Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-21-2013, 8:50 PM

Am now thoroughly confused as to where this/we all stand with these trusts.. I really am coming to spite California's bureaucracy, and everything that comes with it.

Welcome to California. Everything here is either illegal or mandatory. Enjoy your stay!
Old 05-21-2013, 9:19 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Am now thoroughly confused as to where this/we all stand with these trusts.. I really am coming to spite California's bureaucracy, and everything that comes with it.
You are confused b/c there is NO clear answer. This is an area of the law that has not been addressed by any case law or statute. Please understand that we lawyers are merely hypothesizing and theorizing. There is no "right" answer until a court or the legislature tells us.
Old 05-21-2013, 9:38 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
CAL.BAR we are really not disagreeing that legal ownership trumps registered ownership and we are not discussing incapacity or succession (yet) - our group was going to discuss these things and then Jason dropped the 27545 bombshell on us - something none of us had really considered. So at this point we are just issuing a warning about the initial transfer based on Jason's revelation and where that led us.

Please reread my memo, and look at 27920 carefully. Again, we're not talking about registered ownership trumping legal ownership--27920 lays out specific requirements which must be strictly followed in order to exempt a non-FFL transfer from 27545 so that it is not a misdemeanor or felony. One of those requirements is the filing of a form which does not exist.
I'm with you Guntrust. But I hardly find 27545 a "bombshell". We all know that a transfer between two parties requires an FFL. But what about when the one party is already the owner of the gun (ie settlor) and the transferee is a trust (and thus not able to be the registered owner (i.e. the registered owner never changes)?

It appears that 27920 simply does not take into consideration and therefor address the possibility of the transfer of a weapon via inter vivos trust. However, 16990 does specifically mention trustee of a bankruptcy so that may be an angle to argue for proper transfer of a soon to be banned "AW" to the successor trustee of a trust following the settlor's death.
Old 05-21-2013, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: South Orange County, where I regularly provide free training in Estate Planning and Concealed Carry

Here is a video on "How to Select Trustees" (one of the most important decisions in your estate plan):
http://lawnews.tv/images/video/trust...0Trustees.html

It should be obvious by now that if you are a gun owner in California you need to educated on trusts and not just blindly accept documents (even if from an attorney). You need to know the terminology and how all of this affects firearm legacy.

You wouldn't pick up a gun without training, would you? You shouldn't pick up a trust without training, either. They can be dangerous.

For those in or near Orange County, i offer lots of free training out of my office (in both estate planning and firearms--concealed carry class, handgun dry practice, HSC cards, competitions with prizes including free Front Sight memberships and tea party flags, etc.

No obligation to buy anything, just sign up at http://GunLaw.Pro for the free events and have fun, invite others, and learn what you need to know to carry on the legacy. (The trust IS the best vehicle for this.)

Last edited by guntrust; 05-21-2013 at 9:56 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: South Orange County, where I regularly provide free training in Estate Planning and Concealed Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
I'm with you Guntrust. But I hardly find 27545 a "bombshell". We all know that a transfer between two parties requires an FFL. But what about when the one party is already the owner of the gun (ie settlor) and the transferee is a trust (and thus not able to be the registered owner (i.e. the registered owner never changes)?

It appears that 27920 simply does not take into consideration and therefor address the possibility of the transfer of a weapon via inter vivos trust. However, 16990 does specifically mention trustee of a bankruptcy so that may be an angle to argue for proper transfer of a soon to be banned "AW" to the successor trustee of a trust following the settlor's death.
A trust is not an entity, so a trust cannot be a transferee. (NFA is the only exception i'm aware of.) A trustee is an individual who takes title subject to all sorts of fiduciary obligations, but it's still just an individual taking title.

