Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-19-2013, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Default AK-47's and 7.62x39

Stupid question but does anyone foresee in the near future, due to Obama signing the UN arms treaty BS (I dont want to get into the pro's and cons' argument), does anyone foresee in the near future AK-47 ammo being hard to come by? Are there many American 7.62x39 ammo manufacturers? And UN arms treaty aside, would 7.62x39 be hard to find, lets say, compared to 5.56 or .223?

I have a friend who is thinking about trading an AR15 and some ammo for an AK47.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

I don't see it happening. So many AKs out there that somebody would fill the demand even if it did happen
Old 05-19-2013, 8:30 PM
Banned

there are domestic producers for the 7.62x39 round, Winchester and Hornady come to mind. it's hard to tell if ammo will be severely impacted, best option may be to stock up on it now. it's still relatively cheap compared to 5.56/.223

AKs are also made in 223 and 308.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the responses...I told him how cheap AK's were about a year or two ago. Wish he would have bought then but what can you do?

I think he has multiple AR's so he is definitely looking for the traditional "AK47". But if he only has one AR, I wonder if it would be worth the trade? Maybe he should just buy one? Either way, its Better to have both

Yeah Im going to tell him to do this now before its too late. Either pull the trigger or dont.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:39 PM
Banned

it's better to have both or multiples of each. A good entry level choice is the WASR 10/63, but prices have steadily increased. All AKs function the same, there is no one that is "better" than the other, just personal preference of the end user.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:46 PM
Banned

Look at it this way... When cities like Boston get put under martial law or schools get put on prison style lockdowns, or when a veteran investigates a strange noise in his home when America's paramilitary forces that were formally known as peace officers respond to so much as a kitten stuck in a tree, they're decked out with AR-15's and a ton of 5.56.

Now, I don't know about you, but I see all that as a bunch of free rifles and ammo not chambered in 7.62x39.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Paper Pimp View Post
it's better to have both or multiples of each. A good entry level choice is the WASR 10/63, but prices have steadily increased. All AKs function the same, there is no one that is "better" than the other, just personal preference of the end user.
I don't know about that. Aren't WASR's initially single stack and were modified by Century Arms to accept double stack mags by dremeling out the mag well. They don't have the mag retention dimples which gives a seated mag more lateral movement. Canted sights and gas tubes are common with these rifles. I'd rather have a converted Saiga IZ-332, Norinco, Vepr, or SAM7r.

Last edited by CAGLS; 05-19-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

well, the key words were "entry-level." earlier versions of the WASR had everything you mentioned, QC on later models seems to have improved.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Look at it this way... When cities like Boston get put under martial law or schools get put on prison style lockdowns, or when a veteran investigates a strange noise in his home when America's paramilitary forces that were formally known as peace officers respond to so much as a kitten stuck in a tree, they're decked out with AR-15's and a ton of 5.56.

Now, I don't know about you, but I see all that as a bunch of free rifles and ammo not chambered in 7.62x39.
Well said
Old 05-20-2013, 3:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
I don't know about that. Aren't WASR's initially single stack and were modified by Century Arms to accept double stack mags by dremeling out the mag well. They don't have the mag retention dimples which gives a seated mag more lateral movement. Canted sights and gas tubes are common with these rifles. I'd rather have a converted Saiga IZ-332, Norinco, Vepr, or SAM7r.
1st part is correct.
Mag dimples arent there for lateral movement, which is a none issue anyways.
(fun fact, the original AKs dont have dimples - quote me on this paper pimp and pretend you knew it already)

Canted parts are RARELY a functional issue but rather a cosmetic one.

WASR is probably one of the ugliest AKs out there, sadly its also arguably the closest you can get to a factory combloc rifle (that isnt in some neutered sporting configuration). Functionally, its as good as anything else true to what is crucial to an AK.

Back to the OP,
There are numerous ways we could see imported ammo go bye bye. Take a look not too far back as to what happened to the Chinese x39 ammo out there. But as mentioned the caliber has become fairly popular domestically. Worst case scenario is you get stuck with the much more expensive domestically produced ammo, which I will be the first to admit kills a lot of the appeal of x39

Quote:

Cool, now I have both. (well.. I already do but thats not the point)

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 05-20-2013, 3:34 AM
Banned

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. canted parts like sights are a functional issue--you can't shoot accurately if your sights are off.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:37 AM
Banned

MrPink, I'm right with you buddy. I have 5 AKs and a Russian SKS (including a milled AK, yay!) as well as an AR. woo hoo!
Old 05-20-2013, 3:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
[QUOTE

Wrong. canted parts like sights are a functional issue--you can't shoot accurately if your sights are off.[/QUOTE]

well get ready to S your pants, and maybe if you actually ever shot an AK (or any firearm for that matter) you would know that AKs have fully adjustable sights! Turns out those crazy Russians thought of everything back in the mid 40s!

If POA =s POI, guess what? The amount of canting required to throw off POI from POA is rather immense, even for a WASR.

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 05-20-2013, 3:42 AM
Banned

not if the cant is severe (which some WASRs and IOs had). if it is, then a wrench and a vise would come handy.

just like education comes in handy
Old 05-20-2013, 3:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
MrPink, I'm right with you buddy. I have 5 AKs and a Russian SKS (including a milled AK, yay!) as well as an AR. woo hoo!
I see you have added another one since... yesterday less then 10 hours ago?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=19

Quote:
... I have 4 stamped AKs as well including a preban Egyptian. ...
Including means included in that number, it does not mean plus. You claim to be a professional writer you should know better...

So which one is it?
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Old 05-20-2013, 3:50 AM
Banned

I missed a comma in there.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I missed a comma in there.
I know its hard to keep track of the huge arsenal you must have being such an AK expert but which is it? 4 or 5?
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:07 AM
Banned

it doesn't matter
Old 05-20-2013, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
it doesn't matter
Sure it does.
You have been dispensing advice all over this web site like you are Mikhail's right hand man.
But overnight the number of AK's you own grows, despite being in a state with a 10 day waiting period.
You also claim to own a "preban Egyptian" (AK) but previously claimed less than two months ago "I have a few old bolt action rifles and a shotgun, nothing major"
What model "preban Egyptian" do you own?

Something is amiss.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:29 AM
Banned

nothing is amiss. my advice is just opinion based on observation and experience, you can take it or ignore it.

the number of AKs grows? lol. because I missed a comma?

nothing is amiss, I'm just a gun enthusiast like anyone else on here.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
nothing is amiss. my advice is just opinion based on observation and experience, you can take it or ignore it.

the number of AKs grows? lol. because I missed a comma?

nothing is amiss, I'm just a gun enthusiast like anyone else on here.
Again which is it? 4 or 5?
And what model "preban Egyptian" do you own and when did you acquire it?

Old 05-20-2013, 4:53 AM
Banned

it doesn't matter
Old 05-20-2013, 5:09 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^^

Old 05-20-2013, 5:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 05-20-2013, 6:48 AM
Banned

Unlocked the pre ban Egyptian AK in CoD?
Old 05-20-2013, 7:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Unlocked the pre ban Egyptian AK in CoD?
What is CoD? I've had to sell 5 AK's and it kills me everytime. I've built 100's of AK's and Saiga conversions and I don't claim to be an expert.

As for Obama signing the UN treaty, I see him doing it. He would need the Senate to agree as well. Who's in charge of the Senate... Buy,it cheap and stack it deep.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
it doesn't matter
Sure it does, what is this pre ban Egyptian AK you speak of?
Hint, it should have paperwork.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:31 AM

I've been shooting my WASR out of the box with zero sight adjustment as I'm a bad AK owner and have been too cheap to buy the sight tool I want - the AKMFST.

I read all of the scary stuff about canted sights and the like before I bought it. I get no mag wobble with Tapco or steel surplus mags. And my unadjusted sights are windage correct which is where the can't problem would manifest. All I need is a couple cranks up on the front sight post and I'll be right on at 100 yards.

All of that being said, with the insane prices right now, I might just spring for an Arsenal if I was in the market. I got my $500 WASR at Turners right before the panic and even that price hurt.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP, if we had a discussion on the UN treaty on this site it would all be con.

Once I decided to buy an AK I started stocking up on ammo, it took 3.5 months to get it so I was able to gather a few rounds while I waited. I've seen AK ammo vary in price lately from about .35 to .28 a round. Brands that I have bought were Wolf, Tulammo, Golden Tiger and Hornady. The Hornady was the upper end ammo and it was well above .35/rnd and it had A-Max bullets. JHP and FMJ are all available.

Atlantic Firearms has a very nice selection of AKs in stock. Many countries and types of AKs are in stock. You should be able to find what you need or want.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Can there be a unilateral treaty on the innerwebz to ban the canted sight issue from any WASR thread? The sights are adjustable for a reason. I personally have never seen a sight or gas tube issue on a WASR, that doesn't mean it's not out there.

Pimp, here's a clue, one of the " pre ban egyptian AK's" rhymes with Maddy.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

stock them deep and never look back!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

paperwork is in the safe and goes with the rifle every time it leaves the house. if post pix, but I'm on my phone and don't know how to do that from an iPhone.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:

Which is a good reason why everyone should have a black rifle that shoots 5.56.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
it doesn't matter
Quote:
it doesn't matter
For a second there I thought I was watching the Benghazi hearings.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr33domfightr View Post
Which is a good reason why everyone should have a black rifle that shoots 5.56.
That was my point.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

762, no big deal, PMC,REM and FED all make it but not cheap.

5.45 on the other hand, well hornady is the only company that makes it domestically. heavy import restrictions in the future wouldnt surprise me.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh hey guys, I just forgot that I have a DWP and 30 dealer sample machineguns. Silly me, how did I forget?
Did I mention I am a Navy SEAL and the king of Canada?
Old 05-20-2013, 2:13 PM
Banned

7,000+ posts and you come up with this stupid post?

figures.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
What is CoD? I've had to sell 5 AK's and it kills me everytime. I've built 100's of AK's and Saiga conversions and I don't claim to be an expert.
CoD = Call of Duty

Quote:
As for Obama signing the UN treaty, I see him doing it. He would need the Senate to agree as well. Who's in charge of the Senate... Buy,it cheap and stack it deep.
It takes 2/3rds of the Senate to agree. I don't see that happening.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:05 PM

OP - I saw this from a while back when everyone was talking about Exec. Orders. I figured the first to go would be the imported x39, especially the non-magnetic Yugo/Serbian stuff. I had put a priority on that just before the panic. Even then, that stuff was starting to dry up.

The price on domestic x39 is worse than 5.56/.223 at today's prices. If I were you I would put priority on acquiring as much x39 as possible. Despite the ammo shortages, 5.56/.223 and .308 will bounce back to pre-panic stock levels. However, all the cheap imported x39 can go away overnight with just one signature.