Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM
hadjin's Avatar
hadjin hadjin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N Bay, above SF
Posts: 307
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default Medal of Honor recipients using a Colt 1911..

I was overwhelmed by the courage of these very young heros profiled in the article.

*Moderators... I felt their courage and bravery needed to shared somewhere on this site, I was unsure where. Thank you


..."An event eerily reminiscent of Sgt. Turner’s posthumous action on Saipan occurred in June 1951. Private First Class Jack Hanson, a 20-year-old Mississippian, volunteered to cover the withdrawal of four wounded men from his squad. When his platoon counterattacked, his body was found with machine gun ammunition expended, his right hand grasping an M1911 with the slide locked back, and a bloody machete in his left hand. More than 20 enemy bodies were found nearby." ..

... "Two of the most remarkable M1911 actions came in the Marianas in June and July 1944. The Army’s 27th Division, stalled in its advance on Saipan, met determined Japanese defenses in depth. Private Thomas A. Baker of the same regiment as Lt. Turner in 1918 had received a Medal nomination for his courage and initiative in reducing enemy bunkers during June. By July 7 he was a sergeant manning a perimeter attacked by thousands of Japanese from three sides. Though wounded, Baker remained on the line, fired his rifle empty, and then used it as a club. Baker declined the chance to be evacuated in the forced withdrawal, saying he did not want to slow his men’s progress. He asked to be left with the last ammunition available—an M1911 containing eight rounds. ... The citation said, “When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker’s body was found in the same position, gun empty, with eight Japanese lying dead before him.” ...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/articles.cfm?id=105
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Dattebayo's Avatar
Dattebayo Dattebayo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,271
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadjin View Post
I was overwhelmed by the courage of these very young heros profiled in the article.

*Moderators... I felt their courage and bravery needed to shared somewhere on this site, I was unsure where. Thank you


..."An event eerily reminiscent of Sgt. Turner’s posthumous action on Saipan occurred in June 1951. Private First Class Jack Hanson, a 20-year-old Mississippian, volunteered to cover the withdrawal of four wounded men from his squad. When his platoon counterattacked, his body was found with machine gun ammunition expended, his right hand grasping an M1911 with the slide locked back, and a bloody machete in his left hand. More than 20 enemy bodies were found nearby." ..

... "Two of the most remarkable M1911 actions came in the Marianas in June and July 1944. The Army’s 27th Division, stalled in its advance on Saipan, met determined Japanese defenses in depth. Private Thomas A. Baker of the same regiment as Lt. Turner in 1918 had received a Medal nomination for his courage and initiative in reducing enemy bunkers during June. By July 7 he was a sergeant manning a perimeter attacked by thousands of Japanese from three sides. Though wounded, Baker remained on the line, fired his rifle empty, and then used it as a club. Baker declined the chance to be evacuated in the forced withdrawal, saying he did not want to slow his men’s progress. He asked to be left with the last ammunition available—an M1911 containing eight rounds. ... The citation said, “When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker’s body was found in the same position, gun empty, with eight Japanese lying dead before him.” ...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/articles.cfm?id=105
I have meet a few soldiers from WWII during my time in ROTC and many of them felt the 1911 was a big proponent to winning the war.

Cool story!
__________________
Česká Zbrojovka CZ 452 Trainer 22LR / CZ 712 - 26'' Barrel 12ga
Česká Zbrojovka CZ P-07 Duty OD Green / 2014 P-07 Black / 75B 9mm SAO / 75B 40SW SAO / P-01 NATO
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 / M&P 9c / M&P 9Shield / M&P 15T / M&P10
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
mlevans66's Avatar
mlevans66 mlevans66 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Behind the Palm Tree Curtain, comrades.
Posts: 7,905
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Great story of a bad@zz soldier but as for the 1911 it was good for it's time. Mind you I have a 1911 and enjoy shooting it but newer 45 shooters are way better for todays wars. Yes I know some military still use 1911 but the FN, Glock, Sig (not 1911) and XD lines hold more rounds, easier to clean and just as tuff as a 1911. Still a good weapon and great at that time but Im a fan of the newer shooters. Still that soldier was truly a warrior.
__________________
The liberal see's the glass as half full and tries to take more.
The conservative see's glass as half empty and tries to keep it that way.
I'm with the people on the side just pouring water in the glass trying to get a drink!


WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Mr.1904 Mr.1904 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1904(SD)
Posts: 3,320
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

"Gun empty, with eight dead japanese laying before him".

