Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-20-2013, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Look at it this way... When cities like Boston get put under martial law or schools get put on prison style lockdowns, or when a veteran investigates a strange noise in his home when America's paramilitary forces that were formally known as peace officers respond to so much as a kitten stuck in a tree, they're decked out with AR-15's and a ton of 5.56.

Now, I don't know about you, but I see all that as a bunch of free rifles and ammo not chambered in 7.62x39.
Yeah thats exactly what I told him too.

My answer is to keep the AR and buy an AK. People are making a good point and that is that AK's eat pretty much any type of ammo you throw at it...

Atlantic firearms is a pretty good website, lots of good AK's. I recommended a polish under folder but I think most of Atlantics AK's should be alright. I noticed they have a "rare" German AK.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

They have a Romanian for $800, would this be the WASR??

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Do they have to add the barrel extensions to all the AK's they ship from Atlantic Firearms? I thought AK's met the length standards in CA without the barrel extensions?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 05-20-2013 at 6:22 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Oh hey guys, I just forgot that I have a DWP and 30 dealer sample machineguns. Silly me, how did I forget?
Did I mention I am a Navy SEAL and the king of Canada?
I knew about the Navy Seal part because I commanded 8 Seal teams all at the same time, trained them all too. Your Highness, I didn't know about The King of Canada part, please forgive this commoner.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:23 PM

I LOVE cheap steel cased Wolf, Tula, Herters, Tiger ect. If they cut that stuff out of the market for us, I'll be stuck spending WAY more of brass cased stuff that gives me the same results through an AK. Gotta love how through the whole panic steel cased 7.62 only went up a small fraction of what 5.56 did. It's the best thing that couldve happened to me. Went AK and probably not going back. Sold a bunch of AR15 parts and probably will sell more eventually.
So yeah the UN traty crap does scare me because all the cheap steel cased Russian stuff would go away.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:25 PM
Banned

Queen of Canada, no? Mrs Plink
Old 05-20-2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
For a second there I thought I was watching the Benghazi hearings.
Zing!

I'm also on the side of keeping a 5.56 rifle in addition to other calibers. My AK is a WASR-2 (5.45x39mm) and I love it. The wood was really rough (replaced it with polymer) and other than that it's a great functional rifle. I do sometimes worry about imported 5.45 becoming unavailable, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. I think there are enough 5.45 AKs out there now that a domestic manufacturer would fill the gap. Same goes for 7.62.
Old 05-20-2013, 8:43 PM

Another factor is the government absorbing most of the ammunition from domestic manufacturers, which drives up price and brings down availability. They couldnt do that to those overseas manufacturers making this cheap steel cased ammo. Which to me, is another driving factor for the government to block foreign ammunition so that they can manipulate the market as they see fit.
Old 05-21-2013, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paper Pimp View Post
MrPink, I'm right with you buddy. I have 5 AKs and a Russian SKS (including a milled AK, yay!) as well as an AR. woo hoo!
Pics or thepaperpimp is sellin' woof tickets? Like I tell all the girls... "Show me yours and ill show you mines!"

Last edited by sffred; 05-21-2013 at 5:16 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paper Pimp View Post
paperwork is in the safe and goes with the rifle every time it leaves the house. if post pix, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to do that from an iPhone.
??? Really, you know a lot about AK's but you can't read a sticky on posting pics?
Old 05-21-2013, 5:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm just waiting for him to take a picture of his TV while playing call of duty.
I've already asked for pix of his supposed RAW. It ain't gonna happen. At best he will steal other peoples pix and pretend they are his own.
Seriously Paper, how old are you?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh the humanity....

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-22-2013, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have any Egyptian AK that was built on a Spud receiver. I got it from another member here. It is still in gun jail but it looks mighty fine. Cannot wait to try it out.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I have any Egyptian AK that was built on a Spud receiver. I got it from another member here. It is still in gun jail but it looks mighty fine. Cannot wait to try it out.
Yeah. I was thinking that too. The equipment that the guns were tooled on came straight from Russia so they say that Egyptian AK's are pretty decent.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
The equipment that the guns were tooled on came straight from Russia so they say that Egyptian AK's are pretty decent.
It not the equipment that determines the quality. It's the people operating those equipment. From what I've seen, they aren't that great.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ott1 View Post
It not the equipment that determines the quality. It's the people operating those equipment. From what I've seen, they aren't that great.
Thats funny because Ive heard the exact opposite. Oh well.

I was wondering? Do you have one or have you shot one? Just curious as to how they compare to other AK's...

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

The egyptian parts I have seen and owned were the roughest machined and poorest finish of any other country.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Damn that sucks

Old 05-22-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
The egyptian parts I have seen and owned were the roughest machined and poorest finish of any other country.
Wow, my EM first parts kit from classic firearms (never buy from classic) were garbage, but the next 2 EM parts kits actually was pretty top notch! No bubba demill, spray paint was even and straight, front trunion was barely over 23mm by barely 2-3 thousandths (perfect press on the barrel with no gouging), and the rest of the parts were in like unissued condition. (I must have gotten lucky) I have 2 maadi imported kits that were in unissued condition, and my first kit was super bubba'd out. The tooling marks on all of them were straight and even. So if you compare em' to russian Izzy akm, and the rguns Tula AKM kits, they were pretty much on par' besides the spray paint finish and the wood. (IMHO Russians, yugo's/serbian's, and polish have the best wood) but I wouldn't knock Egyptian AK's, just remember its not what country it's from, but how the builder built it!
Old 05-22-2013, 1:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Russian tooling isn't that refined to begin with IMO.
but these are AKs we talking about last I checked
Old 05-22-2013, 1:35 PM
Banned

The WASR I bought last November had 0 issues with mag wobble or canted anything.

