Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-08-2013, 9:49 AM

Default REVIEW of the STI Lawman 4.0 9mm

This is a follow up to my initial inspection of the gun. THIS is going to be a LONG post with pics so bear with me. I hope you enjoy the read.

I picked up the Lawman on Monday and took it home to do a detailed inspection, strip, and clean. I then took it to the range and ran 235rds of WWB(200) and TULammo(25) Corbon (10)

Upon opening the box I inspected the Bluing and it was clean and uniform with a matte blued frame and slide with the slide flats polished, No scratches or imperfections at all. Starting at the front (muzzle) of the pistol I really like the fact that STI recessed the barrel, all sharp edges of the slide were beveled, even the bottom of the slide(nice touch), The barrel and bushing fit perfectly together and the Bushing fit tightly to the slide, no movement at all. The front and rear cocking serrations, while sharp definitely give very positive grasp and control of slide manipulation. Moving back to the barrel hood and lug fit, it is like a bank vault. All tests of fitment in this area showed stellar attention to fitting, correct link size, etc. The feedramp on the frame and barrel were polished to a mirror finish and the upper hood portion of the chamber was chamfered and polished as well. The bottom breech edge of the slide was contoured and polished as well as the breech face, and bottom edge of the extractor. All are nice, meaningful, thoughtful touches that add in reliability and overall smooth operation of the weapon. The frame and slide fit are very tight with NO movement vertically or horizontally and they ride like two pieces of greased glass.

The recoil master was neat but I am still on the fence as to if I like it more than a traditional recoil spring setup, I will do a comparison on this shortly. The trigger broke cleanly at 4lbs on the button with a little disconnector click prior to hammer and sear disengagement, but 2 minutes with a stone and that disappeared. Now it is probably the cleanest 1911 trigger I have ever felt(and I've felt a LOT), the disconnector was polished on the head as well as front and rear connection surfaces with the leaf spring and trigger strut, The middle arm of the leaf spring was rounded and polished where it contacts the disconnector(nice surprise). The palm safety was well fit, not impeccably like some higher end guns costing two to three times as much, but it was well fit and worked perfectly, the Safety arm was hand cut and stoned where it impedes trigger movement(another detail I like). The thumb safety was also well fit and functioned as it should. I have a pet peeve in this area and it is the same with Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer, Brown, and all others.....the safety can be pressed up far enough with the hammer down (not cocked) to impede slide movement. I fixed this with a custom ambi that I designed ( Strategic Defensive Solutions Tactical Ambi Safety)

The trigger shoe fit was ok, not great. The same as any other Semi custom maker....none of them seem to care too much about the trigger fitting firmly in the slot. It is another of my pet peeves in regards to detail. The front and backstrap were nicely checkered at 30lpi and the front strap was nicely high cut and has a french boarder to finish off the look of the checkering. The magazine well is beveled , grips are STI G10 and the magazines all seat and eject as they should, as a matter of fact STI hand fitted the mag release as well.

I took the gun apart to see what parts are MIM, here is the list.
1. Slide Release
2. Thumb Safety (replaced with a bar stock custom AMBI)
3. Magazine Release

That was all.

All in all I am really impressed with the overall quality and attention to detail. This gun is definitely a BEST BUY, even if you are spending a LOT more money.

Now it is time to head to the range
Old 05-08-2013, 9:50 AM

reserved for pics and range report, coming momentarily......as soon as I can get photobucket to work
Old 05-08-2013, 9:52 AM

I started with the pistol frog lubed the night before. I was running a lot of single fire drills from the holster and on a shot timer. I was able to pull off a drawstroke, and fire one round on target, ensuring a hit to a 4 inch circle at 10yds in .97 seconds. Thats good for me I ran single hand drills, both strong and support hand drills, rapid fire drills, switched up ammo, speed and tactical reloads, belt and thigh rack drills, strong and support hand, and ran a few El Presidente drills for a total of 200 rds of Wally World White Box(115gr), 25 rounds TULAmmo(124gr), and 10 rds of 147gr Cor bon.

No malfunctiuons of any kind, mags ran great, slide locked back 100%, mags dropped free and stayed in the gun, they seated with purpose and ejected with authority, cases ejected abruptly to my right, this thing is a tank. Now I just can not wait to shoot it more.

The only slow fire I did was 5 groups I fired....it performed well, and it was raining.

Three groups for your viewing pleasure.

There is a 7yd , 5 shot group
There is a 15yd, 5 shot group
There is a 25yd, 3 shot group.

7yd and 15yd groups were shot in a modified weaver stance and two hand grip.
25yd group was fired rested on a range bag.

3 shot 25yd group off a bag measured 1.4 inches center to center. (this equates to a 2.8in at 50yd gun with wally world white box)
If you notice the 25yd target, the first two rounds fired are the two at the top of the group, (pic is sideways) and the casings in the photo are 9mm casings for size reference. Meaning it is highly likely I pulled the third round. In a ransom rest it is possible all 3 rounds would have fallen within a verticle string the size of a 9mm casing, a 9mm casing is right about 3/4in tall. But not too shabby none the less.

All groups were shot with Winchester White box wally world ammo. So, good ammo, ransom rest, and the gun is even more accurate than what these groups depict. This thing is amazingly accurate.

Last edited by 1911whore; 06-05-2014 at 10:41 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 9:54 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911whore View Post
If someone cal assist me with getting pics up, that would be great.
You can attach images to your post by either uploading them to a hosting site like Photobucket or use the "Manage Attachments" option in the Reply window (not the quick reply)

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-08-2013, 9:57 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
If someone cal assist me with getting pics up, that would be great.
If you click the images you attached, you can use that URL as the image address to post them directly in your post: Here is one example. Quote my post to see the formatting.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-08-2013, 9:59 AM

I got the pics of the groups uploaded.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Great post. Any reliability issues FTF, FTE, etc?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM

I edited my post with the pics to include the firing session. No malfunctions of any kind, check it out.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The trigger shoe fit was ok, not great. The same as any other Semi custom maker....none of them seem to care too much about the trigger fitting firmly in the slot.
Springfield Armory Custom Shop cares about trigger shoe fit. Their trigger shoes are fitted tight, with only enough play to move back and forth smoothly.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM

I forgot to add. This gun cost me 1300 dollars brand new from the factory.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice!! I have an STI Trojan and it is one of my favorite pistols
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

hmmm I feel like I just saw an STI just like yours somewhere recently...
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 05-08-2013, 2:24 PM

Mike...you work ar tracy rifle and pistol right?
Old 05-08-2013, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Yah that's my shop :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 05-11-2013, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Pictures of the Pistol

Last edited by 1911whore; 06-05-2014 at 10:41 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 1:35 PM

I had a Lawman, and it's a high-end production gun, not a semi-custom like a Baer, Springfield Custom, Brown, most of the Wilson's, etc.
Old 05-12-2013, 3:11 PM
Banned

I saw one of these at DAS here in San Diego. Beautiful pistol.
Old 05-12-2013, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats. Nice pick up and report.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."