Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-01-2013, 7:52 AM

Default Carrying my G19

As my final draws near i was thinking about how i would carry my gun on a daily basis. I love my G19 but heard alot of horror stories about accidental discharge on most glocks due to no saftey. I recently purchased a holster shirt and i have a trition iwb galco kydex holster so i thought about not chambering the gun until i really need to. What do you glock owners do when your carrying? Thanks.
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Old 05-01-2013, 7:56 AM

Buy a Sig instead

=P

Last edited by Eldraque; 05-01-2013 at 3:02 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:05 AM

Not trying to create a stir of what to carry but more of those who carry a glock keeping it chambered without being paranoid of accidental discharge.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:12 AM

Talking

I use a M.i.c holster. Like when we met up I was carrying a g27 wearing just tshirt and shorts totally not noticeable due to it's low material design the mic only covers the trigger. only thing I don't care for is "Mexican carry" besides that the m.i.cs are cool for glocks! But if your concerned about discharge make sure any holster you Get covers that trigger, you don't want to carry without one in the chamber your response time will be allot slower . Glock is the best concealed carry weapon nothing to snag your clothes and no safety to mess with

Last edited by glock_monster; 05-01-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:14 AM

you can train on how to quickly chamber a round when holstering and shooting from the hip a la:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdh...rTbcg&index=20

or keep your finger off the trigger.

EDIT: let me rephrase that. not saying you're dumb enough to have your finger on the trigger without being on target, but that's what will happen on many accidental discharges for any gun without an actual safety. something catching the trigger whether it be your finger or something else.

Last edited by esy; 05-01-2013 at 8:18 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:24 AM

Ya its more of something catching on the trigger and not actually me having my finger on it. When i took my ccw class my instructor advised me to not chamber it in cuz he had had seen way too many accidents. Thats why he never favored glocks.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:37 AM

if you think about it and practice drawing, nothing will catch that trigger if you're doing it right.

your instructor has probably seen way too many accidents with untrained persons that know nothing about firearms and how they operate.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:37 AM

I felt the same way. JUST purchased a raven holster(vanguard II) look it up. It was 40 dollars shipped and received it in less than a week. Perfect for glocks!
Old 05-01-2013, 9:04 AM

Ok thanks guys i appreciate the feedbacks..
Old 05-01-2013, 9:13 AM

I've EDC'd a Glock 23 for almost 10 years now and prior to that 1911's. I've always carried with a chambered round. I use predominately IWB and OWB Galco holsters because they seem to work the best for me.

AD or ND's are caused by the person leaving their finger on the trigger, while reholstering or putting their finger on the trigger before they're on target. Also, while reholstering and clothing getting caught in the trigger guard. To avoid this you just make sure you do not force your gun back into the holster. You don't have to race to reholster a gun because if you're reholstering the threat is over. Take your time and make sure your finger is off the trigger and no clothing is in the way.

If any of us aren't comfortable carrying with a loaded chamber we need to train more.

That being said, if I have my gun in my backpack or a bag because I can't carry on my person for some reason I don't chamber a round. That's because if it comes loose out of the holster I don't really want something to cause a ND or AD.

Just my .02..
Old 05-01-2013, 9:16 AM

Dry practice your holster and presentation. You should do this whether you are concerned about a nd or not. Practice, practice, practice, especially if you plan on carrying.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:24 AM

Supertac916 & SDblaster thank you for feedback. You made good points about it ..
Old 05-01-2013, 9:43 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

This is 100% correct. I've carried a Glock 30 for the past 12 years and a Glock 23 before that for another five (oh god I'm old).

In my experience, 99.999% of these NDs are caused by the two things Supertac mentioned.

Train to keep that trigger finger indexed properly when drawing and reholstering and you're almost all the way there; when I reholster I also practice sweeping any shirttails, etc out of the way.

Practice and you'll be cool. Remember, literally thousands of people carry a Glock in Cond 1 every single day with no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertac916 View Post
I've EDC'd a Glock 23 for almost 10 years now and prior to that 1911's. I've always carried with a chambered round. I use predominately IWB and OWB Galco holsters because they seem to work the best for me.

AD or ND's are caused by the person leaving their finger on the trigger, while reholstering or putting their finger on the trigger before they're on target. Also, while reholstering and clothing getting caught in the trigger guard. To avoid this you just make sure you do not force your gun back into the holster. You don't have to race to reholster a gun because if you're reholstering the threat is over. Take your time and make sure your finger is off the trigger and no clothing is in the way.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If any of us aren't comfortable carrying with a loaded chamber we need to train more.

That being said, if I have my gun in my backpack or a bag because I can't carry on my person for some reason I don't chamber a round. That's because if it comes loose out of the holster I don't really want something to cause a ND or AD.

Just my .02..
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
This is 100% correct. I've carried a Glock 30 for the past 12 years and a Glock 23 before that for another five (oh god I'm old).

In my experience, 99.999% of these NDs are caused by the two things Supertac mentioned.

Train to keep that trigger finger indexed properly when drawing and reholstering and you're almost all the way there; when I reholster I also practice sweeping any shirttails, etc out of the way.

Practice and you'll be cool. Remember, literally thousands of people carry a Glock in Cond 1 every single day with no worries.

I've carried a striker fired gun daily for the 2 1/2 years I've had a CA LTC/CCW and can tell you that it's safe as long as you follow the guidelines above. Don't skimp on holsters, make sure the mouth is reinforced and won't collapse. Take your time with your finger off the trigger and clear all clothing, straps or anything else while reholstering.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM

G19 Chambered IWB Carried For Over A Year Now. NO Problems. Be Dilligent And Carry Every Day.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Yeah I wouldn't worry about ND bro just carry one in . I have for the last year zero problems . It's All about your holster and learning how to draw. Always clear your clothes from the way of your holster before drawing and finger on frame until ready to fire
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

I've carried a glock since 2003 in different types of holsters and configurations and I've never had a ND. As long as you're not negligent you should be ok.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:34 PM

Well i do feel better about now.. Just had me thinking lol
Old 05-01-2013, 1:50 PM
Super Moderator

It's all good.

Here, get one of these. Wear it and practice the mantra daily.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 05-01-2013, 2:04 PM

Hahaa nice
Old 05-01-2013, 2:11 PM

Keep in mind that there is no reason you should ND re-holstering. If it's safe enough to re-holster, it's safe enough to take your time with it and make sure nothing is in the way. There should be no-such thing as a "speed re-holster".

I don't think I need to expand on what everyone else has said about drawing.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 05-01-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
It's all good.

Here, get one of these. Wear it and practice the mantra daily.

Where can I get one? I NEED one of these! Lol
Old 05-01-2013, 4:25 PM

Congrats on owning the Glock 19. I bought my first Glock when they came out with the 19 in the 90's. ALWAYS carry my Glocks with one in the chamber. Like others have said,practice,practice. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 4:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
love my G19 but heard alot of horror stories about accidental discharge on most glocks due to no saftey. I recently purchased a holster shirt and i have a trition iwb galco kydex holster so i thought about not chambering the gun until i really need to. What do you glock owners do when your carrying? Thanks.
You are serious? You heard stories? On the internet? Then get a gun with lots of safeties. Or get a revolver, after all, there are no safeties on double action revolvers... The only way ANY gun can discharge is the MORON attached to the gun pulls the trigger! WTF. Yeah, carry with an empty chamber, and after the perp puts 3 rounds into you while you are screwing around trying to chamber, well, it won't matter then.

You should rethink getting a CCW, well that is if you even get approved. Why don't you ask your issuing agency what they think about unloaded carry?

