Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Default Vortex optics question

So I have had a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16 for about 2-3 months on my R700. I took the rifle out yesterday and found what appears to be some kind of liquid beading on the glass (4-5 drops spread out). I cleaned the objective and eyepiece lenses but it is still there, and I am pretty sure it is internal. I know Vortex has a great warranty, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do short of sending it back. Any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM

I have seen this on a few different scopes not just Vortex. Send it back and you should get a new one or that one fixed with in a week. Vortexs customer service is top notch and one of the best in the business.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

^^^ He knows what he's talking about.

We both have heard of this on occasion. You need to send it in. They'll take care of you.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I figured. I just thought there may be a DIY fix (I know they are sealed, but I'm a DIY kind of guy when at all possible) that I could try first. I have contacted Vortex to start the process. Do you know if they fix it or replace it for this type of issue?
Old 05-12-2013, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I've heard of such problems from from applying too much torque when mounting the scope into rings...

Are you using a torque wrench?
Old 05-12-2013, 3:41 PM

I did use a torque wrench. Vortex manual said to use the ring manufacturers specs. Weaver said to use a setting of 15-20 inch lbs on the cap screws. I used the minimum at 15 inch lbs. I have shot this rifle 2-3 times prior to today and the spots were not there. I had the rifle out last night to set up my gear and it was not there, this morning it was. I will ask vortex about the rings. I used weaver rings that were 6 screw to distribute the holding force across a wider surface area on the scope tube to prevent damaging anything. Did I do wrong?
Old 05-13-2013, 3:08 PM

Figured I would update the thread in case anyone else came across this problem.

First and foremost, Vortex customer service is awesome! I am under some time constraints as I have had an outing planned with my brother for a few weeks now. We don't get together often, so this is important to me. They upgraded and picked up the tab for overnight shipping both ways, where typically the customer pays to get it there.

After speaking with Vortex, occasionally too much grease is applied to the knob or adjustments. If the weather gets warm, the grease melts and when you make an adjustment it sprays inside. In my case, when I unmounted the scope I found a large amount of grease on the bottom of the rear ring. It was seeping out from the zoom adjustment knob.

I feel better because I did not cause the issue with over tightening something or general stupidity, this was just a QC issue that slipped through.

Kudos to Vortex for making it right, and doing so quickly. I will update the thread when I get it back and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for the advice all!
Old 05-13-2013, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice to hear they took care of it like they say.
Old 05-13-2013, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Great to hear they were able to take care of you.

I have a few Vortex scopes, thankfully I haven’t had any problems that needed attention.
Old 05-13-2013, 4:45 PM
Banned

I have heard of a couple people having the issue you described.

I heard about people sending stuff in for problems, and everytime, I hear nothing but great things about the CS/warranty.

I have a vortex razor red dot. Most manufacturers warranty electronics for anywhere from 1 to 5 years. Vortex, unlimited no hassle warranty! Even on red dots! That razor red dot is worth $480... and I never have to worry about it. Ever.

Eotech is only 2 years and you have to pay shipping!

Here's vortex warranty for others that are curious- Kind of the same as loopy glass, but loopy electronics have a short period of coverage.

Phone: (800) 426-0048 x4
Email: service@vortexoptics.com
Hours
We're open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.
Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.

•Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product.

•Tripods are covered by our 3-Year Limited Warranty.
Old 05-13-2013, 5:47 PM

I must say, I was not surprised that they took care of it; but to go out of their way to get it done in time for me to make my trip was, to me, above and beyond! Odd problem to have, but not everything makes it through modern manufacturing processes perfect everytime. I believe I will have to expand my optics collection a little with some more Vortex products.
Old 05-14-2013, 6:43 PM
Banned

Vortex doesnt actually manufacture any products that I'm aware of.

They set the specs for the products to be built for them.

They are made in the SAME factory that makes other high end optics like nightforce and others. So... your $800 ish vortex was made in the same factory, by the same people with the same quality control as a $2k+ nightforce.

The difference in vortex product lines is the quality of the glass and components that go into it. They try to offer something in each price point, with better product than the competition at the price.

For instance a vortex razor scope (not my red dot) is near the same quality as a schmidt and bender, swaro, usoptics, premier reticle- for nearly half the price.

That they expitited shipping for you is just tits!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Just an FYI to all, I sent my scope in on Monday, Vortex picked up the expedited shipping to get it to them. Today is Wednesday and I received shipping notification that they were sending it back overnight. Out, fixed, and back in 3 days! To anyone who is considering this brand, when they say their warranty is VIP, they are not just talking the talk.