That's bad ***. These gentlemen were true heroes
__________________
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
sfbay's Avatar
sfbay sfbay is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,648
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Awesome story!
__________________
You get what you get and you don't get upset !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2013, 8:13 PM
DuckHunter DuckHunter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 74
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Thanks for sharing this. I don't think we honor our heroes like we should..... I love 1911s, but can you imagine being wounded, propped against a tree with a 45 (and presumably only 1 mag), while everyone else was pulling back? That to me is true heroism, and worthy of our respect.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM
jessegpresley's Avatar
jessegpresley jessegpresley is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 3,870
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

It's the man, not the machine. I love 1911s but the tool is irrelevant when speaking about these warriors.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Malmon Malmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,151
iTrader: 134 / 100%
Default

These men are heroes armed with a weapon made for heroes.
Quote:
In any case, the old warhorse shows no sign of retirement, despite its nominal replacement by the M9. But as long as special operations forces continue carrying John Browning’s superb sidearm, the potential remains unabated as the M1911 reaches its centennial.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is offline
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 13,520
iTrader: 297 / 100%
Default

Like those heroes who perished so young, the 1911 is frozen in time as a permanent fixture in the hands of those who would go willingly into harms way, whether it be 1918, 1944, 1969, 1991, or 2013.

God Bless our Troops and the tools given to them by JMB.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2013, 5:14 AM
negolien's Avatar
negolien negolien is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,649
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I remember hearing about an action during the initial attack into Iraq where a company recived a unit commendation for fighting off an attack by a determined enemy who eventually was faught off with helmets and Empty ammo boxes. There are always heroes in action because their fighting for their buddies lives not for some abstract ideology..Nice story though thanks for posting
__________________
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-12-2013, 2:07 PM
negolien's Avatar
negolien negolien is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,649
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Talking just a thought

Was just browsing the other posts and I almost fell over at the thought of something. Someone posted that there are newer .45 cals that are better shooters than the 1911. I thought well hell that's true but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun
__________________
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2013, 7:05 AM
den888's Avatar
den888 den888 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,282
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Good story, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2013, 8:03 AM
Garandimal's Avatar
Garandimal Garandimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,275
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

R.I.P.




GR
__________________
“...Cogito, ergo armatum sum..."

(I think, therefore I am armed.)


-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-13-2013, 9:50 AM
BrassCase's Avatar
BrassCase BrassCase is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Ramon
Posts: 1,736
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

No doubt about the courage and bravery of the American Soldier.
__________________
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
Guns owned:
Mr. Obama has asked me not to speak about such things over the internet
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-13-2013, 9:55 AM
Lead Waster's Avatar
Lead Waster Lead Waster is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 14,281
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Hey, don't forget about Sgt Alvin York!

And to give credit where it's due, you could have put ANY gun in those Hero's hands and the results would be the same, it wasn't the 1911 that was the hero, it was the soldier.

Heck, if they had GLock21s, they would have been found with 14 dead enemies around them, instead of 8!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-13-2013, 9:56 AM
Lead Waster's Avatar
Lead Waster Lead Waster is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 14,281
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Was just browsing the other posts and I almost fell over at the thought of something. Someone posted that there are newer .45 cals that are better shooters than the 1911. I thought well hell that's true but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun
I'm guessing that you can...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
negolien's Avatar
negolien negolien is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,649
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

/sigh never fails
__________________
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
redcliff's Avatar
redcliff redcliff is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 5,171
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Hey, don't forget about Sgt Alvin York!

And to give credit where it's due, you could have put ANY gun in those Hero's hands and the results would be the same, it wasn't the 1911 that was the hero, it was the soldier.

Heck, if they had GLock21s, they would have been found with 14 dead enemies around them, instead of 8!
Or they would of missed with their first shot due to the mushy trigger pull on the GLock and got killed, that is if they weren't in the field hospital from GLock leg in the first place

I believe there are over 56 cases of MoH recipients using 1911's; perhaps someday some plastic pistol will surpass that mark, but I rather doubt it.
__________________
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
"What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
"An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-13-2013, 2:05 PM
negolien's Avatar
negolien negolien is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,649
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

That was the reasoning behind the Beretta's for the military. Though I' am seeing alot of .45's again. I think really that's why alot of people in Calif. like the .45 because you don't have the choice of either 10 rounds of .45 or a double stack of 9mm. The 9's have given up the only advantage they had.

As for the "but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun" was something called humor due to the heft of the 1911 platform.
__________________
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
send it_hit's Avatar
send it_hit send it_hit is offline
Tere Hanges Chairman
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area, PRK
Posts: 2,217
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default



idk if I will ever admire anyone more, than those who died fighting for this country.
__________________
"They don't think it be like it is... But it do."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.