting chow I sneaked into their area and stole a leaders book. HAd there info and serial numbers and was considered intel and got a coin. I assume they got an a** chewing for it. And at one time the 4ID SGM gave me a "Presidential Coin" IT was a penny, he thought it was hilarious.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM

I've got probably a couple dozen coins (including a CalGuns coin). My highest ranking coin was a CNO coin from Vern Clark about 10 years ago. My room-mate has a GW innaguration coin, so I lose.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM

I am a civilian and I have been given a few coins. One is from an LTC and the other was from a full bird (shown above). The third was a firefighter coin for a large fire I was on a few years ago.

BK
Old 05-28-2013, 1:06 PM

I have two one-star coins from winning boards. 1st Marine Aircraft Wing and Marine Corps Installations West Commanding Generals. I don't carry them around because I believe in buying people beers anyways.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-28-2013, 1:20 PM

My coin is always in my pocket, the .45 won't fit.

Old 05-28-2013, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

I got one from Gen. Odierno back in '07 in the parking lot of the Green Zone PX, one of my buddies spot corrected his CSM for wearing yellow lenses in his eye pro, it impressed the heck out of both of them, we all got coined for it.
Old 05-28-2013, 4:44 PM
AFreePeopleOughtToBeArmed

Thumbs up

I was lucky to have been able to travel and work security for various commands and detachments. Here is a few of the ones I was able to find.

Last edited by SoulStealer; 05-28-2013 at 4:57 PM.. Reason: Added more coins.
Old 05-28-2013, 6:30 PM

I received 2 during Desert Storm and added a few more over the years. I think I have 8 in total now.
SASS Life Member
American Legion Member

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 05-28-2013, 7:33 PM

I have a few, mostly unit or program coins.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Ive got a few. My two favorites are the ones I actually earned- a 2CR regimental commander coin for being distinguished honor grad in WLC and an Army Recruiting School coin for getting DH in recruiter school. Ive gotten a few BOSS coins too. Ill try to post pics tomorrow. The 2CR coin is both huge and shiny.
Ive thought about having my own made up to give privates when they get shafted out of recognition.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:12 PM

I was never really a fan of coins, mainly for the reason that you had to be at the right place, at the right time. In Iraq, I used to rotate a few soldiers through the TOC so they would get coins when "Higher Ups" visited. Always seemed like enlisted had better coins too. I remember some CSM had a coin that was about 2-3 inches wide and about a 1/4 inch thick, the General Petraeus coin was a tiny little shield. I did however, keep a Ka-bar pocket knife that some random 4th ID CSM gave me instead of a coin.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:09 PM
CGN Contributor

I have some; keep them at work. I used to belong in a unit where we would get challenged often at the bars, so I got in a habit carrying that specific's unit coin. Don't routinely carry one unless I'm at a cantina, but this one is the exception:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130329_152118.jpg (92.2 KB, 654 views)
Support your resource! Become a Calguns Contributor!

Last edited by roll2li; 05-29-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 9:47 PM

Those are so awesome, SoulStealer..
And everyone else.
Thank you all for everything you do.

Has anyone been through DLI/NPS, and went to compagnos deli?
My boss has TONS of stuff, hats, shirts, uniforms, etc, that people have given him over the years. I love being able to look at it daily.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulStealer View Post
I was lucky to have been able to travel and work security for various commands and detachments. Here is a few of the ones I was able to find.

What year did you get your CNL coin? I was an instructor in Coronado from 2003-2006
Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 AM

True story... I was deployed to Okinawa on a UDP back in 2002/03 and our battalion commander got pissed drunk. One of the marines from a recon unit pulled out a coin to challenged the Lt Col... Lt Col pulled out his privates and says to the recon marines... Don't have my coin but I have this.... He got relieved the very next day.

Last edited by crazyucbr; 05-30-2013 at 12:57 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 7:38 AM

Never got into coins, but was got them. In active duty I got like 3, the highest a 1 or 2 star. When I got deployed with the guard I got a crap load... The highest being from the general incharge of national guard bureau and his CSM in DC. I have the bag of coins somewhere.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:59 AM
AFreePeopleOughtToBeArmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
Those are so awesome, SoulStealer..
And everyone else.
Thank you all for everything you do.

Has anyone been through DLI/NPS, and went to compagnos deli?
My boss has TONS of stuff, hats, shirts, uniforms, etc, that people have given him over the years. I love being able to look at it daily.
Thank You. I was very fortunate to work for some great commands.

All of my service was East Coast based or overseas, never made it up to Monterey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
What year did you get your CNL coin? I was an instructor in Coronado from 2003-2006
I believe the year was 2001?? I attended Naval Leadership in Dam Neck, VA. That was the base I also received all of my weapons and tactics training before shipping out. Time of my Life!
Old 05-31-2013, 6:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have collected over 50, but its just about being in the right place at the right time. I have one from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 05-31-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
Was anybody else into challenge coins? Unit, mission, or otherwise?
I was on active duty in the 70s, National Guard in the 80s. I really do not remember anyone with challenge coins until after 9/11. Did we have them in the Viet Nam era?
Old 07-03-2013, 6:52 PM

I only have two. One is from SMA Raymond Chandler today's top EM. Best I can do, but I'm not apologizing. S
Old 07-03-2013, 9:08 PM

I collect them but local law enforcement is the majority of collection. I think they're cool, they rarely leave the individual cases fun to handle kinda like baseball cards.
Old 07-03-2013, 9:27 PM

I have a few from my time in the Army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372912001506.jpg (31.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372912016618.jpg (22.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372912030583.jpg (18.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM

This is the part of my collection that I keep in my office at work...

