Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 05-24-2013, 8:23 PM

Default legal handgun magizine capacity in ca?

new guy here

i just bought a ruger p95 used with no mags,and now im looking to buy some.i understand the limit for citizens is 10 rounds.

the gun is mine and my fathers who is a peace officer(prison guard) its in his name because im only 19,since its in my dads name can i use 15 round magazines and not get in trouble if i were shooting without him?

thanks dean
Old 05-24-2013, 8:25 PM

these are the magazines i plan on buying btw

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=343796514
Old 05-24-2013, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

No Dean you can't. Spend some time researching the stickies here. Lots of info.
Your fathers peace officer exemptions apply to him and him alone. You also posted this in the wrong forum. Lots of reading "here" and attention to details will help you navigate the site.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM

ok thank you
Old 05-31-2013, 4:27 PM

Old 05-31-2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
the gun is mine and my fathers who is a peace officer(prison guard) its in his name because im only 19,since its in my dads name can i use 15 round magazines and not get in trouble if i were shooting without him?
Just a note...

If it's in your fathers name, then it's his. It's an important legal point. Till your of legal age you can't own a handgun. Your father is not a "straw buyer" on your behalf.

He, being a leo can shoot it with the mags of his choice. If you go with him to the range you can shoot the gun with him using whatever you have available.

Till your 21 I'd be hecka cautious about shooting your father's pistol in any way that might reflect poorly on him. Talk it over with him some.

tipoc
Old 05-31-2013, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

A person can not buy a handgun until they are 21, but their parents can buy them one and transfer it to them using the intrafamilial transfer form from the CA DOJ. An HSC card is needed. This means that a person 18-21 can actually own a handgun.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM

dean93,

Check with your local FFL and discuss it with your father.

tipoc
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

A FFL is not required to transfer a firearm from father to son.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-01-2013, 5:55 PM

Kemasa,

Excuse me if I don't know the latest deals.

I was suggesting that the dean93 work together with his father on the questions regarding the paperwork involved in the ownership matter as well as the magazine issue. It would give them an opportunity to discuss the question he raised here as well as work together on it.

As you pointed out an HSC card may be needed so I was suggesting that a good place to do that is at your local gun store. Both to pick up the pamphlet to study the questions prior to taking the test and to take the test. Far as I know you can't take the test or show the safe gun handling part online or by sending in a video or going to the DMV. So the local gunatorium (FFL) is, in my opinion a good place for that. It also gives a person a chance to get more familiar with the folks who work there which is always useful in my experience. Maybe there is a way to do those things by mail or online, I frankly don't know.

I do think that dean93 has already been working with his folks closely on these things, getting his first handgun, and that continuing to do so is a good course of action. Whenever I went to a gun store with my father it was a good experience, I believe it has been and hope it will continue to be for dean93 as well.

But on the other hand if it can all be done by mail or online then a fella could avoid the time with his father or the being at a gun store.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; 06-01-2013 at 5:58 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
As you pointed out an HSC card may be needed so I was suggesting that a good place to do that is at your local gun store.
Yes, the HSC needs to be done at a FFL, but the FFL may not be familiar with the intrafamilial form and due to that, they may get incorrect information.

Quote:
Both to pick up the pamphlet to study the questions prior to taking the test and to take the test.
The pamphlet can be downloaded for free from the CA DOJ web site, which is better option. Yes, they would have to take the test at a FFL, but some FFLs won't issue the HSC unless they are selling a firearm or doing a transfer.

Quote:
Far as I know you can't take the test or show the safe gun handling part online or by sending in a video or going to the DMV.
An intrafamlial transfer does not require the safe handling demonstration. For all you know, he might already have a HSC card.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm apologize Kemasa, I was trying to teach you to sing.

tipoc
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

To buy, 10; build, 10.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
I'm apologize Kemasa, I was trying to teach you to sing.
No, you were being stupid and trying to attack, but you don't have enough of a clue to know when to keep quiet and you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain