Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-06-2013, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
I actually disagree with you. I got a new iphone 4 (second in 3 years) for free with my contract and its just as fast side by side as my buddys iphone 5. Same features, etc.

For free I would go with the iphone 4 or 4s. I was not impressed with the 5.

I use unlimited texting, internet and thats it. The 4 or 4s will suffice just fine for that. 5 has only speed, which I didnt really see and thats not a selling point for me thus wasting money on a 5 was not worth it.
I agree that many people probably don't notice the difference between a 4 and 5. Hell, some people probably wouldn't notice the difference between a $20k car and a $50k one.

I notice a tremendous speed difference between the two. When I click on an app I want it to open immediately. When playing games I don't want them to lag. The iPhone4 can't even keep up with a game as simple as Subway Surfers without lagging when it gets going fast.

You can YouTube side by side videos of the two to really see the differences in speed. The LTE speed difference is amazing. So is the ability to stream high def movies without waiting for them to buffer.

I'm not saying that the 4 is obsolete by any means. But the 5 is quite an upgrade IMO. And my opinion is coming from someone that's owned all of them. Right now I have a 3, 4, 4S, and a 5. Including 3 iPads, and 3 iPod Touches.

But my biggest complaint of the iPhone4 is not having a dual processor. The ability to mirror to an AppleTV is a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-06-2013, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I agree that many people probably don't notice the difference between a 4 and 5. Hell, some people probably wouldn't notice the difference between a $20k car and a $50k one.

I notice a tremendous speed difference between the two. When I click on an app I want it to open immediately. When playing games I don't want them to lag. The iPhone4 can't even keep up with a game as simple as Subway Surfers without lagging when it gets going fast.

You can YouTube side by side videos of the two to really see the differences in speed. The LTE speed difference is amazing. So is the ability to stream high def movies without waiting for them to buffer.

I'm not saying that the 4 is obsolete by any means. But the 5 is quite an upgrade IMO. And my opinion is coming from someone that's owned all of them. Right now I have a 3, 4, 4S, and a 5. Including 3 iPads, and 3 iPod Touches.

But my biggest complaint of the iPhone4 is not having a dual processor. The ability to mirror to an AppleTV is a deal breaker for me.
This is for the most part true, however, I think you are overlooking one major detail. It isn't so much the LTE that is boosting the speed so much, its the fact that the 5 is a much stronger phone AND it has LTE. Hook up a T1 connection to a piece of crap computer and it will still be slow. Computers (Smart phones are indeed computers) are only as strong as their weakest component. That said, if you somehow hooked up an iPhone 4 to a 4g LTE network, it would still be a slow pile of crap, much like the iPhone 5 is when compared to it's Android equivalents that are running quadcore processors with double the ram for the same price. Same LTE network, much better performance. Not rocket science.. yet.

I don't see how anyone can get excited for a new iPhone that is already one of the weakest phones in it's class the day it releases. What a waste of money.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Pretty simple. If you like the iPhone and need a phone today, get one. If you don't mind waiting, wait for the 5s. In the end, it's just a phone and neither will change your life. I went from a 4 to a 5 and the only reason was because I sold my 4 for nearly the upgrade price of the 5, making the upgrade nearly free. I think my old 4 worked better in some ways though, so don't think that the latest and greatest is always a good thing...especially from post Jobs Apple.