Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Default Illuminated reticle pros and cons?

One of my x-mas presents has got to be a scope for my Rem700P in 308. Been eyeing this one for a while--Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56mm LR. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but I don't want to outgrow my scope too quickly. The intended function of the rifle in question is target shooting primarily 100-600yrds, occasionally longer if my skills can handle it, and occasional varminting 100-300yrds.

So I was with a group of 4 guys who hunt and seem to have a pretty decent knowledge of guns and I mentioned the scope and how I wanted the illuminated mil-dot reticle as one of the options. Everybody broke into laughter. The next three minutes they discussed how useless an illuminated reticle was. I was caught by surprise. Wouldn't the illuminated reticle lengthen the amount of plinking I could do as I took advantage of being at the "range" as the sun went down? Wouldn't it be an enhancement for the scope and not a hindrance? Wouldn't it be an advantage if civilization collapsed and things were going bump in the night? It does add $170 to the already steep price...

BTW my original idea for a scope was a Leupold VX-3 3-9x40 with fine duplex.......

Any thoughts? I'll probably be posting a bazillion questions since this is my first tactical rifle build--you are warned!

Later!
Old 11-17-2007, 9:15 PM

Two of my target rifles have illuminated reticles. One is a Nightforce 8-32. For target shooting, the illumination is useful in seeing the crosshair from the black of the target. I've not tried hunting with it, but when I used it outdoors shooting at various things that were not black, the illumination did not make a difference.

The second one is a lower quality scope that I plan to give to a friend. I find the illuminated mildots distracting.

I think hunting and target shooting are different. The hunters I know use iron sights or low-power optics. The target shooters and varmiters tend to use higher power optics than hunters. For $170 difference, I'd go with the illumination, you can always decide not to use it. Why not ask the four hunters why they laughted at the illuminated reticle?

I have a 6.5-20x40 Leupold fine duplex. I'm not a big fan of the fine duplex. I prefer to have hold points for long-distance shooting, and my Leupold 6.5-20x40 does not give hold points. It seems like it would be fine for target shooting and shooting out to 100-300 yards, but I wouldn't expect to do so well at 600 yards with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBFRAGD View Post
One of my x-mas presents has got to be a scope for my Rem700P in 308. Been eyeing this one for a while--Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56mm LR. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but I don't want to outgrow my scope too quickly. The intended function of the rifle in question is target shooting primarily 100-600yrds, occasionally longer if my skills can handle it, and occasional varminting 100-300yrds.

So I was with a group of 4 guys who hunt and seem to have a pretty decent knowledge of guns and I mentioned the scope and how I wanted the illuminated mil-dot reticle as one of the options. Everybody broke into laughter. The next three minutes they discussed how useless an illuminated reticle was. I was caught by surprise. Wouldn't the illuminated reticle lengthen the amount of plinking I could do as I took advantage of being at the "range" as the sun went down? Wouldn't it be an enhancement for the scope and not a hindrance? Wouldn't it be an advantage if civilization collapsed and things were going bump in the night? It does add $170 to the already steep price...

BTW my original idea for a scope was a Leupold VX-3 3-9x40 with fine duplex.......

Any thoughts? I'll probably be posting a bazillion questions since this is my first tactical rifle build--you are warned!

Later!
Old 11-22-2007, 5:32 PM

I have Leupold VX-III Illuminated Circle-Dot 1.5-5x on my African dangerous game rifles. The illuminated reticle can't be beat on Cape Buffalo at dusk or when hunting anything in the forest/jungle. I am also a big fan of the circle-dot reticle for rapid sight acquisition, which can be important when hunting dangerous game.
Old 11-23-2007, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Generally, there are 2 types of illuminated reticles - low-light illumination, and daytime illumination.

The low-light illumination is most common, and washes out in brighter light. It's often used when the environment is fairly dark, like hunting at dawn or dusk, in shadowy areas, or against dark backgrounds. The idea is that you don't need the illumination when the light is bright, but you can lose the reticle against dark backgrounds.

Daytime illumination is (or should be) visible at all times. It's often used for tactical apps like CQB, where you want a fast pickup in unpredictable lighting with no confusion. The idea is to always have an bright, fast reticle, regardless of lighting, like if you're coming into a dark area from the bright outside looking for dark targets.

Typically, daytime illumination on magnified scopes is fairly expensive.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

If you want an illuminated reticle, get it. I hunt along with just about everyone in my family. The only reasons I can think of why they were against an illuminated reticle for a hunting rifle is they have a tendency to get "bumped" around and it is just one more thing that could break. In most states you can't legally shoot after it starts to get dark, so it really wouldn't be need, or maybe they were just jealous because you are buying what they really want.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene