Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-07-2013, 5:02 AM

Default Wife finally got her CCW appt... now purse carry?

Hey Ladies, So my wife just got her ccw appt YAY!

Well, this is an area I cannot really help her... how to carry? after discussing it we have half *****ed agreed purse carry may be the best way to go..

how do you all carry?

thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2013, 9:01 AM

It will depend on what she is most comfortable with but many will suggest that she should carry on her person. That way if her purse is left in the car or if someone snatches it, she will still have her gun on her person. It's a more effective way to retrieve gun if she ever needs it and that way she is also always in control of it. Good luck and stay safe!
Old 05-07-2013, 9:07 AM

There is a special, stickied thread for this at the top of the Women's Forum.

Also, in the Womens Forum

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=722125

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=650089

This is one of the most-discussed topics on the Womens Forum. I would suggest that you simply search on "holster" or "carry" here and you'll get more than you hoped for.

Also it would be better if she wrote in herself, because she will be able to explain her unique needs better and we'd like to meet her.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 05-07-2013 at 9:14 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM

hey cool thanks for the links!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM

On body. I could never find a comfortable way to carry so I made my own. It's in here somewhere, easy to make and it's the only way I carry.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM

It's simplest to carry in a handbag or briefcase, but unless it's chained to your arm, the Bad Guy can grab not only your wallet but your gun as well.

On body is best, but for women that's not a simple proposition. Most holsters are made for straight bodied men, not for the curved bodies of women.

Try finding someone locally, in your Calguns Community Forum, who has a lot of holsters and ask meet them at a shoot and try things on.

Also, your wife should go to a good gun shop that caters to LEOs (lotsa holsters there), at a slow time of the week for them, and try holsters on till she finds one she likes. You should stay home when she goes there, because the salesman will wind up talking to you, and not her. And she is the customer.

This process is similar to a woman choosing her own gun. She must do it for herself Certainly with your advice and support, but don't shop with her.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:34 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

her pistol, her CCW, her decision: whatever way she wants to carry it.

rather than lock in to only one way is the right way, she can and should investigate for herself the options, try out as many as she can, and then make her decision.

if she hasn't found corneredcat.com yet, now is the time to do so.

its like buying a bra: until the buyer tries it on, said buyer isn't going to know what works or doesn't. you can research it all you want for her, but in the end its her body, pistol, and CCW.....and only she is going to know what works for her and why it does or does not.

admittedly i'm jealous that she has a CCW......virtually impossible in this county. sigh.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 05-08-2013, 4:08 PM

Just as a thought. www.designerconcealedcarry.com we saw them at SHOT and the ladies with us liked some of the products enough to buy on the last day of the show. Coupon code "ncmt" gets you $10 off. Know it aint much but covers shipping.

Old 05-08-2013, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Goat View Post
Hey Ladies, So my wife just got her ccw appt YAY!

Well, this is an area I cannot really help her... how to carry? after discussing it we have half *****ed agreed purse carry may be the best way to go..

how do you all carry?

thanks in advance
Congrats to your wife. What county? Or are you out of CA.
Old 05-09-2013, 8:57 AM

Why do these darn handbags COST so much. Sometimes over $ 300 for a vinyl bag?

Not picking on Designer Concealed Carry in particular, but what can be so hard about making an additional external pocket with two zippers and a cloth holster.

And Bodger, it's rude to ask the name or location of a person with a CCW. It's supposed to be a secret, after all.
Old 05-09-2013, 9:27 AM

I don't mind, We are in el dorado county.. They more and more she looks into it it may be worth it just to sew a actual soft hoslter into her current coach purses.. I have spent a fourtune on those things.. It's just so interesting for me to look at a female and wonder... wow where does one hide a subcompact gun?? I mean i'm 6'2 and 250 so I tend to have more places to hide one, two or even 3 firearms.
Old 05-09-2013, 1:34 PM

[QUOTE=BonnieB;11302199]Why do these darn handbags COST so much. Sometimes over $ 300 for a vinyl bag?

[QUOTE]

That there is one of lifes great mysteries. Then again she keeps askign me why I need ANOTHER gun so I just shut up about her purses.

Old 05-09-2013, 4:16 PM

My sister wanted me to do that to one of my Coach purses(don't F with my Coaches!) because she is a panicky woman who thinks I am going to shoot myself(I wonder how we are even sisters sometimes! I keep waiting for my parents to slap her senseless from beyond but no luck) and after I finished laughing at her(she is my older sister), I said "Fine, let me use one of your Coaches as a guinea pig to see if it works" and then she shut up and said "Well I can't tell you have it on you anyway, so just don't put your finger on the trigger as you draw" Ummm Duh? LOL I love my sister but honest to God sometimes I wonder how she was the straight A student and how she manages to breathe without having to be told to do it. And I say that with all the love in the world too.

With the Coach purses, be aware that those are HIGH priority snatching targets whereas the purses designed to carry are not brand name and therefore still nice enough to be snatched bit brand names are easily sold, ebay'd or CL'd so that would just draw more attention to that purse. I carry a Coach but my gun is not in it.
Old 05-09-2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Goat View Post
I don't mind, We are in el dorado county.. They more and more she looks into it it may be worth it just to sew a actual soft hoslter into her current coach purses.. I have spent a fourtune on those things.. It's just so interesting for me to look at a female and wonder... wow where does one hide a subcompact gun?? I mean i'm 6'2 and 250 so I tend to have more places to hide one, two or even 3 firearms.
Btw, bring her this way, I can show her my homemade holster and then she and I can hit the Coach Outlet in Vacaville! LMAO I am a Coach fanatic but the Outlet makes it a lot easier on my pocketbook. My husband doesn't ask how much my guns or my purses(and matching wallets!) cost and I don't ask how much his guns or NASA models cost(We have a 5ft Saturn V model in a lit, glass case, they ain't cheap). It all evens out... LOL