Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default Taking bluray player recommendations

So about 18 months ago I had bought a Vizio bluray player at Costco. About 6 months ago it started having issues and Vizio replaced it. This is when my issue starts.

The model I had was no longer available, but since my Tv only has component connections, they could not replace with the newer model (HDMI only). The one they sent me is a piece of crap - wont play certain blurays, I have to turn it off and turn it back on again to get the wifi to work, etc. so I'm looking for a new player. But everything I am seeing is HDMI connectivity only! I really don't want to replace a perfectly good Tv or stereo system yet, can anyone recommend a bluray model that has component connectivity?

Alternatively, should I just suck it up and move into the 21st century? Currently I have an onkyo HT-R510 for my stereo and my Tv is a Samsung 32" flat screen CRT 1080i (model TXN3275HF). I do have a Tv with HDMI inputs but I didn't hook it up because its only 720p, it's also a 32", and its a cheap model (dynex) (I won it at our Christmas party a year ago). Everything I do have is connected with component video and optical audio at present.

I was at Costco today and was looking at the Sony BDV-T79 3D bluray home theater. Assuming this is a decent unit, I figured that's the cheapest way to convert at the moment and hook up the dynex tv to it, can't really afford to drop a couple grand right now upgrading my home theater. (Need a new roof this year).

So...thoughts? Recommendations? Is the Sony a good unit? Any cons to going with the provided wireless rear channel speakers? Any chance I'd be able to get more than a couple hundred for the current tv and stereo?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2013, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're buying a Sony might as well get a PS3.
Old 05-04-2013, 2:17 PM

I 2nd the PS3. It'll do a lot more than play movies and they last a long time.
Old 05-04-2013, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

hold out for a ps4
Old 05-04-2013, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Another vote for the PS3; it only does.....everything. And they're priced not too much more than a solid blu-ray player anyway, at about $300?
Old 05-04-2013, 2:53 PM

Here is another vote for the PS3! I have a PS3 in my office, and it is great! I also have a Sony Bluray player, and the only thing different between the two is I can play games on the PS3 too.
Old 05-04-2013, 3:50 PM

I'd actually recommend not buying a blu-ray player.

Optical media is pretty much dead.

--B