Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-08-2013, 9:40 PM

Default Battle of the 7" tablets

I'm looking for a tablet for when I travel. It will used primarily for surfing web, games, viewing pictures, and some games.

Choices:
1. Ipad mini
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
3. Google Nexus
4. Kindle Fire HD

If you have any experience with them tell me the pros and cons.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM

If you are going Android, hold out until the Google I/O conference later this month. Google is expected to show off either a new OS (Key Lime Pie 5 or Jelly Bean 4.3) and new/refreshed hardware to run it.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Forget the iFad garbage. Get the Samsung or the Nexus. Both great.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Tablets are stoooopid. Just saying...

Wait a bit, spend a bit more, and get something that you can actually use for tons of things.
http://www.neowin.net/news/acer-reve...e-windows-8-pc
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I got the Galaxy Tab from Verizon after one road trip using my Droid as a hotspot/tethering and a laptop. On the road, I want to do pretty much what you've listed, except that I'm not heavy on games when traveling.

Right out of the box, it wasn't hard to set up and synch email accounts, including Comcast, Gmail, and an additional IMAP mail account. The mail browser lets you see one account at a time, or you can see them all in a combined view (which I found a little confusing at times and don't use). Speed (in 4G) is better than I expected, on wireless it's much, much faster than I expected. The Comcast app gives the tablet additional utility when not traveling as it shows channel lineup and functions as a controller for the cable box also (fun until the wife found out how I was changing the channel when she wasn't looking... lol). Cost is $10 per month more than a data/tethering/hotspot package for my Droid was, and the Tab can be used as a hotspot out of the box.

It's got some down sides... one of them being that sleeves/cases are not as easily available as I would like. It's just enough different from my Droid that the learning curve can be frustrating at times. Turning off the autocorrect was particularly sucky, but I got it done tonight.

All in all, I'm happy with it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 PM

Nexus
Old 05-09-2013, 5:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
Forget the iFad garbage. Get the Samsung or the Nexus. Both great.
Ya listen to this guy, Apple products are fads

Not knocking you for Apple hating, but at least come up with a better name, iFad doesn't even make sense.

Sent from my iPad to your face.

OP, if money's not an issue give Apple a shot. For what you want to do with it the iPad mini excels at. If money is an issue get one of the less expensive brands. Also a retina display mini will be out by fall if you can wait. I personally can't wait for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-09-2013, 7:10 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

How about iLag.

I have the Kindle Hire HD and love it. My wife is getting the iLag for Mother's Day. The kids use the previous iLag and seem to love them. We are a diverse group and are all happy with our decisions.

Depending upon what you intend to use it for would influence the decision. If you want a more protected and closed environment go with Apple and to some extent Kindle Fire HD. If you want a more general use tablet look to the Nexus or Galaxy.

With the Kindle you can utilize the same apps on any of the other standard tablets, you just have to install a couple of other intermediate apps first. Note, if you are not an avid user of Amazon I would not consider the Kindle Fire HD.

Last edited by MaHoTex; 05-09-2013 at 7:15 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 8:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It just depends on your habits. If you're a huge Amazon user and watch Amazon Prime videos and don't mind a somewhat closed/dumbed-down interface then the Kindle Fire HD is decent choice, and it has excellent parental controls. But if you aren't a big Amazon person I'd skip the Fire.

The same limitations go with the iPad Mini only with iTunes instead of Amazon.

If you want a more open environment the Nexus 7 is a nice way to go, but it cannot play Amazon Prime videos because it does not support Flash video. As someone else noted they are supposed to be refreshing the Nexus 7 with new hardware this summer.

With all of the above I recommend buying as much built in storage as you can because none of them allows you to add a SD card or MicroSD card and you'll want as much room as possible to load up ripped videos before your trip. Each of the above companies made that choice because they want to force you to buy and stream movies online and from them only.

If memory serves the Samsung allows you to bring a library of MicroSD cards full of content with you but I can't recall the specs of the tablet and how they compare.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 05-09-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 8:31 AM

Your choices are basically Android vs iOS. I'd start by going with whichever OS your cellphone uses so you can share apps.

I have the original Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet (aka the ipad2 killer that Apple sued Samsung over for patent infringement) and I like it a lot. Samsung release the Tab 2 which had similar specs, but had larger dimensions. I'd cross the Tab 2 off your list because it doesn't have any advantages over the others.

