Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-03-2013, 5:08 PM

Default Sellier & Bellot .45acp FMJ...

I have a question concerning Sellier & Bellot .45acp FMJ rds. First of all is this a good round and is it a good price at $.57 per rd? I've shot many other brands but not this particular one and would like any input from someone who has. Also another question I have concerns shipping. Why does it cost more for one person to ship than another from more or less the same area into Calif (my area)? I've had 250rds shipped from Ia for $25.00, 200rds shipped from Wi for $15.00, and 1000rds shipped from Il for $25.00. All by UPS ground. I would think that more weight would bring a higher shipping cost but you can see from the prices I've printed that isn't the case. Anyone have any ideas or even better know for sure how that works?? Thanks for any replies. Be safe.
Old 05-03-2013, 5:15 PM

First off... They'll go bang. Different guns like different ammo. That's why I make my own.
As far as the price... Nothing is a good price these days. 57 cents a round sounds about right in the current climate.
Shipping prices... This isn't a serious question is it? People/companies charge whatever they want for shipping to cover their costs. Sometimes it matches the actual shipping cost from the carrier and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 05-03-2013, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Also some companies who ship higher volumes or have better relations with carriers get better pricing
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 05-03-2013, 5:41 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

S&B is typically very good ammo.

I have shot many thousands of rounds of it in many different calibers. Never had a problem with it.

And their .357 Sig FMJ ammo is extremely good.

Their brass is good to reload as well.
IMHO. It is a cut above Winchester White Box (WWB)

T
Old 05-03-2013, 7:03 PM

They tend to have tighter prime pockets tho!
Old 05-03-2013, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennasixty8 View Post
They tend to have tighter prime pockets tho!
Yep, I have a ton of S&B 9mm brass and seating the primers takes just a little more oomph than other makes.

OP, get it and shoot! I've only shot their 9mm, but it all ran fine through my Shield!
Old 05-03-2013, 7:29 PM

S&B is probably my favorite brand of ammo when I used to shoot factory.... price is pretty high.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Just be sure to stay the hell away from their shotgun rounds. Their field loads earned them the name of SOB shells in our group. Them red ones were dirt cheap, and the pain came freely when they fired.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:51 AM

Quote:
is it a good price at $.57 per rd?
Price is kinda steep......but if it's all you can get, get it.
Recently I have actually been able to find .45 on the shelf at about $.45 per rd.

I shot lots of S&B 9mm and .40 and I've had no issues.
Old 05-04-2013, 6:32 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've gone through a ton of this stuff (45ACP & others) and never had any problems. That price is a lot higher than it used to be but that's the way it is with all the ammo these days. Good ammo though.

As for shipping, I always try to order enough of something so that they waive the shipping costs or, just keep an eye on the vendors that have shipping promotions. Especially with the heavy stuff, it adds up quick. Oh, and when they say shipping & handling, they're getting you for the handling piece of it when they're charging more.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:20 AM

Default shipping

some business charge you the price of the box and packing as the shipping and handleing cost.... some include the box and packing cost in there overhead and add that to product cost...ck the shipping cost before purchasing there products...one way or another its in there....cheers...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought the price might be a little high but lately it seems to be the going rate in my area. Patience will be the key.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:11 PM

@nglayton $.45 per rd WHERE????