Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 9:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Well, they ARE scary looking.
I always thought muzzle breaks looked a lot scarier than flash hiders. I think it's because "flash hiders" sound scary, like "sniper scopes" and "barrel shrouds".
Old 05-20-2013, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

For what it is able to do I think a muzzle brake is an amazing little addition to an AR, but I just don't really like them because they can be extremely loud Especially for .308!
Old 05-20-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For muzzle brake. I don't care about flash suppression.
Yep, for an AR, Surefire usually gets my money for a brake. I don't use flash hiders.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 05-20-2013, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
For what it is able to do I think a muzzle brake is an amazing little addition to an AR, but I just don't really like them because they can be extremely loud Especially for .308!
I imagine i'm not very popular at the range. :P But at least when im punching paper i'm prone so it's not THAT bad to those next to me. :P

My Larue OBR 7.62 with surefire brake is LOUD... if you stand next to it, it can blow your sunglasses off. :P
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 05-20-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
I imagine i'm not very popular at the range. :P But at least when im punching paper i'm prone so it's not THAT bad to those next to me. :P

My Larue OBR 7.62 with surefire brake is LOUD... if you stand next to it, it can blow your sunglasses off. :P
I was sitting next to a guy like you on Saturday. His AR was racking my bones. I heard his **** from the interstate.
Old 05-20-2013, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Oh how I enjoy shooting next to the guy with the extremely loud muzzle brake! I always blame my flyers on him
Old 05-20-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Oh how I enjoy shooting next to the guy with the extremely loud muzzle brake! I always blame my flyers on him
Shoot at his target and blame it on the noise making you flinch.
Old 05-20-2013, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So bottom line, it's either a flash hider or a brake.... or if you live in a free state, a brake with a can.
^^^^
This

Probably the best use of a muzzle brake: As an attachment point for a suppressor. The only way to really get the best of both worlds for recoil reduction and flash suppression.
Old 05-20-2013, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep, for an AR, Surefire usually gets my money for a brake. I don't use flash hiders.
Ops Inc. 12th is a pretty good brake as well if you are looking for the ability to run a can at some point. Only downside is that it requires a specific SPR or M4 barrel contour to accomodate the collar. (Longer collar is required for the M4 than the SPR).
Old 05-20-2013, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Hehe sorry folks... I often shoot at higher magnification so the brake helps me stay on target so i can see the splash.

Anyhow... think of it as practice... just imagine I'm lady Marian and you're Robin Hood... and I'm softly blowing in your ear to try and get you to miss.

Well... except I look more like Bubba and the soft blow is the shockwave of a high powered cartridge exploding into your earpro. :P

Last edited by HK Dave; 05-20-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Ops Inc. 12th is a pretty good brake as well if you are looking for the ability to run a can at some point. Only downside is that it requires a specific SPR or M4 barrel contour to accomodate the collar. (Longer collar is required for the M4 than the SPR).
Hmm I do have an SPR barrel on my precision AR... maybe it's time for the OPS INC. I sure do find it sexy looking.

PS. BTW, I do want my guns to be pretty as well as functional but i'm just gay like that

PSS. By gay I mean HAPPY kind of gay, not the crossing swords kind of gay.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM

In general, it's not about "I can't handle the recoil." It's about muzzle raise & follow up shots. Don't jump the gun and call everyone's stupid for buying a muzzle brake.

As for myself, I just love the loud noise it generate. It keeps people from shooting next to me in close proxmity. It always work.

Last edited by masayako; 05-20-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masayako View Post
In general, it's not about "I can't handle the recoil." It's about muzzle raise & follow up shots. Don't jump the gun and call everyone's stupid for buying a muzzle brake.

As for myself, I just love the loud noise it generate. It keeps people from shooting next to me in close proxmity. It always work.
I did not, and would never call somebody stupid for buying a muzzle brake.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

I just put a brake on my 308 bolt action. Before, I couldnt see the splash even at 550yds,

Now I can see the impact at 300 yds. My rifle is heavy and recoil was never an issue. My GF loves shooting that rifle even unbraked. It absolutely helps see the impact and staying on target, which leads to faster followup shots.

Same thing with a 223. Naturally there is far less rise on that little wimpy round, but there is still muzzle rise. A decent brake cancels that out.

Anyone interested in good quality inexpensive brakes- google "schuler brakes". That's what I just put on my 308 and I'm very pleased. Can't beat the cost for a heck of an effective brake.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM

For the "featureless" crowd, isn't a brake or thread protector the only option?

Yea or nay?

Respectfully
Kyle
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Kyle that is correct according to current law. That could all change in the next year if we don't fight for our rights in this broken state.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Surefire usually gets my money.
Amen brother.

Surefire of PWS. Both in my honest opinion give the same performance. One may just look more professional while the other gives that Fear factor
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3thodBombZ View Post
Amen brother.