The Kindle Fire and Nexus are both pretty awesome, but like others have mentioned, right now is a bad time to buy a new tablet. It's better to wait for the next gen. Having said that, I'd get the ipad 7"
Old 05-09-2013, 8:33 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post

Wait a bit, spend a bit more, and get something that you can actually use for tons of things.
This is not even for the same target consumer.

Tablets are good when used as intended. They are not intended to be used as a replacement for a PC/Laptop/Notebook.
Old 05-09-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
This is not even for the same target consumer.

Tablets are good when used as intended. They are not intended to be used as a replacement for a PC/Laptop/Notebook.
True...if it's an Android or iOS tablet. Another option would be to get a 10"-11" Windows 8 tablet with keyboard, which can replace a laptop. However they start at twice the cost of an ipad. I have the Acer W510 with keyboard, and it handles everything I need except for gaming.
Old 05-09-2013, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

ipad mini
Old 05-09-2013, 1:48 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post

People actually do need to look trim and sleek from time to time. During that finite duration they may also need to audit various aspects of their business. Note that I said "audit."

If you were my employee, i would be concerned with your lack of vision and understanding of market need & necessity.
Old 05-09-2013, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
I'm looking for a tablet for when I travel. It will used primarily for surfing web, games, viewing pictures, and some games.

Choices:
1. Ipad mini
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
3. Google Nexus
4. Kindle Fire HD

If you have any experience with them tell me the pros and cons.
I have and run a Google Nexus 7.

Pros: 16GB of storage, USB charging, USB hookup, Built in WIFI/Blue Tooth/GPS/Acceleratometer thingy/BAttery lasts about 10+ hours depending on usage and takes about a couple of hours IF THAT to charge up. Very versatile. Mine runs on ICS Glazed Jellybean (custom hacked OS) The BEST thing, it is VERY versatile. Using a Bluetooth transmitter/reader I can make my Nexus 7 be a OBDII scanner/reader/code clearer + more (I have and DO this), My GN7 is also a pretty good E-book reader, just grab whatever apps you want to read different formats SUCH AS: epub, pdf, djvu, chm, txt, doc, etc. I use one-two different readers mainly. I have the Book of Lee scanned and stored as a PDF so when I go to a gun shop looking for powder I can look up different loads and see what powder they use and then coordinate my purchases to be efficient instead of buying powder I THINK was used, I have a business calendar that I can store all kinds of great info and appointments on. I have SYGIC that will download maps from all over and it is pretty decent at navigation, which I use on a weekly/monthly basis. PLUS I also run "MAPS with ME" which is like google maps, but it will d/l maps for the entire area or wherever I tell it to in order to show MY position on it and in a clear format as I drive around. I also use it for taking notes or audio recording snipits or audio notes, but there is a cool NOTES PLUS program; it can save photos, text and audio and call it/them up on a whim. Finally, Games and learning is great. Angry birds in all flavors and otehr cool games are fun to play. Some games suck but pirate bay has a GREAT assortment of cool things. Also, it has a decent supply of tech tools that you can get. Things that allow you to hack into other networks, track down wifi signals etc. I surprise myself at all of the FREE apps that are available like the periodic table and e-book readers and sudoku and what not. LOTS of apps that are free or cheap as well as more costly ones. This thing is VERY portable and almost fits in the inner pocket on my suit.

CONS: ONLY 16GB of Storage. I have filled mine with all kinds of ebooks for computer tech support to learning things that I can read. The games sometimes SUCK. Yeah, angry birds is cool and I DO enjoy it, but the vast majority of games all follow the same format or they just SUCK. The running games I do not care for. But this device should be used for games lastly. Battery life sometimes drains fast, but not usually. While playing angry birds I get about 4+ hours, but reading a book or two it seems to last for a while., IT IS DELICATE- BE CAREFUL. You MUST get a holder. I have a flip up leather cover/holder for it to give it SOME protection. I got lucky and got mine from a guy that soft-bricked his and then I was able to fix it with the google nexus toolkit and I was able to reload the OS with a new HACKED version and well, it works great. Also, another con is that you need to reboot it about every 3-4 days or so. When things start lagging across the screen, REBOOT has always taken care of the issues. Finally, NO 3G/4G. Only wireless and usb connections (and BT). Get what cho gonna get front and center then take it with you to read later. Also, accessories for this are shadowed by garbage for the icrap stuff. Not many things out there listed as GN7 things, BUT, I got my stuff from amazon and amazon does have a decent selection. Mine is a nice leather holder and it DOES offer some protection, especially with the screen armor (film) but all in all last time I looked accessories were not as hot. Also, if you crack your screen it will run you about $100+ to get a new one and that does not include installation.