Left to right (Top to Bottom as well) they are: Joint Readiness Training Center Commander's coin - given in lieu of an AAM I was written up for.

West Point c/o 2006 Contracting Coin - "Never Falter, Never Quit"

2-4 Infantry OIF 2007-2009, Combat Deployment

509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, CSM coin, given in lieu of AAM

4th Brigade, 10th Mountain Division - "Battlefield Excellence" - Baghdad, Iraq

BG Patrick Maney, General's Coin, given for excellence. At the time, he was Brigade commander for 350th CA/Psyops Brigade, USASOC. He was most recently Deputy Director of the US Army Special Warefare Center, and he is the highest ranking soldier to be wounded in action in Afghanistan.

Last edited by jmsenk; 07-13-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Old 07-14-2013, 4:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
I was on active duty in the 70s, National Guard in the 80s. I really do not remember anyone with challenge coins until after 9/11. Did we have them in the Viet Nam era?
They have been around since WWI.

The story of their origin was a WWI pilot, son of a wealthy businessman, had medallions made with his squadron emblem on them for all the pilots. One of the pilots was shot down and captured by the Germans. He was stripped of his uniform but they let him keep his medallion. He escaped and made his way back into allied territory. The French captured him and were going to shoot him as a spy. They didn't speak English and he didn't speak French. He flashed them his medallion and one of the French soldiers recognized the squadron emblem. He was returned safely to his unit. This started the tradition amongst pilot of ensuring that you always had your "medallion" with you. The medallion soon became a coin.

I got my first challenge coin in the early 80s.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 07-14-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
They have been around since WWI.

The story of their origin was a WWI pilot, son of a wealthy businessman, had medallions made with his squadron emblem on them for all the pilots. One of the pilots was shot down and captured by the Germans. He was stripped of his uniform but they let him keep his medallion. He escaped and made his way back into allied territory. The French captured him and were going to shoot him as a spy. They didn't speak English and he didn't speak French. He flashed them his medallion and one of the French soldiers recognized the squadron emblem. He was returned safely to his unit. This started the tradition amongst pilot of ensuring that you always had your "medallion" with you. The medallion soon became a coin.

I got my first challenge coin in the early 80s.
Very cool. I never knew the story behind the coins, but I knew that the old timers have had them since way back in the day, and alot of units take a lot of pride in them.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsenk View Post
Very cool. I never knew the story behind the coins, but I knew that the old timers have had them since way back in the day, and alot of units take a lot of pride in them.
Lots of interesting history from the World Wars. I am the historian for my squadron. This is where our squadron patch came from. It was painted on the instructor pilots aircraft. The skull and crossbones is on our squadron challenge coin.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

The highest I have is one I was given by SACEUR/USAREUR back in 2006 when I was medivaced from Iraq to Landstul. He and his wife came and visted the hospital for 4th of July weekend, there were a few Congressmen too but no one important. I also got a hug from the Generals wife. Got my Purple Heart Coin after we landed in Bethesda. Have my Shellback coin from 2009 MEU and Got a Seal Team 2 one from the seals that supported us in 2006. Other than that have the normal unit coins and MC Ball freebie coins.

I got a cool Coinbox when I left the Marine Det at Ft Sill to PCS back to the Fleet, actually put my coins in it after I retired LOL
Old 08-04-2013, 7:33 PM
CGN Contributor

75-81 tween wars, no coins, no glory.
A Good Conduct ribbon, Atta boy, fetch the stick!
Bought one
Old 08-05-2013, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

I've got tons. I'll post pics when I get home.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 08-06-2013, 2:09 PM

Talking My small coin collection...

Here are some I have earned and been given by organizations which I've worked for and by good people I have known:

Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 08-06-2013, 2:15 PM

I have a few that are in a box with my other random military things. I have no desire to "collect" them or display them as some people do. My last boss that 15-20 or so, he bought the majority of them, which I thought was pretty lame.

I have a few patches from other agencies I've done training with/through/for and hold those higher than the coins I've gotten.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-06-2013, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

I always picked up a unit coin when I PCS'd. My favorite is my U2 coin from Al Dhafra.

I don't carry one around anymore.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Picture came out more blurry than I expected, but this is what I have at work.

Last edited by Artema; 12-24-2015 at 7:49 PM..
Old 08-08-2013, 3:57 PM

I've got a few, probably 3 or 4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II came with a coin which I thought was unnecessary but if someone challenged me I could whip it out and say "I got a coin for saving the world, now YOU buy ME a drink!"

Definitely going to use money and call it a 'Presidential Coin" too, that's funny
Old 08-08-2013, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

I have a few, my favorite one is an Air Force coin with a bottle opener in the middle

I'll try and get a picture when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 08-08-2013, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post
I have a few, my favorite one is an Air Force coin with a bottle opener in the middle

I'll try and get a picture when I get home.
haha, my mobile crew coin is like that.