Surefire of PWS. Both in my honest opinion give the same performance. One may just look more professional while the other gives that Fear factor
Surefire brakes are seriously pricey. Worth it?
Old 05-20-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
I haven't figured out why people buy $50+ muzzle brakes for their ARs. If recoil is too much for someone with a .223 then you have bigger issues. Flash suppression? For what? Don't want to blind the coyotes or your range mates?

If just for looks, then I can understand the appeal.
I think regardless of why people say they have a certain one vs the other, the real reason is because (for the most part) they like the way it looks. I learned to put rounds on target with the standard brake and I have tried some of the fancier ones, but to be honest with you, they all feel the same to me. Along those same lines.. I shoot the same with a standard trigger vs a fancy Geissele trigger. But what ever....
Old 05-20-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
I like SF and use brakes but the Stag brakes work just as good and only cost $25.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Worth it to "me", but that doesn't mean it's worth it to anyone else. In comparison to how much ammo I shoot, a $120 brake is inconsequential.

Now if you shoot 100 rounds once a year (not saying that you do but if this is what someone does), the $120 brake would be stupidly expensive. :P

I have a buddy that used to have a cheap Yankee brake and it began to dissolve after a year of repeated use...

Course... he is a marine and you know what they say about marines...

Put a marine in a padded room with two steel balls and when you come back you'll find one ball crushed, and the other one nowhere to be found.... the marine will of course say he has no idea what happened.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kyle that is correct according to current law. That could all change in the next year if we don't fight for our rights in this broken state.
Kind of rhetorical and not entirely directed to you personally, but at some point, fighting for your rights can and sometimes should involve the taking of people's lives who are actively working to strip you of said rights.

The fact that people in California happily compromise with featureless builds and compliance with other ridiculous laws is testament at least to me that the only amount of fighting the vast majority of Americans are willing to do anymore is the kind that makes them feel better for prolonging their acceptance of an inevitable tyranny for as long as they remain unwilling to match force with force.

No amount of voting or writing ones representatives at this point is going to stop the complete disarmament of the average American citizen.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Kind of rhetorical and not entirely directed to you personally, but at some point, fighting for your rights can and sometimes should involve the taking of people's lives who are actively working to strip you of said rights.

The fact that people in California happily compromise with featureless builds and compliance with other ridiculous laws is testament at least to me that the only amount of fighting the vast majority of Americans are willing to do anymore is the kind that makes them feel better for prolonging their acceptance of an inevitable tyranny for as long as they remain unwilling to match force with force.

No amount of voting or writing ones representatives at this point is going to stop the complete disarmament of the average American citizen.
I don't disagree with you, but just so you know...

We do featureless builds for 3-gun. We can then discard the bullet button and use our legally owned 30+round magazines. It's a range rule - not just a law.

A flash hider is an evil feature - just like a pistol grip or an adjustable stock.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Worth it to "me", but that doesn't mean it's worth it to anyone else. In comparison to how much ammo I shoot, a $120 brake is inconsequential.

Now if you shoot 100 rounds once a year (not saying that you do but if this is what someone does), the $120 brake would be stupidly expensive. :P

I have a buddy that used to have a cheap Yankee brake and it began to dissolve after a year of repeated use...

Course... he is a marine and you know what they say about marines...

Put a marine in a padded room with two steel balls and when you come back you'll find one ball crushed, and the other one nowhere to be found.... the marine will of course say he has no idea what happened.
LOL...

Well, THIS Marine shoots 100 rounds before b-fast on any given weekend.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I agree with you and I know your statement wasn't directed towards me... but I wanted to mention that we're behind enemy lines brother... we're outnumbered 10000 to 1 in California. The California congress has an anti-gun super majority. When the rest of the country is pro-gun, I think the easier choice is to move to a free state instead of killing people.

If the entirety of our country turned tyrannical... I'd understand the idea of rising up in defiance of the loss of freedom... but when its just a few states crazy states, I think blood would send the wrong message and could actually work against us.

I recognize that what I'm saying could entirely be in line with what you said is wrong with us... but I guess my point is... I don't feel that I am hampered enough to want to kill folks over it. :P

Last edited by HK Dave; 05-20-2013 at 1:59 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:

^^^^^^^^ Exactly right.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL...

Well, THIS Marine shoots 100 rounds before b-fast on any given weekend.
Then get the quality kit, it'll last longer... despite you being a marine.

I've always found the argument of "cost" vs "reward" when it comes to guns, to be kind of a silly thing. Frankly, if a person is shooting a good amount of ammo every year, a $50 difference in a gun part kind of means nothing in comparison.

So when someone argues that mil spec bolt this, mil spec barrel that is worth the extra $50... once has to wonder whether that person would ever shoot enough ammo to notice the difference.

Now when the price difference is in the hundreds or thousands, I get it... that money could go towards ammo, travel, food etc...

