Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default Cube credit card reader- anyone?

Just ordered one to use with my galaxy sIII.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, just curious what your opinion is if you use one.

I'm a bit concerned about security of it since my own bank card has been stolent twice...

I figure its nice to have the option of customers using a card instead of cash or check, though I only get about 3-4 people/yr asking for it. Heck, it's all free, just 2.75% per transaction- why not?!?

Thanks,
Postal!
Old 04-30-2013, 1:52 PM

I have the free card reader from PayPal. It's linked to my account. Swipe a card, the funds go into my PayPal and I can transfer whatever I want into my bank account. I also have a PayPal debit card linked to it as well. I have a friend who owns a business who uses the cube, it seems to work pretty good.
Old 04-30-2013, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went with the PayPal reader as well but I haven't used it. I'm going to have a garage sale in a few weeks and I'll see if anyone wants to use it.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 04-30-2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRyder View Post
I have the free card reader from PayPal. It's linked to my account. Swipe a card, the funds go into my PayPal and I can transfer whatever I want into my bank account. I also have a PayPal debit card linked to it as well. I have a friend who owns a business who uses the cube, it seems to work pretty good.
I have both as well as a merchant account holder. I know people bash paypal but it sure has made life easier.
Old 04-30-2013, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use Square. No problems, quick deposits.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:35 PM
Banned

I have a paypal acct I never use.

Tried to buy something from here on classifieds with paypal and couldnt jump through the hoops to do it. It really pi^&ed me off trying to use it. I wont use it again.

I refuse to use paypal anything. Certainly would not use a credit card reader linked to paypal. That would be the last thing I would put with....

My credit union takes cube- one employee I asked said its great, he uses it for a side business. Just wondering about other peoples experience with it.

Concerned about security since its sending CC info over wireless.

I normally take regular checks. Quick clear/deposit is not a concern really, just reliable and secure is my issue.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:55 PM

I have Square - I use it for Amex, because their flat rate is a lot better than paying Amex $5 or $10/month + close to 5% per transaction. I also use it when I'm out of the office and want/need to make sure I'm getting paid before I put a lot of time in on someone's problems.

The main downside I see is that they don't keep a record or make it easy for you to keep a record of who has paid you - if you're selling coffees off of a cart for $5, that's not a big deal. If you've got transactions in the hundreds or thousands of dollars, it's pretty helpful to be able to go over the transactions from yesterday/last week/last month and make sure that everything that's shown in the Square app is also in your accounting system. But not keeping customer names makes that tough. So that's a little aggravating.

But basically I like it.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 04-30-2013, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know if they use the same reader, but I've heard they work really well for the hookers in the silicon valley.........just saying.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
I use Square. No problems, quick deposits.
Me too. Been pretty painless so far....

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 04-30-2013, 8:53 PM

they work well for mobile businesses where you set up booths places.

customers don't seem too weird about using it either.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Me too. Been pretty painless so far....

... I won't even ask why a cop would need to collect money "on the go," so to speak ...

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 05-01-2013, 2:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Just ordered one to use with my galaxy sIII.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, just curious what your opinion is if you use one.

I'm a bit concerned about security of it since my own bank card has been stolent twice...

I figure its nice to have the option of customers using a card instead of cash or check, though I only get about 3-4 people/yr asking for it. Heck, it's all free, just 2.75% per transaction- why not?!?

Thanks,
Postal!
You said cube, but I assume you mean Square?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdawg View Post
I have Square - I use it for Amex,
And Discover, which is even rarer in my experience.

Quote:
The main downside I see is that they don't keep a record or make it easy for you to keep a record of who has paid you - if you're selling coffees off of a cart for $5, that's not a big deal. If you've got transactions in the hundreds or thousands of dollars, it's pretty helpful to be able to go over the transactions from yesterday/last week/last month and make sure that everything that's shown in the Square app is also in your accounting system. But not keeping customer names makes that tough. So that's a little aggravating.
For this reason alone, I write a separate paper receipt before going to swipe the card in the square reader. I keep a copy and give the customer a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
they work well for mobile businesses where you set up booths places.

customers don't seem too weird about using it either.
This is my business too and it works great.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 05-01-2013, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use Square and have had no problems with it.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-01-2013, 8:43 AM

Just started using square.
2.75 for swipes in person and 3.25?% for manually entering in cards over the phone or internet.

