Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

my buddy won one of those in a raffle....great gun. some people just aren't happy unless they are criticizing others choices. go buy a Hi-Point C9 now just to piss them off even more

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 06-24-2013, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yep IC & C for skeet and either F or IM for trap at least from the 16 yard line.
I had belonged to Miramar Skeet & Trap range later San Diego Shotgun Sports until we got shut down still payed my dues a extra year but gave up on the, there is some trap here at a couple of the ranges but no skeet I'm aware of. I was hooked at 5 stand when Miramar had it. It would be a all day affair for me to drive up to some of the ranges I see members here using, haven't shot any shotgun sports in a few years now, wasn't a trap fan did shoot it but skeet was my choice do have 75 straight patches in 12, 20 and 28, that said I've owned three .410 skeet guns but no .410 any more to humbling for me.

Old 06-24-2013, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IMO those who said you wasted your money honestly just can't come to terms they wanted their money spending $4k on a O/U.

A simple 870 can do just about the same as any O/U out there. All your paying for is style, class, precision and fit of the shot gun it self. Other than that they all spit out the same amount of pellets.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-24-2013, 3:03 PM

Looks like a nice shotgun! All that matters is whether or not it was in YOUR price range and whether or not it is what YOU want. Everyone else can go pound sand.

I've been a Browning guy since my Dad first let me shoot his Auto-5 when I was 10 or so. He had a Superposed for a while, too. He gave me my own Auto-5 when I turned 16, and with that one and three of the four he left me (one is with a good friend), I own four. I also have owned two Citori O/U, a field grade Lightning and my current skeet/sporting clays gun, a 425 which I love and will leave to my child.

I will tell you that because of all that, I am 100% spoiled. And that's probably a bad thing.

Good luck to you with your CZ.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:21 PM

Mod choke is plenty tight for 16yd trap. I use IC for my first shot at 16yd continental.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....
Old 06-25-2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyte74 View Post
Been outta town for a while so I'm just getting back to this thread. Some asked how much OTD....it was $912.

I've already put more than 1k rounds through it and it shoots just fine and has performed flawlessly. The action was really tight at first, requiring quite a bit of effort to open, but that has loosened up quite a bit. It still requires effort to open, but nothing like it used to. I imagine it may loosen up a bit more though.

I used it for the SoCal skeet clinic and I have shot a lot of trap with it since I have had it and have had zero issues. Like I said, it shoots great, way better than I am capable of at this point.

It's a nice gun and fits my intentions perfectly. I wanted a skeet/trap/field gun and this one fills the bill nicely. Is it the best trap gun out there? Nope, it's not designed to be and as I shoot more clays/learn more about the sport I am sure I will realize some of its limitations in that arena. When my abilities catch up to the limitations of the gun in regards to trap and skeet maybe I'll think about getting a gun more suited to clay shooting, but I imagine that is years down the road.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're happy with it. I'll be getting mine out of jail today
Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM

Well I ran into an issue with my CZ Redhead recently. I've mostly been shooting trap, firing the bottom barrell way more than the top. Decided to shoot doubles the other day. First few stations went fine, but on the third station going for the second clay the top barrell failed to fire. It produced an audible click way weaker sounding than normal. Tried again and both barrells fired fine. However, the top barrel fail to fires became more frequent. Had one of the more experienced fellows take a look, and he said it sounded like the sear was not being pushed far enough to release the hammer.

I contacted CZ and explained what was happening. The person I talked to there said the same thing, selector block may not be pushing the sear far enough to release the hammer. They sent me a shipping label and I dropped it in the mail the other day. Since I have mainly been shooting trap singles, 90% of my shooting has been with the bottom barrel, kind of weird this would happen to the top barrel.

According to the serial #, mine was made this year. I know CZ had a common problem like this in the past, but I thought they fixed the issue. Still completely happy with the gun and can't wait to get it back. I just hope they replace whatever parts with something a little more durable.
Old 07-30-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyte74 View Post
Well I ran into an issue with my CZ Redhead recently. I've mostly been shooting trap, firing the bottom barrell way more than the top. Decided to shoot doubles the other day. First few stations went fine, but on the third station going for the second clay the top barrell failed to fire. It produced an audible click way weaker sounding than normal. Tried again and both barrells fired fine. However, the top barrel fail to fires became more frequent. Had one of the more experienced fellows take a look, and he said it sounded like the sear was not being pushed far enough to release the hammer.

I contacted CZ and explained what was happening. The person I talked to there said the same thing, selector block may not be pushing the sear far enough to release the hammer. They sent me a shipping label and I dropped it in the mail the other day. Since I have mainly been shooting trap singles, 90% of my shooting has been with the bottom barrel, kind of weird this would happen to the top barrel.

