Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 AM

Default IPhone 5 or wait for 5s?

Like it says, what should I do. I'm with t mobile.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:08 AM

Imo you might as well wait
Old 05-01-2013, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just go get the 5, pretty soon the 6 will announced and the they chase game starts again. I went from the 3GS to the 5 - that's a big difference. 5 to 5S not goning to be to much change.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-01-2013, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Wait for the 5s to come out, then get the 5 at a huge discount.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Frankly, I'd wait for the 6 if you're not in a huge hurry (seriously.) I have a 4 and I won't be upgrading to the 5s, rather I'll be waiting for the 6.

But if you want one sooner than later, NytWolf has good advice.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

iphone 5 SUCKS!!!

im on my 5th PHONE! with AT&T
Old 05-01-2013, 7:41 AM

I got the iPhone 4 and am going to wait it out for the 6. My 4 is still running flawlessly.

"Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie
Old 05-01-2013, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

I would wait it out for the 5s, shouldnt be too much longer, worst feeling is buying a 5 and realizing the 5s comes out right after

Old 05-01-2013, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on what you have now. If you're on a 4 or lower then a 5 is a huge jump. I'd do it. If you have a 4S then I'd wait. The 4S is still a pretty capable phone. The 4 isn't IMO. I have a 4, 4S, and a 5. The 4 can't keep up with my normal use. It's just too slow. Not having a dual processor sort of does it for me. Not to mention the camera on the 4.

I am really enjoying the 5 and can't wait for the 5S to come out. I did see a leaked report two days ago saying that per-orders for the 5S will start on June 20th and shipped in July. Not sure if it's 100% true but if it is it would probably be wisest to just wait unless you really hate your current phone.

I am surprised by how fragile the iPhone 5 is. The aluminum case is easily scratched and dented. I dropped mine on the concrete from about 4 feet up on Sunday and the whole corner of the phone crushed in. The 4/4S is better built IMO. It can take more abuse.

I went and got a new phone Sunday night at the Apple store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-01-2013, 1:23 PM

Do you need the larger screen? If not, the 4s and 5 are functionally the same. There is no feature the 5 has that the 4s doesn't have, other than the screen size difference.

If it were me, I'd buy the 4s now and use it until I decided I couldn't hold out for the next iphone, whether that is the 5s (because it added some feature I felt I needed over the 4s, or 5) or it is the 6 and there is a major revision in the iPhone design.

The 4s is really quite good. I am very happy with mine and it runs everything just fine, even in comparison to the 5 (I've checked out friend's 5's).
Old 05-01-2013, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
Do you need the larger screen? If not, the 4s and 5 are functionally the same. There is no feature the 5 has that the 4s doesn't have, other than the screen size difference.

If it were me, I'd buy the 4s now and use it until I decided I couldn't hold out for the next iphone, whether that is the 5s (because it added some feature I felt I needed over the 4s, or 5) or it is the 6 and there is a major revision in the iPhone design.

The 4s is really quite good. I am very happy with mine and it runs everything just fine, even in comparison to the 5 (I've checked out friend's 5's).
I actually don't think the screen size difference is worth upgrading alone for. I didn't mind the older smaller size. The new larger screen is a little nicer but not by much IMO.

I do like the thinness of the 5. I wish the 4 was the same thinness. The 5 is noticeablely faster than she 4S in IMO.

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-01-2013, 3:06 PM

Sources say the IP6 won't be out until June 2014--that is a long time to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Frankly, I'd wait for the 6 if you're not in a huge hurry (seriously.) I have a 4 and I won't be upgrading to the 5s, rather I'll be waiting for the 6.

But if you want one sooner than later, NytWolf has good advice.
Old 05-01-2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
The 5 is noticeablely faster than she 4S in IMO.
I haven't seen a huge difference in speed in every day usage (phone, web, email, etc). Certain apps, yes. Features-wise, I'd rather wait for the next newest iphone and get the 4s, especially if the 4s came with a lower contract lock in time (or I got one used so I wasn't locked into a contract).