Ive noticed some changes in the TOS that kinda pissed me off, that are firearms related. Square has no issues using the device to swipe a card even if it was for a firearm that I sold. However, they do NOT allow manually input of a credit card if it was for a firearms sale. So in theory, if I sold a gun over the net, I'd have to ask the buyer to mail me their credit card or something like that so I can swipe it in person. Pretty bummed out about it. I was hoping to use square for any firearms I might sell on a forum on gunbroker...
Oh well. Screw paypal and their fees, they can pound sand.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just checked Squares site and found this under their Prohibited Goods and Services. They have 29 services that are blocked and after looking at the list, I understand where they are coming from. I am not happy with the firearms sales being prohibited, but I agree with many of the other services that are blocked. It is specifically "Internet/mail order/telephone order" related.

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/arti...s-and-services

Internet/mail order/telephone order firearm or weapon sales
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-01-2013, 9:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Square has it's place for small businesses and peer to peer transactions. As your business grows i would consider using an actual merchant account. They "break even" point is approx $2,200 a month in sales. At that level the lower % on your own merchant account would offset the monthly fees associated with your own merchant account.

Square aslo has had PCI Complaince issues - - http://merchantdoctor.hubpages.com/h...-PCI-Compliant

Again, it has it's place but should not be considered the answer for all mobile businesses. If you are looking for mobile processing and process $2200 a month or more please consider you own merchant account. I would be happy to help. We offer the fullline of mobile processing devices known as PaySaber www.paysaber.com

Steve Kimberling
Eureka Payments
P)877-476-0570 Ext 200
F)707-476-0574
stevek@eurekapayments.com
Old 05-01-2013, 9:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I have Square -

If you are doing this type of volume, i have a solution that not only allows firearms sales, but also stores much more data than it sounds like you are currently getting.

take a look at http://www.paysaber.com and if interested let me know...

Steve Kimberling
Eureka Payments
P)877-476-0570 Ext 200
F)707-476-0574
stevek@eurekapayments.com
Old 05-01-2013, 5:16 PM
Banned

Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Yes, I meant "square".

BlakDawg. Interesting. Thanks, something to keep in mind, but I always have paper reciepts as well.

Peter, HAHAHAHAA!!!!! TOO FUNNY!!!! (Sorry Ron, but that was funny!)

Steve/Eureka,

Thanks for the info. My business is primarily check with occasional cash, and occasional people asking for credit card.

These could be anywhere from $80 to $10.5k per transaction, but it is not the primary payment method for my business, and since I just got a smart phone, I figure why not accomodate this feature though it would not be a primary form of payment most likely.

Dean,
My hand written reciepts already show if a customer paid cash or check (if check, what check number, so dealing with a few to a dozen CC payments per year shouldnt be hard to handle... just put amt/day/time of transaction on the reciept along with last 4 of CC number???)

I'm sure in the future more people would use credit/debit, but my business is not there yet. As I said, I only have about 4 people per year ask me if I take CC's right now.

Thanks all,
Postal

Last edited by postal; 05-01-2013 at 5:19 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Dean,
My hand written reciepts already show if a customer paid cash or check (if check, what check number, so dealing with a few to a dozen CC payments per year shouldnt be hard to handle... just put amt/day/time of transaction on the reciept along with last 4 of CC number???)
I only write name, and which type of card (V, MC, AE, D). Then in the square description I'll write the paper tag # as well as a short description. The square auto-saves the last 4 of CC and so far I haven't needed it for anything. I had one customer call me up after an event asking for a duplicate receipt. I asked for name, logged into square clicked "resend receipt" (or something equally easy) and it resent the email receipt. Uber easy!
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 05-10-2013, 7:19 AM

So they just revised their new TOS user agreement.
NOw they prohibit sales of any firearms, ammo, firearm parts, and any type of weapon designed to harm.
Screw them, Im sending them a nasty email and telling them they are no different than paypal, and I might as well stick with them.