It was a good deal for $450 , but after owning one I don't know if I could convince myself to pay $1000+ for an AK style rifle.
Old 05-22-2013, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
The WASR I bought last November had 0 issues with mag wobble or canted anything.

It was a good deal for $450 , but after owning one I don't know if I could convince myself to pay $1000+ for an AK style rifle.

Exactly. After this all cools down, in any other state, AK's will hopefully be back to normal AK prices..lol I dont know about CA because we have other issues...

Old 05-22-2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Unlocked the pre ban Egyptian AK in CoD?
Old 05-22-2013, 2:12 PM

I always buy a couple of boxes of 7.62x39 when I see it. I don't have an AK but I saw the bull pup stock for my sks made by SG Works. Can't wait to see how this works out. Never new I wanted a bull pup until I saw this conversion kit. I still burn through as much .223 in my AR as possible.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wrong. canted parts like sights are a functional issue--you can't shoot accurately if your sights are off.

well get ready to S your pants, and maybe if you actually ever shot an AK (or any firearm for that matter) you would know that AKs have fully adjustable sights! Turns out those crazy Russians thought of everything back in the mid 40s!

If POA =s POI, guess what? The amount of canting required to throw off POI from POA is rather immense, even for a WASR.
Funny that someone is going to argue with Mr Plink about AKMs...

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 05-22-2013, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Paper pimp Noob!
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 05-22-2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21SF View Post
Paper pimp Noob!
You guys shamed him into hiding!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 5:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Oh hey guys, I just forgot that I have a DWP and 30 dealer sample machineguns. Silly me, how did I forget?
Did I mention I am a Navy SEAL and the king of Canada?
Could you part with a few of those machineguns??? I am a cash buyer!!

"My pimpin' is on the loose! All the freak has to do is latch on like the caboose." Mr. Whitefolks

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"That brotha wanted the honey, all we wants is da money!!!" Pretty Tony.
Old 05-22-2013, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
Mine looked as smooth as a prom queens thighs. A lot better than some others I saw including an Inter Ordinance. I know that is not saying much. Honestly though, I was really happy to get a classic looking AK at a great price....I am happy.

"My pimpin' is on the loose! All the freak has to do is latch on like the caboose." Mr. Whitefolks

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"That brotha wanted the honey, all we wants is da money!!!" Pretty Tony.
Old 05-22-2013, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post

I Paid 500 bucks for my Saiga right before the SHTF, but IMO it's a great weapon. I love my AR's, but the reliability of the AK's I have owned have been great. This is the first Russian I have owned, but even my Chinese ones were very reliable. Everyone should have one in their safe.
Old 05-22-2013, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffred View Post
Wow, my EM first parts kit from classic firearms (never buy from classic) were garbage, but the next 2 EM parts kits actually was pretty top notch! No bubba demill, spray paint was even and straight, front trunion was barely over 23mm by barely 2-3 thousandths (perfect press on the barrel with no gouging), and the rest of the parts were in like unissued condition. (I must have gotten lucky) I have 2 maadi imported kits that were in unissued condition, and my first kit was super bubba'd out. The tooling marks on all of them were straight and even. So if you compare em' to russian Izzy akm, and the rguns Tula AKM kits, they were pretty much on par' besides the spray paint finish and the wood. (IMHO Russians, yugo's/serbian's, and polish have the best wood) but I wouldn't knock Egyptian AK's, just remember its not what country it's from, but how the builder built it!
No denying that they can still be good rifles. I'm not trying to deter anybody from getting one or out to bash them. I even have a couple myself. Just pointing out from what I have seen the quality and QC of the materials and finish is not as high as other countries.

Last edited by AKSOG; 05-22-2013 at 7:25 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 8:33 PM

Guess I got lucky. Few years ago I felt like buying an AK since already had enough AR's and found a nice gentleman on this site who sold his WASR to me with smooth as butter Tapco trigger, 3 10/30 ProMags and 1300 rounds of non corrosive Monarch and Wolf for next to nothing. Took it to range couple times and couldn't believe , without even sighting it in, how accurate that thing was at 200m, and I am by no means a great shot. Mainly shoot my AR15s and AR10s these days, guess I'll keep the remaining 1000 rds and WASR in the safe and save for a rainy day when the zombies come. Good about cleaning my AR's but don't even own a bore snake for the WASR and don't think will ever need one. Fit and finish was a lot nicer than the ones I handled at Turners as well. Guess there are some good ones and some not so good ones. I love mine.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM

I have a saiga unconverted iz132 in 7.62x39. It was the first firearm I purchased and works just as an ak should. Turner's had wasr's for $500 when I bought my saiga, but i didnt like the bullet button and how "cheap" the wasr felt. After I get a few other semi automatic toy's I really want to either convert my saiga or get a "high" end ak like a vepr or an east german build.