Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Another bike vs. car thread

Hopefully this one won't go out of control.

(For the purposes of this post, I am only talking about full grown adults, not children, who I believe should not ride in the street)

As I understand the VC, bikes are subject to the same rules of the road (laws) as cars, and are also prohibited from being operated on the sidewalk.

A fe wmonths ago, I'm #2 in line at a red light facing west, waiting for a right turn. #1 vehicle stops at the limit line to allow some pedestrians to cross right to left. Once they're clear, he begins idling into the crosswalk. Suddenly, a cyclist on a 10 speed (the same kind of bike and rider you see in the canyons on weekends) shoots out in front of the guy from the sidewalk (right to left, eheading south) and the vehicle stops short. Meanwhile the cyclist wobbles and swerves almost into the northbound traffic, as if vehicle #1 hit him. Vehicle #1 is still stopped and the driver's door pops open, making think maybe the guy did hit the cyclist. The cyclist, however, never stops moving and continues on his way. Vehicle #1 driver after a minute's consideration gets in his vehcile and proceeds on his way.

Now, assuming they made contact, I know that the CA VC defines that as a collision. The question for the LEOs is, would the driver be obligated to file a report, considering the cyclsit took off? Also, where would the fault lie? And would there be any consequence if someone not the driver or the cyclist wrote down the driver's plate number and reported it to the local cop shop?

I'm curious, because I could totally see this happening to me, especially near my work, as one of the main drags (where this actually happened) leads to a lcoal canyon road popular with cyclists and motorcycle riders. The difference is I'm on a motorcycle, so the outcome might be a whole lot different. Personally, I think that the driver did the right thing, or at least it seemed like he was going to by stopping, and that by leaving the area, the cyclist was writing off any stake he may have had in making the incident "official" via a police report.

THanks for your input
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 07-12-2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
A fe wmonths ago, I'm #2 in line at a red light facing west, waiting for a right turn. #1 vehicle stops at the limit line to allow some pedestrians to cross right to left. Once they're clear, he begins idling into the crosswalk. Suddenly, a cyclist on a 10 speed (the same kind of bike and rider you see in the canyons on weekends) shoots out in front of the guy from the sidewalk (right to left, eheading south) and the vehicle stops short. Meanwhile the cyclist wobbles and swerves almost into the northbound traffic, as if vehicle #1 hit him. Vehicle #1 is still stopped and the driver's door pops open, making think maybe the guy did hit the cyclist. The cyclist, however, never stops moving and continues on his way. Vehicle #1 driver after a minute's consideration gets in his vehcile and proceeds on his way.

Now, assuming they made contact, I know that the CA VC defines that as a collision. The question for the LEOs is, would the driver be obligated to file a report, considering the cyclsit took off?

I would at least make a phone call, just to CYA.

Also, where would the fault lie?

I'm not a traffic car but I would put party at most fault as the bicyclist.

And would there be any consequence if someone not the driver or the cyclist wrote down the driver's plate number and reported it to the local cop shop?

Could be, depends on the situation/circumstances.
embedded
Old 07-12-2013, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Was there contact?