Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 2:50 PM

Default Shout out to CMP Clinic

This Sunday I attended my first formal training/clinic for rifles at Ojai Valley Gun Club, the Civilian Marksmanship Program M1 Garand clinic.

It was a gorgeous day, I spent the first half in the target pits, second half shooting, and this was my first and only exposure to the M1 Garand, and the 30-06 AND 200 yards shooting. I managed to take the 2nd highest score, so I may be biassed but I had a great time.

We learned how to use the GI web sling, apparently using the USMC method of sling use for prone, and learned how to do off-hand target shooting using bone structure rather than muscle to hold and steady positions.

$35 bucks let me borrow a club rifle, all of my ammunition, instruction and the results get sent in to CMP (and since I'm about to become a member at OVGC) apparently gets me eligible to buy a Garand from the CMP. If you are a member of the CRPA this is also an affiliate of the CMP and gets you in to purchase.

12 shooters, 4 instructors, and lots of the guys brought up their own Garands some of them brand new from CMP, I think everybody had a great time.

I highly recommend this to anybody who hasn't yet bruised up their collar bone with a 10-pound WWII era service rifle shooting the venerable 30-06!