I carried 1911's from 1968 to 1992, and Glocks ever since then. This is as stupid as asking if you should decock a 1911.
Old 05-01-2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
You are serious? You heard stories? On the internet? Then get a gun with lots of safeties. Or get a revolver, after all, there are no safeties on double action revolvers... The only way ANY gun can discharge is the MORON attached to the gun pulls the trigger! WTF. Yeah, carry with an empty chamber, and after the perp puts 3 rounds into you while you are screwing around trying to chamber, well, it won't matter then.

You should rethink getting a CCW, well that is if you even get approved. Why don't you ask your issuing agency what they think about unloaded carry?

I carried 1911's from 1968 to 1992, and Glocks ever since then. This is as stupid as asking if you should decock a 1911.
ouch! ^^^^^

I like the G19 (I call it my wife's stapler...katak, katak...) but like my Sig better
Old 05-01-2013, 6:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperP2005 View Post
Where can I get one? I NEED one of these! Lol
Right here; they have a couple cool shirts:

http://www.endoapparel.com/

I really like this one.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 05-01-2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Right here; they have a couple cool shirts:

http://www.endoapparel.com/

I really like this one.

Sweet!
Old 05-01-2013, 6:53 PM

Regarding highlanders comment. What he stated is absolutely true. I've read some of his straight forward posts regarding ccw's though they might sting a little, it's true. I've pondered the thought about carrying without one in the chamber and it doesn't make sense regardless if you have time to rack-point-pull. IMO, that seems more dangerous simply for the fact you are trying to do too much at once in a stressful situation. The more you practice the better you'll feel!
Old 05-01-2013, 6:59 PM

+1 on highlanders comments!!!

Maybe you should forget the LTC and invest in a good bat.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:30 PM

If you haven't shot much in the past you should take a good course and then practice, practice, practice with an empty, empty, empty gun pulling it and re-holstering. Always make sure your trigger finger is pointing down the barrel and not near the trigger guard. Have your wife watch you carefully as you practice and don't strap on the Glock or any other gun until you are very confident you have mastered drawing with your finger away from the trigger guard. Don't get a Blackhawk Serpa holster as your first holster and don't get a leather holster as a first holster. The Serpa has issues that may be a problem for a new shooter and a leather holster, especially a cheap one, can get soft and fold up into the trigger guard as you re-holster.
Old 05-01-2013, 8:03 PM

1 suggestion Crossbreed holsters. They are the best for IWB holsters! Pistol disappears on ur waist! Superb customer service as well.
Mag in, Rack the slide, slip in holster with finger OFF the trigger, and NEVER LOOK BACK!
Old 05-01-2013, 8:13 PM

I understand his direct message .. I'm not backing or being scared of it.. Of course concerned. I've been practicing everyday and maybe if I have that concerned I just need to practice more. It's probably that first time concerned since most you everyone here has been carrying for a long period of time. I appreciate all feedback and opinions. It just reminded me to practice more everyday.
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Old 05-01-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big67 View Post
1 suggestion Crossbreed holsters. They are the best for IWB holsters! Pistol disappears on ur waist! Superb customer service as well.
Mag in, Rack the slide, slip in holster with finger OFF the trigger, and NEVER LOOK BACK!
I was so disappointed when I received my white hat hybrid holster... I was amp'd up when I ordered it thinking it would be the ultimate holster. I'm envious of everyone who swears by them. They just don't work for me and now I'm out 120 bucks! Haha oh well..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
I was so disappointed when I received my white hat hybrid holster... I was amp'd up when I ordered it thinking it would be the ultimate holster. I'm envious of everyone who swears by them. They just don't work for me and now I'm out 120 bucks! Haha oh well..
Well, that's why I ordered the Foxx. I wasn't sure if I was too skinny for the Hybrid, so I have it a shot. It didn't work for my narrow frame so I'm switching it out for an all-Kydex Trapp.

Slightly more expensive, but worth it.

Which holster did you wind up using?
Old 05-01-2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
I understand his direct message .. I'm not backing or being scared of it.. Of course concerned. I've been practicing everyday and maybe if I have that concerned I just need to practice more. It's probably that first time concerned since most you everyone here has been carrying for a long period of time. I appreciate all feedback and opinions. It just reminded me to practice more everyday.
If you want to get more comfortable carrying a Glock. Take some classes with instructors who carry and specialize in safe carry of them. If you're in Sac you should try Gordon from Gray Ops and there are a few others as well. They do beginner classes on up and one of their favorite sayings is "SBG" (Should have Bought a Glock)

We've gone through many different makes and models of guns and very few stand up to the Glock's reliability. The courses run through 250-400 rounds and every platform I've seen besides Glock's, HK's, and Springfield XD's have had issues. Sig's, Kimbers, various 1911's, S&W auto's, Ruger's, etc. end up malfunctioning or parts literally fell off of them during the class. I also noticed that the guys shooting the DA/SA guns like the Sig end up throwing their first shot due to the heavy trigger. Revolvers are a option, but even though some of the class attendees have them on their permits they never use them in the class for some reason. I think it's the DA triggers because all of us train, where we draw and shoot. Not racking the slide, pulling the hammer back, or messing with the gun. You only have time to draw and fire.

Take some classes. They're expensive due to class and ammo costs, but a lot of fun and give you things to practice on your own.

Last edited by Supertac916; 05-01-2013 at 8:47 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
Well, that's why I ordered the Foxx. I wasn't sure if I was too skinny for the Hybrid, so I have it a shot. It didn't work for my narrow frame so I'm switching it out for an all-Kydex Trapp.

Slightly more expensive, but worth it.

Which holster did you wind up using?
For the g26 I went with the vanguard II

For the p2000sk I went with the versa carry.
Both holsters are as minimal as it gets!

Best for appendix carry, I think anyway. I want to try the comptac 2 o'clock. More of a 'holster' than the vanguard and versacarry
Old 05-01-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
For the g26 I went with the vanguard II

For the p2000sk I went with the versa carry.
Both holsters are as minimal as it gets!

Best for appendix carry, I think anyway. I want to try the comptac 2 o'clock. More of a 'holster' than the vanguard and versacarry
I am VERY interested in the VG2. How well does it stay in place? Do you use the belt loop?

I have a Glock 26 as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
If you want to get more comfortable carrying a Glock. Take some classes with instructors who carry and specialize in safe carry of them. If you're in Sac you should try Gordon from Gray Ops and there are a few others as well. They do beginner classes on up and one of their favorite sayings is "SBG" (Should have Bought a Glock)

We've gone through many different makes and models of guns and very few stand up to the Glock's reliability. The courses run through 250-400 rounds and every platform I've seen besides Glock's, HK's, and Springfield XD's have had issues. Sig's, Kimbers, various 1911's, S&W auto's, Ruger's, etc. end up malfunctioning or parts literally fell off of them during the class. I also noticed that the guys shooting the DA/SA guns like the Sig end up throwing their first shot due to the heavy trigger. Revolvers are a option, but even though some of the class attendees have them on their permits they never use them in the class for some reason. I think it's the DA triggers because all of us train, where we draw and shoot. Not racking the slide, pulling the hammer back, or messing with the gun. You only have time to draw and fire.

Take some classes. They're expensive due to class and ammo costs, but a lot of fun and give you things to practice on your own.
I strongly disagree. $200/day plus ammo is nothing compared to failing to protect yourself or family when the time comes.

The rest is good, though I have not had the same experience with the M&P series of autoloaders. They have been every bit as reliable as a Glock, but they do rust much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:06 PM

It moves a little, Depending on your belt. But nothing to worry about. There's 3 settings for the depth of concealment, Works best on the 2nd for the g26. It has plenty of retention so I wouldn't use the cord it came with. Plus it's too damn long.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm curious where 'all those horror stories' come from
I know 'a lot' of glock owners/carriers and have never heard of a AD/ND among any if them
Keep your finger off the trigger, and watch your holster for obstructions
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates