Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Back from Front Sight Tactical Shotgun Class

Just got back from the Front Sight Two Day Tactical Shotgun class! As always, it was a great trip. The first day was a mostly presentation practice with some shooting. Just about all shooting was done at steel targets. At the end of the first day, I went back to the hotel, took a shower, ate at the buffet then went to my room and was asleep in about an hour.

We patterned our shotguns at 7, 15 and 25 yards with 00 buckshot. It's nice to know how your SHTF shotgun will perform. Then we dropped to 50 yards and shot slugs to sight in our shotguns. OK, forgive me, I have to gloat. I've attached two pics of how my 870 did with just a bead front sight. That's 50 yards offhand with a bead front sight. I'll take it!

The second day was a lot of shooting from 15 or so yards. By the end of the day, I was pretty beat up. There was a drill of getting into the kneeling and/or prone positions.

Most of the shotguns I saw were Mossberg 500/590, Remington 870 and Bennelli semi automatics. All performed very well. I saw both combat and hunting shotguns.

If you are gonna go to the course, take a lot of bird shot, at least 200 - 250 rounds. At minimum, take a shell bag. If you can, take a shooting vest and shell holders like the ones made by California Competition Works. Due to an injury, I was not able to participate in the kneeling and prone drills so if you are tired and want to take a break, the instructors will never give you any grief about it.

It's a great course and I highly recommend it. I will be returning to take either this course or the Shotgun Skill Builder course in the near future. I've always been a shotgun affectionado but this makes me have more respect for the gun. It is absolutely nothing to be trifled with.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org

Last edited by diverwcw; 09-26-2013 at 1:50 PM.. Reason: Old post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Nice, sounds like you had a good time.

I posted some photos of my shotgun course and several other courses I took online. http://tablecrumb.com/FS/

Glock Armorer
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Very cool. I'd like to do a shotgun course. I can definitely shoot it, but never really put it through its paces.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffsbro View Post
Nice, sounds like you had a good time.

I posted some photos of my shotgun course and several other courses I took online. http://tablecrumb.com/FS/
Excellent! If you don't mind, I'd love to forward this link to some friends who are wanting to go there but are still putting it off.

Old 05-01-2013, 3:05 PM

I've done there day four day shotgun. It was a good class you will become familiar with your shotgun.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 05-01-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

sounds like fun!
Old 05-01-2013, 3:50 PM

Now join me for the 4 night shotgun over the 4th!!

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 05-01-2013, 7:29 PM

I'm going to the May 20 4-day shotgun class. Do you do the shoot house in the shotgun class or any or the canyons?
Old 05-01-2013, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppew View Post
I'm going to the May 20 4-day shotgun class. Do you do the shoot house in the shotgun class or any or the canyons?
I was in the two day class and we didn't do the shoot house but we did the canyon. I don't know if the four day class will do the shoothouse and will certainly go into the canyon. I think you will likely be on Rifle Range 2. That's the very last range on the property.

We actually used very little buckshot but used a ton of bird shot.

Old 05-01-2013, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

The two day class is the first 2 days of the 4 day class.
This way you can upgrade into the 4 day course.

The shoot house and night shoots are on day 3&4.

If one can, take a 4 day class. The two day was just a tease if you like what you are learning.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Not sure they do night shoots in the basic classes now...
Regardless, this is a great class, lots of skills, lots of practice,
but keep that stock tight on your shoulder or you will be black and blue.
Also, I saw a nice wood butt-stock badly chipped clearing a malfunction-- it made me glad to be hammering my plastic 870 without a care.
Old 05-02-2013, 2:10 AM

sigh... if only my 870P wasn't so front heavy... too many accessories? perfect for a trip to the range ie 1 hour - wouldn't be fun for a 8hrs x 4 days.

i would love to use my s12, but its just not a practical use of time/money while still living under CA's asinine laws and an m2 is a ways off budget/priority-wise
Old 05-02-2013, 4:53 PM

That's why I got a 870 tactical, short stock, 20ga. 4 day class easy for me and my wife. She shoots all lines, while some of the guys get tired and sit out. Once she did a 4 day SG after a 4 day Uzi.

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for posting diver, I've read some reviews on the course and tips on getting the shotgun ready. Like deburring the loading port, etc. any tips you can share? What she'll holders were people using? Any tips are appreciated. I have a mossberg 930spx.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Keep in mind I did the two day course. Your Mossie will hold up fine.

Get a sling, one or two point, it doesn't matter. I have a two point 1 inch leather sling on my 870 and it was great.

I used the shell holders from California Competition Works

http://tinyurl.com/cwc4xcn

and they were great. Lotsa people used side saddles and they were also good.

Just my opinion, but I don't like the bandoleers you wear across your shoulders or the shell loops on the sling. They seemed pretty worthless.

I would wear some loose fitting BDU type pants or cargo pant shorts (it's starting to warm up). They will give you plenty of pocket room for shotshells, or you can get a shotshell bag like the one they sell at cabela's or nearly any gun store

http://tinyurl.com/cxwoc87

They tell you to bring XX amount of birdshot and XX amount of buckshot. In reality, there are very few times you actually need buckshot. You will need it to pattern your gun and for the exercise in the canyon. You will shoot about 25 slugs. Other than that, it's all birdshot on steel targets. Shooting birdshot to me equates to saving $$$.

You will do some kneeling and prone exercises. Kneepads would be great for that. If you have elbow pads bring them for that exercise but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase them just for it.

I brought one of those PAST recoil shields but didn't use it. Several people wore them. After awhile you get pretty beat up. If I was staying for the four day, I would have definitely worn it.

