Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Colt mainspring housing on Springfield????

I have a Springfield 9mm 1911 that I put a Cylinder and Slide ignition kit in.
I could not use the mainspring that came in the kit due to the Springfield one being shorter, so I used the OEM Springfield one, and the trigger is a bit heavier than I would like.
I would like to get an Ed Brown mainspring housing to get rid of the OEM lock setup, and be able to use the C&S spring. I was wondering which one to order, Colt or Springfield style.
I have a rounded mainspring housing off of a Colt that I could try to see if it would work, but figured I'd ask and save myself some unneeded labor. What say you guys???
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 PM

Colt MSH. I imagine the Springfield one is tailored to work with the ILS
Old 05-12-2013, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd definitely make sure I'm using the complete setup for either the ILS type or the non-ILS type (my choice). Most of the aftermarket msh's will work, you just need to make sure they come with the internal parts or order them separately. The Springfield Armory ILS models use a heavy mainspring to help drive the titanium firing pin they use to make it drop safe; I'm not sure how light of a mainspring you can run and still get reliable ignition but I would think a couple pounds lighter shouldn't matter.

I believe the last time I ordered an Ed Brown msh it was complete.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 05-12-2013 at 8:51 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkenbach View Post
I have a Springfield 9mm 1911 that I put a Cylinder and Slide ignition kit in.
I could not use the mainspring that came in the kit due to the Springfield one being shorter, so I used the OEM Springfield one, and the trigger is a bit heavier than I would like.
I would like to get an Ed Brown mainspring housing to get rid of the OEM lock setup, and be able to use the C&S spring. I was wondering which one to order, Colt or Springfield style.
I have a rounded mainspring housing off of a Colt that I could try to see if it would work, but figured I'd ask and save myself some unneeded labor. What say you guys???
I bought a SA 9mm 1911 as well. How do you like it? What is an "ignition kit"? I have not heard that term before.

Also, here is a link to a 1911 form that has some great info; http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

www.CaliforniaFishingHoles.com Your guide to the best fishing holes in California.

www.facebook.com/CaliforniaFishingHoles
Old 05-12-2013, 3:15 PM

Thank you redcliff, that's what I was looking for. Brian5271, an ignition kit is, at the very least, a hammer, sear, and disconnector. A deluxe kit usually has the leaf and mainspring as well.
I like Cylinder and Slide products due to high quality and "drop in" performance. You still have to do the safety checks, but usually don't have to do any work to any of the machined parts, and they work great!!!
I love the 9mm 1911, now I have to work up some loads for it. You're gonna love it the more you shoot it!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 3:39 PM

That makes sense now. I did not get the fact that Cylinder and Slide was a brand name. I keept trying to figure out what you would put on your slide that could be called an ignition kit, or for that matter, I could not figure out what part of a 1911 you would call a cylinder. I understand now. lol

www.CaliforniaFishingHoles.com Your guide to the best fishing holes in California.

www.facebook.com/CaliforniaFishingHoles

Last edited by brian5271; 05-12-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 4:44 PM

Careful the SA loaded 9mm can be addicting I bought mine about a year and can not leave it home when I go to the range. I have to make sure I shoot whatever else I bring or I will just forget about them and only shoot the SA loaded 9mm. The other bad thing is your also want to improve and personalize it. I sent mine to the SA custom shop and had some work done on it.

checkenbach I put a Ed Brown chainlink MSH with mag guide on mine with new mainspring cap and retainer and a 19 lb spring with no problems. When it went back to SA I had them blend the magwell, put the chainlink design on the front strap, flush cut and crown the barrel, fiber optic front sight and paint or coat (whichever they do) the parts of the frame and slide that was the grayish color. Here's a few bad cell phone pics of it.

Old 05-12-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ very nice. I just ordered the EB MSH & magwel for my S.A. 1911, along with the pins, cap and spring to replace the ILS. I am going with a 20lb spring but also ordered a 23lb just in case.
Old 05-12-2013, 9:37 PM

Very Nice, Red Hemi!!!!