Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Medal of Honor recipients using a Colt 1911..

I was overwhelmed by the courage of these very young heros profiled in the article.

*Moderators... I felt their courage and bravery needed to shared somewhere on this site, I was unsure where. Thank you

..."An event eerily reminiscent of Sgt. Turner’s posthumous action on Saipan occurred in June 1951. Private First Class Jack Hanson, a 20-year-old Mississippian, volunteered to cover the withdrawal of four wounded men from his squad. When his platoon counterattacked, his body was found with machine gun ammunition expended, his right hand grasping an M1911 with the slide locked back, and a bloody machete in his left hand. More than 20 enemy bodies were found nearby." ..

... "Two of the most remarkable M1911 actions came in the Marianas in June and July 1944. The Army’s 27th Division, stalled in its advance on Saipan, met determined Japanese defenses in depth. Private Thomas A. Baker of the same regiment as Lt. Turner in 1918 had received a Medal nomination for his courage and initiative in reducing enemy bunkers during June. By July 7 he was a sergeant manning a perimeter attacked by thousands of Japanese from three sides. Though wounded, Baker remained on the line, fired his rifle empty, and then used it as a club. Baker declined the chance to be evacuated in the forced withdrawal, saying he did not want to slow his men’s progress. He asked to be left with the last ammunition available—an M1911 containing eight rounds. ... The citation said, “When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker’s body was found in the same position, gun empty, with eight Japanese lying dead before him.” ...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/articles.cfm?id=105
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadjin View Post
I was overwhelmed by the courage of these very young heros profiled in the article.

*Moderators... I felt their courage and bravery needed to shared somewhere on this site, I was unsure where. Thank you

..."An event eerily reminiscent of Sgt. Turner’s posthumous action on Saipan occurred in June 1951. Private First Class Jack Hanson, a 20-year-old Mississippian, volunteered to cover the withdrawal of four wounded men from his squad. When his platoon counterattacked, his body was found with machine gun ammunition expended, his right hand grasping an M1911 with the slide locked back, and a bloody machete in his left hand. More than 20 enemy bodies were found nearby." ..

... "Two of the most remarkable M1911 actions came in the Marianas in June and July 1944. The Army’s 27th Division, stalled in its advance on Saipan, met determined Japanese defenses in depth. Private Thomas A. Baker of the same regiment as Lt. Turner in 1918 had received a Medal nomination for his courage and initiative in reducing enemy bunkers during June. By July 7 he was a sergeant manning a perimeter attacked by thousands of Japanese from three sides. Though wounded, Baker remained on the line, fired his rifle empty, and then used it as a club. Baker declined the chance to be evacuated in the forced withdrawal, saying he did not want to slow his men’s progress. He asked to be left with the last ammunition available—an M1911 containing eight rounds. ... The citation said, “When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker’s body was found in the same position, gun empty, with eight Japanese lying dead before him.” ...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/articles.cfm?id=105
I have meet a few soldiers from WWII during my time in ROTC and many of them felt the 1911 was a big proponent to winning the war.

Cool story!
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Great story of a bad@zz soldier but as for the 1911 it was good for it's time. Mind you I have a 1911 and enjoy shooting it but newer 45 shooters are way better for todays wars. Yes I know some military still use 1911 but the FN, Glock, Sig (not 1911) and XD lines hold more rounds, easier to clean and just as tuff as a 1911. Still a good weapon and great at that time but Im a fan of the newer shooters. Still that soldier was truly a warrior.

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

"Gun empty, with eight dead japanese laying before him".

That's bad ***. These gentlemen were true heroes
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awesome story!
Old 05-11-2013, 8:13 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I don't think we honor our heroes like we should..... I love 1911s, but can you imagine being wounded, propped against a tree with a 45 (and presumably only 1 mag), while everyone else was pulling back? That to me is true heroism, and worthy of our respect.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

It's the man, not the machine. I love 1911s but the tool is irrelevant when speaking about these warriors.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 PM

These men are heroes armed with a weapon made for heroes.
Quote:
In any case, the old warhorse shows no sign of retirement, despite its nominal replacement by the M9. But as long as special operations forces continue carrying John Browning’s superb sidearm, the potential remains unabated as the M1911 reaches its centennial.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Like those heroes who perished so young, the 1911 is frozen in time as a permanent fixture in the hands of those who would go willingly into harms way, whether it be 1918, 1944, 1969, 1991, or 2013.

God Bless our Troops and the tools given to them by JMB.
Old 05-12-2013, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

I remember hearing about an action during the initial attack into Iraq where a company recived a unit commendation for fighting off an attack by a determined enemy who eventually was faught off with helmets and Empty ammo boxes. There are always heroes in action because their fighting for their buddies lives not for some abstract ideology..Nice story though thanks for posting

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 05-12-2013, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Talking just a thought

Was just browsing the other posts and I almost fell over at the thought of something. Someone posted that there are newer .45 cals that are better shooters than the 1911. I thought well hell that's true but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun

George Orwell

Old 05-13-2013, 7:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Good story, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-2013, 8:03 AM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

R.I.P.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 05-13-2013, 9:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No doubt about the courage and bravery of the American Soldier.
Old 05-13-2013, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hey, don't forget about Sgt Alvin York!

And to give credit where it's due, you could have put ANY gun in those Hero's hands and the results would be the same, it wasn't the 1911 that was the hero, it was the soldier.

Heck, if they had GLock21s, they would have been found with 14 dead enemies around them, instead of 8!
Old 05-13-2013, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Was just browsing the other posts and I almost fell over at the thought of something. Someone posted that there are newer .45 cals that are better shooters than the 1911. I thought well hell that's true but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun
I'm guessing that you can...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

/sigh never fails

George Orwell

Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Hey, don't forget about Sgt Alvin York!

And to give credit where it's due, you could have put ANY gun in those Hero's hands and the results would be the same, it wasn't the 1911 that was the hero, it was the soldier.

Heck, if they had GLock21s, they would have been found with 14 dead enemies around them, instead of 8!
Or they would of missed with their first shot due to the mushy trigger pull on the GLock and got killed, that is if they weren't in the field hospital from GLock leg in the first place

I believe there are over 56 cases of MoH recipients using 1911's; perhaps someday some plastic pistol will surpass that mark, but I rather doubt it.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 05-13-2013, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

That was the reasoning behind the Beretta's for the military. Though I' am seeing alot of .45's again. I think really that's why alot of people in Calif. like the .45 because you don't have the choice of either 10 rounds of .45 or a double stack of 9mm. The 9's have given up the only advantage they had.

As for the "but you can't beat someone to death with a plastic gun" was something called humor due to the heft of the 1911 platform.

George Orwell

Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Tere Hanges Chairman
CGN Contributor

idk if I will ever admire anyone more, than those who died fighting for this country.