Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:43 AM

Default def

ffe

Last edited by newguy83; 11-04-2013 at 1:13 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 5:51 AM
Banned

1) 55 or 62gr ammo is fine to use.
2) I would avoid using steel cased ammo and go for Lake City or Winchester White Box ammo (or any other NC brass ammo)
3) your rifle can use both 556 and 223 (if 556 is stamped on the receiver/barrel).
4) ammo has been hovering around the $1/round but has been coming down
5)what kind of defense? 556/223 is not a good home defense round unless you live in a sparsely populated area
6)an accu-wedge. they're cheap and clean up any slop/wobble between upper/lower. maybe an AFG or grip upfront?
7)I use an Otis cleaning kit for mine. avoid any solvents that may damage the finish
8)do: break the barrel in and clean your weapon after each range trip. do: practice safe operating procedures and read the owner's manual
9)practice and become familiar with the AR platform. all piston driven ARs are proprietary (just something to keep in mind).

enjoy
Old 05-20-2013, 5:57 AM

Look no further noob!

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493

Welcome!
Old 05-20-2013, 5:58 AM

Basically just look at AR15s FAQs. You'll be reading for a few years before your finished.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:20 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paper Pimp View Post
2) I would avoid using steel cased ammo and go for Lake City or Winchester White Box ammo (or any other NC brass ammo)
3) your rifle can use both 556 and 223 (if 556 is stamped on the receiver/barrel).
5)what kind of defense? 556/223 is not a good home defense round unless you live in a sparsely populated area
6)an accu-wedge. they're cheap and clean up any slop/wobble between upper/lower. maybe an AFG or grip upfront?
7)I use an Otis cleaning kit for mine. avoid any solvents that may damage the finish
8)do: break the barrel in and clean your weapon after each range trip. do: practice safe operating procedures and read the owner's manual
9)practice and become familiar with the AR platform. all piston driven ARs are proprietary (just something to keep in mind).

enjoy
This.

Also, since we're dealing with a Gas Piston system, I would invest in a PWS buffer tube for AR's (not the model for 416) for carrier tilt prevention. Other than that, the LMT is Good To Go.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
This.

Also, since we're dealing with a Gas Piston system, I would invest in a PWS buffer tube for AR's (not the model for 416) for carrier tilt prevention. Other than that, the LMT is Good To Go.
what do you mean by carrier tilt prevention? how does a pistol system create that?

and how does a PWS buffer tube prevent it?
Old 05-20-2013, 2:44 PM

LMT pistons are trash. You should regift it to me. Lol. I've have a 16" piston and 12" piston pistol. Love them. I've always been a fan of Lmt aside from their weight.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Isn't 5.56 tested to have lower penetration than 00 buck and pistol caliber rounds?
Old 05-20-2013, 3:11 PM
Banned

maybe frangible ammo, but I wouldn't use that either. I prefer 00 buck or 357
Old 05-20-2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:

enjoy
so you say 55-62 is fine, but in the ar15.com link it says:

Twist So, rifle barrels have "rifling" in them. These are lands (high spots) and grooves (low spots) which run the length of the barrel. The lands engage a bullet and give it spin as it travels down the barrel, just like a quarterback puts spin on a football. The rate at which the bullet spins is determined by its speed as it travels down the barrel, and the rate at which the lands twist in the barrel. The twist is listed as "one in x" were x is the number of inches the bullet must travel down the barrel to complete a single revolution. Early ARs had 1:12 twist (1 revolution every 12 inches). However, as bullet design evolved, bullets became heavier and longer. Longer, heavier projectiles require faster twists in order to stabilize them. If they do not spin fast enough, they wobble as they go downrange, and you lose accuracy. If all you want to do is launch 45 grain bullets at prairie dogs with your rifle, you can get away with a 1:12 twist. Actually, the 1:12 will probably work up to 55 grain bullets. Most ARs sold these days are 1:9 or faster twists. The 1:9 will stabilize 55-69 grain bullets, and may sometimes stabilize 75s depending on the rifle. A 1:8 or 1:7 will stabilize 77 grain and up bullets. This is important if you intend to shoot at very long ranges where the ballistic coefficient of these bullets is really needed, or if you want to shoot the heavier Black Hills or Hornady ammunition which performs near or at the top for self defense. You need to decide what you want to do with your rifle from the start so you know what twist you will need.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolax25 View Post
Isn't 5.56 tested to have lower penetration than 00 buck and pistol caliber rounds?
Whoa?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy83 View Post
so you say 55-62 is fine, but in the ar15.com link it says:
Your LMT MRP can safely and accurately handle just about ANY grain .223/5.56mm round.