Stay hydrated and don't be afraid to sit any evolution out if you get too hot or tired. Most of all, have fun and learn a lot. I've always been a shotgun affectionado but this had really cemented my respect and admiration for that weapon.

Old 05-07-2013, 4:16 PM

I took the 2 Day Shotgun in the last couple of weeks and ONLY recommend it if you are already fairly comfortable shooting buckshot and slugs (not just birdshot) repeatedly with your gun before you go (IE: very comfortable with your gun and in really good physical shape). "I THOUGHT" (so don't yell at me lol) getting the gun and up into a proper position was just too rushed in the training; and about 20% of my class elected to "take the rest of the day off" at the middle of day two with a number of injuries from shoulders to a broken finger? While I recommend the handgun course at FrontSight for just about anyone - any experience (even none) and any physical shape - but do not think their 2-Day Shotgun course is appropriate for everyone.

As to equipment: Definitely bring your own low recoil ammo since you never know what they have. Recoil pad on the gun and one for the shoulder, knee and elbow pads if you're staying for 4 days or prefer short sleeve shirts, shorts etc. I'd recommend one of the velcro side saddles with at least four pull-offs. And lots of pockets!

I posted a review of the SHOTGUN course on Yelp if you want to read the long version... http://www.yelp.com/biz/front-sight-...8Kf7-scjhmfrbA

Last edited by RunsWithGuns; 05-15-2013 at 3:21 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

I am glad you enjoyed it. I took the 4 day and am a big fan. It is too bad that they don't want to teach the advanced classes. (DG both shotgun and handgun now) If they did, I wouldn't have had to spend the big bucks to go to the Gunsite advanced tactical course. It was a great time too.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-08-2013, 4:41 PM
CGN Contributor

wait theres no advanced shotgun course anymore? i've only done a 4 day hg

man. i want to go to shotgun 4 day at FS soon! i just setup a benelli m4.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolamonkey View Post
wait theres no advanced shotgun course anymore? i've only done a 4 day hg

man. i want to go to shotgun 4 day at FS soon! i just setup a benelli m4.
There is still an advanced class, but now to be able to attend it, you have to get distinguished graduate in the 4 day shotgun, and the 4 day handgun. Front Sight does not want to do advanced classes, so they have made it very hard to attend them.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-09-2013, 7:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default DG Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
I am glad you enjoyed it. I took the 4 day and am a big fan. It is too bad that they don't want to teach the advanced classes. (DG both shotgun and handgun now) If they did, I wouldn't have had to spend the big bucks to go to the Gunsite advanced tactical course. It was a great time too.
What's involved in the skills test for shotgun. I've shot DG handgun and would love to shoot DG shotgun.

Old 05-09-2013, 8:54 AM

Good write up. I can't wait to get back to take either the shotgun or rifle course. I'm leaning toward the rifle course but that could change. The 4 day pistol class i took last year was great and i've been itching to get back ever since.
Old 05-14-2013, 4:12 PM

Nice recap. I prefer 4 day classes since there's more shootin'! I'll get out to the SG course someday...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the report, OP!

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Just to be clear - I would not ONLY take a velcro side saddle (and 4+ strips) - I had a Choate 6 Shotshell Holder that was nice have along. You really want access to a lot of ammo since once you are out it's a hot trek to get more from your bag lol. Here is a link for the holder at Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/422...omposite-black
Old 05-19-2013, 8:51 PM

oh god i have always wondered who could do the shot gun class... Im so glad you had a ball i always feel so empowered and good after a front sight course!
im a FS junkie. im glad you are stoked!

I have done the pistol and rifle and i love it but im always beat down after wards. the conditions in parumph are pretty harsh... i just couldnt imagine... my shotty and i dont get along... not one bit.

Last edited by shotlady; 05-19-2013 at 8:55 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
oh god i have always wondered who could do the shot gun class... Im so glad you had a ball i always feel so empowered and good after a front sight course!
im a FS junkie. im glad you are stoked!

I have done the pistol and rifle and i love it but im always beat down after wards. the conditions in parumph are pretty harsh... i just couldnt imagine... my shotty and i dont get along... not one bit.
If you have a 12 gauge, have you considered a 20 gauge? They are a bit more friendly on the shoulder. There were a couple of people in the class with 20 gauges.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM

i think what i need to do is regroup, save money and get a nice 20 ga semi auto.

I have a single shot 410 that just bruises me all up. the stock isnt appropriate for me.
thank you for reaching out to me.
Old 02-15-2015, 6:59 PM

Just returned from the 2 Day Class again 2/2015 -- my thoughts / suggestions if you are taking the shotgun course at FS -- your mileage may vary as they say --

Take your own (pre fitted to you) gun, their rental guns seemed to have lots of issues and breakdowns. Very frustrating for the renters.

Bring some of your own (low recoil) ammo if you can find it, they had low recoil at decent prices, but the lowest 00Buck was 1325 fps I think. Prices were not bad. You could use more Bird and less Buck than shown on the website. Don't be afraid to Dry Practice some of the rounds BEFORE you start to tire too much.

Definitely do the short kneeling and prone practices - they have (temporarily?) replaced the canyon exercise with a multi level (stand, kneel, prone) exercise on the range. You'll want the practice, because the (fun) end of day two exercise is fast and requires you to do all three levels. Most of us got by without elbow pads but I appreciated my knee pads (pricey Arc'teryx Leaf).

Over half the class used shoulder pads and seemed very happy to have them. Nothing sissy about protecting your shoulder - or at least having the option if you want it as the shots add up.

Last: If you are new, look for a partner with the same type (pump or semi) or at least stand next to folks with guns like yours -- otherwise the exercises can be confusing since some steps are different.