Just my 2 cents.

(And I fully admit it's easy for me to say so, because I currently have the 4s. that being said, I haven't seen my friends using their 5s and felt like I was really missing out.)
Old 05-01-2013, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I haven't seen a huge difference in speed in every day usage (phone, web, email, etc). Certain apps, yes. Features-wise, I'd rather wait for the next newest iphone and get the 4s, especially if the 4s came with a lower contract lock in time (or I got one used so I wasn't locked into a contract).

Just my 2 cents.

(And I fully admit it's easy for me to say so, because I currently have the 4s. that being said, I haven't seen my friends using their 5s and felt like I was really missing out.)
I couldn't agree more. Makes perfect sense. I'm as big an Apple fanboy as you'll ever meet. When they come out with a new device I'll buy it. I'm also a speed junky. If there's a faster version I want it. The difference between a 4S and 5 isn't huge. But the 4 is downright slow IMO.

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 05-01-2013, 5:56 PM
Tactical Mall Ninja
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
There is no feature the 5 has that the 4s doesn't have, other than the screen size difference.
Gosh darn, your screenname is amazingly accurate. The 5 is an LTE-capable phone. The 4S is not. I've run speed tests with my 5 in certain LTE wired areas here in the Bay Area, and seen 50mb down and 30mb up. No 4S could approach that even under optimal coverage conditions.
Old 05-01-2013, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lol you can get a DNA/One/equivalent for the same price as a iPhone 5.. by the time 5s is out, it'll probably be cheaper. Is there even really any comparison? I'm pretty sure the DNA has already crapped all over the iPhone 6 concept phone.. so it's not like the 5s is going to magically beat it. If you just want to stick with an apple product.. I'd say get the Iphone 5 and not wait.. you really won't get anything worth waiting for. The only reason I could see to wait would be that you'll probably save 50 bucks on the iPhone 5 once the 5S launches.

Why people still dump money hand over first into Apple's old technology is a mystery to me. Kinda like people who spend an extra $200 on a phone with 64g internal memory and then dump it all into Cloud.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksmart View Post
Gosh darn, your screenname is amazingly accurate. The 5 is an LTE-capable phone. The 4S is not. I've run speed tests with my 5 in certain LTE wired areas here in the Bay Area, and seen 50mb down and 30mb up. No 4S could approach that even under optimal coverage conditions.
Optimal coverage conditions. Look, I don't want to get into a fight about this.

If you feel you need the best and the baddest, by all means, go out and get a 5. I have no real issue with that, other than it's not going to be too much longer before we see what the 5s (or 6) looks like.

All I'm saying, is that from a features stand point, there is nothing the 5 is doing, that the 4s is not doing. I'm talking about the difference in features like when Siri came out and older phones, even though they got the OS update, didn't also get Siri capability.

Or feature differences in camera quality between, for example. the 3gs and the 4.

I have not personally seen, in every day usage, the 5 being remarkably faster than the 4s. This is side to side usage doing the same things.

Not enough for me to feel bad I'm still on the 4s when I'm seeing everyone using the 5.

To me, the most marked difference is the screen size. I have no issue passing on that until I see what the next iPhone looks like.

(And believe me, I know what using a slow iphone is like when everyone else around you is upgrading as I was on a 3g (not even 3gs) while everyone had transitioned to the 4 and I went from a 3gs to the 4s, finally. Those were huge, noticeable differences, in speed).

Last edited by Iknownot; 05-02-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 05-03-2013, 6:11 AM
Tactical Mall Ninja

Quote:
Optimal coverage conditions. Look, I don't want to get into a fight about this.

If you feel you need the best and the baddest, by all means, go out and get a 5. I have no real issue with that, other than it's not going to be too much longer before we see what the 5s (or 6) looks like.

All I'm saying, is that from a features stand point, there is nothing the 5 is doing, that the 4s is not doing. I'm talking about the difference in features like when Siri came out and older phones, even though they got the OS update, didn't also get Siri capability.