Would I buy one again? Yep. I only paid $58 for this one but I would pay up to $200 for one. I wish I could get a storage upgrade for mine though that allowed me to go up to 32+ GB of storage. Only took me 10 months to fill this one, but I have so many job hunting and technical books that I am prepared for a total home network crash and burn. I store all of my reloading books, self improvement books (I know, I do not need any self improvement...) SQL/LINUX/BIBLES/you name it books plus weird books for ice breakers and bible thumpers. (the ever popular 101 contradictions in the bible is a fun read...)

Good luck and I hope I helped you to make an educated purchase decision.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 05-09-2013 at 2:17 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

+1 more for the Nexus.

All the "i"stuff is so ... I won't say it.
Also, you know the commercials comparing the iPad to the Kindle? It's true.
Old 05-09-2013, 2:34 PM

Root the nexus and your storage problems are gone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-09-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttcoco View Post
Root the nexus and your storage problems are gone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
LoL. Mine is rooted. Rooted since the day I got it and set it up.

Some of my e-books are rather large. Like several hundred megs or so. at this point I have 1.9GB of space left.

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 05-09-2013, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
CONS: ONLY 16GB of Storage.
Great summary! That's why I bought the 32GB Nexus 7, but you can still access more thumb drive storage though a dongle and Nexus Media Importer (rooting not necessary). It's funky but at least you can take more movies with you on vacation and just transfer them over. Or you can transfer files on and off over wifi using ES File Explorer.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Old 05-09-2013, 4:18 PM

+1 for iPad mini

I have the mini, nexus, and tab for work...but iPad gets my vote
Old 05-09-2013, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

i like our google nexus 7 great intro price 200-250$
Old 05-09-2013, 5:01 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I personally rock an iPad 3 but my phone is a droid. I just bought me Ma a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for Mother's Day to replace her older Kindle. I will report back how she likes it.
Old 05-09-2013, 5:31 PM

I got the Nexus 7, the primary use was to be in the aircraft running Garmin Pilot, Naviator or whichever app I settle on. The comparable iPad mini (with gps) is just short of $600, the 32 gig Nexus was $250. +1 to all the comments about the battery life etc. It's also go a very bright screen that is readable even under a bubble canopy.

So far I have no complaints, it's been great! Supposedly the new Nexus is going to be launched in June or July so you might want to wait for that.
Old 05-09-2013, 5:47 PM
In Memoriam

Get a library card. Use it.
Old 05-09-2013, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
I got the Nexus 7, the primary use was to be in the aircraft running Garmin Pilot, Naviator or whichever app I settle on. The comparable iPad mini (with gps) is just short of $600, the 32 gig Nexus was $250. +1 to all the comments about the battery life etc. It's also go a very bright screen that is readable even under a bubble canopy.
$600 iPad mini?? Try $300 range...
Old 05-09-2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
$600 iPad mini?? Try $300 range...
Negative, if you read my post I said "comparable", and the mission for the device is to run software that requires stand alone GPS. To get that and 32 gigs you have to buy the 4g mini, MSPR $559. I have three Apple computers, I would have bought the mini if it made sense.
Old 05-09-2013, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Great summary! That's why I bought the 32GB Nexus 7, but you can still access more thumb drive storage though a dongle and Nexus Media Importer (rooting not necessary). It's funky but at least you can take more movies with you on vacation and just transfer them over. Or you can transfer files on and off over wifi using ES File Explorer.
I have NOT yet looked for anymore accessories, but now I will because THAT is what I think I am looking for.