Anyhow... I always say this to folks... if you can afford the ammo to shoot your gun... the cost of the gun shouldn't matter.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and I know your statement wasn't directed towards me... but I wanted to mention that we're behind enemy lines brother... we're outnumbered 10000 to 1 in California. The California congress has an anti-gun super majority. When the rest of the country is pro-gun, I think the easier choice is to move to a free state instead of killing people.

If the entirety of our country turned tyrannical... I'd understand the idea of rising up in defiance of the loss of freedom... but when its just a few states crazy states, I think blood would send the wrong message.

Interestingly, we ASSUME that we're outnumbered. I don't think we are. We're just not as organized as we should be and that allows the vocal minority to take control. We give up one state and we give up all of them. They use the "enemy" states as proof of progress to pick apart the remaining free states. The line has already been crossed.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Then get the quality kit, it'll last longer... despite you being a marine.

I've always found the argument of "cost" vs "reward" when it comes to guns, to be kind of a silly thing. Frankly, if a person is shooting a good amount of ammo every year, a $50 difference in a gun part kind of means nothing in comparison.

So when someone argues that mil spec bolt this, mil spec barrel that is worth the extra $50... once has to wonder whether that person would ever shoot enough ammo to notice the difference.

Now when the price difference is in the hundreds or thousands, I get it... that money could go towards ammo, travel, food etc...

Anyhow... I always say this to folks... if you can afford the ammo to shoot your gun... the cost of the gun shouldn't matter.
Well, if price were a good indicator of quality, then some folks have some seriously indestructible rifles.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:03 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It isn't that 223 has too much recoil, but why not reduce it anyways?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520
Old 05-20-2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
It isn't that 223 has too much recoil, but why not reduce it anyways?
Recoil builds character.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Recoil builds character.
Or an un-curable flinch.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Or an un-curable flinch.
I only flinch when I'm getting shot at. Sue me.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think the OP is a marine.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:58 PM

Brakes : reduce recoil

Compensators : increase muzzle control

Flash Hiders : reduce flash signature

Most muzzle devices do a little bit of all three attributes. Some more than others.

Surefire MB556 is a great brake that does compensate for muzzle rise, but doesn't reduce flash signature.

Battlecomps 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 do a bit of each and also don't have as much lateral muzzle blast.

A2 flashider really only reduces flash signature.

If you don't believe in flash hiders, try shooting at night. If the flash signature is big enough, your night vision will get shot out and it'll take you a while before you will be able to find your target between shots.

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 05-20-2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
I did not, and would never call somebody stupid for buying a muzzle brake.

"I haven't figured out why people buy $50+ muzzle brakes for their ARs."
>>> This imply either us people are stupid (to spend that money) or you are not intelligent enough to understand the reasoning

"If just for looks, then I can understand the appeal."
"Title: Aftermarket muzzle brakes are just eye candy"

>>> These 2 sentences imply we are buying it for looks (which pisses me off)

Hope I clarify here.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:45 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I love my eye candy because as a bonus it reduces muzzle rise and recoil
AR #1: BCM4, 556 Tactical EVO 15, Rainier XTC. PICTURES AND PROGRESS
Old 05-20-2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I haven't figured out why people buy $50+ muzzle brakes for their ARs. If recoil is too much for someone with a .223 then you have bigger issues. Flash suppression? For what? Don't want to blind the coyotes or your range mates?

If just for looks, then I can understand the appeal.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5&postcount=24
Quote:
I've owned Sig pistols and rifles over the past 30 years and I have never had more reliable firearms. Making a general statement that Sigs are defective and they don't stand behind their product is irresponsible. They're more expensive than most for a reason.
Why don't you own Glock pistols instead? They are much cheaper than Sig, more reliable, just as accurate... I haven't figured out why people buy $900+ pistols when a $450 pistol works just as well. Just for looks I suppose.

I put a battle comp on my AR because I wanted to.

As a former Marine that qualified expert (with a 238), I can tell you that who the hell cares what people put on their gun. As long as it isn't set up in a useless way (having front and rear sights 2 inches apart on a full length rail, eotech behind an aimpoint behind a barska scope...), there is no reason to care.

Buy me some parts for my gun and I will take your opinion into consideration.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souper View Post
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5&postcount=24

Why don't you own Glock pistols instead? They are much cheaper than Sig, more reliable, just as accurate... I haven't figured out why people buy $900+ pistols when a $450 pistol works just as well. Just for looks I suppose.

I put a battle comp on my AR because I wanted to.

As a former Marine that qualified expert (with a 238), I can tell you that who the hell cares what people put on their gun. As long as it isn't set up in a useless way (having front and rear sights 2 inches apart on a full length rail, eotech behind an aimpoint behind a barska scope...), there is no reason to care.

Buy me some parts for my gun and I will take your opinion into consideration.
Given that you think that Glocks are somehow equal to Sigs in both performance and reliability would lead me to believe that anything for your opinion would be too high a price, former Marine or not.
Closed Thread