Or feature differences in camera quality between, for example. the 3gs and the 4.

I have not personally seen, in every day usage, the 5 being remarkably faster than the 4s. This is side to side usage doing the same things.

Not enough for me to feel bad I'm still on the 4s when I'm seeing everyone using the 5.

To me, the most marked difference is the screen size. I have no issue passing on that until I see what the next iPhone looks like.

(And believe me, I know what using a slow iphone is like when everyone else around you is upgrading as I was on a 3g (not even 3gs) while everyone had transitioned to the 4 and I went from a 3gs to the 4s, finally. Those were huge, noticeable differences, in speed).
If you're going to render your opinion based upon a limited sample size (since you don't carry around a 5), at least make accurate statements. LTE capability is a significant enhancement of the 5 over the 4S, and you're the only person who has attempted to gloss over this. When it comes to download and upload speeds, noticeably faster trumps slower every time. And that gap will only become more noticeable as carriers pour new investment into LTE and none into the older HSPA+ that the 4S maxes out at.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 PM

I am talking every day usage for most people, and I'm not glossing over anything.

If you travel all the time and are on the cell network for your internet usage, and you use your phone A LOT for internet usage, then by all means, get the 5.

the 85% of everyone else probably won't be noticing the difference that much, myself included.

That's all I'm saying. I'm sure you disagree with me though. We just have two different viewpoints. All I'm saying is that I'd personally wait to see what the 5s or 6 looks like before deciding to commit to a 5, because the 4s is good enough (especially if not getting locked into a contract so close to the new iphone release).

Obviously, you feel the 4s is lacking. To each his own.

Last edited by Iknownot; 05-03-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 8:41 PM
Tactical Mall Ninja

Quote:
I am talking every day usage for most people, and I'm not glossing over anything.

If you travel all the time and are on the cell network for your internet usage, and you use your phone A LOT for internet usage, then by all means, get the 5.

the 85% of everyone else probably won't be noticing the difference that much, myself included.

That's all I'm saying. I'm sure you disagree with me though. We just have two different viewpoints. All I'm saying is that I'd personally wait to see what the 5s or 6 looks like before deciding to commit to a 5, because the 4s is good enough (especially if not getting locked into a contract so close to the new iphone release).

Where did I EVER say the 4s is lacking? Kindly point that out for me, as I read nothing in my responses where I state the 4S pales in comparison to the 5.

I simply pointed out that you made a patently incorrect statement of:

Quote:
There is no feature the 5 has that the 4s doesn't have, other than the screen size difference.
If failing to mention the LTE capability of the 5 is not glossing over as you claim, then we'll have to chalk that up as wholesale ignorance on your part. It's akin to saying that any Porsche 911 is the same as a 911 Turbo.

I'd also recommend that you either back up your statement of:

Quote:
with some proof of a valid study or sample that confirms that over 5 out of 6 people who used a 4S and 5 side by side for a decent period of time noticed no difference in speed between the two devices, or you're just demonstrating again that you like to type stuff on the internet that is simply your misguided opinion trying to masquerade as fact.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:48 PM

I got the iPhone 5 and I love it. I'm coming from android and its just so well thought out and I love it all around. I don't care if the 5s will be better software wise because this will get updated anyway and the hardware should be the same. Either way I'm happy.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Where did I EVER say the 4s is lacking? Kindly point that out for me, as I read nothing in my responses where I state the 4S pales in comparison to the 5.

I simply pointed out that you made a patently incorrect statement of:

If failing to mention the LTE capability of the 5 is not glossing over as you claim, then we'll have to chalk that up as wholesale ignorance on your part. It's akin to saying that any Porsche 911 is the same as a 911 Turbo.