Estate planning attorneys are a pretty creative bunch when it comes to things like tax planning and asset protection planning, but this is much, much different because criminal liability is potentially involved. The approach of estate planning attorneys with respect to gun trusts must necessarily be extremely cautious and conservative, and the attorney cannot in any way facilitate criminal or potentially criminal conduct. This is highly complex stuff, merging a renumbered penal code with a very complicated crossover field like estate planning, and gun owners need to be in a committed relationship with a qualified estate planning attorney and leave experimentation to the red light district of paralegals and DIY.

Last edited by guntrust; 05-21-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
A trust is not an entity, so a trust cannot be a transferee. (NFA is the only exception i'm aware of.) A trustee is an individual who takes title subject to all sorts of fiduciary obligations, but it's still just an individual taking title.
Yes, I understand that a trust or corp. cannot be the REGISTERED owner, but who has legal title to the firearms (or anything put in the trust?) The Trust. A trustee does not have personal title or ownership of the items entrusted to him. (right?) Similarly, who owns all the FA weapons the movie industry uses? It is an individual who may hold the AW or DD license, but it is the corporation that owns the firearms. (and like a trust, the Corp CANNOT own the AW or DD license - at least as the law is to be amended. So again we have a case of a split between the legal and registered owner. So the "group" decided it's not against the law (27545?) to put guns in a gun trust, but this conundrum still exists. I have already established that firearms can and do change legal ownership by operation of law. (and not in contravention of it) Putting something in a trust also changes ownership by operation of law. (see probate code cited in posts above) All w/o changing registered ownership (at least initially) Yes, the Penal Code requires certain things AFTER legal title has changed. My argument is that if an OLL were placed in an irrevocable trust prior to the ban on transfers and after the ban were enacted the settlor dies leaving a new trustee, we would have a solid argument to the courts that the next trustee in line should be able to be included in that categories mentioned in the code sections discussed above just like a BK trustee or executor etc. But again, no one knows for sure just yet.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Yes, I understand that a trust or corp. cannot be the REGISTERED owner, but who has legal title to the firearms (or anything put in the trust?) The Trust.
I don't think so. A "trust" is merely a fiduciary relationship between two (or more) people. It can even be created without formal trust documents, just be the actions of the parties (for example a husband transfers to his separate property to the wife with the mutual agreement that it will be used to care for their children after the divorce). It is not it's own entity, it can't hold title to property. We know this because a trust cannot itself be sued (Powers v. Ashton, 45 Cal.App.3d at p. 787, 119 Cal.Rptr. 729; Code Civ. Proc., § 369). If something can't be sued, it would be very strange if it could hold title to property, for obvious reasons. The trustee would be the target of the lawsuit, and the trustee would have the legal title.

Nonetheless, I think your reasoning holds.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:34 AM

A trust is a contract. It sets down special relationships between persons and property or other assets.

The trust is not an entity which holds title to assets, but assets which are recorded as relating to the trust are handled according to the language of the trust. The trustees manage the assets for the beneficiaries, and the trustees effectively hold the title to the assets until such time that the assets are distributed according to the terms of the trust.

The only exception is that the IRS and other taxing authorities can consider a trust to be an entity for tax purposes, depending on the terms of the trust and the situation. This is done because even though a trustee effectively controls the assets, it does not make sense to handle any income, etc. as applying to the trustee as an individual.
Old 05-22-2013, 6:30 AM

Quote:

No obligation to buy anything, just sign up at http://GunLaw.Pro for the free events and have fun, invite others, and learn what you need to know to carry on the legacy. (The trust IS the best vehicle for this.)

Really confused... is a gun trust a way to pass firearms on to children or not?
Old 05-22-2013, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
This is California and the general public wants to get rid of hunting, fishing, firearms, contact sports, meat, petrol chemicals, salt, Tabaco and any self reliance as it poses a threat to the state controlling everything... basically they want every one to be wrapped in bubble wrap, smoke pot, and think happy loving thoughts all day.
and embrace the anchovie, the spotted whipporwhil, the sand eating booger thing, and gnats. Note to the gubmint: GET OUT OF OUR LIVES.
Old 05-22-2013, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchutt View Post
Really confused... is a gun trust a way to pass firearms on to children or not?
Yes! in fact it is the BEST way because it is more private than probate and relies on centuries of established law. Entities, on the other hand, are more expensive, more susceptible to regulation, and there are even more questions about whether and how they can hold firearms in CA.

