Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Good optic for .308?

Looking for a good scope with magnification for my sig 716 patrol rifle, looming to spend about 300 to 600 dollars, any ideas?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

vortex.. some say bushnell here too.

i have the vortex pst ffp (higher than your range) and a falcon menace ffp (w/in your range). i'm very happy with my vortex and shooting them back to back today, the glass quality was much higher on the vortex.

i also have a super sniper fixed 20. it's mildots with moa knobs though. whereas the 2 above, they're mil/mil

Last edited by high_revs; 05-19-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post

i have the vortex pst ffp (higher than your range) and a falcon menace ffp (w/in your range). i'm very happy with my vortex and shooting them back to back today, the glass quality was much higher on the vortex.
Ah sounds good ill take a look at them now, I can always stretch my budget a bit if its worth it, do you think an ACOG or just regular scope? Sorry I'm new to this. But thanks again man
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 PM

Depends what you'll do with your Sig. CQB, bench rifle, punching papers, etc...
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy1013 View Post
Looking for a good scope with magnification for my sig 716 patrol rifle, looming to spend about 300 to 600 dollars, any ideas?
Your price range for the scope is on the extreme cheap side of things. A rule of thumb is that your scope should cost about as much as your rifle.

Quote:
Ah sounds good ill take a look at them now, I can always stretch my budget a bit if its worth it, do you think an ACOG or just regular scope? Sorry I'm new to this. But thanks again man
For .308, get a scope, not an ACOG. As it is, ACOGs are already beyond your price point. The thing is, the .308 Winchester has an effective range of 1000 yards. ACOGs won't have enough magnification, and your won't have enough adjustment to compensate for elevation--you are going to want about 30 Mils of total travel.

You should do it right, get a first focal plane scope with decent magnification. Of course, an alternative to save money is to get a 10x fixed power, which is enough magnification for longer shots.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 PM

IMO for that type of rifle ur going to want a low to mid powered scope . The acog is a nice choice but way out of your budget range . I love the vortex brand and think the viper PST would work well . I would not get anything high mag . A 2.5-10x44 would be nice . You could dial it back to low mag for 100yds and in and still have a good field of view and still crank it up to 10 to take the long shots the 716 can reach .

All Vortex scopes have a life time guaranty no questions asked

This is a very nice scope but a little over budget $700
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle

This one is nice for just under $500 but not quite on the same level as the PST
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ex-moa-reticle

Like what was said above . What is the purpose of the rifle ? if your going to be shooting 100yds + most of the time or hunting a scope is what I would put on it . If your thinking of plinking , HD and most shots being under 100yds . You might think about a Red-Dot sight . There are plenty of RDS in your price range .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

Last edited by Metal God; 05-20-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i also have a super sniper fixed 20. it's mildots with moa knobs though. whereas the 2 above, they're mil/mil
If you absolutely can't up your price range, then this^^^^^^^^^^
You will most likely regret buying anything else.
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Old 05-20-2013, 8:45 AM

I put a leupold vxr 2-7 on mine under 300 from midway.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm very happy with my Burris MTAC 1.5-6x. I use the version made for 7.62. 30mm tube, decent reticle made for .308, nice glass. 6x is OK for a battle rifle. I always get a kick when people start talking like you HAVE to run a 1000 yard optic on a .308 when 99% of shooters have not and will not fire a shot at that distance or anywhere even close.
Old 05-20-2013, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

What is the intended purpose of your rifle?

For cqb range out to 400-500 yards, Vortex Viper 1-4x.

If you're shooting mostly from 100+ yards out, SWFA 3-9x42mm

Rule of thumb... the optic is more important than the rifle it sits on. :P
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 05-20-2013, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For that budget, Vortex or SWFA is where you should start looking for an optic.
Kevin
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Two threads in optics forum on this. Answer depends on your intended use + budget. I just ordered a Vortex Viper PST after considerable research into this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom-lover View Post
Two threads in optics forum on this. Answer depends on your intended use + budget. I just ordered a Vortex Viper PST after considerable research into this.
THIS!!!!!

Like others said, it depends on what you want to do.

that vortex pst would be a horrible choice if you want CQB ability....

100-1000 yds it's a great choice.

For instance-

I have 2 AR's- only one is complete- the other still needs an upper... Both are .223...

one is a short/light close range with a vortex razor red dot and back up irons.

The other, will be a medium range 20" stainless barrel scope only. No irons. (just need to pick the upper I want- have everything else) It will wear a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14. (that vortex viper is a better choice... but seeing as how I have the buckmaster laying around....)

The point is... one rifle cant be great at 'everything'. You need a purpose, then go in the direction to fit that purpose.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post

Rule of thumb... the optic is more important than the rifle it sits on. :P
I couldn’t agree more

OP… The Vortex PST line of scopes has become one of my go-to brands… you get a great value for the dollar in that price range without breaking the 1k price point even on their top of the line PST scopes. The PST line is one series down from their Razor line which is their tier 1 scopes.

SWFA HD scopes are quickly becoming another one of my go-to brands if I don’t mine spending a little more. I have not used any of their non HD models so I can’t really comment on them. The glass on the HD models are a welcome improvement over the Vortex PST line.

Bushnell HDMR is another very highly recommended and popular scope… I don’t have much experience with it, but with all the praise and reviews I would have no hesitation ordering one without actually using one.

ACOG is another wonderful optic, but use and application should determine this selection.

Pick an optic based on application and your needs as a shooter.

Happy optics shopping.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 05-20-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

won't put an acog on a .308. i actually shot with someone yesterday who had to hold over sooo much on a acog and a larger caliber (can't recall, but not 223) at 800 becuase the acog didn't have anymore adjustments. plus you probably want a little precision in there if you're using a .308

Quote:
Ah sounds good ill take a look at them now, I can always stretch my budget a bit if its worth it, do you think an ACOG or
just regular scope? Sorry I'm new to this. But thanks again man

if i can do it again, i'd skip the falcon menace and would've bought just another vortex pst ffp. 1k was my budget back then for one optic (bought the vortex "after" the falcon menace). until i really get a nice precision rig, then i'd look at the really nice scopes then (2k+).
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
If you absolutely can't up your price range, then this^^^^^^^^^^
You will most likely regret buying anything else.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post

The point is... one rifle cant be great at 'everything'. You need a purpose, then go in the direction to fit that purpose.
Based on the posts here on Calguns, you guys have more than just one rifle!
Old 05-20-2013, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

well true.. some of us do... you can always have more than just one optic too. do a quick detach like a larue/american defense setup. just know where you put it back on on the rail. you'll have to dial each scope back to zero though before each removal.

precision shooting on saturday... put on rifle scope
3-gun or whatever on sunday... put on your eotech/aim/acog

Old 05-20-2013, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
well true.. some of us do... you can always have more than just one optic too. do a quick detach like a larue/american defense setup. just know where you put it back on on the rail. you'll have to dial each scope back to zero though before each removal.

I actually did that for a few months while I was trying out different optics… at one point I had 3 different scopes for 1 rifle before I decided on what’s going to stay on there.

Now almost everything has a home, but it was rather convenient having 3 scopes and just slapping whatever you need on it for the task at hand.

Then again I’m one of those people that actually has spare scopes just sitting around waiting for rifles. Sometimes I like the optics more than the rifles themselves. I tend to think along the lines of which rifle am I going to attach to my scope, not the other way around.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 05-20-2013 at 3:06 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:

I just ordered a Bobro picatinny quick detach mount for the Vortec Viper PST I purchased. An ACOG is on another QD.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:47 PM

OP - Nikon M308 It should fit your application and your budget.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
OP - Nikon M308 It should fit your application and your budget.
I looked at that one. I think the SWFA is nicer for a little but more.