I'd also recommend that you either back up your statement of:

with some proof of a valid study or sample that confirms that over 5 out of 6 people who used a 4S and 5 side by side for a decent period of time noticed no difference in speed between the two devices, or you're just demonstrating again that you like to type stuff on the internet that is simply your misguided opinion trying to masquerade as fact.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rdIWK...%3DrdIWKytq_q4
Old 05-04-2013, 7:35 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I had the 4 and went to the 5 and it was a huge difference. Not that the 4 was a bad phone, it's just so much nicer having the larger screen and that alone is worth the upgrade. I can't really see what the 6 would have that would be so much better then the 5 because the 5 does everything I need it to.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

I have the 5 and I dislike Siri, I don't think its all that useful.

Does anyone know how I can always use the iPhone app for directions? When I click addresses on some websites, it takes me to Google - I hate that.

Like everything else...
Old 05-04-2013, 8:58 PM

Wait...
Old 05-04-2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus View Post
I have the 5 and I dislike Siri, I don't think its all that useful.

Does anyone know how I can always use the iPhone app for directions? When I click addresses on some websites, it takes me to Google - I hate that.

Like everything else...
I think it's how the site links it, like it is a link to google maps. not like how an address on the iphone is made a link to the iPhone maps app. but agreed - annoying.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:03 PM

oooh yeah, you're getting close to the next release, just wait it out.

if you can hold out another year - then wait longer! hah
Old 05-04-2013, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Galaxy S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-05-2013, 1:14 AM

Relax park smart, the 5 is just a phone, and pretty much the same phone as the 4s, but with a larger screen.

Anyone who needs the latest, greatest iPhone should by all means go out and get it. I was merely trying to point out, that due to apple's release schedule, the actual latest and greatest iPhone may only be months away. And when you have to deal with contract lock in and upfront purchase prices, it may be wise to look at the older and less great (though perfectly viable) 4s. At least as a stopgap until the newest iPhone comes out.

To each his own, but I know I'm going to be happy I will at least be able to consider the 5s (or 6) at the end of this year because I am not locked in a contract at this point. That's not something someone buying a new 5 now will be able to say, unless they are willing to go fully out of pocket, and most people are not willing to spend that much on a smart phone.
Old 05-05-2013, 5:39 AM
Tactical Mall Ninja

Quote:
Relax park smart, the 5 is just a phone, and pretty much the same phone as the 4s, but with a larger screen.

Anyone who needs the latest, greatest iPhone should by all means go out and get it. I was merely trying to point out, that due to apple's release schedule, the actual latest and greatest iPhone may only be months away. And when you have to deal with contract lock in and upfront purchase prices, it may be wise to look at the older and less great (though perfectly viable) 4s. At least as a stopgap until the newest iPhone comes out.

To each his own, but I know I'm going to be happy I will at least be able to consider the 5s (or 6) at the end of this year because I am not locked in a contract at this point. That's not something someone buying a new 5 now will be able to say, unless they are willing to go fully out of pocket, and most people are not willing to spend that much on a smart phone.
Wow, you're still trying to defend your wrong opinion here?

This guy does a pretty thorough job of pointing out the differences between the 5, 4S and 4:

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-ip...phone-4/24351/
Old 05-05-2013, 6:05 AM

I like the i5, got it 2 months ago (had blackberry) at the apple store unlocked and like it alot. I had it on Tmobile ($70 month) and service wasnt very good where I lived near the 5 & 605 fwy.
theres some good deals on the net if you look for them, I would buy now if you really need a phone.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-05-2013, 6:20 AM
"Dickish" Juggernaut
CGN Contributor

I had the 5. Now I have a note 2, best decision. Android all day! Hehe

Sent from five fingers to the face.
Old 05-05-2013, 8:33 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Galaxy S4.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
This has to he a record for how long it took an android troll to come into an iPhone thread lol.
Old 05-05-2013, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had a BB, it was good at that time. Then went to Droid, I really liked it... for about 4 months. After the first software update it seemed slower and did not function smoothly. After 18 months and several more updates, it was buggy, would reboot itself regularly and would not send pictures via text message. I used it that way for the last 4 months o my contract while I waited for the Iphone 5.
I got the 5 when they first came out and I really like it. It WORKS! My wife has a 4, my son has a 4s and my daughter and I have the 5. The 5 is far superior to the 4 and noticeably faster than the 4s. I'm sticking with Apple.