From 40 grain TAP all the way up to 80 grain (which is too long to fit into the magazine well is has to be shot one at a time).

A new LMT MRP Piston usually comes with their enhanced bolt carrier which minimizes carrier tilt (so no need to change anything out).

Enjoy

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy83 View Post
what do you mean by carrier tilt prevention? how does a pistol system create that?

and how does a PWS buffer tube prevent it?
Do a google on "gas piston carrier tilt" and you will get a lot of links that can explain it better.

Of course, it's my recommendation and it's your choice to take it or leave it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
yea theres no way that 5.56 penetrates more than 00 buck.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 PM

target 223 and 556 is not 1 dollar a round. even LC 556 is not a dollar a round. If it is, you should not be buying it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I would not use frangible ammo for home defense, it's designed for shooting steel plates and discentigrate. Frangible ammo will go thru dry wall/house like butter till it hits something solid ... XM193 is good home def round
Old 05-21-2013, 4:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1. I had an LMT CQB piston, and found that it fired most rounds just fine - I used everything from XM193 55gr, to Match grade black hills 77 gr, and they all shot without problems. Obviously the match grade ammo had much smaller groups at 100 yards. But the mil-spec ammo was plenty accurate. You'll have to try various rounds to see what your gun likes best.

2. Try to avoid steel cased ammo - some shooters have no problems with it, others have big problems with it. The LMT is a high quality rifle, so I'd use a decent round with it.

3. 5.56 has slightly higher pressures, but the LMT is designed to handle 5.56. (should be stamped on it).

4. Match grade ammo seems to be running around $1+ per round, mils spec is going for around 0.50 - 0.80 per. A year ago it was going for close to half of what it is now.

6. Depends on what you're going to use the gun for. Tiny groups at long distances? Tactical training classes? fun at the indoor range? Add ons should be mission specific.

8. Throw a little lube on it, and it's ready to go. Piston guns don't need a lot of lube, and are very easy to clean. That being said I'd still keep the bolt and bolt carrier "wet", especially if you're going to be putting a lot of rounds downrange.

I wouldn't worry much about carrier tilt. My LMT didn't have any problems with it. Neither have any other of my piston ARs. I've seen a few instances of it in early guns with first gen systems, and with lower end guns. Not an issue with modern quality piston guns.

I'd recommend you get some training running your AR. There's a lot to learn, and it's a lot of fun!
Old 05-21-2013, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHK View Post
I wouldn't worry much about carrier tilt. My LMT didn't have any problems with it. Neither have any other of my piston ARs. I've seen a few instances of it in early guns with first gen systems, and with lower end guns. Not an issue with modern quality piston guns.

I'd recommend you get some training running your AR. There's a lot to learn, and it's a lot of fun!
If you didn't have issues with carrier tilt on GP AR's, then they are G2G, but I just like to take precautions myself. Of course, I only owned 2 different GP AR's and I sold them not because of carrier tilt: one is to upgrade to the other GP system and the other, to trim my herd due to lack of ammo as well as making contributions to pro-2A groups.

To the OP, LMT makes great quality products so you won't have to worry about it. If any issues arises, you can always contact them. If anything, I am not against LMT, as a matter of fact, I am fanboy of its products and my FAL receiver (serial prefix starting with DS) was actually made by LMT for DSA.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHK View Post
1. I had an LMT CQB piston, and found that it fired most rounds just fine - I used everything from XM193 55gr, to Match grade black hills 77 gr, and they all shot without problems. Obviously the match grade ammo had much smaller groups at 100 yards. But the mil-spec ammo was plenty accurate. You'll have to try various rounds to see what your gun likes best.

2. Try to avoid steel cased ammo - some shooters have no problems with it, others have big problems with it. The LMT is a high quality rifle, so I'd use a decent round with it.

3. 5.56 has slightly higher pressures, but the LMT is designed to handle 5.56. (should be stamped on it).

4. Match grade ammo seems to be running around $1+ per round, mils spec is going for around 0.50 - 0.80 per. A year ago it was going for close to half of what it is now.

6. Depends on what you're going to use the gun for. Tiny groups at long distances? Tactical training classes? fun at the indoor range? Add ons should be mission specific.

8. Throw a little lube on it, and it's ready to go. Piston guns don't need a lot of lube, and are very easy to clean. That being said I'd still keep the bolt and bolt carrier "wet", especially if you're going to be putting a lot of rounds downrange.

thank you
Old 05-22-2013, 7:16 AM

Accuwedge doesn't fit on lmts with defender2000 lowers, not on mine at least....