OF course nothing beats a removable SD card for upgrading storage also.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My guess is that the tablet market will shrink dramatically as mobiles get larger and more powerful and and notebooks get slimmer with better battery life. I rarely use my Asus Transformer tablet now that I have a Galaxy S4 phone and Asus Zenbook notebook.
Old 05-10-2013, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Ya know, It just hit me, don't leave out the Palm IIIc. I have one if you want it for $15.00 brand new I think with original box, accessories, and a cd of appz for it...

The Nexus views photos very well and it is very good with pdf magazines. THe only real issues that I have are that if I turn the screen sideways it completely blacks out, but that is only because I have polarized sunglasses on. IF you also wear polarized sunglasses (I wear mine all day long) you should get another pair that is NOT polarized (do you REALLY need it all of the time anyways? No, just for fishing...). The other day I tried to view my screen outside and it was killed by the sunlight, but then I realized that I did not have the screen turned on. Once I turned on the brightness I found that it can be VERY bright even outside. I run mine with the light off to save on the battery and to be honest, I do not need the light on when I am inside because it shows up just fine.

Old 05-10-2013, 3:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I have NOT yet looked for anymore accessories, but now I will because THAT is what I think I am looking for.

OF course nothing beats a removable SD card for upgrading storage also.
Seagate makes a pocket sized battery powered wifi enabled 1TB drive for use with tablets. It's $200 so it's not cheap.

If you'd rather go the dongle route you can buy them on Amazon for less than $5 but you need to buy the app.

Old 05-10-2013, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hd fire
George Patton
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM

I got a samsung tab and a apple mini ... I like my Samsung better cause your able to do a lot more with it then the mini
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM

Over the years I've owned 5 android tablets. I tend to stick to android since I like to be able to tinker with it. For OP's purposes, if you are using open email accounts, then any tablet will do. If you are stuck to the itunes world then you are out of luck and have to get an ipad. Kindles to me are sort of the one trick pony like the ipads. You are stuck to the Amazon world order. Samsung is nice but I was never a fan of the touchwiz and the slow OS update. Nexus 7 is a good choice in my view. You can get around the storage issue by rooting the device and install stickmount. You get a special usb cable from ebay for like $4 that connects the micro usb to a full usb adapter. Then you can just plug in USB drives. It's a bit more bulky but it give you more storage options. Heck you can even connect a 1tb portable drive. Rooting Nexus 7 is relatively easy and it doesn't keep you from getting the OS updates. One big negative for the Nexus 7 is no camera in the back. Hopefully the next version will have one. As for games, which OS has the games you want to play? Some games are only on itunes.

Last edited by mavericksun; 05-10-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 6:44 AM
Banned

Does the nexus have a port for an SD card to add memory to it? If so then you could just buy a 32 or 64GB memory card and stick it in.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Does the nexus have a port for an SD card to add memory to it? If so then you could just buy a 32 or 64GB memory card and stick it in.
Nope, no SD card slot, I did read one source that indicated that an SD slot may be in th next version.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Seagate makes a pocket sized battery powered wifi enabled 1TB drive for use with tablets. It's $200 so it's not cheap.

If you'd rather go the dongle route you can buy them on Amazon for less than $5 but you need to buy the app.
Thats pretty cool. 1TB Seagate

밒n a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 05-11-2013, 8:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Kindles to me are sort of the one trick pony like the ipads. You are stuck to the Amazon world order.
Not correct. You just turn off the protected setting for installing external apps. Then install ES File Explorer followed by 1 mobile market and you can install anything you want just like any other android tablet.
Old 05-11-2013, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

No body is recommending a windows tablet I played with one at bestbuy for a bit and really enjoyed it. I don't remember the version but it was really nice in my opinion

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 05-11-2013, 8:11 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I personally rock an iPad 3 but my phone is a droid. I just bought me Ma a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for Mother's Day to replace her older Kindle. I will report back how she likes it.
Well me Ma loved the Samsung Tab 2, and it seemed really slick and responsive upon startup. We shall see in a week or two how the general impressions of it are.

Now I want one too.....
Old 05-11-2013, 8:40 PM
Ol' Grey Beard
CGN Contributor

Bought 2 Galaxy Tab 2 -7" - both have upgrade-able micro sd cards up to 32GB and came with android Jelly bean 4.1.1 and a nice case.

$179 each at Costco - both our cell phones are Samsung Galaxys so it makes it easy to adjust to the Tab's