"Common sense is not very common"
Old 05-05-2013, 9:50 AM

I'd wait for the 6.

Apple has been pretty steady in their release dates (iPhone AND iPad). We can expect 5s around Oct and 6 around Jan/Feb. If you have a 4 now, that's only 9 months or so to get vastly different/hopefully improved tech that'll last you another 2-3 years.

I wait tables at a Santana Row (San Jose) restaurant, and get groups from Apple in all the time. With my most recent group, last week, as I returned their credit card, I said my usual "Thank you for dining with us, etc" and jokingly added "and make sure the 6 kicks total butt" and they all laughed and pointed to one guy at the table, who smiled, nodded, and said "Trust me, we're working on it!"

If you do a Google search for "iPhone release dates" and "iPhone 6 specs" and such, you'll get tons of information. Then do the same search a week later and get DIFFERENT information that usually contradicts what you previously saw. Truth is, it's all rumors and conjecture. Go with past history when looking at Apple:

We'll get the 6 around Jan/Feb.
Old 05-06-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Wow, you're still trying to defend your wrong opinion here?
You honestly think its a "wrong" opinion to suggest to someone no to get locked into a 2 year contract when the new iphone is 5 or 6 months away?

Really? Assuming they just want an iphone that works well and not necessarily the iphone that is currently the best?

That's all I was suggesting. I certainly would not go out and get a 5 right now. Not with the next iphone release so close. I don't think you are doing anyone any favors suggesting otherwise. Not in the release time frame we are looking at. A used 4s with no contract would be the much safer bet for the next 6 months. But go ahead, tell me how I'm wrong again.

Last edited by Iknownot; 05-06-2013 at 9:42 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM

I remember back in the day, winning at the Internet. Kudos to you sir.

Last edited by Iknownot; 05-06-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Depends on what you have now. If you're on a 4 or lower then a 5 is a huge jump. I'd do it. If you have a 4S then I'd wait. The 4S is still a pretty capable phone. The 4 isn't IMO. I have a 4, 4S, and a 5. The 4 can't keep up with my normal use. It's just too slow. Not having a dual processor sort of does it for me. Not to mention the camera on the 4.

I am really enjoying the 5 and can't wait for the 5S to come out. I did see a leaked report two days ago saying that per-orders for the 5S will start on June 20th and shipped in July. Not sure if it's 100% true but if it is it would probably be wisest to just wait unless you really hate your current phone.

I am surprised by how fragile the iPhone 5 is. The aluminum case is easily scratched and dented. I dropped mine on the concrete from about 4 feet up on Sunday and the whole corner of the phone crushed in. The 4/4S is better built IMO. It can take more abuse.

I went and got a new phone Sunday night at the Apple store.
I actually disagree with you. I got a new iphone 4 (second in 3 years) for free with my contract and its just as fast side by side as my buddys iphone 5. Same features, etc.

For free I would go with the iphone 4 or 4s. I was not impressed with the 5.

I use unlimited texting, internet and thats it. The 4 or 4s will suffice just fine for that. 5 has only speed, which I didnt really see and thats not a selling point for me thus wasting money on a 5 was not worth it.

Sig Sauer
HK
Elcan
Steiner

Last edited by Endless; 05-06-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
I actually disagree with you. I got a new iphone 4 (second in 3 years) for free with my contract and its just as fast side by side as my buddys iphone 5. Same features, etc.

For free I would go with the iphone 4 or 4s. I was not impressed with the 5.

I use unlimited texting, internet and thats it. The 4 or 4s will suffice just fine for that. 5 has only speed, which I didnt really see and thats not a selling point for me thus wasting money on a 5 was not worth it.
When I upgraded from the 4 to the 5, the difference was night and day in terms of speed. Maybe I slowed down a bit after two years but I noticed a huge difference once I upgraded.
Old 05-06-2013, 1:09 PM

I, sigh, am writing this on my 3....... All you lucky bastiges