Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2013, 1:55 PM
gblacksmith gblacksmith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 149
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Berdan 7.62x54R brass

Does anyone here reload berdan 7.62X54R? I have a bunch of once fired all brass Yugo PPU cases. I would rather see them used and will trade for boxer cases.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2013, 2:48 PM
Rwnielsen's Avatar
Rwnielsen Rwnielsen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Powder Valley has primers for them and I believe they're in stock.
Good luck with your offer
__________________
NRA Lifer/Endowment Member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2013, 4:19 PM
chknlyps2's Avatar
chknlyps2 chknlyps2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the sticks
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

The Yugo 7.62x54r brass that I have has a bigger primer than the 5.5mm primers at PV. I will go pop a yugo 54r primer out and measure it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2013, 4:53 PM
chknlyps2's Avatar
chknlyps2 chknlyps2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the sticks
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Well son of a gun, I pulled a primer out of that yugo brass a couple years ago and it was 6.35 mm, the one I just grabbed has a different head stamp and it is 5.5 mm and the Tula Berdan KV-7.62N fit it. I just primed one and fired it and it went bang. The one that is 6.35 mm has the head stamp nny and a date, the one with a 5.5 mm primer has a head stamp with a 30 and some symbols.

The Tula KV-7.62N at PV are sold out now but they still have Tula KV-24N that fit 7.62x39 yugo brass, the cup is still 5.5 mm but it is about 2.2 mm tall where as the KV-7.62N is 2.5 mm tall, they just sit a little deep but still go off fine when fired.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2013, 9:58 PM
Vlad 11's Avatar
Vlad 11 Vlad 11 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: S.F.V.
Posts: 2,844
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

.254 berdan primers are basically unobtainium at this point.

The Yugo NNY brass is pretty but for most its scrap.

Unless you have a penchant for pain like me, then you can bush them for a LRP
and if your really depraved you can reload steel case



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
chknlyps2's Avatar
chknlyps2 chknlyps2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the sticks
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
.254 berdan primers are basically unobtainium at this point.

The Yugo NNY brass is pretty but for most its scrap.

Unless you have a penchant for pain like me, then you can bush them for a LRP
and if your really depraved you can reload steel case



WOW, thats cool. Who made the bushings and do they stay put when you deprime?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2013, 1:46 AM
stilly's Avatar
stilly stilly is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Posts: 9,615
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
Well son of a gun, I pulled a primer out of that yugo brass a couple years ago and it was 6.35 mm, the one I just grabbed has a different head stamp and it is 5.5 mm and the Tula Berdan KV-7.62N fit it. I just primed one and fired it and it went bang. The one that is 6.35 mm has the head stamp nny and a date, the one with a 5.5 mm primer has a head stamp with a 30 and some symbols.

The Tula KV-7.62N at PV are sold out now but they still have Tula KV-24N that fit 7.62x39 yugo brass, the cup is still 5.5 mm but it is about 2.2 mm tall where as the KV-7.62N is 2.5 mm tall, they just sit a little deep but still go off fine when fired.
its that tecknoligy thing man. They makes everything smaller now.

PV seems to have lots of berdan stuff in stock most of the time.

How did you pop out your primer on that though? make a tool for it?
__________________
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...


Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2013, 6:48 PM
chknlyps2's Avatar
chknlyps2 chknlyps2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the sticks
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
its that tecknoligy thing man. They makes everything smaller now.

PV seems to have lots of berdan stuff in stock most of the time.

How did you pop out your primer on that though? make a tool for it?
Ya I took an awl and ground the tip to form a little bit of a hook and I put the tip in the dent the firing pin made and give it a couple taps with a small hammer and pry out.

I also took a foot long 2x4 and on its edge I drilled 10 holes about as deep as a 7.62x39 case is and I clamp that in the vice. I can use the same holes for 7.62x39, 7.5x55 and 7.62x54r.

Once you get the hang of it it only takes about 40 seconds to pry out 10 primers, it takes longer to pull the cases out and put new cases in the 2x4.

PV only has the KV-24N in stock now, Grafs also had both sizes up untill 2 months ago but last time I looked they were out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2013, 7:20 PM
Vlad 11's Avatar
Vlad 11 Vlad 11 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: S.F.V.
Posts: 2,844
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
WOW, thats cool. Who made the bushings and do they stay put when you deprime?
I made them out of 1/4" copper tube. Got the idea from this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKJfvMyuDg

So far dozens of shots and it works like a charm. Prime and deprime like a regular boxer brass. Started loads with 10g pistol powder 100 gr bullet and worked all the way to 46 gr varget and 180 gr bullet. Nothing has budged at all
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 PM
chknlyps2's Avatar
chknlyps2 chknlyps2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the sticks
Posts: 2,600
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
I made them out of 1/4" copper tube. Got the idea from this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKJfvMyuDg

So far dozens of shots and it works like a charm. Prime and deprime like a regular boxer brass. Started loads with 10g pistol powder 100 gr bullet and worked all the way to 46 gr varget and 180 gr bullet. Nothing has budged at all
I like that! I am going to order the RCBS swager tool and try that. They are on Amazon and Ebay for about $60 and Midway has them listed for $35 but out of stock till end of June, back order is ok..... I will wait for Midway.

Did you see that guys you tube vid about reloading steel 7.62x39? He pulled the anvil off of Boxer primers and super glued them in and they worked..... pretty interesting that you could do it in a pinch if you had to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:18 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.