It will pass on your guns--more importantly (much more importantly), it can pass on your TRAINING.

I hope this thread will stay focused on the limited issue addressed by the memo, viz., risks associated with initial funding of a common joint revocable trust, and the solution recommended in the memo. The thread is confusing enough for folks without getting into irrevocable trusts, or what happens with a revocable trust upon incapacity or death. Save those issues for another thread please.

Last edited by guntrust; 05-22-2013 at 7:42 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interesting letter uploaded by Brandon:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/154819272/...ws-July-9-2013

But note this para from my memo linked by the OP:

But is it even possible to report to DOJ a transmutation from separate to community? Note another oxymoronic aspect to these sections: §§ 27915 and 27920 refer to “a person who takes title or possession of” and “the individual taking possession of the firearm,” and §16990 (the one exempting transmutations) refers to “instances in which an individual receives title to, or possession of, a firearm.” In fact, DOJ’s op law form provides room only for one recipient. (Where a dealer is used, DROS and 4473 forms similarly provide only for one recipient.) - See more at: http://lawnews.tv/index.php/2013-06-....QO4kpFt1.dpuf

Last edited by guntrust; 07-19-2013 at 4:51 PM..
Old 07-19-2013, 4:11 PM

^ This thread is exactly what I thought of when I saw that letter. Hopefully there will be movement on the issue.
Old 07-19-2013, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So, I can take property that was purchased as a married person and exempt it from California community property laws?

WIN !

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-19-2013, 7:33 PM

In the words of Shakespeare:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
California Family Code Section 760 into your analysis.
So I could sink our CP life savings into expensive guns thereby effecting a unilateral transmutation to SP? If the (family law / probate) Court tries to impose a constructive trust, will CADOJ go arrest the Judge?

It really is a shame that I let my wife sit through my CP class (evening class; she worked two blocks away). When I see a few more pink-clad ARs appear in the safe, I'll know I'm in for the big D.
Old 07-20-2013, 8:38 AM
Calguns Addict

cash out 401(k); buy a dozen perazzi shotguns and a hundred desert eagles. Sorry...not community property. revel in divorce success, until CA finally overturns the rule because it is not until taken to the absurd will the media/public even care.

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Holy crappadoodle Batman...this thread makes my hair hurt.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
I was one of the attorneys in attendance at that meeting.

We concluded it is NOT illegal to put firearms in a trust, but it is probably illegal to put them into a trust with two trustees. The government currently does not allow for or recognize community property ownership of firearms.
In 1989, I registered my California defined AW's to not only me, but my spouse and oldest son. In 2000 (?), I registered the then newly California defined AW's (not the same weapons as '89) in my name and my youngest son. (No spouse at time, lol). Is this not in conflict with what you are saying?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm NOT an attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I think this thread is a good read.

Because then I wast thinking of....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=795749
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

WOW could they make it any more difficult. Sheee

I'm beginning to think there is less then NO hope for anyone in this **** up state...
Old 09-06-2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
We're attorneys. We are educated, trained and paid to write confusing text, so we can be paid again to explain what we wrote.
Rules of professional conduct comes into mind
Old 09-07-2013, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER8400 View Post
Rules of professional conduct comes into mind
The real money is in plain-language docs, which tend to be longer, and counseling clients so they actually benefit from them.
Old 09-07-2013, 9:46 AM
Banned

Default Gun Trust

So what's the thinking on a trust to preserve the right for my wife and minor children to be able to own/use my evil semi automatic rifles? I understand that the kids would need to reach 18 first.

Worth the time and money to set one up before year end?

Last edited by Calplinker; 09-07-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Read this entire thread. Came away totally confused.

Read the entire thread again. I am now more confused than I was previously.
Ditto.

I didn't transfer my guns into the living trust I set up because I wasn't sure about the legality and, frankly, neither was the lawyer. Now I am even less sure.

I mean, if a couple decide to get a divorce I am pretty sure that thousands of dollars in guns would be considered community property. What I don't understand is how they would be community property in a divorce but not in a trust.

Last edited by scarville; 09-07-2013 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: fix grammar error
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4eyes View Post
In the words of Shakespeare:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
we're not a nation of laws, rather a nation of lawyers and lobbyists...

"I want the truth! You can't handle the truth!!!" A Few Good Men
Old 09-08-2013, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
Ditto.

I didn't transfer my guns into the living trust I set up because I wasn't sure about the legality and, frankly, neither was the lawyer. Now I am even less sure.

I mean, if a couple decide to get a divorce I am pretty sure that thousands of dollars in guns would be considered community property. What I don't understand is how they would be community property in a divorce but not in a trust.
If the living trust is just for you (for your separate property), you would either need to purchase the firearms using separate funds, or have your spouse agree (in writing) to transmute them into separate property. Otherwise, they would need to go into a joint living trust, which would be dissolved as part of the divorce, and the assets of the trust divided.

Actually, it would seem to be a very good idea to have a living trust for any separate property if you are married. If it is set up and documented properly, the assets would not be part of the divorce. You could name anyone as beneficiary and as successor trustees if you should die.
Old 11-12-2014, 8:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When i made the switch to wordpress last summer my URLs changed--here is the current URL for the memo that was posted by the OP:
http://lawnews.tv/gun-trust-attorneys-issue-warning
Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 PM

Why can't your wife simply gift you her CP interest in the guns, and you be the trustee on behalf of your son, the beneficiary?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdx450 View Post
I have come to realize that a lot of people here in calguns voted for these democrats so now we're paying for it.
And I have come to realize a lot of angry people here continually make specious assumptions about other people.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:19 PM

All these years and I missed this thread....Tagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTS: White Oak Armament Adjustable Stock
Old 01-09-2015, 3:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.americastopplannerevent.c...er-gun-trusts/
Old 01-10-2015, 3:26 PM

So, forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the subject as even the common language in this thread is making my head spin, but what is the general consensus here? Gun owners should have their firearms placed in a individual gun trust? Please help out the confused. My wife and I have a family trust set already set up for our home and community property. Do I need to set up another separate trust just for the guns then? I need some advise.
Old 01-10-2015, 3:45 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Jack View Post
So, forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the subject as even the common language in this thread is making my head spin, but what is the general consensus here? Gun owners should have their firearms placed in a individual gun trust? Please help out the confused. My wife and I have a family trust set already set up for our home and community property. Do I need to set up another separate trust just for the guns then?
They real question is, why a gun trust? And depending on what you say, the response will probably be, "you don't need a trust for that" OR "a trust doesn't do that." Trusts don't do much here in CA for gun owners, and as such I'm not sure why someone would spend money on one.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincon View Post
They real question is, why a gun trust? And depending on what you say, the response will probably be, "you don't need a trust for that" OR "a trust doesn't do that." Trusts don't do much here in CA for gun owners, and as such I'm not sure why someone would spend money on one.

http://www.americastopplannerevent.c...er-gun-trusts/

You are goading me, Tincon. That is like saying contracts don't do much here in CA for gun owners.
Old 10-23-2015, 5:56 PM

Now I have another twist to add, CA allows a trust to own an AOW with out a sign off, Could an AOW be purchased to a trust consisting of 3 members that would not qualify for operation of law for IFT?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Attachment 451386

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo

Last edited by wjc; 01-17-2016 at 1:38 PM..