According to the serial #, mine was made this year. I know CZ had a common problem like this in the past, but I thought they fixed the issue. Still completely happy with the gun and can't wait to get it back. I just hope they replace whatever parts with something a little more durable.
So not what I wanted to hear, I have been looking at the CZ target 12 gauge to get me back into trap/skeet. I used to go though 4-5K or so rounds a year and I was hoping that you were reporting back the all clear.
Old 07-30-2013, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not a shotgun snob but for +$900 you should be able to find a used Beretta 686 onyx or basic level browning o/u. Those two "B" guns have such a proven track record that you most likely would never need to replsce them and they are not overly expensive.

I tried many many shotguns in my early years before settling on my Beretta 686. I've bought and sold many tacticool shotguns since then but still to this day I have never desired another sporting shotgun. If I amortize my Beretta purchase over the last 20 years of satisficfaction it works out to pocket change.

I'm very fond of that gun and a lot of it may have to do with how much I hand to work/save to buy it. It's quality that I'll always appreciate.
Old 07-30-2013, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

nice looking gun!
Old 07-30-2013, 7:16 PM

I picked up a Redhead mini in 28 ga. 2 years ago and nary a problem with it.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 07-31-2013, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up You found a great gun...

...and keep in mind breaking birds is like fly fishing or photography...5% rod or camera, 95% the person behind it.

Wife got into an informal contest with a couple of jerkoffs using guns around the $10K range. She shoots a Winshester .410 pump, they were using 28 ga.

After 4 rounds at $5 a bird, she left with > $100 of their money and bought us both dinner.

Have some knowledgeable help you with proper fit, take a lesson or 2, and shoot a bunch of bullets. Have fun.

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2013, 7:09 AM

F'ing "jerkoff's" and their $10,000 guns. Did you even read all the posts before you replied? Obviously you don't need an expensive gun to be exactly what you are accusing others of being.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CZ's rock.
Have fun and go powder some clay birds.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
Any one who doesnt shoot an OU that cost at least 15 hundred couldnt possibly shoot worth a damn.

You go bud I hope you school some of those stuck up gun divas.

The main things are safety, responsibility, enjoyment, and satisfaction.

If the man is safe and responsible while enjoying his gun to his satisfaction, what does it matter how much it cost?

I've never personally run into a "gun diva" although I have heard about them and read about them...

But again, as I said, I have never personally met one.

I did have a gun store owner that wouldn't even let me touch the Galil he had on the rack because in his words, "that's a genuine semi-auto Israeli Galil, do you have $2,500 in cash and are you ready to buy it right now today?" and I said, "I'd just like to look" and he said, "well then you can look all you want, with your eyes."

To contrast with the gun divas, I had some experiences for about 1-2 years with some downright jealous "peasant" types, the exact opposite of the diva. People who had very thinly veiled resentment, and sometimes even outright and open hostility, to the fact that they could not afford AR-15 type rifles [it didn't help that neither man was able to afford more than two guns to begin with] and they knew I had AR-15 type rifles and different pistols.

It is your money, spend it as you wish. I cannot say I would spend $4,000 dollars for any OU shotgun or any shotgun at all for that matter, but I might very well spend $4,000 dollars on guns, although I'd be aiming to wind up with a crate of Yugo M59s, two crates of 91/30s, or 3 Colt 6920s with money left over for optics, mags, and ammo.
Old 08-02-2013, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dick View Post
F'ing "jerkoff's" and their $10,000 guns. Did you even read all the posts before you replied? Obviously you don't need an expensive gun to be exactly what you are accusing others of being.
Sound like you have some hostility in you!

Personally I think $912 is a lot money and if you research a little and search around you will find a reliable used "snob brand" gun that some snob got bored with and put on consignment. I see deals on o/u guns fairly regularly but then I'm a gun guy and I'm always visiting gun shops. I think people are selling their pretty guns so they can buy black guns.
Old 08-02-2013, 7:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Wife got into an informal contest with a couple of jerkoffs using guns around the $10K range. She shoots a Winshester .410 pump, they were using 28 ga.

After 4 rounds at $5 a bird, she left with > $100 of their money and bought us both dinner.
Some years back, I went on a father/son trap shoot with my son and his buddies. They all had quite a bit of experience, and I had never done it before. All of my shooting has been at varmints. One of the fathers had brought along his new $4000 (that must be the number) shotgun, so I pretty much figured I'd be an embarrassment to the group. I had to borrow one of the kid's worn out 870 farm guns, and get instructions from my son as to what to do.

There were 14 of us and we got to the range a little late, so we only got one round in. I came in 3rd, and the guy with the expensive gun came in second to last. He was fuming. One of the fathers even asked my son if he was sure I had never shot before.

OP: As far as what you spent on the gun - if you spent the same amount on a fancy dinner at the most expensive restaurant with a few bottles of their best wine, what would you have the next morning?

I doubt that gun will ever be worth less than you paid for it, and I'm sure it will give you pleasure a lot longer.

Last edited by loophole; 08-02-2013 at 10:18 AM..